Thread: Storm Crossroads (aka The Clapton Ball)

Chats: 19

Default Storm Crossroads (aka The Clapton Ball)

Watch the video above, if you want to know why I call it my, "Clapton Ball." You can thank me later. And, by the way, I saw Clapton just a few months ago and I can't tell you how good he was! I was actually DISAPPOINTED when he would play one of his hits because his blues were so good! Amazing guitarist, so glad I got to see him live.

Anyway... Let's be honest here: I have NO IDEA how to post a proper ball review. I throw a very coast to coast style. As a right handed bowler, my left foot ends up just a few boards right of the left gutter. I concentrate on my angles more than anything else, because I've noticed that even if I sometimes miss my mark, if the angle of entry is correct I can sometimes get lucky with a brooklyn.

When I bought this ball, it was purchased along with a Lane 1 Droid because the ball return at my local alley had finished off my Hammer No Mercy, rendering it useless despite our best attempts to resurface it. The No Mercy was at least 5 or 6 years old by then, it had a good run, but it was time.

I struggled mightily with both the droid and the Clapton Ball in the beginning. Turns out a new ball has quite a bit more action than an old one that has gone through countless cleanings, rejuvenation, and resurfacing's (and with the final resurfacing, it turned into a completely black ball, with no markings on it what so ever. It was suggested it might be tough to prove it was in compliance if I ever did bowl a 300 game, as there were no markings on it, and no way to verify a serial number or anything like that). My average dropped from a season high 186, down to a 179. But once I figured it out, I figured it out.

In the last 7 weeks, I'm averaging a respectable 207, and on tuesday had a solid 644 series. The ball hits hard, and is very forgiving. When I had it drilled, I had a coach/pro shop owner watch me bowl a bit, and the layout below, is the layout he suggested. It required a weight hole be added, but he stated the layout was perfect for my style, and would provide more forgiveness and versatility than other layouts. I think he got it right, for sure!

Anyway... This probably doesn't help anyone with anything. I'm sure there will be people who hate my layout, and there will be people who hate the ball. But for me? I couldn't be happier with it.

*** EDIT: I HATE the smell. This ball stinks my bag up so bad... I don't know what Storm was thinking. It's annoying as anything, and distracting. Over time the smell has gone down a little, but still... What an awful idea. Horrible smell. Bad job, Storm. Without that scent, I wouldn't have anything negative to say about this ball. ***
    Last edited by ArtVandelay; 05-02-2013 at 06:38 PM. Reason: UGH! That awful smell!
    Not helping the situation since 1983.

Bowling Average: 180
    Bowling Handicap: Beer
    Bowling Style: Completely Wheels Off
    Righty / Lefty: Righty
    Bowling Balls: Lane #1 Droid (Strike Ball), Storm Crossroad (Strike Ball. I hate the smell...), Hammer No Mercy (Retired Strike Ball. We had a good run. RIP, old friend!), Ebonite Magnum (Spare Ball), Ebonite Maxim (Spare Ball)
    Best Game: 267
    Best Series: 695 (just 5 more pins... I don't wanna talk about it!)

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Here is what was wrong with your review.....NOTHING!!!! Good job, like the honesty.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 243

Love my crossroad. When everything seems wrong my crossroad is always right
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Ball Speed: 18Mph
    Rev Rate: 450
    Current average: 199
    High game: 300
    High Series: 769

Awesome review!!!...Back in another life I played a lot of guitar (off and on for about 30 years)....E.C. was one of my staples when playing gigs.

Oh, and the Crossroads....I see what you did there :-).....and a tip of my hat to Ralph Machio and Steve Vai (who rocked in that movie!)