Page 104 of 225 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114154204 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 2246

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    I don't get the connection between the length oiled and the number of people. Do they advertise that that the pattern is shorter and more people show up or, being in California, the people sense a " disturbance in the Force" that lets them know the lanes weren't oiled all the way down and therefore decide to enter?
    A guy affiliated with the alley (I don't know how) puts on this "tournament" every week. It's more of a "fun thing".

Well, because it's on a Saturday night...and they oil before the tournament starts....they usually only oil 3 pairs or sometimes 4 pairs....5 or 6 pairs if they anticipate a lot of people.

The problem is....if they underestimate...they usually don't have the guy come back out with the oil machine. I know he was put there oiling because I saw him. But I only saw him oil 3-5 pairs and I think we used 6-7 pairs because the guy's (who runs it) wife was celebrating her birthday...so a bunch of people showed up.

So, what I meant by "oil all the way down" is the guy with the machine...he stopped after oiling 3-5 lanes...and the tournament ended up needing 6-7.

As to why they wouldn't just oil the whole side...it's a Saturday night and if they do that they may have to turn away people while oiling and then probably not even need half of the lanes on that side.

The lanes at this house....for some reason....probably age since this is an older house...they transition faster than other places I play. And there actually can be significant variation from lane to lane. The approaches/lanes are so questionable that during the tournament I could see the lane surface move up and down when the ball landed on it. It was an older lady that dropped the ball just pass the foul line and the lane surface moved up and down looking like there was a fairly decent sized crack between the lanes and approach.

So at these lanes...the fresh oil doesn't stay fresh for long...so it's very apparent when they've been oiled or not. I think it would be an impossible house to throw an 800 or 900 at. I've seen people have great games...but it seems like they do well for one game when the lanes match their style...but that only lasts for a short time. So you end up having to move laterally faster than you're comfortable.

And for my arsenal, if I get too far inside, my solids don't "work" anymore. They just don't have 'snap' at the end...and I wouldn't expect that of solids. So then I have to use my hybrids and pearls...which makes me move further inside than I am comfortable with.

But I figured explaining it this way would be long and boring. And I was right.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Monday League: medium-heavy oil synthetics, THS (40-42ft?) with some out of bounds at 1-3.

502 Series: 153-185-164

I struggled in Game 1 trying to find a line and my spare shooting was miserable.

Game 2 was a chopped 1-3-9 away from a clean game. But too few strikes to get above 200.

Game 3 I never struck. I missed a single 5-pin in the 3rd frame and a single 4-pin in the 4th frame.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.62 pins
    Strikes: 25% (2 doubles and 4 singles)
    Spares: 69% picked up

Single Pin spares: 76% (10/13)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 4-pin and 7-pin (4x each)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 2-pin, 3-pin, 6-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 60% (6/10)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 1-2-4 and 2-4-5 (2x each).

Splits: n/a

Average over 3 games: 167.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 178.33.

Striking 25% is a rough night. Looking at the stats, the spare shooting was better than I predicted. Normally missing 3 single-pins in a night is a bad night...but I guess it's not quite as if you made 10.

I tried to play outside...similar to where I was at Saturday...but the fresh oil is just too long. It played a lot like the longer PBA sport shots...where outside of second arrow won't come back. So I spent most of my night playing a very tight line up 11-12 at the dots; 9-10 at the arrows. No miss room though. I miss slightly right left me weak hits and I had to hope misses left struck brooklyn. No splits though, so that was helpful.

And sidenote...even though these are scores of the "non-lady" kind...an update on the younger female bowler on the team...I guess I don't have to watch her make out with the young guy on the team because they broke up and he quit the team. Wonderful.

I thought that would give me an opening...but by Game 2 she had found a young guy that wanted to join the league and is also a guy she is kinda sweet on. So I guess the problem didn't go away...it's just gonna be a new dude to make out with. Ugh...

League average in this house down to 174 as the slump continues...
    Last edited by Aslan; 11-24-2015 at 04:32 AM.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chin up Buckeroo. Have you given any thought about "switching sides"?
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Mean lefty or are you referring to something else entirely?

Wednesday League: low-oil synthetics; easy THS.

659 Series: 220-245-194

Two missed single-pins in Game 1, but I struck 8 times so that helped.

Didn't make any lateral adjustments for Game 2; but should have to stay ahead of the transition. Using my system, I was supposed to make a 1 (target) and 2 (feet) move left before the shot in frame 9 of Game 2. But, I was enjoying striking so much that I totally forgot to move and my only open was a chopped baby split (3-10).

Game 3 was clean except for a missed single 10-pin in the 4th frame. Couldn't run strikes together though.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.53 pins
    Strikes: 64% (1 6-bagger, 1 5-bagger, 3 doubles, and 5 singles)
    Spares: 54% picked up

Single Pin spares: 62% (5/8)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (4x)
    Only left the following single pins: 2-pin, 3-pin, 7-pin, and 10-pin

Multiple Pin spares: 33% (1/3)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: n/a (3 different leaves)

Splits: 0% (0/1).

Average over 3 games: 219.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 231.67.

I guess my lesson last night helped. The stats paint a pretty clear picture...completely in contrast to what I posted after Monday's league. I can't expect to roll an 800 or even a 700 if I miss makable spares.

The lanes had a decent amount of dry area outside with what appears to be a shorter (36-37ft). But, I may be wrong; it could have been 40-42ft in the middle of the lane.

The pattern seemed to have too much dry outside to use the Lethal Revolver (LeR) so I started off with the Dark Encounter (DE). Probably should have balled down earlier once I started to lose carry. Left a weak 7-pin in the 1st frame, a week 10-pin in the 4th frame, then back-to-back weak 10-pins in the 6th and 7th frames. I balled down to the Asylum and first shot was a perfect strike, so I probably should have switched to the Asylum more towards the beginning versus the last 3 frames.

At my lesson yesterday night, we identified one of my bowling limitations which is the ability to SEE how the ball is reacting (much less see it of teammates and opponents). So, thats something I'll have to learn.

The team took 3 points out of 4 and we're gonna end up somewhere between 11th and 2nd with tonights 3 points. Even though I'm not the anchor on this team, I was trying to outscore their anchor to push/pace myself. But, beat me 2 out of 3 games with a 693 series. Being a 170s average bowler, it looks very strange when I shoot a 194 yet didn't help the team because it's below my average.

Nice shooting.

Bowler
    Chats: 1

Nice set Aslan!

Friday Holiday Practice: Home Center (Mon. League); medium-oil synthetics, seems like a longer pattern with a bit more length on the outside...causing the outside 5 boards to essentially be out-of-bounds.

Not sure if they're doing the Saturday tournament due to the holidays and was planning to maybe golf Saturday anyways...so figured I'd get some practice in at the center that I can't seem to get my average out of the 170s. I lucked out and got a pair that only had maybe 1-3 games on them but unfortunately it was the hardest pair in the house.

Warm-Up Game: 143
    I started around the 12-board and the oil was obviously as fresh as they said because I spent most of warm-ups moving right to find an initial line.

533 Series: 191-122-220 (clean)

First 3 frames I was hitting light so I balled down to the Dark Encounter but it seemed to have similar struggles. Midway through Game 2 I balled down to the Asylum hoping it could give me some more length...but it was all over the place. So, Game 3 I balled down to the Melee Jab (courtesy of RobM when I was in Vegas in July) and it just started destroying the pins. I went on to strike 6 out of 7 times on the right lane. And if it weren't for a couple bad shots...I might have had 10 straight.

Unfortunately, this house the lanes transition rather quickly...and on the last shot, I knew it was time to switch again. The left me the Loaded Revolver for the last 3 games.

533 Series: 192-162-179

Normally I'd say "remarkably" consistent with back-to-back 533s...but it's more like "non-remarkable yet similar".

The Loaded Revolver just didn't have the same bit that the Jab did. The coverstocks and RGs are similar, so I think Rob might be right regarding the technology difference because the only real difference is release date/technology. I had a decent line develop on the left lane, but couldn't find one again on the right lane. Might have been a good idea to use the Loaded Revolver on the left lane and the Jab on the right lane...but by the 7th game I was mentally shutting down. Now that I got so much going on in my head...I think the 12-game practice marathons are a thing of my past.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.51 pins
    Strikes: 33% (1 6-bagger, 1 turkey, 1 double, and 15 singles)
    Spares: 57% picked up

Single Pin spares: 76% (7/10)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 7-pin, 9-pin, and 10-pin (4x each)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 4-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 46% (15/32)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 2-4-5 and 1-2-4-10 (4x each)

Splits: 0% (0/4).

Average over 7 games: 172.71.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 177.57.

I learned some things...so the practice was definitely worth it.

In no specific order;
    - I learned that there may be something to a lot of the stuff RobM talks about regarding balls losing energy. My coach talked about it on Tuesday and it was very similar to what Rob has been pointing out. It's an extremely important concept for me to finally gain some understanding of because prior to the light bulb going off....I'd have been trying to move far right with my earliest hooking ball when I started to hit light or miss right...when really you want to just use a ball that goes longer in the transition.

- I learned that my arsenal isn't perfect. Due to technology changes...it's possible I have the balls in the wrong order and/or 5 balls that end up giving me 2 looks (because some of them are too similar). That will continue to be a weakness until I can learn to read lanes better and faster.

- I recognized that this center is harder than I first believed. My coach used to bowl leagues there and said it was a very difficult house due to it's age and how very different certain pairs can behave. I shrugged that off as her just trying to feel better for apparently being a 170s bowler carrying a 190 average...but I made some very good shots this evening that missed a couple boards at the dots...and there was no forgiveness. Very little room for error in that house. So, moral of the story, I shouldn't hang myself over the 174 average just yet.

Most importantly, I learned that if I can combine what M. Baker has been working on with me regarding my first two steps...and combine that with what Missy has been working on regarding my last two steps....my approach/timing is essentially fixed. It DOES annoy me that it took me over a year to fix 4 steps when a baby could probably have learned to walk in that time...but I digress.

The DOWNside of today's practice is:
    1) It hasn't solved too much...since there's really no guarantee the Jab will perform as well on another pair. But, I'm making better ball changes and seeing things better...so maybe I start with the Jab next week...maybe I don't...but at least I should be able to read things better in practice.
    2) I didn't work on/fix the two things I actually INTENDED to work on/fix. I was wanting to get more single-pin spare practice in and work on my tendency to raise up during my shot...but I was so busy working on reading the ball movement and fixing my approach...I forgot.

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

"Game 3 I balled down to the Melee Jab (courtesy of RobM when I was in Vegas in July) and it just started destroying the pins."

I have that ball in my bag of tricks. When I'm at a house that transitions enough to use it, it is hell on wheels when it hits. Unfortunately, I've yet to run into that situation in my regular league, thus the IQ Nano.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

The Loaded Revolver just didn't have the same bit that the Jab did. The coverstocks and RGs are similar, so I think Rob might be right regarding the technology difference because the only real difference is release date/technology. I had a decent line develop on the left lane, but couldn't find one again on the right lane. Might have been a good idea to use the Loaded Revolver on the left lane and the Jab on the right lane...but by the 7th game I was mentally shutting down. Now that I got so much going on in my head...I think the 12-game practice marathons are a thing of my past.

Last Sunday I bowled 15 games (plus one game of throwing at 7 pin), I actually bowled better as the night went on, it was all you can bowl $10 special, my body held up well, however I ripped my thumb. I bowled again Monday (3 games with coach), and Tuesday (league night), my thumb got really bad, I was off this week Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, but with my thumb like that I cannot bowl till Tuesday the league night best case scenario.

Page 104 of 225 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114154204 ... LastLast