Page 134 of 226 FirstFirst ... 3484124130131132133134135136137138144184 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 2253

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    The Banjo? Really? As if you aren't weird enough without trying. LOL.
    If I were a typical elderly bowler on this site...I'd be very upset at that comment.

But...I'm not...because it's true. I actually was thinking "accordion"....but I figured banjo would be slightly less 'weird'. And accordions are really expensive.

The thumb fit always changes with the weather...but "finger fit" is something that is more difficult to deal with. Very few bowlers use and virtually no pro shops offer VISE or Turbo inserts for fingers. A pro shop guy told me that VISE makes interchangeable finger inserts...but I've never seen them in use.

Saturday Weekly Color-Pin Tournament:

516 Series: 167-170-179

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.51 pins
    Strikes: 25% (2 doubles and 5 singles)
    Spares: 69% picked up

Single Pin spares: 80% (8/10)
    Most common single-pin leave: 7-pin (4x)
    Also left a single 2-pin, 3-pin, 5-pin, and 6-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 61% (8/13)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 6-10 (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/3).

Average over 3 games: 172.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 179.00.

Not much to be said. The numbers are more red than is fair...but it's based on 2 weeks ago when I had a pretty solid night. Hard to score when you're only striking 25%. First game I tried a couple different balls...neither worked well...so I went with the Loaded Revolver...but that wasn't really working either. And mentally I think I was trying too hard...bowling against two really good, young bowlers...just got in my head.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Monday League: Older Brunswick synthetics.

600 Series: 258 (clean)-196-146

Game 1 everything was working.

Game 2 wasn't as bad as the score indicates. Two missed single-pin spares and then a Big 4 split in the 10th.

Then things went South. Lost my strike line...lost my balance...still struggled with single-pin spares...and a couple untimely splits added to the horrid outcome.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.31 pins
    Strikes: 59% (1 7-bagger, 2 turkeys, 1 double, and 4 singles)
    Spares: 46% picked up

Single Pin spares: 50% (4/8)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 7-pin (3x)
    Also left a single 4-pin, 5-pin, 6-pin, and 10-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 40% (2/5)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 4-6-7 split (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 3 games: 200.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 215.33.

Pretty happy with the first game. Obviously a bit disappointed in the series. 3 missed single 7-pins...just couldn't seem to hit that pin. Game 3 I tried a new progression where I switched to a polished Lethal Revolver...but that didn't work very well so I switched to the Loaded Revolver for the final couple frames.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

There's that "progression" word again! Sometimes, as you move left, you need to ball up in order to get the ball back to the pocket, particularly when you have moved left of your comfort zone. Here's an exercise for you: try moving five boards left of where you think you should be playing, use the most aggressive ball you have with you, and target far down the lane (the reflections of the tops of the pins works well). Work on rolling the ball in a straight line toward that far target, making sure that you are not coming over the top to help it to hook.

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    There's that "progression" word again! Sometimes, as you move left, you need to ball up in order to get the ball back to the pocket, particularly when you have moved left of your comfort zone.
    And sometimes, you need to move right and get your strongest ball and hit a part of the lane right of where you have been. This exact thing happened to me this past weekend at our state tournament. Game 1 had trouble with ball hitting too light on head pin, moved myself right a few boards and ball was still not finishing. Went out to the car and pulled out my Nirvana and moved another 2-3 boards right with feet and target down lane and smashed pocket rest of the day.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    And sometimes, you need to move right and get your strongest ball and hit a part of the lane right of where you have been. This exact thing happened to me this past weekend at our state tournament. Game 1 had trouble with ball hitting too light on head pin, moved myself right a few boards and ball was still not finishing. Went out to the car and pulled out my Nirvana and moved another 2-3 boards right with feet and target down lane and smashed pocket rest of the day.
    You're right, but I am very wary of saying it for the simple reason that many players who are afraid to move left will jump on it and ignore the fact that in a great majority of cases, moving right is a really bad idea for right-handed bowlers.

Chats: 256

You're right, but I am very wary of saying it for the simple reason that many players who are afraid to move left will jump on it and ignore the fact that in a great majority of cases, moving right is a really bad idea for right-handed bowlers.
    True that it is not typical, but I always adjust to what the lane is telling me vs. a move left as is the rather typical move. As you well know, moving left isn't the cure all.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

There's that "progression" word again!
    What I meant in that statement was...

Lately, with a slightly higher rev rate and slower speed...I've been just starting with the Dark Encounter and balling down to the Loaded Revolver in Game 2 or 3...depending on how the lanes are breaking down. On a typical league night...that's plenty. I've been starting in the 11-14 area at the arrows...standing 18-22...usually finishing 13-16 at the arrows...standing 22-27.

Well, the problem I've been struggling with is RG. The Dark Encounter has a very low RG and the Loaded Revolver a quite RG. And the Lethal Revolver also has a quite high RG. So over the weekend...I took the polish off the Dark Encounter...just a quick little hand surface with a 2000 abralon pad...and I used a 1500 on the Lethal Revolver and then the polished (by hand) the Lethal Revolver.

My thought process was to re-align my arsenal according to RG...and use a little surface to help the Dark Encounter (weaker Columbia) while delaying the solid Brunswick cover of the Lethal Revolver. But my biggest trouble I've been having with my game is I really haven't mastered the ability to see when a ball is starting to encounter friction. And because a weak 7-pin or 10-pin can be the result of a line too far to the right OR a result of a ball that is just losing energy...it's not an exact science in terms of "Leave X, Move Y or Ball Down/Up".

So...I'm still not sure I like the idea of balling "down" to the Lethal Revolver...I'm not sure the polish job I did is going to be enough to counter the Brunswick solid cover. I used the Dark Encounter for two games and scored a 258 and 196...maybe I should have stuck with it...made some other moves or changes rather than try to change balls.

@Rob: My trouble with going to my most aggressive ball and using that inside line is I can't get the ball to come back. I don't really have a "strong" ball...I have a Lethal Revolver...but it doesn't seem to bounce off the friction...the Brunswick, solid cover seems to want to read the lanes earlier...and by the time it hits the pocket...it's out of energy. The Dark Encounter 'might' be able to make that turn....if I really get a LOT of hand into it...but with a Columbia cover and an assymetric core...my release mistakes get magnified...and with the inside line...I don't have a lot of miss room.

I miss that Melee Jab you gave me. That ball gave me a lot better look inside than any ball I've thrown. It had a pearl/polished cover that gave it a good deal of length and was really aggressive on the backend....sometimes erratic...but it was the only ball I've ever been able to really "play the breakpoint" with...and not have to worry that it would miss right of the pocket.

I've been considering replacing the Melee Jab with a Black Widow Red Legend Pearl...which I think would give me some length...but also give me the same snap I saw with the Melee Jab. On the other hand...maybe I need something really long and not as strong...like the Boost Cardinal Red Pearl...for drier conditions, shorter patterns, practice, etc...

@VDub: Usually over 3 games I don't ever get so far inside that I have to start getting 'drastic'. But I have employed the strategy you're suggesting in tournaments or longer practice sessions when I just run out of room left. But usually it's going back to 2nd/3rd arrow and throwing plastic or my weakest ball up the 5-board where there's been very little traffic. In order for me to ball "UP" and move right...I'd have to move back in the approach and add speed...which I'm trying not to do because it screws my timing up and get back into some bad habits with my footwork.

...moving right is a really bad idea for right-handed bowlers.
    If I hit a little light, moving right a board-ish (keeping my target the same to get to the pocket) is not a proper adjustment? I frequently move right to get the ball where I want it to end up...guess its back to the literature/theory to better understand.

Sorry for the high-jack.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.
    Roto Grip Critical ball give away winner (04JAN16-10JAN16)

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post

I've been considering replacing the Melee Jab with a Black Widow Red Legend Pearl...which I think would give me some length...but also give me the same snap I saw with the Melee Jab. On the other hand...maybe I need something really long and not as strong...like the Boost Cardinal Red Pearl...for drier conditions, shorter patterns, practice, etc...

The boost in your hands even with your new lower speed higher rev delivery isn't going to do much. I like the Red Legend Pearl also with your predilections towards clearance equipment the Guru mighty $99 or if you wanted something for less oil the Reaxx Gusto is seriously a backend monster $85. I'm a big fan of the Mastermind Braniac but your looking full price there. Just some ideas.

On balling down after the 258,196 I face that question myself a lot and usually end up second guessing my decision. I can usually move farther left but to do it I really have to have confidence in what I'm throwing to come back. I've been using my Vintage Danger Zone for that here lately it's a nice feeling to know you can't really fire a ball too far right.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Page 134 of 226 FirstFirst ... 3484124130131132133134135136137138144184 ... LastLast