I was really happy to see that MOTIV was coming out with their first urethane release, the TANK. I was so intrigued, I got two. The first one with a very weak layout, (90*x5”x70*) and the second stronger: (60*x4 ½”x40*) with a P2 hole. When I took to the lanes I found that the weaker layout covered about 5 less boards than the stronger one I drilled, which was just what I was looking for. I’ve been bowling since the late 1980’s so I must say that I had flashbacks of the “good old days” when urethane was king. That nice, early hooking even roll was has a great retro feel. It works great when playing in the track area going up the boards. But the TANK hits a lot harder than the urethanes I used to use back in the day.

After bowling several games, one thing that I noticed are my moves were much more subtle with the TANK, compared to reactive resin equipment. I am able to keep the pocket in front of me longer than I’m used to. I feel that my bad shots that drift high tend to stay out of trouble, leaving maybe a 4 pin, instead of a Greek Church. This is good news on a short sport pattern, or on a broken down house shot.

Here is a ball reaction video that I did for the TANK. In the video I compare the ball motion to the Ascent Solid, Ascent Peal, Venom Strike & Venom Toxin on a broken down house shot.

I feel that any competitive bowler needs a urethane in their bag, and the TANK is not just any other urethane ball. The proven low RG Gear core is a perfect match to the cover, to help the ball deliver a low driving trajectory through the pins, with less deflection than you’d typically see from a ball that’s lower on the hook scale.

--Kevin Gallagher—
PBA Member
MOTIV Staff