Default T o o d l e s

t-alking
    o-ver
    o-nes
    d-elivery
    l-oudly
    e-xcludes
    s-trikes

your up on the approach, your focused in on your target, you take your first step, now in your swing all the sudden out of no where you hear yelling behind, beside, or where ever
    does not matter what was said, your ball has already gone down the lane with out going
    over the intended target due to the startled nerves from the loud shouting from an
    obnoxious person who may be doing it intentionally because they want to get into your
    mental game to blow your score.

How does one deal with this in league play when you can not afford to have someone
    messing with your mind... How does one stay composed and focused when something
    like that is going on. It is obviously too late once the ball is in full swing so what
    would be the solution ?
    JUDY / JUDY / JUDY...5/24/13 BOWLING RECORD AMF EULESS LANES HG 216 / HS 535
    PIN PALS, "PLEASE, " SPARE ME SOME STRIKES !!!
    I AM A HAPPY...BLESSED...PROUD...MEMBER...BOWLINGBOARDS.C OM

Chats: 55

Practice stopping in your approach. I practice at home with and without ball. When walking just force yourself to swing your arm as if bowling and then suddenly stop your feet. When I actually do stop I always turn my body towards the ball and bring my left arm (non-bowling arm) up to support the swing of the ball. It's easier on the shoulder that way.

Otherwise, just try and focus through it. Sometime during practice, if you are with other people, have them be distracting on purpose...the one I'm not over yet, is when I hear my name - it always screws me up.

AND, I love the "toodles" - very creative, such as you are!

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by Judy clemons View Post
    How does one deal with this in league play when you can not afford to have someone
    messing with your mind... How does one stay composed and focused when something
    like that is going on. It is obviously too late once the ball is in full swing so what
    would be the solution ?
    If you know for sure that someone is targeting you and messing with you while you are in your approach, I would confront and call them out on it. If that does not work, certainly speak with league officers as this would be frowned upon.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Chats: 0

Definitly takes practice. While blocking out all sounds is good, you sometimes wanna make sure not to block out everything. Point being, when you line up on the wrong approach and luckily your team notices and yells at you to stop. Definitly being in the military helps with tuning almost everything out, but certain words or names will always make you stop dead in about .02 seconds.

As long as no one is yelling my name im good, With the league environment there's roudyness, drinking, yelling here and there.
    Most annoying when you get on a pair next to people who have to yell and clap for every strike... c'mon

Quote Originally Posted by JPbowl View Post
    As long as no one is yelling my name im good, With the league environment there's roudyness, drinking, yelling here and there.
    Most annoying when you get on a pair next to people who have to yell and clap for every strike... c'mon
    I think the only time that annoys me is the people that have high averages and are just show boating. If you're not that good and strikes come few and far between, then yeah go ahead and enjoy it. Like my wife, the only person I know that while trying, has scored a 0 for a full game... now she is doing better and can average close to 100, but she still gets excited at strikes, specially a string of them.

Judy.....We've all been in situations where someone or even a team is extremely loud. I've even seen some people do it purposely to try to distract someone on the approach. Definitely not a very good situation to be in. Let me tell you what I have done to evade this problem. When I am getting ready to get up and standing in the "on deck circle" (the area next to the ball return), I try to focus 100% on my shot. I completely block out, sounds, movement, and any other distraction around me (i.e.; pin chaser going down the center of the next lane to get a pin out of the gutter). I have at times had to have guys grab me from behind to stop me from going because of this concentration. Once I step on the approach I'm in my own world....don't hear anything or see anything. Takes a lot of practice, but it can be done. Unfortunately, these types of noise distractions will always continue and you either condition yourself or try to wait them out.
    Bob

"There truly is such a thing as a bad night and when these doomed evenings arrive you can't avoid them. But there's a bright side to this, it's that bad nights won't kill you, and sometimes will make you a little smarter."

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

What noise? I was sleeping on an M-1 tank once when it fired and it didn't wake me so yelling doesn't affect me, not on the approach anyway. And when it comes to trash talking, I've learned to do that with the best of them. Get them back and they will stop.
    All's fair in love, war and bowling!
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

When someone starts trash talking you. Just crush 10 into the pit, turn around and just raise your eye brow. Nothing shuts people up like a cold hearted bad@$$.

'
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunz1911 View Post
    When someone starts trash talking you. Just crush 10 into the pit, turn around and just raise your eye brow. Nothing shuts people up like a cold hearted bad@$$.
    True, this comes from inner strength. If your mind set is to get up, avoid any and all distractions, you're one step ahead of many bowlers.

The one thing I try to teach is that "It's YOU, the BALL, and your TARGET". That's it. Focus on those three things and it'll be a game changer for you.
    Bob

"There truly is such a thing as a bad night and when these doomed evenings arrive you can't avoid them. But there's a bright side to this, it's that bad nights won't kill you, and sometimes will make you a little smarter."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast