Thread: Useful link about choosing bowling ball weight.....

Chats: 0

Default Useful link about choosing bowling ball weight.....

http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip14.htm

If you want to pick the right bowling ball weight for you then this link might help you. The weight you pick can make you hit your highest potential or make you hit a lower average then your best. The wrong weight can make you have less control of your release or have you put less revs on the ball or affect the timing of your swing. That 16 pound ball you have might not be your best friend. Maybe you try a 14 pound ball and you find that weight to be easier on your wrist when the ball is reaching your release area. It doesn't make your wrist bend back as you reach that area so you lose revs and your full hook potential. When I was younger I used a 16 pound ball. As I got older I went to a 15 pound ball. Then when I got to my middle 60s I came up with wrist issues and went to a 14 pound urethane Blue Hammer. Now I wish I went to a 14 pound ball earlier. I was able to have an easier time of keeping my wrist from bending back on the forward swing and keeping my hand behind the ball with a straight or a little cupped wrist and my fingers under the ball at release so I had more power in the shot and more speed and revs which for me at 66 is a good thing. Us old guys are fragile you know. If you have weak wrist strength then maybe using a wrist support along with a 14 pound ball will help you make your highest average you can achieve. If you go to FAQ at the top of this forum you will see links posted by 75lockwood. Scroll down until you see Ron Clifton website. Click on those links and you will find all kinds of info on everything about bowling. There is one link that gives you like 46 tips covering every aspect of bowling.
    Last edited by Hammer; 03-24-2013 at 08:08 AM.

Ringer

That's a good article. I personally would drop to 14lbs but I don't for the same reason a lot of people don't: I have several other 15lb balls and I don't want to use balls of different weights. I can't afford to buy several 14lb balls.

Actually, you know what? If I can get the funds together to even get TWO balls I think I will make the switch. I'm not getting any younger and I need to keep that ball speed up.
    Ball speed: 17 - 18.5 mph Rev rate: 400ish
    PAP 6 1/8" over 1/4" up
    13° axis tilt / 30°-60° axis rotation
    Thumbless bowler
    High game: 300 High series: 804 High average: 217

I'm 6'3" 190 lbs and I bowl a 14lb ball because my wrist is super scrawny and I use computers most of the day. I don't regret my choice.

Chats: 1

Weakness due to age caused me to buy a 14lb ball last time and while I still use a 15lb ball the difference in one pound is amazing. I tend to put too much wrist into the shot with my 14 so it will take awhile. Anyone a little weak in the wrist or arm should try a lighter weight, might make a huge difference.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I've been using a 14 pound Diva. It's actually for a friend but I needed it for a video shoot so I got it in her weight and PAP so only the thumb will need to be plugged and drilled.
    Carry is the same, speed is the same the strain is reduced greatly. So now I will be saving for a 14 pound arsenal and donating the 15s and 16s.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com