Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What would you want if it were possible to make one change in your bowling ???

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

Judy I sent you a private message because I was not smart enough to find how to reply to your blog. Anyway, I have found mark baker's book "Game Changer" to be just that! Has change my game for the better by showing how to be consistent and much more. Also go to Bowling4fun.com and read all those great and helpful articles by Ron Clifton. There are more but these two are the best I have found.

For those of you on the other side of the country, I wish I could get on a plane and show up to help you out. Unfortunately, that's cost prohibitive and your best bet is to find a "Good" local coach. It'll be money well spent. As far as some of the comments, I'll try to give you a better perspective here.

For those of you lacking in accuracy, try not blinking your eyes until "you see the ball roll over your target". Yeah, one micro second of a blink and you can blow a shot. Not the easiest thing to learn but with practice you can get it easily. Remember...."YOU CAN"T HIT WHAT YOU DON"T SEE".

For those that feel they are muscling the ball, listen up. Let gravity do it's job. When you push the ball, or drop the ball into your swing, DO not use your muscles. If you've been bowling more than a few months, this is not hard to learn. Let your muscle memory take over. IF you let gravity swing the ball (remember you're moving quite quickly down the approach ! ), and only use a little bit of force at your release point (the EXPLOSION POINT as I like to call it) - you should see a remarkable difference.

For those that fall off balance at the line, slow down and sty in time with your arm. Make adjustments to where you start the ball in your stance, adjust your foot speed (slow, slow, quick, quick) and post your shot at the line. Several times recently while working with some one locally, I have "fixed" their problem, just by having their bowling side leg kick over to the opposite side for balance. Plus keep the non-bowling arm stretched out. THESE are your balancers !! Use them. You should be able to stay "completely" balanced at the line on JUST your slide foot, UNTIL THE BALL DROPS OFF OF THE PIN DECK. IF you can do this on very shot, you will see an amazing difference in your leverage at the line. Case in point...helped a lady a couple of weeks ago with this exact example. She was bowling in a tournament the next day and wanted some pointers. This was a Saturday. On Sunday afternoon she called me to say everything worked well, AND she won the tournament AND $1000.00 !!! And she was bowling against many bowlers much higher average than hers. So it does work.

Questions? Let me know. And no, I'm not going to fly all over the country to give lessons....LOL.
    Bob

"There truly is such a thing as a bad night and when these doomed evenings arrive you can't avoid them. But there's a bright side to this, it's that bad nights won't kill you, and sometimes will make you a little smarter."

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Bob, I spent 90 minutes Thursday evening working with a young man I had nicknamed "dumper". I told him he was Thumper's bowling brother. He says he has been bowling for years but took a break for a couple of years and lost his form.
    I concentrated first on giving him a slide, complete with balance leg. Then I moved his index finger to 1:00 throughout the swing and put his balance arm in proper position. He couldn't believe the movement he was getting out of his Cyclone on fresh oil. Tomorrow at league I will get to see how much he has been practicing what he learned.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Yeah, it's nice when you coach someone, and you can see the immediate improvement. What they sometimes don't understand is once they have learned a different way of doing something they need to get down to the lanes and practice, practice, practice. I've spent countless hours with some people that just never get it. Sorry to say, I'm always unavailable to them when they want more help. No use wasting his time, my time, and in some cases his money. Can't buy me enough advil to overcome the disappointment. LOL
    Bob

"There truly is such a thing as a bad night and when these doomed evenings arrive you can't avoid them. But there's a bright side to this, it's that bad nights won't kill you, and sometimes will make you a little smarter."

Chats: 55

Quote Originally Posted by Tampabaybob View Post
    I've spent countless hours with some people that just never get it. Sorry to say, I'm always unavailable to them when they want more help. No use wasting his time, my time, and in some cases his money. Can't buy me enough advil to overcome the disappointment. LOL
    I seem to be leaning on "timing" to be the answer to this question. With timing and balance at the line, you get away with a lot of little mistakes.

Bob...I hope I'm not one of these people to my coach. I know I tend to forget things easily, and I try and write everything I can down. Sometimes, I just forget from lesson to lesson. Is there anything I can watch from my coach to see if what you are talking about is happening? I know there are a few things we addressed in my first lesson, that I now have questions about, but I'm thinking it's because it wasn't "expanded" on and in going forward I have started to question myself. Any suggestions on being a "good student"?

SandBagger

If I could make one change to my normal bowling style, I'd adjust my swing plane. At some point when I go back to one-handed, that's what I'll be working on.

Chats: 55

[QUOTE=classygranny;85926]

Bob...I hope I'm not one of these people to my coach. I know I tend to forget things easily, and I try and write everything I can down. Sometimes, I just forget from lesson to lesson. Is there anything I can watch from my coach to see if what you are talking about is happening? I know there are a few things we addressed in my first lesson, that I now have questions about, but I'm thinking it's because it wasn't "expanded" on and in going forward I have started to question myself. Any suggestions on being a "good student"?[/QUOTE]

Bob or anyone...suggestions on this? I go for next lesson on Thursday.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

There is nothing wrong in repeating what was said to you in a previous lesson (shows you were paying attention) and saying how now that you've been trying to put these items into your game you know have questions about them. Let's face it, how can a person have a good question about something they may have never heard of before and have never done before?
    As a coach you don't want to always go into too much detail until you think the client is ready for it. It's kind of like me trying to explain quantum physics to my wife, all you get is a blank stare.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

[QUOTE=classygranny;86276]
    Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post

Bob...I hope I'm not one of these people to my coach. I know I tend to forget things easily, and I try and write everything I can down. Sometimes, I just forget from lesson to lesson. Is there anything I can watch from my coach to see if what you are talking about is happening? I know there are a few things we addressed in my first lesson, that I now have questions about, but I'm thinking it's because it wasn't "expanded" on and in going forward I have started to question myself. Any suggestions on being a "good student"?[/QUOTE]

Bob or anyone...suggestions on this? I go for next lesson on Thursday.
    If you have spent at least some time since your last lesson practicing one or two of the things that your coach wants you to work on, you're not in danger of being one of "those" bowlers that Bob was talking about.

Good teachers realize that students will have questions on things that have already been covered, especially as the student tries to apply the lesson. By all means, bring your questions to the next lesson. Every one learns in somewhat different ways and it shouldn't bother him to try a few different ways of explaining something.
    John

Release the ball the same way...every time! All the rest I can adjust for. I get lazy, distracted, tired, etc. and the ball comes off my hand to early or it is a week shot. It is amazing to me how much mental discipline is necessary just to throw a ball...reminds me of my baseball coach, football coach, hockey coach, drill sergeant, boss, wife, kids....gosh...remind me again why I play this game????

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast