Thread: Ball damage at my local center

Chats: 0

Default Ball damage at my local center

Hi Guys,

I bowl at a local AMF bowling center. I started bowling in January, and I feel like I've improved a lot, and I now own 3 balls (2 of which I purchased, 1 I got for free on here, thanks BBoards!!!). Anyway, the first two balls I got were damaged at my local center. One of them has some deep scratches on it, but the most common damage on it is like a chiseled 1 inch long gash, about a centimeter wide, and its pretty deep (maybe .5 cm). My first ball has 2 of them, my 2nd ball that I've had for like a month already has one, and my partners balls have a few gashes as well. Is this from the ball return? They're using some pretty old equipment. Is it common to get your ball damaged from the bowling center or is it just the crappy ball returns?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to build a case against them to either a) step up the maintenance on the equipment so peoples gear stops getting damaged, or b) replace the damn ball returns (not that I think they'll actually do it, as I'm sure thats a HUGE expense that requires years of budgeting, and right now its cheaper for them to offer free repairs instead)

Looking forward to your replies!

FYI: These are the ball returns they use, I think they were built in the 50's or 60's??? LOL
    http://jbmindustries.com/sitebuilder...01-915x687.jpg
    http://www.muknights.com/images/Faci...bileebowl5.jpg
    Last edited by Bendial; 04-05-2013 at 04:55 PM.

Chats: 16

It could be a screw or something that fell in the ball return. The hard thing is, if it's a screw, then it may be hard to find, because it may have bounced around when the ball went over it.

The next time it happens, IMMEDIATELY go up to the counter. This way, they will know what lane it occurred on, therefore, can check it. Also, there is a chance that the center will repair the ball at no charge to you. Doing it later may not be effective, because they have no way of knowing if it came from their center or if it occurred elsewhere.
    - Ed

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
    Equipment: Hammer 1st Blood (RICO Layout @1500 Polished), Hammer Taboo (RICO Layout @2000 Polished), Hammer Taboo Blue/Silver (RICO Layout @4000), Storm Natural Pearl, Hammer Razyr, Ebonite Maxim

League Average (THS): 207
    High Game Score: 279 (9 in a row)
    High 3 Game Series: 788

PAP: 5 3/4 right 1/4 up
    Ball Speed: Mid 15-16 (Tweener)

Chats: 36

If the machinery at the center is damaging your equipment, you need to bring it to their attention (be it the ball return, or whatever). They should be willing to repair or replace your damaged articles. I had some ball damage early in the season to a Defiant and my bowling alley repaired it at no cost to me.

I am certain that replacing or repairing a ball would cost them a lot less than replacing a machine that will run many Ks of moolah...

Jay
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    IN THE BAG > RG -Hyper Cell Fused, Menace; Storm -Code Black, Reign of Power, Lock; [COLOR=#006400;,Track - Hx-10, [B]"
    High Game/High Series - 299(2)/300(13)/856 (Elmira, NY in 1980); Member of Corning, NY Junior Bowling HOF.
    Tweener; PAP= 4.75 over x .75 up/Tilt 10 degrees/Axis of rotation 40 degrees/Revs = 368 and speed is 16.86 MPH average.

Ringer

Often bowling centers have signs that say they aren't responsible for damage to balls. I don't believe this is true. I don't think you can simply post a sign that exempts you from taking care of your equipment so it doesn't damage people's bowling balls. A certain amount of wear is to be expected, but you shouldn't have to tolerate obvious damage to your bowling balls from their faulty machinery. That being said, you have to bring it up right away or you have no proof that it happened there. I would report it to the management no matter what, because hopefully they will just do the right thing and repair or replace your damaged balls.
    Ball speed: 17 - 18.5 mph Rev rate: 400ish
    PAP 6 1/8" over 1/4" up
    13° axis tilt / 30°-60° axis rotation
    Thumbless bowler
    High game: 300 High series: 804 High average: 217

Great answers all, thank you. Lanes 19 and 20 I know to avoid like the plague because I know some the damage happened there... the other gashes I'm not sure what lanes we were on as I didn't notice them until later. They have a sign up that says "We are not responsible for damage to PLASTIC balls", but they do repair reactive.
    Last edited by Bendial; 04-05-2013 at 05:08 PM.