Thread: Magnesium bowling pin tournaments?

Blog Entries
    Chats: 67

Default Magnesium bowling pin tournaments?

We came across this special pin tournament at AMF EULESS LANES not too long ago and I have been
    curious ever since to find out the purpose of why these types of pins were used and how long they have
    been doing tournaments specifically for magnesium pins?
    We had a chance to compare the normal pin that we are use to bowling with to this type of pin and you could
    definitely feel the magnesium is heavier and the sound of them is different too. but I still don't understand
    why there would be a traveling league using them in a tournament does anyone have any information about
    this ...I would love to be enlightened, please?
    JUDY / JUDY / JUDY...5/24/13 BOWLING RECORD AMF EULESS LANES HG 216 / HS 535
    PIN PALS, "PLEASE, " SPARE ME SOME STRIKES !!!
    I AM A HAPPY...BLESSED...PROUD...MEMBER...BOWLINGBOARDS.C OM

Chats: 30

Did a little research on Google and it sounds interesting. Looks like the history is that they were come up with sometime in the late 60s and was approved for use. Because they are a heavier pin, apparently they react quite differently, as in less scatter and pins flying around so it's a challenge to have a higher scoring game.

Check up on "Lumberjack" bowling tournaments! Apparently it causes quite a challenge since accuracy becomes more critical when you don't have a lot of scatter.
    Last edited by DLP; 06-03-2013 at 02:50 AM.

If the pins are heavier, it'll change how they fly around (Less pin action) and how your ball will deflect off the pins (probably needs just a slightly stronger angle).

Blog Entries
    Chats: 67

Okay then please explain why any one would want to bowl in a league with that type of pin (that has no action) I like to
    watch pins dance around and fall.
    JUDY / JUDY / JUDY...5/24/13 BOWLING RECORD AMF EULESS LANES HG 216 / HS 535
    PIN PALS, "PLEASE, " SPARE ME SOME STRIKES !!!
    I AM A HAPPY...BLESSED...PROUD...MEMBER...BOWLINGBOARDS.C OM

Chats: 0

Same reason for sport patterns? Just makes the game different.

SandBagger
    Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Judy clemons View Post
    Okay then please explain why any one would want to bowl in a league with that type of pin (that has no action) I like to
    watch pins dance around and fall.
    Some people want a challange. Makes the game exciting and fun. Did that really need to be explained....
    Arsenal: Buzz attack Stinger, Bloody Cross Royal, Big Kahuna Congo, Big Kahuna Tribal, Morpheus Dream, Graffiti, YOLO, YOLO Pearl

Chats: 55

Seems like you would really be able to tell what the ball is doing and how it is reacting. Sometimes I wish my pins didn't dance so much...like when my coach asks: "what pin was the last to fall?" Duh, guess I might not have been watching close enough.