Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowling Is Too Dangerous

Default Bowling Is Too Dangerous

Had my lessons this morning. Around my second game, I smashed my ball into my ankle super hard. Broke the skin, started bleeding, immediate swelling. Once the pain went down, I finished practicing.

Had my league tonight. Was managing the first two games. Bowled moderately well. Third game, ankle started hurting and started bleeding again. It's all swollen, looks like a bruise has started to form. End of the game, put my balls and shoes away, then I noticed that I had somehow slashed the back of my hand and it was all bloody.

Combine my bowling injuries with crap at work and this week sucks something awful.

Chats: 723

I know your supposed to keep the ball close to the ankle, but that's a bit excessive...

for it to break the skin that must have been a very bad hit, i would go get checked by a doctor.

as for the hand, how does this happen to you? are you having to much of the good stuff while bowling? lol
    High Game: 246 (300 soon)
    High Series: 627

In The Bag: DV8 MARAUDER, Brunswick Nexxxus, Brunswick T Zone
    USBC Level I Certified Coach
    Youth Bowling Canada Member

I am a proud member of http://BowlingIntel.com bowling Forums

TONIGHT WE BOWL! DV8 DAMN GOOD BOWLING

Chats: 19

Youre doing it wrong, apparently. Hahahahaha

Good luck. Hopefully it heals quick, but if its on the bone, thats going to sting a while. I took a bad bounce in softball years ago and it hit me flush on the ankle bone. Do yourself a favor: go get crutches. Keep some weight off it for a while and it will heal a little faster. You might consider ice and a wrap. I highly recommend it.

Mine was just a bruise, and I consulted with a doctor and had it checked. The crutches, wrap and ice were all his doing.
    Not helping the situation since 1983.

Bowling Average: 180
    Bowling Handicap: Beer
    Bowling Style: Completely Wheels Off
    Righty / Lefty: Righty
    Bowling Balls: Lane #1 Droid (Strike Ball), Storm Crossroad (Strike Ball. I hate the smell...), Hammer No Mercy (Retired Strike Ball. We had a good run. RIP, old friend!), Ebonite Magnum (Spare Ball), Ebonite Maxim (Spare Ball)
    Best Game: 267
    Best Series: 695 (just 5 more pins... I don't wanna talk about it!)

Blog Entries
    Chats: 6

Don't feel so bad, I've seen the same thing happen to a pro. Last year at the summer shootout, Bill O'Neill was having a terrible day, and it got worse. He hit his ankle with the ball, right there on ESPN for everyone to see. I'm sure it's on YouTube if you want to look it up.

Chats: 0

I have done the same thing twice now. Right on the the ankle bone, Had a nice little scuff mark that kind of looks like carpet burn. Hurt for about 20 minutes, Went and got a beer and I was alright. Only thing I can think of is, I was focusing to much on my hand position and trying to stay behind that ball that I stepped to far to the left.

Chats: 36

And they say bowling isn't a contact sport...seriously, sorry dude. Neosporin and ice will do the trick for you.

Jay
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    IN THE BAG > RG -Hyper Cell Fused, Menace; Storm -Code Black, Reign of Power, Lock; [COLOR=#006400;,Track - Hx-10, [B]"
    High Game/High Series - 299(2)/300(13)/856 (Elmira, NY in 1980); Member of Corning, NY Junior Bowling HOF.
    Tweener; PAP= 4.75 over x .75 up/Tilt 10 degrees/Axis of rotation 40 degrees/Revs = 368 and speed is 16.86 MPH average.

My problem with the ankle (This wasn't the first time and it won't be the last time) is that I used to swing my ball really far away from me which caused problems. Now I tend to get too close to my ankle at least once a week. But this week was the worst.

I put hydrogen peroxide on my cuts and put bandaids on. Ankle is a little sore, little bruised. Still don't know how I sliced the back of my hand. Oh well, it's not like I have to wear dress attire including dress shoes that'll chafe my ankle tonight...oh wait, I have work.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Getting the ball close to your ankle is actually a major accomplishment. Many bowlers NEVER get the ball close their ankle and their game suffers because of it. I wish mine were closer to my ankle. Look at videos of the pros. Most miss their ankle by just a hair and most of them have hit their ankle at one time or another. I've seen a few hit their ankles on TV.

Don't feel bad; you're on the right track. I hope you feel better soon.
    Ball speed: 17 - 18.5 mph Rev rate: 400ish
    PAP 6 1/8" over 1/4" up
    13° axis tilt / 30°-60° axis rotation
    Thumbless bowler
    High game: 300 High series: 804 High average: 217

Chats: 891

greenday i did the same thing last year at my jr provincials but mine moved my ankle in ward hurt for the first few minutes but did not stop me from bowling the next day it was worse thats when i could feel the pain.

In bag- , storm iq tour pearl , columbia 300 white dot, Brunswick meanstreak brawler, 900 global network, roto-grip rumble, DV8 nightmare

youth bowling Canada member

high game: 300
    high series: 699

this season high Game: 249
    this season high Series: 618

Chats: 4

I feel your pain Greenday

I used to have a very bad habit of hitting my ankle with the ball
    back when I was younger and was able to get good knee bend and
    get down low and keep the ball in close to my left ankle.

I bought and used a bowling ankle guard after a while
    of hitting my ankle and it staying sore all the time and then
    after that every so often you could hear a whack when I would
    hit the guard.

Now days I don't have to worry so much about hitting my left ankle as
    I can not get down that low with the ball anymore with these bad knees
    of mine.

Here is a few links for some ankle guards that might work for you
    if you decide to go that route to protect your ankle.

Robby's ankle guard

Dick's Sporting Goods

SportsAuthority
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast