Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is storm the only company that gives out detailed resurfacing info?

Chats: 243

Default Is storm the only company that gives out detailed resurfacing info?

Admittedly ive only been trying to find brunswick/dv8 since those are the balls ive been trying to return to oob surface but ive only found the pads used and not the detailed steps like storm has. Is it more just figuring out what works?
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Ball Speed: 18Mph
    Rev Rate: 450
    Current average: 199
    High game: 300
    High Series: 769

Chats: 0

Frankly, not even Storms tips actually resurface to OOB specs they just get you in the ballpark. How could it be otherwise? They're not using spinners.

Better to just do it using tried and true methods and consistent time/pressure so that you can duplicate your own surface again and again. I don't even keep OOB finish on a new ball, I sand it from the outset to my own liking so I have my own baseline to return to.

I assumed so. When i resurfaced one of my balls to 2000 grit i used storms 2000 grit steps as a guide but modified it a bit. With that being said is their a major difference in sanding a ball at 500 grit for 30 sec then sanding at 2000 @ 50 sec vs 500 @ 30 sec then 2000 @ 20sec?

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by e-tank View Post
    Admittedly ive only been trying to find brunswick/dv8 since those are the balls ive been trying to return to oob surface but ive only found the pads used and not the detailed steps like storm has. Is it more just figuring out what works?
    for the most part the steps storm uses are the same for all companies. You just have to use the correct grit for each step.

A step is basically: Use Grit A and Sand firmly for XX# seconds(10-20-30 sec's) on all four sides. Then you just repeat for each step up in grit.

The main thing is doing the grits in the right order and being consistent in how you do it, So you can repeat it.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    for the most part the steps storm uses are the same for all companies. You just have to use the correct grit for each step.

A step is basically: Use Grit A and Sand firmly for XX# seconds(10-20-30 sec's) on all four sides. Then you just repeat for each step up in grit.

The main thing is doing the grits in the right order and being consistent in how you do it, So you can repeat it.
    is there an advantage to doing 6 sides vs 4? I watched an innovative video about surfacing and he used 4 sides but i was reading somewhere else that 6 sides is better. Your thoughts?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

I assumed so. When i resurfaced one of my balls to 2000 grit i used storms 2000 grit steps as a guide but modified it a bit. With that being said is their a major difference in sanding a ball at 500 grit for 30 sec then sanding at 2000 @ 50 sec vs 500 @ 30 sec then 2000 @ 20sec?
    There can be, 2000@50 sec. would be smoother than 2000@20 sec. and it would depend the pressure used, how new or old the pad is.

Sanding is like a lot things, you have to do it for a while and get the feel for it.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

is there an advantage to doing 6 sides vs 4? I watched an innovative video about surfacing and he used 4 sides but i was reading somewhere else that 6 sides is better. Your thoughts?
    4 sides are plenty most of the time.

To me Doing 6 sides should be reserved for when you do a full "Resurface" not just surface changes or routine maintenance.

A true resurfacing is when you bring a ball back to like new condition, removing all nicks, gouges, track marks etc. You start a coarse grit sand it down till the defects are gone (your cutting a lot of material, then start bringing it back up.

Now you might do 6 sides, if you have been doing just 4 sides for a long time. To kind of true the ball back up some, if you think it might have some flat spots or is out of round slightly. But if the shop has a Haus machine it would be better to throw it on the diamond wheels for that.

There can be, 2000@50 sec. would be smoother than 2000@20 sec. and it would depend the pressure used, how new or old the pad is.

Sanding is like a lot things, you have to do it for a while and get the feel for it.
    4 sides are plenty most of the time.

To me Doing 6 sides should be reserved for when you do a full "Resurface" not just surface changes or routine maintenance.

A true resurfacing is when you bring a ball back to like new condition, removing all nicks, gouges, track marks etc. You start a coarse grit sand it down till the defects are gone (your cutting a lot of material, then start bringing it back up.

Now you might do 6 sides, if you have been doing just 4 sides for a long time. To kind of true the ball back up some, if you think it might have some flat spots or is out of round slightly. But if the shop has a Haus machine it would be better to throw it on the diamond wheels for that.
    Ah okay. I figured sanding longer at 2000 would make it behave more like a true 2000 grit. Im glad to hear 4 sides is plenty as thatll save time. A couple more questions:

I was reading about how sanding in different directions on the ball track has different effects on ball reaction. Is this something i should be worrying about right now?

And so i dont have to make another thread, my house doesnt clean the backends for my league so most nights theres a good amount of carry down. Since i have the ability to change the surface on my ball i currently have my too reckless at 500 grit since correct me if im wrong would have better traction in carrydown?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

I was reading about how sanding in different directions on the ball track has different effects on ball reaction. Is this something i should be worrying about right now?
    No you don't have to worry, IMHO you have to have a pretty precise game For that type of nitpicky sanding technique to really make a difference. Also I think it made more of a difference back in the urethane days.

Here's a link which shows how to do it:
    Click for Pros Corner
    Resurfacing Tips

And so i dont have to make another thread, my house doesnt clean the backends for my league so most nights theres a good amount of carry down. Since i have the ability to change the surface on my ball i currently have my too reckless at 500 grit since correct me if im wrong would have better traction in carrydown?
    I can't really say a lot would depend on just what is happening on the lane.

A lot of the time when the balls start backing off down lane, it's because of the additional friction from the depletion of oil in the heads not the carry down. It causes the ball to standup ( hook sooner), Lose rotation and have a weaker backend reaction.

500 grit is pretty aggressive by itself (Now the Too Reckless has a OOB of 500/Rough Buff/High Gloss Polish) and will read the lane pretty early. Then if it hits carry it could appear a lot weaker.

You might can go to a little less aggressive surface, so you can play the dryer areas better.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 03-24-2013 at 05:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Telling the difference between actual carry down, a dry spot and regular wet-dry conditions takes experience or better yet, computer aided equipment. Burning up some in the dry is more common than skidding through carry down especially in league/tournament conditions. Reactive resin balls absorb the oil and don't push it down lane so unless it's a plastic ball league it's very unlikely carry down.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast