Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any one else disappointing with the PBA telecasts the last couple years ?

Default Any one else disappointed with the PBA telecasts the last couple years ?

I've been watching for 8 years or so and the past few years they seem to have made things worse.
    Some shows are pre-recorded, i remember being able to go online and watch live scores friday night and know who was going to be on sunday.
    Now i go online and see who already won before the show airs(sometimes).

Half the season was 'Team Bowling'. I found it boring without the head to head competition.
    Hopefully these summer events will make up for it.
    Last edited by JPbowl; 05-13-2013 at 06:06 PM.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I'm OK with the team event in cinjunction with the singles. However, I have been disappointed with the season being recorded in less than a month. The networks would serve themselves with increased viewers IF they would show some of the overseas events. Really sad when the top pros have to go overseas just to make a living.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Yes! Abosulutely! The announcers are horrible and give minimal information about the bowlers, the equipment they are using, and basic stats. The telecasts incorporate little if no Hi-Tech additions to make things more fun and interesting.

The prize money is an absolute joke. I don't know how the pros survive on that measly prize money. They're still giving only $10,000 for on on air 300 game. Sheesh, they were giving away that same amount in 1974. Plus, the player got a free car too way back then!

The PBA needs to get into the 21st century.

And they sure as heck aren't doing anything to attract female bowlers! I could hardly stand to watch the Leauge telecasts when Kelly was on the bench the whole the time. They were kind enough let her bowl two or three dead rubber frames at the season ending Elias Cup. Gee, thanks. And Billy Jean is the owner of that team. I'm sorry but that crap took women's place in professional bowling down a few notches.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Put women's bowling down? Not really. I liked how all the men struggled that Championship match and Kelly got up, stone cold, and absoltely buried three in a row. Most who know bowling knew Kelly was a better bowler than at leat half the men that were bowling.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 221

The main reason for pre-recording events is cost. The PBA has to buy the air time and by doing the WSOB the way they do they save over 100K in production costs.
    Personally I liked the team format as you got to see some people you don;t normally see. I think I read somewher that next year it will not require an injury for the 6th person to bowl
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

I forgot to mention how happy i was that hambone stone is gone.
    Along with him all reference for all the stupid sayings he would blurt out.

Randy is ok, i was surprised how childish he was when HE made a show. (yelling at a fan)

I would also like to hear more about the equipment they are using.

Chats: 256

I tried to watch the Team events and was left with just turning it off. There was no excitement in the telecast or in the bowlers that were involved. Only thing I saw out of it was some celebrity mentions. With bowlers on tour only bowling for themselves for so long, it is hard to see a Team aspect out there with the Pro's or even showed they even cared what happened. Just my $.03.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

I liked the team format. I don't think I would want to bowl Baker format all the time myself, but its fine to watch.

I have mixed feelings about the elimination process to pick the low team on the stepladder. I generally don't like competitions based on one ball pin counts since it almost always winds up whoever doesn't strike is out. Yet with so many bowlers to start out you might survive leaving one or two pins in the early rounds so the eliminator (I already forgot the name that the PBA used) had more drama than many of the actual games.

I'm glad to hear that the sixth person on the rosters will be able to bowl without one of the starters having to be injured.
    John

Cranker
    Chats: 7

Sadly their will be no more televised bowling unless you have the CBS sport channel! From what i've read,ESPN will no longer have bowling and i'm bummed.

Zothen

Blog Entries
    Chats: 6

I'm more disappointed that the PBA is leaving ESPN, and going to a network that no one gets. I would rather have it on ESPN, no matter what I think of the coverage, and formats, and announcers than not be able to see it at all. Moving to a network that no one gets, and no one watches, and isn't even in HD is not a smart move, no matter what you think of the ESPN coverage. I probably not be subscribing to the sports package. $10 a month for a group of channels that I would practically never watch, not exactly a wise decisions when money is tight. I'll just look up the results on the PBA website, because like the ESPN tournaments, these are all pre recorded as well.
    Trying not to suck, one day at a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast