Thread: How much oil is on a THS?

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

Default How much oil is on a THS?

Is a THS just the pattern, or does it also have an amount of oil associated with it? I'm just curious to know if it is a low, med, high, etc. oil pattern.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

From Tamerbowling:

Alright, what does a house shot look like?
    A house shot, know as a THS, is commonly referred to as a christmas tree pattern. Imagine a big christmas tree laid down and outlined on the lanes. Where the green tree is, there’s oil. Where it is not, there’s no oil. The whole idea of this pattern is to help funnel the ball into the 1-3 or 1-2 pocket if you are righty or lefty, respectively. How does that work? Well, the further outside you throw it, the more it hooks, because the ball encounters friction earlier. The further inside you throw it, the more oil it encounters and thus, the ball must slide longer. So if you throw it outside, the earlier friction, is drawn in such a way that almost ensures the ball will hook back close to the 1-3. If you miss to the inside, you will also be safe because the oil is longer, helping to ensure that the ball will hook later and stay close to the 1-3. Basically, the ratio of oil from inside to outside is something like 7:1. Meaning a ton of oil inside compared to the outside. Sometimes you’ll find 5:1. Sometimes you’ll find 10:1.
    By virtue of this pattern, accuracy on a house shot is at less of a premium. This helps the average bowler tremendously. In general, you will be playing in the track, which will be plus or minus a few boards from around the 2nd arrow. This is where the play will predominantly be. The reality is this is where most are comfortable playing. It’s far enough from the channel that bowlers don’t worry about “dumping one” and not so far inside that you think you have to “hook the lane” to get it to hit the pocket.
    picture

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

i used to run a kegal phoenix, for a ths we would use 19 units of oil and 39ft

Cranker
    Chats: 7

@Bowl1820-Is that a 38' pattern? I bowl on a similar pattern,but,the guy who oils the lane does'nt know the length becuse he gets it preprogrammed.

Thanks,

Zothen

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zothen View Post
    @Bowl1820-Is that a 38' pattern? I bowl on a similar pattern,but,the guy who oils the lane does'nt know the length becuse he gets it preprogrammed.

Thanks,

Zothen

If your referring to my post That is general info from tamerbowling and it could apply to several THS patterns which could have different lengths.

Here's another example I had about the THS:
    The Typical House shot is around 19:1 ratio which means the board that has the most oil on it has 19 times more units then the board with the least number of units. In most cases the least amount of units is 5 and the most is 95 and this step up starts on board 7 or 8 and ends on board 10.

Quote Originally Posted by H3RBSKI View Post
    i used to run a kegal phoenix, for a ths we would use 19 units of oil and 39ft

For those that don't know what a "Unit" is (That term is not used as much anymore) it's defined in the "Computerized Lane Inspection Program Manual" (the "Clip" manual)

"A "unit" of oil is defined by the American Bowling Congress (ABC) and Women's International Bowling Congress (WIBC) as 0.0167 cubic centimeters of oil evenly spread over a 1 sq. ft. surface, which equates to a film of oil about 7 millionths of an inch thick."

Now in In USBowler Magazine Vol.2, No.3 Spring 2007 Page 12 Coach's Corner They have a article "Everything you wanted to know about lane conditions" In it they say,

Example: a piece of typing paper is about 400 units thick.
    (.000007*400=.0028" A 16# bond paper is .0032" thick so that's pretty close.)

"A layer of oil 100-plus units would be considered "Heavy oil" and anything less then 50 units probably would be "Light oil".

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Here's a great quote:

"The THS makes it fun to spin a house ball with two fingers, roll the ball 20 miles an hour creating devastating pin action, but if your a woman, kid or senior with less ball speed THS lanes can be almost impossible to overcome (too much oil, too much skid, too little oil too much hook)."

I don't how many young guys I've seen do that! They pick up this 10 pound house ball, shove their finger in the holes. Run up the foul and fire that ball down the lane fall flat on their backside.

Watch it go coast to coast and if they get a strike turn around and look at their girlfriend with this "Hey baby I'm ready for the PBA" look on their face.