Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Outage at the Bowling Center while bowling

Blog Entries
    Chats: 30

Default Power Outage at the Bowling Center while bowling

Has anyone else experienced what I experienced tonight? A power outage at our bowling center while we were bowling. It was such a shame... I really felt bad. Luckily, it happened during our non-sanctioned Wednesday Night Mixed League. In other words, we make our own rules (there are only 6 4-person teams in this league) and each team has a captain. So generally, the team talks it over, the captain takes our choice to the secretary or president. Its rare we have to do anything other than choose team names when doing that, but tonight we had a tough decision to make... because it only would have affected one team.

You see, the power went out in the third game of the night. Tonight was our Championship night. Now, while I was not in the Championship Game (to decide who wins the league - first half winner vs second half winner) we still had to figure how we could end this season. Long story short... one team conceded to the other even before any of the other teams began discussing what the options could be, but that's a whole other discussion because one of the bowlers on the opposing team had pre-bowled - a BIG NO NO in USBC Leagues.

So, anyway... has anyone ever had the power go out while you were bowling?
    During a game? It was so bizarre! (Note: It was due to high winds and lightning.)
    RIGHTY STROKER 12-14 MPH (: .)EBONITE Innovate (: .)ROTO GRIP Disturbed
    USBC: Avg: 176.3 HiG: 257 HiS: 631 || Lifetime HiG: 279 Lifetime HiS: 689
    My BowlingBoards Blog features Lifetime High Scores Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com

Blog Entries
    Chats: 67

no but i can see how that would be upsetting. how did the other teams bowler get pre bowled? when will you be starting
    to use your new ball ?
    JUDY / JUDY / JUDY...5/24/13 BOWLING RECORD AMF EULESS LANES HG 216 / HS 535
    PIN PALS, "PLEASE, " SPARE ME SOME STRIKES !!!
    I AM A HAPPY...BLESSED...PROUD...MEMBER...BOWLINGBOARDS.C OM

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Closest experience I've had is having to change lanes when either the pinsetter or the ball return stopped working. The most dramatic was when either a belt started slipping in the ball return or the motor burned out and there was smoke coming out of the ball return.
    John

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Did you ever see the episode of the Andy Griffith Show where Howard Sprage had the front nine and the power went out? He had to finish the game the next day. I remember he took three steps and counted his steps. "1 2 3!"
    Ball speed: 17 - 18.5 mph Rev rate: 400ish
    PAP 6 1/8" over 1/4" up
    13° axis tilt / 30°-60° axis rotation
    Thumbless bowler
    High game: 300 High series: 804 High average: 217

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
    Did you ever see the episode of the Andy Griffith Show where Howard Sprage had the front nine and the power went out? He had to finish the game the next day. I remember he took three steps and counted his steps. "1 2 3!"
    Three step approaches were fairly common into the 70s. There are still a few of us left, as well as some people who think they're doing a four step when its really just one step plus a three step approach.
    John

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Judy clemons View Post
    no but i can see how that would be upsetting. how did the other teams bowler get pre bowled? when will you be starting
    to use your new ball ?
    I'm not sure how he did it, when he did it or why he did. Haven't talked to him.

As for my new Roto Grip Disturbed, I'll use it in a practice session the day it's drilled. My local pro shop, who has drilled all my balls over the last decade,will drill it once it arrives. I'll likely start the thread once I receive the ball so I can give more accurate updates to its progress and scores. I hope to have it drilled and at least one 3 game series under my belt before May 12th. We leave for States the following weekend.
    My BowlingBoards Blog features Lifetime High Scores Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Closest experience I've had is having to change lanes when either the pinsetter or the ball return stopped working. The most dramatic was when either a belt started slipping in the ball return or the motor burned out and there was smoke coming out of the ball return.
    I've had pinsetter issues before. By far the most common of any, aside from calling for deadwood or a ball in the back. Haha! We have fairly new ball returns, so I have yet to experience any belt or motor issues. Can't imagine what that smelled like. Eeeewww.. lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
    I'll have to find it on YouTube or somewhere.

Ringer
    Chats: 0
    Ball speed: 17 - 18.5 mph Rev rate: 400ish
    PAP 6 1/8" over 1/4" up
    13° axis tilt / 30°-60° axis rotation
    Thumbless bowler
    High game: 300 High series: 804 High average: 217

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Yes I have. High winds during a massive thundrstorm/tornadoes. Power came back on three days later and the entire night was replayed.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast