Thread: Arthroscopic knee surgery might take longer to heal then you might think....

Chats: 0

Default Arthroscopic knee surgery might take longer to heal then you might think....

I had a torn meniscus and some cartilage under the knee cap that needed some shaving to make it smooth. The brochure from the doctor said recovery might take 6 weeks to 2 months before you can get back to your skiing, bowling or whatever sport you play. Now I am thinking that it depends on your age and what you have done.

May 25th which is comig up very soon will make it four months since my surgery. I am first getting about 90% better. I still have some issues but not bad. I went to therapy for two months and three times a week. I didn't go to work for two months because I am a currier for our company which involves a lot of squatting to pick up light to heavy boxes and hopping in and out of the company van and taking a steel dolly in and out of the van to carry the boxes. I had trouble squatting down far enough to pick up boxes without having pain under my kneecap.

I talked to other people I know that had this surgery and they said healing to 100% can take from three to six months and maybe longer to heal. If my meniscus wasn't a hanging tear and was just a split that the doc would have stitched back together to make it heal I would have to be on crutches for six weeks before I could go to therapy. The operated on knee cannot carry body weight for that long. Because mine was a hanging tear I could put body weight on it right after surgery but with the help of crutches for two or three days.

So if you are having this surgery don't try to rush your recovery time. All of our bodies are different and recovery time for you might take more or less time depending on your age and fitness. If you rush it you might be back to the hospital
    to fix something that went wrong because you wanted to get better faster.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 67

i have always heard knee surgery is worse than hip replacements and i have seen two ladies with knee surgery by two
    different doctors both were senior citizens and both had surgery on knees same day they were both in exercise area
    with me and one of their legs looked perfectly normal except for where the stitches were. The other ladies leg was black
    & blue from the top of her thigh down to her ankle. big difference. it is hard to remember but i believe i only missed about
    6 weeks of work with my first hip replacement and perhaps only 4 weeks with my 2nd the difference was they had a machine
    that kept my legs moving constantly in bed after the surgery and started me on water therapy as soon as i was relesed from the hospital. alot of things contribute to the healing process and some do go faster than others.
    JUDY / JUDY / JUDY...5/24/13 BOWLING RECORD AMF EULESS LANES HG 216 / HS 535
    PIN PALS, "PLEASE, " SPARE ME SOME STRIKES !!!
    I AM A HAPPY...BLESSED...PROUD...MEMBER...BOWLINGBOARDS.C OM

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Age plays a role also. When we are younger not only does the blood flow better but sometimes all those hormones raging through us do some good. Just do what it takes to heal properly the first time. The second, third and ninth times get tedious.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 1

Age is a huge factor but I had a partial knee replacement and at age 71 was bowling again in 6 mos. The doctor is the biggest factor.

Chats: 1

I am 61 and have had maniscus surgery for a minor tear 6 weeks ago. I am about 75 percent recovered. I can go up and down stariirs, but after sitting a while, downhil is a bit of a problem. So iit is clear that I am not 100% yet. The odd thing is that my other hip is more of a problem. I guess compensating for a bad knee has taken it's toll and my right IT needs constant attention. I am doing my exercises and seeing gradual increases in strength and flexability. I guess 6 months is a good estimate.
    I live by three simples rules:

1. Don't ever ask about my business
    2. Never discuss business at the table
    3. Don't ever side with anyone against the family