Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ball Manufactures Should Have A Trade In Program

Blog Entries
    Chats: 6

Default Ball Manufactures Should Have A Trade In Program

Just something I was thinking of. Let's say a bowler buys a bunch of equipment. He has a bag, and 2 or 3 balls from a company, let's just call them Company A for arguments sake. Then the bowler throws a ball from a different manufacturer, let's call them Company B, and they really likes that ball. They want to switch, get new B balls, and bag, but doesn't have the cash. Wouldn't it be nice if that bowler could send his 3 Company A balls, and bags into Company B, and for a small fee, Company B sends that bowler all new stuff, drilled similar if the bowler wants. The company can take those used balls and bags and donate them to high school programs and stuff, or recycle them, and the bowler would be happy, and now representing the new brand. It would be nice.
    Trying not to suck, one day at a time.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Or a loyalty program where company A gives you a credit towards new equipment when traded in on the same. Say $30 towards a new bag in exchange for your old bag (only if their brand), $50 towards a performance level ball, $20 towards an entry level ball, $30 towards a mid-performance ball.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Blog Entries
    Chats: 30

This is a noble idea. I often wonder where do all the old bowling balls end up?

The only answers I see are garages, basements and closets.
    Pretty much, wherever they can go to get lost in the past.

Of course, some balls can be used for single pin spares if it has lost its "bite" and the owner doesn't want to let it go to waste. But that doesn't necessarily become the cause for every "lost ball" collecting dust somewhere. I would take one step further as I am "green-minded" and wonder if old balls can be recycled.

Can the cover be melted off, the core be re-used or recycled and maybe, just maybe, we can all make this planet better by donating our old bowling balls to a a great cause to support youth bowling. If the balls are too heavy for the youth, that's not really a solution. Perhaps they still hold value and can cut down costs for new materials. I'd love to test out a bowling ball with the green triangle arrows on it knowing it was completely constructed from recycled bowling balls.
    RIGHTY STROKER 12-14 MPH (: .)EBONITE Innovate (: .)ROTO GRIP Disturbed
    USBC: Avg: 176.3 HiG: 257 HiS: 631 || Lifetime HiG: 279 Lifetime HiS: 689
    My BowlingBoards Blog features Lifetime High Scores Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com

Chats: 16

I donate all my old bowling balls to my pro shop, who in turn, donates them to a local high school bowling program, for teens who cannot afford to buy their own bowling balls.
    - Ed

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
    Equipment: Hammer 1st Blood (RICO Layout @1500 Polished), Hammer Taboo (RICO Layout @2000 Polished), Hammer Taboo Blue/Silver (RICO Layout @4000), Storm Natural Pearl, Hammer Razyr, Ebonite Maxim

League Average (THS): 207
    High Game Score: 279 (9 in a row)
    High 3 Game Series: 788

PAP: 5 3/4 right 1/4 up
    Ball Speed: Mid 15-16 (Tweener)

Ringer
    Chats: 23

One of my old balls ended up in the hands of my teammate. He is very new to bowling and was throwing a straight ball. I gave him my old Track Crash and it fit him pretty well. A week later he got the thumb plugged and re-drilled and it is fitting him much better. My plan is to donate mine when I am done with them, being able to trade them in would be nice but I would rather someone get use out of them that I may know.

And I know my wife appreciates them not being in the house!
    Equipment:
    Motiv: Forza, Forza Redine, Venom Shock, Tag
    Storm: Sky Rocket
    Track 100P Spare Ball

To be drilled: Motiv Jackal

Chats: 0

You're asking a lot of company "B". What do they get out of this deal? It sounds like they're giving you 3 new balls and a bag at what would probably amount to their cost, plus the labor of drilling 3 balls, and getting 3 used balls from some other manufacturer in trade. Then they have to handle, ship or do something with the 3 used balls from some other manufacturer - which also costs them.

It sounds nice from your end, but it sounds like company "B" is going to go broke if that's how they sell stuff in a competitive market.

I have "recycled" my old equipment to other bowlers. Youth bowlers and my wife are the two main beneficiaries.

But a program that offers loyalty discounts would be nice. (They might already do this, I imagine it might be a side benefit to registering equipment) But as above, these companies have to make money and giving us huge benefits for other companies stuff just doesn't make sense.
    In the Bag: Storm Marvel Pearl, Storm IQ, Columbia 300 White Dot
    In the Locker: Storm Tropical Breeze, RG Defiant, RG Bandit

Blog Entries
    Chats: 6

I wouldn't expect company B to do it for free. There would be a cost to the bowler, depending on how much they would send in. Labor isn't a huge deal, how long does it take to drill a ball, 5 minutes? What company B would get is a loyal customer. I know if a company would do that for me, I would be a customer for life. Anyway, it's just an I wish scenario, I know it's not realistic.

Chats: 723

Quote Originally Posted by RoccoRock View Post
    I wouldn't expect company B to do it for free. There would be a cost to the bowler, depending on how much they would send in. Labor isn't a huge deal, how long does it take to drill a ball, 5 minutes? What company B would get is a loyal customer. I know if a company would do that for me, I would be a customer for life. Anyway, it's just an I wish scenario, I know it's not realistic.
    interesting idea, however it seems to easy to abuse, say two company do this, every time you get a new ball you trade in company a's ball to company b and vise versa, neither company has a truely loyal customer, the person get's free drilling and a discounted ball, and proshop's loose out on business.

i like the idea of a loyalty program, even if i wouldn't take part given the fact i want to try all company's.
    High Game: 246 (300 soon)
    High Series: 627

In The Bag: DV8 MARAUDER, Brunswick Nexxxus, Brunswick T Zone
    USBC Level I Certified Coach
    Youth Bowling Canada Member

I am a proud member of http://BowlingIntel.com bowling Forums

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

Cranker
    Chats: 7

I usually give my old balls the pro shop to sell and then i'll buy a new ball with the money I get.

Zothen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast