Page 105 of 225 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 2246

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Monday League: lighter oil volume synthetics, plays like a longer THS (41-43ft) with some out of bounds at 1-4, transitions fast.

547 Series: 196-189-162

I've been thinking. My coach gave me a hint that my Monday league lanes transition quickly. So, how could they play so long and transition so quickly? So, I figured that maybe the reason I've been struggling at this house is similar to what RobM has been preaching...the solids aren't skidding...they're just used up that point...which explains the weak hits. So, instead of starting with my usual progression, I started with the Dark Encounter. The lanes were playing very different (which is usual for this house) so I was using the same ball, but the left lane I was playing far more inside than the right lane. Picked up a 2-5-7 split in the 5th to stay clean but missed the 10-pin in the 8th to ruin it.

I was thinking of balling down to the Asylum on the left lane as I was getting out of my comfort zone and figured I'd switch for both lanes to try and stay ahead of the transition. Took a couple shots to adjust for the ball change...probably a frame too early. Chopped a 2-5 in the first frame and then fouled in the 4th frame and could only get 9. Otherwise clean and the Asylum carried better than usual.

Similar to Game 2, I decided to ball down to the Melee Jab...which carried very well in the last practice session...but in Game 3 it was all over the place. Weak, then carrying okay, then gunning through the nose. Unfortunately, gunned through the nose in the 10th and while I did come closer to picking it up (without actually picking it up) than I probably ever had...the 6-7-10. An open in the 9th and 10th spells disaster for scoring.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.50 pins
    Strikes: 40% (3 doubles and 7 singles)
    Spares: 63% picked up

Single Pin spares: 83% (5/6)
    Most common single-pin leave: 5-pin (2x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, 4-pin, 6-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 53% (7/13)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: n/a (all 1x).

Splits: 25% (1/4)

Average over 3 games: 182.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 185.33.

I played better. I executed better. Had a problem with the foul line...sliding over it. I adjusted, but once it got in my head I started pulling up on some shots.

I thought my single-pin spare shooting was horrible until I checked the stats in PinPal and saw that I only missed that one 10-pin.

As for ball selection, I'm gonna try starting with the Dark Encounter again, unless practice dictates otherwise. But I'm starting to finally understand burning up/loos of energy a little better.

The team is horrible. The girl I liked is now banging the new guy bowler on the team...so it's back to kiss faces all night. And this one can't even bowl. The league makes new male bowlers start at 175 for 12 games...so we'll be getting killed in handicap for a month since he's about a 135 bowler. Thats okay. Wednesday is the serious league.
    Last edited by Aslan; 12-02-2015 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Changed "2-5-9" to "2-5-7"...
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 32

Looks like your figuring some stuff out. Why did you change from the Asylum for game 3?
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Looks like your figuring some stuff out. Why did you change from the Asylum for game 3?
    It was complicated because the lanes played so differently and I prefer not to use different balls on each lane because then I either have to use one VISE insert that fits and one that "sorta fits" or I gotta keep switching them around between frames.

So, on one lane, I probably wouldn't have switched balls at the start of Game 3, but on the other lane I was getting too far inside and once I get around the 13-16 board area (at the dots), I just have too much speed and not enough rpms to get the ball to make the turn effectively...not to mention I lose all of my miss room with that shot.

So, mudpuppy (RIP) cliff notes version...in the 7th frame, I noticed the Asylum moving a bit too much (left the 6-9-10). I moved 2:1 left, but carried a light pocket strike in the 9th. I was considering staying with the Asylum on the left lane until I left the 4-9 split on the first fill ball after a strike (10th frame)...so rather than make a 1:1 left and keep throwing the Asylum on one lane...I just made a wholesale switch on both lanes to the Melee Jab.

One arsenal problem I'm having is that the Jab, while similar in specs to the Loaded Revolver, is more aggressive most likely due to the newer technology. And there's a 'possibility' that the Jab could even be stronger than the Asylum. So when treating your arsenal like a progression (which I am forced to do until I can learn to read the lanes better in practice), it's a ? whether the Jab should be 4th versus 3rd.

I've also been trying to add a slight 'adjustment' when switching balls to account for perhaps the arsenal not being perfect...just a slight lateral/target movement depending on the ball...to maximize the first shot carry after the switch. But...I abandoned that endeavor after my last lesson when I made a couple ball changes, no lateral movements, and things seemed to work fine.

The more questionable ball change was actually the D. Encounter to the Asylum. The DE was still hitting light on the right lane...but was starting to cause me to move a bit left on the left lane. I thought maybe the problem on the right lane was the solid cover burning up...and figured since I was seeing transition on the left...with the house being known for light volume and fast transition...maybe a ball change AHEAD of the transition would help. Remember that last Wednesday, I probably could have gotten a 700 series had I changed balls sooner...but I was trying to get every last bit out of the D. Encounter and things were going so well (220-245-) that I figured it was safer to stick with what was working. That left me with 3x 10-pins and a 7-pin in the first 7 frames of Game 3, before I finally balled down to the Asylum in the 8th. Tonight, unless things are goofy, I think I'll ball down at the start of Game 3...see how that goes.

I understand Rob's objections to those kind of pre-determined movements, but I just can't read my ball movement well enough (even with my new glasses) to get enough information NOT to have some type of system in place.

Chats: 256

Sounds like a lot of over thinking it. But, this is Aslan we are talking about.

Since when is a 2-5-9 a split?

Sounds like some over under with the Melee in game 3.

No disputing that you have come a long way Aslan. Keep it up.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    Since when is a 2-5-9 a split?
    Ooops. 2-5-7

It would be rather difficult to leave a 2-5-9. Ironically, you'd pick it up the same way most likely.

Wednesday League: Easy THS, heavy oil volume in the middle, shorter (36-38ft) length, very dry outside.

This pair I usually do well on, but that was with my older, flatter release...tonight they presented a difficulty as this pair plays drier than the rest of the pairs.

553 Series: 219-159-175

Was doing well in practice with the Dark Encounter and Asylum so I decided to start out with the Asylum. Unfortunately, after leaving a flat 7-pin in the 3rd frame (my only open ) on a perfectly executed shot; I knew it was probably just too dry and the ball was losing too much energy to strike well. I switched to the Melee Jab on both lanes starting in the 4th frame but had to play much further inside (10-13 boards at the dots) than on the right lane where I was 9-10 at the dots.

Game 2 it was all weak hits on the left lane, trying to play that inside line and by frame 7 I switched to the Loaded Revolver on the left lane but kept throwing the Jab on the right lane. But, three open frames and no doubles as I struggled trying to figure out the proper ball/lane. That ended my brackets early!

Game 3 I was playing the Lo. Revolver on both lanes but the transition finally caught up with me on the right lane and I left (and subsequently chopped or missed) two consecutive 3-6-10s in the 7th and 9th frames. Struck all but one frame on the left lane as that line finally started to play a little better. Only 2 open frames, but costly ones.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.94 pins
    Strikes: 42% (1 4-bagger, 2 doubles, and 6 singles)
    Spares: 61% picked up

Single Pin spares: 75% (6/8)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (3x)
    Only left the following single pins: 5-pin, 7-pin, 8-pin, and 10-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 50% (5/10)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 6-10 and 3-6-10 (2x each)

Splits: 0% (0/2).

Average over 3 games: 184.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 191.33.

Disappointing night, but the team took 3 of 4 points. I have to patient because it's going to take time to put all of the 5-7 physical elements together. First step is still too big, I still sometimes drop my shoulder on the push away, my balance was only "so-so", and my spine tilt was too inconsistent. Again did better on spares than I thought. The missed 7-pin, 10-pin, and the two failed attempts at the 3-6-10 really rattled me.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Have you ever considered adding some polish to the DE? I think it would be interesting to see if you started with the Lethal or Asylum and had a shiny strong ball to move in with. You don't really have that in your current arsenal and I know you've been kind of disappointed in the DE it might be a good way to try using your balls a little differently. Maybe try 1000 polished on it. I could be wrong but with what you describe happening to you when you ball down I just think that might be the answer. Not a terrible night sometime the strikes just don't come together use a miss a spare or two and you end up with a 550 where you bowled well.

Current arsenal

I've been reluctant to alter the surfaces by sanding or polishing. My reasoning is:

1) Until you can totally tell when a ball is missing right versus losing energy...it's just a 'guess'.
    2) It's debateable whether a surface change, especially by hand with abralon pads, actually does anything significant. By 'significant' I mean that there are arguments that can be made that such a surface change lasts only about 1 game. And since you can't re-surface between games (USBC rule), you have to hope that whatever you were trying to accomplish will be eased by transition after 1 game. For sanding, that's possible. For polishing, less so.
    3) Last arsenal I experimented a LOT with surfacing and ultimately I think it made things worse. I was missing right, sanding, missing right, sanding, etc... And I think all that did is completely kill any chance of conserving energy for the pins. So, once bitten, twice shy.

And lastly, although I'll probably try your suggestion just out of curiosity if for no other reason, I've had trouble polishing bowling balls. I bought some of the Storm polish but to apply it by hand, it just doesn't seem to do much. And I'm reluctant to have a pro shop polish/surface the balls because you're paying $5-$15 and if it works...you now have to do that every night because the polish doesn't last very long. And I've also been reluctant to buy a ball spinner because most of the assembled units are poor quality and the more professional ones are extremely expensive. You can 'make' one...but by the time I buy all the individual parts to make it...it's a wash versus the purchase option.

I think this is the case of my arsenal still not being perfectly put together. The Lethal Revolver has a higher RG than the Dark Encounter...so I had planned for the Dark Encounter to be in the #1 spot and Lethal Revolver #2. But since they are different manufacturers...as RobM has talked about...it's not an apples to apples comparison. And since Brunswick balls tend to hook SOONER...and Columbia later...the decision was made to switch their order...

...but in retrospect...having two solids cover balls with the RGs backwards (usually you'd work your way UP in RG)...is sort of acting against the manufacturer differences...which long story short means they are probably too similar.

So, the reason I think I have struggled with the D.E. until recently....is I always start with the Le. Revolver and ball down to the D.E. But if the Le. Revolver is burning up...it's very likely the D.E. isn't the best ball down option. Lately I've been having success, but that's because I'm STARTING with the D.E....then balling down to the Hybrid Asylum.

RobM says the RGs are the key...I think the cover material is the key...but there's solid arguments on both sides. IDEALLY...in a 4-ball arsenal (progression style) you want:
    #1 solid cover, low RG
    #2 hybrid cover, medium RG
    #3 pearl cover, high RG
    #4 pearl cover, cery high RG

OR
    #1 solid cover, low RG
    #2 solid cover, high RG
    #3 hybrid cover, medium RG
    #4 pearl cover, medium to high RG

I set mine up as solid, solid, hybrid, pearl....which is ideal. But my RGs are all screwed up because they go high RG, low RG, medium RG, high RG. The first two balls...when you factor in RG and manufacturer...I think are too similar. And that's where your polish idea makes sense...to try to add separation between ball #1 and ball #2.

And that's why, if I do decide to bowl in a league or two next season...when I eventually make my arsenal change...I might actually go to a 2-ball arsenal, both pearls, really low RG (RG Defiant Edge) to really high RG (Track 300A). I lose a lot of versatility...but it gets me down to one 3-ball bag (half what I lug around now), with two strike balls that are going to behave differently almost for certain.

But, to really pull off using Pearls...you need a good release. It's all about getting them to a breakpoint and the rpms giving you angle. With lower revs, pearls are just straight balls with a little hook at the end. I'm starting to improve my release and delivery to the point where hopefully I can do better with pearls than I did with my last arsenal. As my revs are increasing, solids are going to be difficult to use on a house shot...unless I add more speed...and I don't need that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I've been reluctant to alter the surfaces by sanding or polishing. My reasoning is:

1) Until you can totally tell when a ball is missing right versus losing energy...it's just a 'guess'.
    2) It's debateable whether a surface change, especially by hand with abralon pads, actually does anything significant. By 'significant' I mean that there are arguments that can be made that such a surface change lasts only about 1 game. And since you can't re-surface between games (USBC rule), you have to hope that whatever you were trying to accomplish will be eased by transition after 1 game. For sanding, that's possible. For polishing, less so.
    3) Last arsenal I experimented a LOT with surfacing and ultimately I think it made things worse. I was missing right, sanding, missing right, sanding, etc... And I think all that did is completely kill any chance of conserving energy for the pins. So, once bitten, twice shy.

And lastly, although I'll probably try your suggestion just out of curiosity if for no other reason, I've had trouble polishing bowling balls. I bought some of the Storm polish but to apply it by hand, it just doesn't seem to do much. And I'm reluctant to have a pro shop polish/surface the balls because you're paying $5-$15 and if it works...you now have to do that every night because the polish doesn't last very long. And I've also been reluctant to buy a ball spinner because most of the assembled units are poor quality and the more professional ones are extremely expensive. You can 'make' one...but by the time I buy all the individual parts to make it...it's a wash versus the purchase option.

I think this is the case of my arsenal still not being perfectly put together. The Lethal Revolver has a higher RG than the Dark Encounter...so I had planned for the Dark Encounter to be in the #1 spot and Lethal Revolver #2. But since they are different manufacturers...as RobM has talked about...it's not an apples to apples comparison. And since Brunswick balls tend to hook SOONER...and Columbia later...the decision was made to switch their order...

...but in retrospect...having two solids cover balls with the RGs backwards (usually you'd work your way UP in RG)...is sort of acting against the manufacturer differences...which long story short means they are probably too similar.

So, the reason I think I have struggled with the D.E. until recently....is I always start with the Le. Revolver and ball down to the D.E. But if the Le. Revolver is burning up...it's very likely the D.E. isn't the best ball down option. Lately I've been having success, but that's because I'm STARTING with the D.E....then balling down to the Hybrid Asylum.

RobM says the RGs are the key...I think the cover material is the key...but there's solid arguments on both sides. IDEALLY...in a 4-ball arsenal (progression style) you want:
    #1 solid cover, low RG
    #2 hybrid cover, medium RG
    #3 pearl cover, high RG
    #4 pearl cover, cery high RG

OR
    #1 solid cover, low RG
    #2 solid cover, high RG
    #3 hybrid cover, medium RG
    #4 pearl cover, medium to high RG

I set mine up as solid, solid, hybrid, pearl....which is ideal. But my RGs are all screwed up because they go high RG, low RG, medium RG, high RG. The first two balls...when you factor in RG and manufacturer...I think are too similar. And that's where your polish idea makes sense...to try to add separation between ball #1 and ball #2.

And that's why, if I do decide to bowl in a league or two next season...when I eventually make my arsenal change...I might actually go to a 2-ball arsenal, both pearls, really low RG (RG Defiant Edge) to really high RG (Track 300A). I lose a lot of versatility...but it gets me down to one 3-ball bag (half what I lug around now), with two strike balls that are going to behave differently almost for certain.

But, to really pull off using Pearls...you need a good release. It's all about getting them to a breakpoint and the rpms giving you angle. With lower revs, pearls are just straight balls with a little hook at the end. I'm starting to improve my release and delivery to the point where hopefully I can do better with pearls than I did with my last arsenal. As my revs are increasing, solids are going to be difficult to use on a house shot...unless I add more speed...and I don't need that.
    I get where your coming from. Do not try to polish a ball by hand. Take it to the proshop and have them do it. The pearl finishes seem to wear better to me than the lower grit finishes they are good for 25-50 games even if you pay $15/35 games that's .42 a game. Hand sanding is great to help keep your ball in shape between resurfaces it's not anywhere near the same as taking the ball to the proshop every 30-50 at most and have them redo it.

Just my thought I know you lack that strong pearl and weren't really happy with the DE. $15 bucks is a quick way to get a different look and if it doesn't work you can always change it back. The other thing about adding polish it's not just about keeping it from burning up it's about allowing it to save energy for a bigger turn on the back.
    Last edited by Amyers; 12-03-2015 at 02:18 PM.

Current arsenal

Polish it once on a spinner and clean it after each use, and the polish will last at least 30 games. As for the whole solid, pearl, hybrid nonsense, take a pearl and hit it hard (on a spinner) with 500 abralon, and take a solid with a similar core at 2000 and add polish, and I'll bet you that the solid with the polish gets further down the lane. The material might account for 25% of the cover reaction, but the surface accounts for the other 75%!

Page 105 of 225 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155205 ... LastLast