Page 101 of 225 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 2246

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    20mph we're talking Osku spare shooting speed
    In 2007, the average ball speed on the PBA tour was just over 19 mph. I'm sure it's over 20 by now. Palermaa's average spare shot speed is just over 28 mph!

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    In 2007, the average ball speed on the PBA tour was just over 19 mph. I'm sure it's over 20 by now. Palermaa's average spare shot speed is just over 28 mph!
    That's if he wants to get it up that high. Watching him at the US Open he wasn't anywhere close to that fast on spare shooting.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    A Cincinnati? Haven't heard that term before.
    Cincinnati = 8-10 I highlighted it in red because since I switched to 15lbs from 16lbs it's a pocket leave that I'm now leaving far more than I have in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    How did you know the pattern changed? Did they tell you it did, or, are you just assuming since the ball didn't react the way you usually want it to?
    I could tell with my ball reaction and watching some of the other lower speed players....you could see that the ball was skidding well past the usual 37-39 feet. I thought maybe it was just my speed was too high, but everyone else on the lanes all around us were complaining as well. The anchor for the other team switched to a lower speed approach midway through Game 1 and I did the same thing starting in Game 2. He saw me do it and started talking to me.

Speed is primarily about where you start your approach. People think it's about how HARD you throw...but it shouldn't be. You shouldn't be "trying" to throw the ball...it should be a relaxed, casual throw. The speed comes from where you start. I tend to start with my feet somewhere near the furthest dots back on the approach. I have long legs and tend to take too big a first step...so if I try to start closer...I struggle with timing as I get to the line too soon. But when your strongest ball, even when taken down to 1000 abralon (which I reluctantly had to do), is missing right of the headpin and you're as far right as you can get without a serious risk of going in the gutter....I had no choice but to move my feet up so my toe was up against the first set of dots on the approach.

Did it work? Sort of. I was able to find the pocket. Obviously a 205 is better than a 146. But without my speed, I lose power and thus carry. I have to rely on 'help' from messengers and such. Not to mention...the occasional miss left as I get to the line too soon and tug the shot.

To Amyers' points:
    1) I find that my optimal speed is about 15.5mph. BUT...that's optimal if I can play around the 5-9 board area and go out and in. I hoped to eventually improve my release to the point that my revs could support something more around 17-17.5mph...but that was a work in progress.

2) It's all about expectations. Your wife expects to throw in the 120s to 170s. If she has a few 180 games she's gonna be singing songs in the car on the way home from the center. My expectations have risen as my knowledge of the game has risen...but my natural talent is limiting my ability to translate that knowledge into results. And while a 550 series was a great night for me 1 year ago...my expectations are now 600+. So do I lower my expectations and just accept that it'll take me 15-20 years to get good enough to meet my nightly expectations? Or do I accept that I'm simply limited by age and natural ability and health and just learn to accept that? I don't know. I don't know if there is a right answer to that question.

3) And there are other things at play:

- Monday league is a joke...I now have to watch the girl I was sweet on make out the whole night with the young guy on the team...which is at best mildly annoying. They both arrive late every night....and the 4th player has only showed up like 4 weeks so far.

- The Wednesday "super team" is also a joke. Me and the anchor are doing our best...but our #3 bowler is up and down...mostly down. And the two leadoff bowlers are absolutely horrible...so there's no way we're the "super team" we thought we were.

- Finances: My daughter is really into horseback riding and I've been spending about $180-$280/month on that. Now the trainer is talking about her going to national competitions and leasing a horse....I may have to seriously cut back on my expenses to try and make that happen. That's gonna mean no more lessons...no more extras (sidepots, 50/50, brackets, tournaments, etc...)....and possibly no more bowling.

- Health: My knee has always been my potential limiting factor. I've had bad knees since before little league baseball....and I've continued to do just about every possible sport that is really hard on the knees (tennis, football, ice hockey, martial arts, running, bowling, etc..). But recently I've found another possible concern...skin cancer. Not sure if I have it or not....and even if I do...caught early, prognosis is good. But...cancer is cancer.

So, I might take all of next season off for the reasons above. And there's a strong possibility I'll be moving from California to Iowa next year so I don't want to be in 2 leagues and have to drop out midway though. Whether that means I'm done with bowling for good or just for a season...we'll see. It's been a fun two years and I learned a lot...still am learning. I recently decided to finally start and finish "Fundamentals of Bowling" by Chuck Pezzano (RIP, 2015). And I met some great and interesting people I otherwise would never have met. But I believe you can deceive anyone...but you can't deceive yourself. And it doesn't matter what other people think of my game and skill and improvement...if I 'know' that I've hit a wall I just don't have the natural talent to break through...I have to be honest with myself.
    Last edited by Aslan; 11-12-2015 at 06:45 PM.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

I been following your log, it seems like you made nice forward progress, but struggling in a month of November, even Dow Jones rebounds, so will your game. I believe you minimizing your accomplishment of averaging 200 on a "cupcake" lanes. I'm sure not everyone is averaging 200 over there, I'm certain that if I go bowl on those lanes I be lucky to get a 10 point score spike. I told you when you first mention about your teammates hooking up, probably best for you not to bowl with them, bowling is a mental game, and that stuff is hurting you. I'm in the same boat as you, I feel like I'm busting my *** trying to get better, and progress is slow, my ability is limited, but one by one I pass some league bowlers, and it's enjoyable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Cincinnati = 8-10 I highlighted it in red because since I switched to 15lbs from 16lbs it's a pocket leave that I'm now leaving far more than I have in the past.

- Health: My knee has always been my potential limiting factor. I've had bad knees since before little league baseball....and I've continued to do just about every possible sport that is really hard on the knees (tennis, football, ice hockey, martial arts, running, bowling, etc..). But recently I've found another possible concern...skin cancer. Not sure if I have it or not....and even if I do...caught early, prognosi s is good. But...cancer is cancer.
    Don't let skin cancer be your excuse, the most common forms of skin cancer are unpleasant and bothersome but rarely a death sentence, Melanoma is the worst form and accounts for the greatest number / percentage of deaths and when caught early the 10 year survival rate is well over 90%. One pretty sure indication of skin cancer is a sore that won't heal, go see a dermatologist and they can pinpoint the questionable area's.
    I can also tell you from personal experience that all cancer is not created equal. Pancreatic cancer is a death sentence, many skin cancer cases are a walk in the park by comparison.

Chats: 32

All though skin cancer is no walk in the park it's rarley more than a few weeks for whatever they had to remove to heal. Your in something of a slump at the moment, have convinced yourself that one of your houses scores aren't real, sounds like facing some financial challenges, and maybe not enjoying your teams as much as is possible. I've been in something of a slump here latley myself. Shot 619 tonight not super but better at least. Slumps happen and your right about expectations maybe your expectations have gotten ahead of themselves.

I've had surgery on both knees so I know what it's like to have to start with some Advil and feel bad after a 6 game stretch. I can compete with the high average guys when they are having a bad game I'd like to get to where I'm competitive with them all the time. I don't know if it will ever happen. I may never be better than a slightly above average bowler. I would love to be able to play in the local tournaments as more than a donator. Not sure I'll ever get there. I can make some friends, occasionally win my handicap league, and maybe have a few good weeks and convince myself I'm better than I really am. At the end of the day I'm better off than if I didn't bowl
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Man o man I bet the Iceman is chomping at the bit on this one.

We know you're creepin out there old man. C'mon, jump in!!!
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Quote Originally Posted by bubba809 View Post
    Man o man I bet the Iceman is chomping at the bit on this one.

We know you're creepin out there old man. C'mon, jump in!!!
    Don't encourage him. The last thing I need is him both reassuring me that I simply lack "The Gift" and then offering miracle cancer cures from Dr. McGillicutty and the Aliens from Planet 20511 in sector VII.3 of the Moku Galaxy.

Monday League: medium-oil synthetics, THS (38-40ft?) with some out of bounds at 1-3.

525 Series: 182-192-151

Game 1 went okay...but a couple missed single-pins. Another missed single-pin in Game 2...otherwise decent. Game 3 the booze started hitting me HARD!! This new plan of enjoying bowling and just getting hammered and play for fun....MAN! It was working out pretty good until Game 3. Phew....I'm still drunk as all hell(o) from Game 3...

Not much entertainment...the one guy we were bowling against said other bowlers were "watching me" because apparently I was throwing some pretty damn good shots. But wow...the alcohol eventually caught up with me and I'll be DAMNED if I could make a spare once I was toasted.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.00 pins
    Strikes: 45% (4 doubles and 5 singles)
    Spares: 47% picked up

Single Pin spares: 44% (4/9)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (3x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 2-pin, 5-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 50% (4/8)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 3-9 and 6-10 baby split (2x each).

Splits: 0% (0/2).

Average over 3 games: 175.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 192.67.

Well...the lesson with Mark Baker may have helped fix some problems and get me out of my slump...but I can't tell for sure since I'm drunk as a $3 whore.

Of what I can gather...I looked pretty damn good tonight. I guess I looked so good that some nearby bowlers were starting to take notice. But, I can't really tell. I'm wasted. And note to others...the FIRST thing to go when you're wasted....is apparently spare shooting...I swear on the last few attempts...those pins were moving on their own...avoiding my ball.

We lost 3 of 4...had I stayed sober....I "might" have been able to take 3 out of 4...but we lost 3 out of 4...and I've had the hiccups since I left the alley...ughhhhj.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

So you sat down and typed this while you were hammered with hiccups?? Wow, if I had too much at the alley the last thing I feel like doing is expressing my feeling on a website. And they weren't "watching" your bowling style, they were "watching" your Charlie Sheen-like shirts.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Page 101 of 225 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201 ... LastLast