Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changed up my backswing.... now im lost

Default Changed up my backswing.... now im lost

Anyone give some pointers on where my timing is off now... I used to throw with not much backswing at all, I decided I wanted to get behind the ball more and increased my backswing just about a month ago, I was averaging around 200 and now I'd be lucky if I was averaging 175. I know my backswing is a lot better but to me it feels like a timing issue and possible a bit of an accuracy problem. I can try and post a video if needed. Half tempted to go back to my old ways. Just was looking for more consistency and more on the ball. Thanks Guys.

No real idea, crystal ball is in the shop so a video would be best.

Just to throw something out there, staying behind the ball has nothing to do with how high your back swing is.
    Whatever your doing to get increased backswing is most likely the culprit, cut it out.
    arsenal in use: columbia 300 hyde, track 811a, dv8 nightmare, rotogrip grenade
    avg: 210
    rev rate: 450
    high game / series: 290 / 831

Chats: 243

im no coach just merely speaking from experience as i too recently increased my backswing quite a bit. For me it was all about getting used to swinging that high and learning to control it on the way down. At first i went from a 175 avg to a 130 but now about 2 months later i back to where i was and improving. Imo just give it practice and time
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Storm Crossroad, Roto Grip Defiant, DV8 Too Reckless, Brunswick Avalanche Urethane

Ball Speed: 18Mph
    Rev Rate: 450
    Current average: 199
    High game: 300
    High Series: 769

Chats: 17

I think it will be hard to help you without a video; but have you read "The Game Changer" by Mark Baker? IMO the best bowling "self help" book there is. About $20 on Amazon. Even less if you get the Kindle version. A book you don't just read once, I refer to my copy a lot.

Chats: 55

Just a thought, but when my coach was working on some of my timing issues, we noticed that when my backswing was higher, I had to have a slow 1st, 2nd AND 3rd step - or my 3rd step had to be longer in order to keep the ball in time with my feet. Or you can start the ball earlier - I actually start my ball before my feet as this is the best way for me to get in-time with the ball.

Oh, and the higher the backswing, the more knee bend you will need - that's what the coach said anyway! So sometimes when we get older we shorten our backswing to compensate for the lack of knee bend.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

www.bowlingknowledge.info read all you can about torso rotation, balance arm, etc.
    Without a video it's hard to say but chances are you are not starting the ball early enough. As for accuracy, other than timing your swing plane may be off. This is usually caused by incorrect torso rotation.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Chats: 1

I tried "enhancing" my back swing after watching some of the pros on video. (I was watching Charis Barnes and Pete Weber.) While practicing the "improved" swing, a friend came over and said that I should just let the ball swing naturally and walk it to the foul line. (which I knew already,but somehow got lost in my efforts to improve). Now I notice Michael Fagan's (AKA "Stretch Armstrong") effortless swing. Also check out Miko Koivumeini (spelliing ?) and Parker Bohn III. They all have natural swings, with nothing special about them except they have control and magical release.

For me new and improved did not apply when it comes to swing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Last edited by GeoLes; 07-02-2013 at 04:40 PM.
    I live by three simples rules:

1. Don't ever ask about my business
    2. Never discuss business at the table
    3. Don't ever side with anyone against the family

Chats: 0

George, you hit the nail right on the head with, "If it ain't broke don't fix it". Many times when we want to change something we actually will go to a different direction that actually is going to hamper our improvements. People are of the misconception that a high backswing is always a way to improve, when actually, it could be the downfall of their average. When in doubt, check with a certified coach. Changing one's backswing means changing other aspects of your approach as well. My theory always has been, to enhance the natural rhythm you have, utilizing hand positions, line changes, and minimal sped changes. If doing something does not come natural to you, you'll find it very difficult to master. Sure there are a few thing we teach that may take a while but I've never taught anyone to have a high backswing. Does that make sense ?
    Bob

"There truly is such a thing as a bad night and when these doomed evenings arrive you can't avoid them. But there's a bright side to this, it's that bad nights won't kill you, and sometimes will make you a little smarter."

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Depends on the player's goal, Bob. If all they want to do is be competitve in a social league or maybe even their local scratch league, then sure, leave alone all you can. But if they want to compete on a regional or national level, then it's time to teach them the ways that will improve leverage. If the higher backswing creates more revs, speed and better ball reaction but the only thing keeping that from being a reality is changing when the ball is started by a step or a half step, then why should we sacrifice all that can be gained? Because some coach 30 years ago said to start the ball at that particular point? What if whoever that coach was, was a meathead? Anything becomes natural if you do it long enough but that doesn't mean it's correct or the most effective way of doing it.

Kind of like me being a jerk. It didn't always come this natural. I had to work at it. The Drill Sargeant Academy made sure I had the tools needed and coached the beginning stages. The rest was up to me.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

I think too many work on backswing when the should be focusing on some other area of their game, seen a bunch of guys over the years with high back swings and horrible releases.
    One guy we used to call statue of liberty because he literally held the ball over his head like a scepter and slammed it in the lane on release like he was putting up an umbrella at the beach.
    arsenal in use: columbia 300 hyde, track 811a, dv8 nightmare, rotogrip grenade
    avg: 210
    rev rate: 450
    high game / series: 290 / 831

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast