Page 11 of 225 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Wednesday Practice: Synthetic Lanes- low oil

Needed to practice with my Rhythm and on synthetic lanes in preparation for Saturday's tournament. Money is tight so I took advantage of $1 per game bowling at a student commons that happens to have a bowling alley.

392 Series: 144-125-123
    Worst series in some time! Tried to play my normal line with the Rhythm but it was going WAY left of target. In game 2 I moved to my "B-game" and started playing the outside line, around board 6. But that was even WORSE!! Six straight 9s…only one strike. So starting in frame 3 I was "around" the headpin…but struggling. In game 3 I abandoned the outside and moved inside. Tried standing 5 boards left of center and throwing out to the 14 board/thereabouts…but I couldn't strike. And to make matters worse, I was struggling a great deal picking up spares.

453 Series: 126-151-176
    In the first game I decided to give in to Rob Mautner's advice and switch balls. It was becoming glaringly obvious that these lanes had not seen much oil..and the Rhythm is just too strong. But throwing the Frantic at the 8-11 boards and then at the 6 board…it wasn't working either. Horrible spare shooting as well. In game 2 I went back to the Rhythm and trying to play inside. NO strikes…but I was picking up spares. In game 3 I moved as far inside as I could…standing about board 30-32 and aiming for boards 11-16. FIVE strikes…but bad spare shooting killed me.

431 Series: 171-120-140
    Only a few opens in game 1. Still playing far inside. Game 2 things fell apart. So I realized my only other choice was to pull out the Frantic and play inside with it. It was the last of my 6 options unless I wanted to do something more drastic and speed up the ball…but I hate to go back to that bad habit if I can avoid it. Game 3 was a little better at marking, but only struck twice.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 7.71 pins
    Strikes: 19% (but only 1 turkey and 2 doubles, the rest single)
    Spares: 40% picked up

Single Pin spares: 50% (11/22)
    Most common single pin leaves: 5 and 10.
    Never left a single 1, 2, 7, or 8.

Multiple Pin spares: 46% (20/43)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 2-4-5 (5 times)

Splits: 0% (0/4)

Average over 9 games: 141.78
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 154.44

Overall a disappointing night. I needed to practice with my ball on at least moderate oil synthetics to prepare myself for Saturday…but these lanes were so dry that it was even less useful than practicing on wood. The only benefit was throwing the Rhythm again. It's been awhile since I've thrown it. But no other real value.

Still hitting light. Still leaving 3/4 buckets (2-4-5) (5x). But TEN single 5-pins! Only good news….I was 90% at picking up the single 5-pin.
    Last edited by Aslan; 01-23-2014 at 02:46 AM.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Thursday Mid-Day Practice: synthetics lanes- heavy oil

417 Series: 122-137-158
    What a stark contrast between last night and today!! I went from the driest lanes I've ever seen to pretty much the slickest (or tied) lanes I've ever played on. First game, couldn't pick up spares. I tried to adjust for the lanes being too slick...but I should have just considered everything a straight shot because I was getting NO bite. More horrible spare shooting in game 2. Finally started seeing the light at the end of the tunnel in game 3...first 6 frames were clean, then a split, then a spare...then fell apart the last 2 frames.

537 Series: 211-155-171
    Started off game 1 with an open, missing a 7-pin. Then a few spares...then a missed 9-pin. Then a spare and 5 straight strikes. Ran into trouble in game 2...again; spares. Game 3 was better...a split, a missed 7-pin, and a missed 10-pin were my only open frames.

Never had to adjust much on these conditions. I'd stand with my left foot on or to the right of center and just throw it up the 11-12 boards. No hook whatsoever. If I got a good release, it "might" flare a little at the end and come in at a better angle...but other than that I was playing straight shot all 6 games. Happy about the 537 series, but not happy that I didn't even manage ONE clean game of the 6.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.41 pins
    Strikes: 31% (but only 1 5-bagger, and 2 doubles, the rest single)
    Spares: 45% picked up

Single Pin spares: 50% (8/16)
    Most common single pin leaves: 5, 7, 9, and 10.
    Never left a single 1, 4, 6, or 8.

Multiple Pin spares: 42% (11/26)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2-4 (4 times)

Splits: 0% (0/5)

Average over 9 games: 159.00
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 170.50

Disappointing because I foresee Saturday's tournament being really a beating. Probably 392-537...and that just isn't gonna cut it if I'm gonna challenge other bowlers...even in a small charity tournament.

Still was hitting right of the pocket...but much different leaves than the past couple days. Today the 3 most common leaves were single 7-pin, single 10-pin, and the 1-2-4. Each of those were left 4 times. Was 0-4 on the single 10. : ( I saw a pro working with a guy at a clinic and the guy said "I keep leaving single 10 pins!" And the pro responded, "Well, get used to it. The better you become, the more of those you'll leave." So maybe it's a good thing. But I GOT TO get better at spare shooting. Usually it's my forte and I don't strike a lot. But lately, phew...stinky.

Will be glad to see wooden lanes again tomorrow night!!
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

For the tournament just go in with the belief you can and will do well, it makes a huge difference!

Friday League Night: wood lanes/low-moderate oil

565 Series: 137-237 (clean)-191

Got off to a tough start. Not "bad", but not good. Splits, chopping multiple pin leaves…just not a great start. Game 2 was my best game ever. New high score! 5-bagger…clean game. I had the highest score out of my team AND their team…and THEY had 4 bowlers with near 200 league averages. Game 3 was almost as good. Only open was a baby split in the 2nd or 3rd frame. Only about 5 strikes, spread out….but the spare shooting was solid.

Ended up with the highest series to date (personal best in the league). I'm sure I'll be in the running for high handicap game and maybe even high handicap series. The only downside…my team lost 3 out of 4 points. Last week I had high handicap series with a 701 and the second best handicap game with a 266. This week, high handicap game of 286 and a handicap series of 712.
    Last edited by Aslan; 01-25-2014 at 02:27 AM.

OCUSBC BVL Tournament: moderate oil synthetics

563 Series: 161-223-179

Well, my first tournament and I did okay. I bowled with 5 other bowlers, 2 men and 3 women. Each game I had either the best or 2nd best score. And after the 223, the OCUSBC rep congratulated me and seemed impressed.

Game 1 was a letdown. Started off with 7 clean frames including a nice pick-up of a 1-2-4-10. Then I missed a 3-10 baby split in the 8th, chopped a 10-pin off the 6-10, then opened in the 10th chopping the 6-10 off of the 3-6-10. My spare shooting was very good overall, but on those lanes (a little slicker than my usual wood lanes)…the Frantic hooked just a "shade" less leading to the chops.

Game 2 I was money. Spare, strike, strike, spare, strike, strike, spare through 7. But my problems in the 8th continued as I barely missed picking up the single 10-pin. Then 3 strikes in the 9th/10th…for a strong finish.

Game 3 was the opposite of the first two games. After a 1st frame strike, I left a 4-7-6 split then failed to convert a 5-7 split. From there on, I fought my way back with a 3-bagger, 2 spares, and a strike. In the final frame…I had a shot at knocking off the morning leader in our division. He had a 583 series and was in the lead. All I had to do was strike then spare and I'd move ahead of him into 1st place (barring anyone else having a better game in the PM. But…I opened. Left a 1-2-5 and somehow chopped the 1-2 and left the 5.

My squad/division was 150-170 averages. The two guys bowling with me were veterans. The one guy was the guy that had the lead in the AM…he was re-bowling to see if he could get a better series and to win bracket money. He also happened to be the 2011 champion of that division. I clobbered both of them.

I thought based on last year's winning score/series being a 498 that I'd need something in the 500s. Figured I could probably score at least a 537…so I was happy with the 563. My goal is always 525 and I exceeded that. And I learned a lot. I learned I probably should have bowled 4 times…and I learned what "brackets" are. Probably could have won some money if I'd known what that was all about.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.94 pins
    Strikes: 43% (2 triples, 2 doubles, 4 singles)
    Spares: 58% picked up

Single Pin spares: 85% (6/7)
    Most common single pin leaves: Single 10-pin.
    Never left a single 1, 2, 3, 4, or 8.

Multiple Pin spares: 40% (4/10)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 6-10 (twice)

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 9 games: 187.67
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 191.67

Strike % was much better as was single-pin spare shooting. But I couldn't run many strikes together and my mulit-pin spare shooting was not good.

Monday Practice: wood lanes, low-oil

483 Series: 157-138-188
    Started off rough. But by game 3 I was a 6-7-10 split away from a clean game.

531 Series: 215-147-169
    A 3-10 baby split away from a clean game to start, but struggled from then on out. I started moving right to get a better angle into the pocket, but the lanes were so dry I just couldn't keep it on the right side. I tried to speed it up…but playing the 5-board is just too close to the gutter for my liking.

465 Series: 132-148-185
    I tried to move inside but the Frantic couldn't make the turn back into the pocket. 2nd game of the series I switched balls and went to the Rhythm. I figured the better surface would pull it back into the pocket.

169-156
    My coworker finally showed up and we bowled a couple games. I got off to rough start in the first game with some bad spare shooting, but pulled it together with some strikes to salvage a 169. Same thing in the 2nd game…4-5 strikes but bad spare shooting.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.47 pins
    Strikes: 35% (1 4-bagger, 2 triples, 7 doubles, the rest singles)
    Spares: 47% picked up

Single Pin spares: 65% (19/29)
    Most common single pin leaves: 4-pin (8 times!).
    Never left a single 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 34% (15/43)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 2-4-5 (3x)

Splits: 10% (1/10)

Average over 11 games: 164.00
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 172.91

Left a LOT of single 4-pins!! That's unusual for me. I figure it was the result of moving inside with a ball not strong enough to make the turn.

Friday Pre-League Practice: 168-164

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.24 pins
    Strikes: 28% (6 singles)
    Spares: 66% picked up

Single Pin spares: 83% (5/6)
    Most common single pin leaves: Single 5-pin.
    Never left a single 1, 3, 6, 8, or 10.

Multiple Pin spares: 55% (5/9)

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 9 games: 166.00
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 171.50

Friday League: wood lanes/moderate oil

446 Series: 165-121-160

I watched the other few better players on their team and they were playing the outside line so I thought I might as well join them before they burned it all up. Normally I'd start about 8-board and move right to the 5-board as things dry up and I need a better angle…but tonight I started at the 5-board. Working the 5-board on the left lane and 4-board on the right lane. Had a clean game except for 2 splits.

Game 2 the right lane broke down and I just didn't feel comfortable playing the 3-board so I moved inside. After two frames…it was apparent the Frantic didn't have the ability to make it back to the pocket…so I switched to the Rhythm. Took me another 1-2 frames to get comfortable with the ball change. At the end of the day, I shot one of the worst scores I've shot in a month. Which, of course, mentally killed me.

Game 3 I ended up playing inside on both lanes. Game 3 went better than game 2, but it took a turkey in the 9th and 10th to salvage a 160.

On the plus side, 4 of the 5 games were in the 160s…so at least I was consistent. AND, I DID raise my lifetime average up a point. BUT…on the negative side, my team dropped all 4 points and my league average fell a point. After 5 straight weeks of increasing scores, I definitely hit a speed bump. My timing was late and my follow-through inconsistent. I'll have a lot to work on Monday. And I'll be moving back to targeting board-8 at the beginning of games. I just don't think I have the revs NOR the ball to play the inside.
    Last edited by Aslan; 02-04-2014 at 01:44 AM.

Monday Practice: Wood Lanes, low-moderate oil

478 Series: 155-159-164
    I started out trying a 3-step approach. I'm trying Joe Slosinski's DYDS method mainly concentrating on the head placement and ball placement. Was doing "okay" but after the 1st game decided to switch to a 5-step approach. I just wasn't comfortable with the 3-step approach. Game 3 I did quite well. Started off with 2 strikes, then threw the ball in the gutter twice, then had 3 more strikes followed by 4 spares. Missed a clean game by throwing a -/- in the 3rd!! The only problem I was having with the DYDS method is it sorta lines you up to throw the ball in the gutter…and you have to be very diligent about getting turned toward the target and getting squared up.

523 Series: 205-196-122
    Started out with a 4-9 split…then a clean game until the 10th when I missed a single 10-pin. Game 2 also went well. I was playing the outside…boards 2-6 and was pretty successful. In game 3 I moved inside. DISASTER. I tried standing at about board 24 and throwing over board 21 to the board 13 target. Just wasn't happening.

466 Series: 136-163-167
    I tried a ball change from the Frantic to the Rhythm hoping it would make it back to the pocket playing the inside…but nope. Couldn't strike and suddenly my spare shooting was abysmal. Usually the first game I switch balls I have to "adjust" my spare targeting. Decided to move back to targeting the 8-board in games 2 and 3. Game 3 was clean through 7…mostly spares, but the spare shooting was excellent. Then a 6-7-10 split in the 8th and a 6-7 split in the 10th to kinda put a damper on things.

455 Series: 159-125-171
    I was mentally done after 9 games. But I pressed on. Game 2 I got a couple splits and my spare shooting was off for some reason. In game 3 I struck in the 2nd, 4th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 10th. But unfortunately I couldn't pick up ONE damn spare.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.27 pins
    Strikes: 31% (1 4-bagger, 3 triples, 5 doubles, 18 singles)
    Spares: 50% picked up

Single Pin spares: 70% (21/30)
    Most common single pin leaves: 4, 6, and 10 (6x each).
    Never left a single 1 or 7.

Multiple Pin spares: 38% (20/52)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 6-10 (9x!)

Splits: 0% (0/12)

Average over 9 games: 160.17
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 167.33

I'm not sure if I was doing Joe's DYDS properly. But I liked the 5-step approach. Will try it again during leagues.

Wednesday Practice: synthetic lanes/ medium oil

488 Series: 135-202-151
    Had a hard time figuring out the lanes in game 1. Game 2 I was firing on all cylinders. Clean game through 8 frames before barely missing a single 6-pin. Then struck in the 10th. That close to a clean game. A split and a couple frames of bad spare shooting doomed me in game 3.

500 Series: 134-202-164
    Still couldn't get in a groove in game 4 and finally ended up moving outside to play the 5-board. Game 2 was a frame short of a clean game; missed a 4-7 in the 2nd frame. Other than a turkey in frames 6-8; all spares so spare shooting was decent.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.21 pins
    Strikes: 33% (2 turkeys, 1 double, the rest single)
    Spares: 55% picked up

Single Pin spares: 81% (13/16)
    Most common single pin leaves: 4, 9, and 10 (3x each).
    Never left a single 1, 2, or 3.

Multiple Pin spares: 40% (11/27)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 6-10 and full rack (4x each).

Splits: 0% (0/4)

Average over 6 games: 164.67
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 169.83

Was still trying the Joe Slowinski "drop your damn shoulder" technique with a 5-step approach. One of the challenges early on is you have to be very diligent about squaring up with the foul line as you release…otherwise, you tend to throw a few in he gutter. Pretty sad when 4 of your most common leaves are a full rack.

One of the things I worked on today was extending toward the target. Playing the 5-board can be dangerous and you need to be precise because as you throw out towards that 5 board and/or 6-board…the ball tends to travel over towards the 1-2 boards before getting a grip and arcing back. Had to "out bowl a bad ball reaction" and add a little speed to stay on the right side of the headpin. If I had a stronger ball #3, I may have made a move inside…but I knew on that slick of surface there was no way the Rhythm was making the turn so I just added a little speed and it seemed to work okay.
    Last edited by Aslan; 02-05-2014 at 10:33 PM.

Page 11 of 225 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast