Page 139 of 226 FirstFirst ... 3989129135136137138139140141142143149189 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,390 of 2252

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 32

Aslan from what your describing I doubt the pattern is much flatter it's actually longer which is what's causing you problems. When you have longer patterns balls that spin up faster or have more surface are generally the answer. Have you tried playing the Lethal up the 10-12 area?
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Aslan from what your describing I doubt the pattern is much flatter it's actually longer which is what's causing you problems. When you have longer patterns balls that spin up faster or have more surface are generally the answer. Have you tried playing the Lethal up the 10-12 area?
    Thats a possibility. It 'could' be that the AMF center and my Tuesday center simply have more volume in the middle, delaying the hook and roll motion...then, as the ball encounters friction, it has more energy stored up to make a more distinct move...which to the naked eye looks like a ball hitting a drier area

The only counter to that belief is that I'd expect to see a more angular backend...but not necessarily have to move right much. I'm finding in the Tuesday center...I have to make about a 3 board move right with my eyes and about 5 boards with my feet (also right). So if it's saving up a ton of energy and then releasing more of it at the breakpoint or when it experiences a lower volume oil area...why it is it forcing me 3 boards outside?

All I know is what used to work and what isn't working now. I used to be 160s-190s average throwing 2mph faster, between 5-10 boards (just outside the track). The downside, is that approach style let to me being a 150s-180s bowler at the house nearest me. I am now a 170s-190s bowler at the house nearest to me by losing 2mph and playing closer to 15 than outside 10....but as I try to play in my old Tuesday center...I'm a 150s-180s bowler there. UGHH!!

Oh well. On the bright side, if I know I'm gonna continue to play in both houses...I know that before drilling my next arsenal (1-2 months from now). I usually drill a new arsenal every September.

Older Brunswick synthetics: low-moderate oil

The team I subbed for last week on Wednesday needed me again. In practice I felt good so I decided to enter a few brackets and the sidepot.

603 Series: 207-170-226 (clean)

Got asked to sub again on Wednesday...and am still anxious to work on the stuff I learned in my lesson on Monday.

Game 1 I started off with 5 strikes in 6 frames...then the wheels came off. Picked up another 5-7 (3rd in two nights) in the 10th to save my 200+ game.

Game 2 only had 3 opens...but switching between the Lethal Revolver on the left lane and Loaded Revolver on the right lane...just couldn't get my strike line back. Fortunately, the other team pooed the bed and my team bowled out of their minds (besides me) and we took a second point...this made a grouchy old man on the other team very upset. I've met a LOT of old bowling curmudgeons in my day...and hope to become one someday...but WOW! This guy takes the cake. When I got a split in the 10th frame of the first game...he actually mumbled something like "serves ya right." And that wasn't "jokingly".

Game 3 I stayed with the Loaded Revolver to finish things out. I was still alive in one bracket and early on couldn't seem to strike...I think maybe the alcohol was kicking in...but I put a 4-bagger together to salvage a decent score and win my money back (from sidepots and brackets and sub-fee).

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.97 pins
    Strikes: 43% (2 4-baggers, 1 double, and 4 singles)
    Spares: 76% picked up

Single Pin spares: 88% (8/9)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (3x).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 62% (5/8)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: n/a

Splits: 33% (1/3)

Average over 3 games: 201.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 204.33.

I felt good. No thumb issues. I was dressed more casually...just a t-shirt and gym shorts...so I was comfortable. Probably could have used a weaker ball than the loaded revolver to carry even better. I was hitting pretty heavy...which is why I left a 9-pin and no 8-pins.

The other team wasn't very happy though. They had a grouchy guy on their team that looks to be about ready to give up bowling to find something else to aggravate him. At the end of the night, he made it a point to tell me, "Ya know....you couldn't have done this 10 years ago! There used to be rules that the subs had to be within a certain range of the person they are subbing for. This is bull ***t!"...he then left.

Now, was there ever a rule? Probably. Would it have affected me? Probably not. I came into that night averaging 185 and was subbing for a guy that averaged 165. I mean, in Game 2 I bowled 15 pins under my average...and out of 3 games...I only had the highest game once. Two of their better, older, lower average bowlers beat me scratch AND got more handicap.

And here's the REAL reason...I call BS. I sit in that bar at least twice a week...waiting to sub for anyone that wants me. Most nights, teams bowl with a vacancy, take a 10-point hit per game...and lose $5 from their prize fund. THAT team...never asked me to sub for them. If a guy didn't show, they'd be one of the last teams to ask for a sub. Yet, despite having plenty of opportunity to get a sub...these teams also love to whine when other teams actually use a sub against them. I could see a valid arguement if it's a competitive league and during a crucial run at the end of the season, some team brings in a sub every week to take 1st place. I get that. But I subbed for a team in 2nd to last place...last week, this week, and next week.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 32

First off nice set. Second the longer oil gives the ball less distance to hook over so you have to move right. The ball will hook more on a 40ft pattern than it will on a 45ft.

Older Brunswick synthetics: medium oil

522 Series: 183-178-161

Got to sub on Friday again. Was looking forward to it given my 600+ series Wednesday. I also finally used MWhite's ball spinner that he gave me (thanks again!) and both revolvers were looking like new (not counting various scratches and gouges).

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.58 pins
    Strikes: 39% (1 turkey, 1 double, and 8 singles)
    Spares: 65% picked up

Single Pin spares: 50% (3/6)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (4x).
    Also left a single 6-pin and 7-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 71% (10/14)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 1-2-4 and 6-10 (2x each)

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 174.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 185.67.

No need for a game-by-game breakdown...all 3 games were a couple open frames and a hodge podge of marks. The stats were generally better and more in line with what I'm capable of...but I couldn't run the strikes together and you just can't be successful with poor corner-pin spare shooting. Maybe I can work in some low-ball sometime this coming week.

I may play with the surface a little on the Lethal Revolver...maybe (now that I have the ball spinner) I'll try the Dark Encounter next week...it's been awhile since I used it on those lanes. I just think the polished Le. Revolver is going too long to start...but I know if I put much surface on it...it's gonna go left too soon. Maybe if instead use the lower RG Dark Encounter...with a polished finish...maybe that gives me a better look (1st ball out of the bag) and I can use the Le. Revolver with some surface and no polish on Tuesday nights.

But, helped the team I subbed for take all 4 points...and the opposing team asked me to sub for them next week...so I'll try to get them those 4 points back next Friday!!
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Tuesday Night League: Fairly new synthetics, tougher house pattern

The league voted that I could participate at sweeps despite ending up 3 games shy of 21 before Sweeps/Vegas. So, now...even a bad night like tonight can have the 'bright side' that it's going to help me win $$ in Vegas.

440 Series: 130-162-148

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.53 pins
    Strikes: 34% (1 double and 9 singles)
    Spares: 28% picked up

Single Pin spares: 50% (4/8)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (3x).
    Also left a single 3-pin, 6-pin, and 7-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 15% (2/13)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 6-10 and 5-6-10 split (2x each).

Splits: 0% (0/7)

Average over 3 games: 146.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 154.00.

Wow. My most abysmal outing in a long time and NOT what I needed going into a weekend where I'll be doing the ABT.

My main problem tonight was I was "playing" with the surfaces using my new ball spinner...and I think I overdid it a bit on the Lethal Revolver...and I tried to switch to the Dark Encounter...which I put a nice 1500-2000 abralon surface on...and that ball hooked SO early....that it entered the roll phase about 2/3 of the way down the lane. Still can't seem to figure out low RG equipment. So, we'll work on the surfaces today to get them ready for Wednesday and Friday at my regular house...and then I'll have to decide what I want to do with the Lethal Revolver. I think I'm gonna polish both balls...and put the Dark Encounter back in the #1 slot of the arsenal. That ball just hooks WAY too soon on THS. I have to talk about it with my coach at the next lesson this afternoon.

Other than that, spare shooting was rotten for the 2nd straight outing...I forgot I was going to get some spare shooting practice in pre-league...I'll have to remember for next time.

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    My main problem tonight was I was "playing" with the surfaces using my new ball spinner...and I think I overdid it a bit on the Lethal Revolver...and I tried to switch to the Dark Encounter...which I put a nice 1500-2000 abralon surface on.
    Well, was it 1500 or 2000? There is a difference in terms of reaction.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    Well, was it 1500 or 2000? There is a difference in terms of reaction.
    Unless you always use a fresh pad...you can get a 1500ish surface from a worn 1000 abralon pad. I don't think they even make a 1500 abralon pad. They make a 1500 SiaAir pad...but I've never seen 1500 abralon. So, I used a really worn 1000 pad.

The team I subbed for last week on Wednesday needed me again.

571 Series: 158-212-201

Had me lesson at 4:00PM in Fullerton...and these last couple lessons the coach is really trying to get me lower and working on a lot of physical stuff...both the last two lessons my body ended up sore afterwards. I was pretty tired, but already told a guy I'd sub for him...so I was locked in.

Game 1 I chopped a 1-2-4-8 washout, then 2 straight 5-7 splits. This is the second week in a row I've had this problem of leaving 5-7s. Frustrating. Then another open on a chopped bucket in the 7th. I didn't cause the team to lose (thanks to the other team bowling out of their minds)...but I certainly put them at risk.

Game 2 I did well, the only open was a 4-9 split in the 7th.

Game 3 I did really well...just missed a couple single-pins...so, I might try VDub's method of targeting the pins on Friday league.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.97 pins <exactly the same as last week>
    Strikes: 42% (2 turkeys, 3 doubles, and 3 singles)
    Spares: 61% picked up

Single Pin spares: 75% (6/8)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (5x).
    Also left a single 9-pin (2x) and a single 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 50% (5/10)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 4-7 (3x)

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 3 games: 190.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 198.33.

I felt good. No thumb issues.

I put a coat of polish on the Dark Encounter...over the top of that 1500ish sanding...and that worked better than when I just left the ball unpolished. I finished things up with the Lethal Revolver in Game 3 and it also was working much better with the coat of polish over the wet sanded surface I put on it. I think I'm gonna resurface the Lethal Revolver because that experimental sanding job I did on it didn't work well.

Well, at least I got my 21 games in. So I'll have at least one league worth of average to get booked. Granted, it's at 188 now...which doesn't do me too many favors...but at least it's a legitimate 188 versus the 190/192 averages at the ultra-easy AMF house.

Got asked to sub by the team I bowled against last week...which is kind've a compliment.

589 Series: 184-246-159

Game 1 I only had two opens...a 6-7-10 split in the 1st frame and a chopped 3-6 in the 7th frame...but that was enough to keep me out of the 200s.

Game 2 I opened AGAIN in the 1st frame with a 6-7-10 split! Then I rattled off an 8-bagger before opening in the 10th on a single 10-pin. But, 8 strikes in a row certainly turned some heads on the nearby lanes.

Game 3 I struck 3 out of 5 times...the other lane was a poo-parade. A 4-6 split in the opening frame (3rd leadoff split) didn't help...but missing a 4-7in the 5th and a 6-10 in the 8th were what did me in.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.72 pins
    Strikes: 50% (1 8-bagger, 2 doubles, and 4 singles)
    Spares: 50% picked up

Single Pin spares: 66% (2/3)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (2x).
    Also left a single 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 45% (5/11)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 6-7-10 split (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 3 games: 196.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 200.33.

It was a long shot that I roll my first 700-series or even best my 689...I mean, the 184 to start kinda put the nail in those coffins. But I was really, really ON...and that 246 was looking like almost a lock to be a 269+ game...but that evil little 10-pin. Ugh!!

Exclamation ABT Tournament

ABT Tournament:
    Older Brunswick synthetics: heavy oil

This weekend the ABT tournament was free entry for members so since I paid for a membership, I figured I'd take advantage...even if it was in Southern California's hernia known as Rancho Cucamonga.

674 Series: 194-256 (clean)-224

Game 1 was spare shooting...should have been a 214. At this point I figured I wasn't "out of it", but I needed a couple really strong games. Starting in the 9th frame I X, X, X, 9 and was starting to figure out the pattern. I was 6 and 6 right of my usual starting place, with my strongest ball, and was moving my target closer vertically....pretty much every trick in the book to gave that ball time to hook despite what appeared to be a fairly long pattern. I also had trouble with sticking (shoes) a bit...which doesn't surprise me given it was at a Brunswick Zone Kiddie Birthday Palooza center.

Game 2 was strong...ties for 5th on my top 5 scores ever. Clean...mostly solid strikes. Despite the low RG of the Dark Encounter...that pattern was not allowing for much movement. Some people seemed to have some idea of the pattern ahead of time because the veteran guys looked like they had some sanded equipment. I had just de-oiled and used the MWhite ball spinner to give it a once over with the 2000 abralon pad, then polish. I thought about leaving it sanded...not polishing it...but I didn't think the pattern would be much different than a THS. So, my line was really tight...I had to lay it down about midway between the dots and arrows...within 2 boards each direction...without muscling...and it seemed to go straight down and then make a slight move into the pocket...almost a straight ball watching it.

I was pretty pumped up after the game, because I struck out in the 10th...which I've not been doing much lately...and everything felt good.

Going into Game 3, I somehow added things wrong in my head...and thought if I got a 200+ game, I would have my first 700-series. I think I counted the 50 pins of handicap so I thought I needed a 200 game for 700 when I actually needed another 250+ game. The first 2 frames, I missed back-to-back corner-pin spares, then a double and a couple spares and a 6-bagger to strike out for (what I thought was) a 724...but it turned out to be a 674...my 4th highest series.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.47 pins
    Strikes: 63% (1 6-bagger, 1 5-bagger, 2 turkeys, 2 doubles and 2 singles)
    Spares: 66% picked up

Single Pin spares: 50% (4/8)
    Most common single-pin leave: 6-pin and 10-pin (2x each).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 2-pin, 3-pin, nor 4-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 100% (4/4)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a

Splits: n/a

Average over 3 games: 224.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 239.00.

I decided to stay and bowl the final squad but resisted the urge to take my new found game and get in brackets and sidepots. I asked around and most tournaments the guys said the cut line was around +120...and that may +149 would 'probably' guarantee me a spot in the finals tomorrow. So, it was free, I figured the only thing bad that could happen is suddenly bowling terrible or injuring myself....TO BE CONTINUED....

ABT Tournament: Squad 2
    Older Brunswick synthetics: medium-heavy oil

474 Series: 170-130-157

Game 1 I was doing fine...just trying to figure out how these lanes were playing...made my spares, just not much carry and bad shots. I switched to the Lethal Revolver in the 10th frame. Figured I could still have a good series...just had to get back in that groove.

Game 2 the physical game and mental game were under assault. I was sweating...a LOT. This bowling alley was in a parking lot, in the middle of dust and we're still stuck in this stupid heat wave. My thumb was starting to stick. Finally I got it figured out in the strike ball...then it was happening in the spare ball...then the VISE insert was too big and I dropped the ball...just horrible. And 5 beautiful, pocket hits that left either a 7-pin or a 10-pin.

Game 3 I switched to the Loaded Revolver, but at that point I was already mentally out in the parking lot...wasn't quite as bad as the score indicates...but a couple splits and a couple chopped spares...and there it is.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.03 pins
    Strikes: 25% (2 doubles and 4 singles)
    Spares: 50% picked up

Single Pin spares: 66% (4/6)
    Most common single-pin leave: 7-pin (3x).
    Also left a single 10-pin (2x) and a single 2-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 43% (7/16)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2-4 (3x)

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 152.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 158.33.

Well...at least I didn't get injured. My confidence is now shot...but at least I made the cut. I finished ahead of a Under 20 State Youth Champion and a pro staffer...and I was probably one of at most a handful of bowlers there that didn't have at least one sanctioned 300-game. I felt out of place given most of these guys had their names on the back of their jerseys.

So...if I can get up and traffic isn't terrible...I'll bowl a few games to get the kinks out...see what the pattern looks like...then my first ever "Finals" in a tournament. I finished 9th among 18.

Page 139 of 226 FirstFirst ... 3989129135136137138139140141142143149189 ... LastLast