Page 122 of 227 FirstFirst ... 2272112118119120121122123124125126132172222 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 2262

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 0

I am glad, you are seeing your coach Wednesday. Pro tip, write down all questions on a note card, and take it with you.
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksox1 View Post
    I am glad, you are seeing your coach Wednesday. Pro tip, write down all questions on a note card, and take it with you.
    You've seen how I write. How big a note card do you think I'll need??

Monday League: Older Brunswick synthetics.

548 Series: 213-181-154

I started out Game 1 with the Dark Encounter, but after a weak 10-pin on a perfect shot and then a flat 7-pin on the other lane...also on a decent shot...figured I'd try the Melee Jab. Normally I'd ball down to the Asylum...but that ball has been moved to the back of the line-up until I can figure out where the **** it fits into my arsenal. Only open was a 2-7 split in the 2nd frame.

Game 2...the Jab was just too strong. I'm TOTALLY confused at how to fit it into my progression system. It's a pearl, it's stronger than the Loaded Revolver...seemed like a good spot to put it (#4). But the problem is...Brunswicks are just SO much stronger...that I don't know if it should be the 3rd ball out of my bag or the 2nd...or the 1st??? So, after diving through the nose with the Jab 3 straight frames...I went back to the Dark Encounter and just made a little move left. Finished with 6 strikes; frames 5 through 10.

After 2 straight flat 10-pins in the 3rd and 4th...I just switched to the Loaded Revolver. But I just couldn't carry. 3 missed single-pins in Game 3 after 2 missed single-pins in Game 2...just not my night.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.06 pins
    Strikes: 45% (4 turkeys and 4 singles)
    Spares: 52% picked up

Single Pin spares: 50% (5/10)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (5x)
    Also left the 2-pin (2x), 3-pin, 6-pin, and 7-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 55% (5/9)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a

Splits: 20% (1/5)

Average over 3 games: 182.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 196.33.

What a joke.

First, the new guy and the young gal get in some kind of lover's quarrel. So she doesn't want him to bowl with us tonight...so he leaves all sad and depressed because he really likes to bowl with us. Then I gotta deal with her constantly taking off to the bad and outside to smoke...so half the night we're just standing around waiting for her to come back. I'm surprised the old ladies we were playing with didn't have a coronary.

Also awesome when in Game 3, two of those old ladies beat me scratch. That's nice.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 175; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

"I'm TOTALLY confused at how to fit it into my progression system."

Simple... get rid of this progression nonsense and look at bowling balls. One goes longer. One hooks earlier. This is not rocket science... it's just bowling!

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Also awesome when in Game 3, two of those old ladies beat me scratch. That's nice.
    Been there done that lol. I got my A$$ kicked my a 70 year old guy throwing a line that I have no idea how he could throw Sunday in my travel league.

As usual your making the whole progression thing more complicated than it has to be. I carry three ball Storm Virtual Gravity Nano Pearl strong shiny asymmetric, Brunswick Mastermind Einstein 3000 grit strong asymmetrical, and a Hammer Arson Low Flare polished weaker symmetrical balls with me.

The VG Pearl and the Mastermind are really pretty close in strength, The VG has more backend longer but won't handle as much oil as the Einstein these are my normal starting two balls unless the lanes are dry. If I start with the VG I can usually keep the same line and ball down to the Mastermind if I start leaving corners or move 2-1 right and throw the Arson. If I start with the Mastermind I can move 2-1 left and throw the VG or move 2-1 right (or stay where I am sometimes) and throw the Arson. If they are dry as I'm warming up I'll throw the Arson. It's not any more complicated than that.

The big thing is understanding the differences between the balls and knowing how much to adjust from ball to ball.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Ringer

I agree the progression system is not working for you. If a ball is working don't switch.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    "I'm TOTALLY confused at how to fit it into my progression system."

Simple... get rid of this progression nonsense and look at bowling balls. One goes longer. One hooks earlier. This is not rocket science... it's just bowling!
    I see your point; I do.

But again...there just isn't enough time in practice to see what the "ideal" ball is for that given center on those given lanes on that given night. All I can do is try a couple options...hope that my practice shots aren't too horrible to make any kind of good decisions.

So, I have to find a ball to "start" with and then "when do I switch?" What do I switch to? Why? Do I move laterally? Do I ball down? Do I ball up? IDK.

My old system I arranged the balls in a certain order...started in the middle...could ball up or down as needed. That didn't really work. Now I start with what hooks soonest and move down once a perfect shot (or very good shot) results in a flat 10 or flat 7 AFTER I made a move left. It's a better system, admittingly, but like any progression...it relies on the arsenal being properly assembled. Using different balls from different vendors and from different eras....it doesn't work as well.

The Melee Jab is a pearl. It SHOULD go longer than a hybrid. And I think it does. But it reacts a LOT once it starts to move. The Loaded Revolver has similar specs, but is older...and it's a much less of a reaction once it makes it move. The Dark Encounter and Lethal Revolver...similar covers, similar RGs. They 'should' react similar...but they don't The Le. Revolver is so strong I most nights can't even use it. The D. Encounter...much less reaction. The may hook at similar points on the lane...but not in the same amount.

And then there's the Asylum. It's a hybrid...should be in between the solids and pearls...but I just can't get that ball to work. I don't understand why. Most people have great success with that ball and with Rotogrip as a whole. But I cannot get that ball to make a strong move to the pocket...the only time it's really worked well is in that one no-tap tournament I did...because it's (asylum) great at knocking over 9 pins. Not so great at carrying that 10th pin though.

Gotta go...late for my lesson if theres too much traffic (crossing fingers).
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I see your point; I do.

But again...there just isn't enough time in practice to see what the "ideal" ball is for that given center on those given lanes on that given night. All I can do is try a couple options...hope that my practice shots aren't too horrible to make any kind of good decisions.

So, I have to find a ball to "start" with and then "when do I switch?" What do I switch to? Why? Do I move laterally? Do I ball down? Do I ball up? IDK.

My old system I arranged the balls in a certain order...started in the middle...could ball up or down as needed. That didn't really work. Now I start with what hooks soonest and move down once a perfect shot (or very good shot) results in a flat 10 or flat 7 AFTER I made a move left. It's a better system, admittingly, but like any progression...it relies on the arsenal being properly assembled. Using different balls from different vendors and from different eras....it doesn't work as well.

The Melee Jab is a pearl. It SHOULD go longer than a hybrid. And I think it does. But it reacts a LOT once it starts to move. The Loaded Revolver has similar specs, but is older...and it's a much less of a reaction once it makes it move. The Dark Encounter and Lethal Revolver...similar covers, similar RGs. They 'should' react similar...but they don't The Le. Revolver is so strong I most nights can't even use it. The D. Encounter...much less reaction. The may hook at similar points on the lane...but not in the same amount.

And then there's the Asylum. It's a hybrid...should be in between the solids and pearls...but I just can't get that ball to work. I don't understand why. Most people have great success with that ball and with Rotogrip as a whole. But I cannot get that ball to make a strong move to the pocket...the only time it's really worked well is in that one no-tap tournament I did...because it's (asylum) great at knocking over 9 pins. Not so great at carrying that 10th pin though.

Gotta go...late for my lesson if theres too much traffic (crossing fingers).
    Well from reading your posts here is what I would do:

1. Your starting balls should be either the Dark Encounter or the Jab throw those two during warm ups to decide which has the better roll that night
    2. Decide for yourself which you are more comfortable with ball changes or lateral adjustments and to what extent you will adjust latterly then change balls
    3. With this you can move in and ball up to the Lethal Revolver or keep approximately your current line and ball down to the Loaded Revolver

A few things to consider:

Adjusting with balls requires a cohesive lineup and being willing to adjust your surfaces to get your balls to work together. I'm not sure your there yet
    Quit changing balls because of a flat 10. Watch for a ball to go high, if your leaving 8's, or see the ball isn't taking out the 8 it's time to switch
    Spend some of that practice time of yours figuring out which works better for you moving in and balling up or balling down on a similar line also figure out your comfort zone how far can you adjust without it messing your game up.
    Most of all you've got to know how your balls work together how much stronger is the Lethal than Jab is 2-1 or 4-2 maybe 6-3? the Dark Encounter to the Revolver? You've got to know this to bowl effectively with an arsenal. Something I learned early on from Rob if you have an established line you need to be able to pick up any ball in your bag and (according to Rob throw a strike with the first roll) myself I don't count on a strike but I had better be able to put it in the pocket. I'm not sure your there yet.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Wednesday League: THS, some nice bounce on the outside and decent hold in the middle, easier shot/house

572 Series: 211-199-162
    Game 1 was good. Missed a single 7-pin in the 7th and opened on a 4-6-7-9 split in the 10th. But managed to string some strikes together...mostly lucky breaks (if I'm being honest). One spill on a through the nose shot and 2 brooklyns....nothing thats gonna make the paper.

Game 2 I was a chopped 3-10 baby split away from a clean game....but just couldn't carry. Can't blame the ball...I just wasn't making good shots.

Game 3 the wheels came off. It wasn't horrible...but two more missed single 7-pins...one of them in the 10th...can't expect big numbers if you can't pick up corner-pin spares. : (

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.88 pins
    Strikes: 40% (1 5-bagger, 2 doubles and 4 singles)
    Spares: 66% picked up

Single Pin spares: 62% (5/8)
    Most common single-pin leave: 7-pin (4x)
    Also left a 5-pin, 6-pin and a couple 10-pins.

Multiple Pin spares: 70% (7/10)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 1-2-4 (2x)

Splits: 0% (1/2)

Average over 3 games: 190.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 201.67.

I'm not ready to declare the slump is over, but it is encouraging that I had my best series in this house since 12/16/15.

The lesson (beforehand) was very helpful. We worked on physical things like getting lower and using more spine tilt. And I think I fixed my release problem that was leading to the elbow pain. And we addressed the arsenal progression issues. The Asylum has been retired. The coach watched me throw it and saw what I saw....which is a ball that is just trying to hook too soon...and then just kinda labors it's way down the lane and hits the pocket like a wet noodle. We also moved the Melee Jab to ball #4 and the Loaded Revolver to ball #3.

I think I gotta just keep my expectations in check. I remember when I rolled three 180 games...got a nice 540-550 series....and I was on cloud nine. Now if I roll a game under 225 I feel like garbage.

The lesson (beforehand) was very helpful. We worked on physical things like getting lower and using more spine tilt. And I think I fixed my release problem that was leading to the elbow pain.

The sentence above pleased me the most.

The sentence below, should be a major concern for a right hander.

but two more missed single 7-pins

Unsolicited advice Warning. Move 9 boards right on the approach, throw over your strike board at the arrows, convert the spare.
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksox1 View Post
    The lesson (beforehand) was very helpful. We worked on physical things like getting lower and using more spine tilt. And I think I fixed my release problem that was leading to the elbow pain.

The sentence above pleased me the most.

The sentence below, should be a major concern for a right hander.

but two more missed single 7-pins

Unsolicited advice Warning. Move 9 boards right on the approach, throw over your strike board at the arrows, convert the spare.
    Take your plastic spare ball, figure out where to stand (in practice) and stop trying to hook across the puddle in the middle of the lane on a house shot.

Page 122 of 227 FirstFirst ... 2272112118119120121122123124125126132172222 ... LastLast