Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any one else disappointing with the PBA telecasts the last couple years ?

I'm lucky enough to have the CBS sports channel in HD (part of the package I have with Comcast)

I've watched the college nationals(mens and womens team and individual) on there so far and they seem ok other than their habit of skipping frames 4-6 to save time on the telecast.

I'm hoping the PBA telecasts don't do that.

Xtra frame looks more and more tempting but can only watch that on phone or PC.
    PAP - 6 1/4 1/8 up
    speed 16-16.5 monitor
    ~400-450 revs

I am a Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Blog Entries
    Chats: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Perrin View Post
    I've watched the college nationals(mens and womens team and individual) on there so far and they seem ok other than their habit of skipping frames 4-6 to save time on the telecast.

I'm hoping the PBA telecasts don't do that.
    They shouldn't. ESPN did the same thing when they broadcast college bowling. They try to fit a lot of bowling into a very short time slot, so they cut some out. I've seen them cut out 4 frames where team A was leading before the cut, and come out of the cut with team B leading off of 4 in a row while team A was missing spares.

Xtra frame is cool, my pro shop guy let me use it during the Masters. It was fun to watch the stuff you don't see on TV. Sadly my computer now stinks, and it wouldn't be able to stream it. My phone would work, but I don't know how well the app works, it's still new.
    Trying not to suck, one day at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Perrin View Post
    Xtra frame looks more and more tempting but can only watch that on phone or PC.
    If you have an iPhone or iPad and an AppleTV box, you can watch Xtra Frame on your TV. It works really well.
    In the bag: Roto Grip Defiant Soul, Brunswick BVP Nemesis, Motiv 2Cruel

Quote Originally Posted by RoccoRock View Post
    Xtra frame is cool, my pro shop guy let me use it during the Masters. It was fun to watch the stuff you don't see on TV. Sadly my computer now stinks, and it wouldn't be able to stream it. My phone would work, but I don't know how well the app works, it's still new.
    The app works really well, actually. The only problem I've had with it so far is that one of the PBA50 events didn't show up in the archives for some reason. Other than that it's been great.

Maybe I'm just easy to please, but I've really enjoyed the recent telecasts. I thought the PBA League was a novel idea and it was cool to see the pros bowling Baker style. And you got to see some bowlers you might not have seen before. I would prefer that the telecasts not be pre-recorded, but it's not a huge deal to me.

Honestly, I would highly recommend that any bowling fan subscribe to Xtra Frame(I promise I don't work for the PBA.....I wish I did). I was extrememly hesitant about the service at first; a YouTube comment of mine was actually quoted in Steve's Bowling Blog where I voiced my displeasure for the idea of paying a monthly fee for access to more tournament bowling. But I have completely changed my mind on the subject. Subscribing to Xtra Frame was one of the best decisions I've made. Having complete access to all the qualifying rounds and match play is unbelievably cool, IMO. I'm actually just as interested in seeing the match play rounds as I am in seeing the telecasts. A lot of the drama is in the match play. For me, it's totally worth the $8 a month. I don't always watch the qualifying, but I try to make it a point to watch all the match play.

After subscribing, I was determined to find a way to get the Xtra Frame coverage on my TV, and I eventually realized that an AppleTV box would do the trick(I promise I don't work for Apple, either). So I used some birthday money to get one; it is $100, but completely worth it if you already use Apple products. So yeah, the main reason I got the AppleTV was to watch Xtra Frame, but it turns out I use it almost every day for all its other features(I finally have a way to watch all these digital copies of blu-rays on my TV).

Anyway, Xtra Frame.....check it out.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Are all the qualifying matches archived also? I don't see me having the time to watch live but wouldn't mind watching them later.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Are all the qualifying matches archived also? I don't see me having the time to watch live but wouldn't mind watching them later.
    Yes, everything gets archived, including the qualifying rounds. My only complaint is that it sometimes takes a day or so for stuff to show up in the archives, but it's usually not more than a day.

Chats: 1

I just started watching late last year an I have no real history to compare it with. I was first put of by the absense of explanantion. For example, they may mention bowlng the Cheetah pattern and even give the length of the oil pattern. I don't want to be lead by the hand, but an explanation of the basics; That the ball slides, turns, then rolls on oil pattern; That different bowling take different strategy using the oil pattern; theat different balls have different reactions in the "What's In The Bag" segment, without talking down to the audience strategy would be helpful. It does not have to be complicated, just a simple graphic would work. If the non-bowling spectator knew the lane was 60 feet long and 2/3 oil means the ball has only 1/3 of lane length to hook to the pocket is useful information. They have been doing that sort of thing in the Tour de France coverage for years. PBA should be ablet to do it too.

It was refreshing to see that on the Lukoil US Open this weekend. They actually showed a graphic of the oil pattern on the lane with draw ins showing the line the bowlers were using. They may be getting a hint.
    I live by three simples rules:

1. Don't ever ask about my business
    2. Never discuss business at the table
    3. Don't ever side with anyone against the family

In the 2010-2011 season the Tour was very dissapointing, when Mika won the POY that year. Nothing really bought my interest in bowling, almost everything pre-taped except for the majors, the Team USA vs the World was stupid, as well as the Belmonte-Rash and Belmonte-Angelo bit that was even rumoured to be fake (although it was real). Fewer tournaments. I think Tom Clark does a great job now and the previous/current season was better with the Winter Swing, PBA League, Summer Swing in Milwakee as well as the majors. The only minus - during the Winter swing, the Earl Anthony, Mark Roth and so on shows were only finals, there were only 2 guys battling for it which wasn't very good. New patterns - that's also fresh along with the 5-year deal. Things are getting better, although Randy and company need to explain (him in particular) why one throws a solid, pearl, urethane, why that drilling and what he wants the ball to do, because that makes all the difference in the world in ball reactions in my opinion and that's interesting to guys like me that aren't pros.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12