Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would having alternate THS and sport patterns on league nights be a good idea?

Chats: 0

I think that alternating every week from a THS pattern to a sport pattern would not affect bowlers with low averages who throw a straight ball all of the time. For bowlers that know how to throw a hook ball it would be a different story. I wonder if you can make a ball set up for a THS pattern work on the sport pattern just using a lateral move with the feet along with a target move to set up for a pocket hit.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Hammer, yes you can just move your feet, target and hand positions to get to the pocket on a sport shot with a regular ball. The different balls just make it easier and allow for a better line to create better pin carry.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post

Standard leagues can use sport patterns and not be Sport leagues because the sport patterns meet the requirements for standard league patterns.
    Ought to attract lots of sandbaggers who could get an average based on bowling sport patterns half the time that wouldn't have to be adjusted for tournaments, although tournament managers could do a re-rate if they realized what was going on.
    John

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Ought to attract lots of sandbaggers who could get an average based on bowling sport patterns half the time that wouldn't have to be adjusted for tournaments, although tournament managers could do a re-rate if they realized what was going on.
    "Renegade leagues" That's a whole other discussion that's come up before.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 03-22-2013 at 04:02 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I think that alternating every week from a THS pattern to a sport pattern would not affect bowlers with low averages who throw a straight ball all of the time. For bowlers that know how to throw a hook ball it would be a different story. I wonder if you can make a ball set up for a THS pattern work on the sport pattern just using a lateral move with the feet along with a target move to set up for a pocket hit.
    It's not like a ball no longer hooks. I mean, if you are using a light oil ball, you are screwed if you try to hook it, but I throw my heavy oil balls my first game of league on a THS. My Invasion or Sync will hook regardless of which pattern I bowl on. It might just take longer to hook so you have to play a straighter line instead of swinging it outside. It also forces you to be more accurate. Put me on any sport pattern, I can hook the ball. It's just the difference between being able to miss by a few boards in either direction and still hitting the pocket vs. missing by just one board and missing the pocket completely.

It would be cool, but unfortunately just about nobody wants it

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by EboniteKid299 View Post
    It would be cool, but unfortunately just about nobody wants it
    And yet it seems to me that most of the people who've replied would like this. Go figure.
    John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12