Page 145 of 226 FirstFirst ... 4595135141142143144145146147148149155195 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 2251

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Very true me and you have very different styles and ways of attacking the lanes I think if we blended our strengths we would be a heck of a bowler
    ..and...a very, very active user of bowlingboards.com...

Older Brunswick synthetics: low-moderate oil

605 Series: 224-183-198

Spare shooting trouble early, but the Reax Pearl was striking like a maniac; finished 8 of my last 9 shots with strikes.

Learned my lesson from last week and kept using the Reax Pearl for most of Game 2, but a weak strike in Frame 6 and a flat 10 in frame 7 caused me to break out the Innovate. But, the missed 10-pin in the 7th and barely chopped baby split in the 8th ruined my bid for clean game #100.

Started out with the front 4...and the ball movement was so strong that one of the opponents asked what ball it was and is probably going to ask the local pro shop if he could buy one (good luck...they stopped making this ball 2-3 years ago...but I figured I'd keep that to myself). But, definitely impressed with the ball movement with the Innovate. The assymetry wasn't as forgiving...and I had to make good shots...but if I threw a relaxed, good shot...and came within two boards of my target on either side...the Innovate was responding. In the 6th frame, after coming in light and leaving the 2-4-5...I decided to switch to the Defiant Edge...but didn't have immediate success...jury still out on Rotogrip...

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.94 pins
    Strikes: 54% (1 7-bagger, 1 4-bagger, 1 double, and 5 singles)
    Spares: 57% picked up

Single Pin spares: 33% (1/3)
    All 10-pins.

Multiple Pin spares: 63% (7/11)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 3-6 and 6-9-10 (2x each)

Splits: 33% (1/3)

Average over 3 games: 201.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 209.00.

Glad to help out the team I subbed for versus last week when I couldn't do much to help at all.

The 16lb balls are powering through the pins...and my shoulder isn't as sore this week as it was after the initial switch back to 16 from 15.

Downside: Bye bye 172 establishing average...hello 186 establishing average...
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    All of your responses, while mostly, technically correct...are not realistic to average bowlers. See below:

Wrong. For MOST centers not counting Vegas where there is a massively high user volume on a regular basis...obut MOST centers..... Most of your competition on league night is (or should be) throwing very basic shots up the track. Some are women throwing plastic balls up the middle, maybe a lefty, a couple elderly guys with old equipment up the track...there's no 'strategy' to avoid them messing up your shot. League bowlers aren't good enough to intentionally "mess with your shot" nor ).[/QUOTE]

I really don't know if it is the particular house you throw in or just the leagues you choose to bowl in but do all of the bowlers in So. Cal. suck? from what I'm reading from your posts I'll likely find better bowlers in my youth leagues. I do gravitate towards higher end leagues I don't bowl on family fun night. I do not believe there is a single bowler throwing plastic or house balls on any of my leagues currently. The lowest average on any of the three leagues is one of my teammates on Saturday's and she averages 145 because of a disability she's the lowest average of any of my leagues by almost 20 pins.

PBA bowlers don't necessarily use their balls in a particular order
    Yes, they do

The key word there is "necessarily"...which allows you to then say all the rest of that stuff and still be "technically" correct....while also being dead wrong. Absolutely ZERO professional bowlers...show up with 8 random bowling balls drilled to fit their hand and rely on their minimum wage earning ball reps to just "pick one" based on the ball rep's opinion(s). Ball reps make recommendations, they watch how the competitors are bowling, they can scout the lanes before the pro moves to that pair, etc... But if they recommend a ball change...thats always a "discussion"...not an "instruction".
    I never said that PBA bowlers don't know what their balls do or are not capable of watching what their balls do. I said they don't have a systematic progression in place that they automatically change their balls with. You pretty much answered the question yourself. "Ball reps make recommendations, they watch how the competitors are bowling, they can scout the lanes before the pro moves to that pair, etc... But if they recommend a ball change...thats always a "discussion"...not an "instruction" to quote you. Why does their need to be a discussion or instruction at all if you already have an order your going to use the balls in? If they have a systematic progression if they are using ball "x" shouldn't they just automatically grab ball "y"? The reason is because one they have more than 3 balls and they do know how each one rolls but there but it is not a systematic progression it's a discussion to determine which of their other balls best fills the need.

Again...as I stated above...your concept in THEORY works great....but in REALITY...having 3 distinct lines that you can play and 3 distinct speeds and 3 distinct release variations....all of these are ADVANCED concepts that most pros understand and utilize frequently. PROS. There is only ONE person on this site...that I could see having 3 lines and 3 speeds....and maybe two releases...and thats VDub. Everyone that screams "foul!"...before screaming and whining...write down your:
    As usual you are over complicating things I never said one single word about changing speed or release. It's not necessary to change all of those to change target lines that's why we have different balls. With the proper balls you can easily move lines do you honestly line up and stay in the exact same spot to throw your entire arsenal? I can stand anywhere between 25 and 45 and target anywhere from 8-20 without making changes to my speed and release but if I need to change those it's not the drastic thing you make it out to be. If I want to change my speed I can I simply lower the ball and slow my steps I don't need an entirely different approach. If I want to change my release I simply adjust my pinky finger right or left it's not rocket science.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

You're talking about moving a 6:6 inside with a stronger ball to stay left of two league bowlers? You're going to play a line/style that you KNOW...is your "B-Game"....and just let them play their "A-Games"?? WHY?? OWN THAT LINE!! MAKE THEM MOVE. It's YOUR line too!!
    This is part of knowing your personal game you may be able to win that battle but I know my game. The person that wins this fight is the player with higher speed vary rarely is that me the line will wear out for me much sooner than it will for them. I'm much better with my B game than I am at trying to throw 16 mph.

The ONLY thing that happens when you get a rare night where 3-4 bowlers are on the same line....with newer, reactive equipment...is the lanes transition FASTER (not more). I LOVE when this happens!! Because I know...KNOW...that while they may tie me or even beat me in physical ability...once the lanes start to transition...and I follow my progression and know to move and what to look for to move...I'll be a half step ahead of them ALL NIGHT. They will throw the same shots over and over and get split after split..... But...to give perspective (which is lacking in your response)...this scenario happens to me, maybe ONCE a league season. This isn't a sport shot league or a travel league or an ABT tournament. MOST league bowlers are horrible bowlers and are just there to have fun. Trying to "outsmart" them by playing my "B Game" is likely just gonna make me bowl worse.
    Actually with more people on the same line the lanes transition faster and more unless your in So. Cal. where apparently know one knows how to bowl. The reason they transition more is because the other bowlers at least in my leagues aren't idiots who are going to stand there all day throwing the same ball down the same line for split after split after split. They are going to adjust left like any other person with any sense and start braking that line down too. Which will happen all night long. Honestly this doesn't happen to me every night as I tend to play farther left then a lot of other bowlers to start but if I played out in the dirt where you do it would be an every night occurrence. I've told you this before you need to find leagues that are more along your skill level. I do occasionally bowl family trios with my daughters just so they get the opportunity to bowl more and see what your describing but it's not on my Friday night, Wednesday night or travel league.

Great! Then you can clear this up!

- "...do you take a certain set of bowling balls with you....or do you just show up and they give you whatever they have in the truck?"
    Actually I have discussed this with the PWBA bowler and the Senior PBA bowler who is my coach. The PWBA usually travels with 8 and doesn't prefer to have additional balls drilled on site as she says they usually cant get the exact feel she likes often enough but will have additional balls drilled if she feels she has to have it. The Senior PBA bowler carries ten and doesn't ever really feel the need to have anything drilled onsite.

- "...and instead of 2 hours of practice...you get 10 minutes...would you start with your ball that hooks the soonest and see if it stays right of the headpin, then throw it and see if it hits right AND carries, possibly ball DOWN to an option that goes longer if said first ball is losing energy? OR...do you just have some hodge-podge gut instinct sort of thing where ya kinda know what each ball does?"
    I've asked about this from both of the and it depends on one big factor the pattern they are bowling on. With their current line ups on medium patterns she generally starts off with the Melee Hook her medium ball and adjusts earlier/later for carry and stronger/weaker for where she wants to play on the lanes. On longer/heavier patterns she prefers to start with the Ultimate Nirvana currently and adjust similarly. She tends to have a lot of speed and power for a female probably in the top 2 to 3 on the WPBA tour in revs and speed. My coach is a higher ball speed lower rev more of a Norm Duke style bowler he tends to prefer stronger equipment plays way farther right even though he carries more balls than the WPBA bowler he tends to use less of them preferring to alter his delivery, speed, aiming point, and surface to using different balls at the start. Most patterns he starts with his Nirvana or Ultimate Nirvana. Lighter Medium he will start with a polished Forterra Exile. Either of them are capable of playing pretty much anywhere they need to and adjust for carry more than anything.

- "...if you're striking and carrying....at what point do you move, switch balls, or go to entire different line. More precisely, if you start out with the front 7...then notice your opponent is now bowling on your line...would you conisder grabbing your strongest ball and bowling 2-handed? Or maybe you throw em a curveball and start throwing urethane on top of that line...settle for 5-6 opens...just to push oil all over their line?"
    I haven't ever asked this question this way but I can tell you either of them will stick with what works until they see something in the roll of the ball or exit point of the ball to move, change balls, or make other adjustments. Neither are going to bowl 2 handed, or switch to urethane as neither like it but if they did they wouldn't throw 5-6 opens doing it because they would know what adjustments to make to throw it in the pocket the reason they wouldn't is giving up carry. As far as moving oil I've never heard her talk about it and with her power game she doesn't have to. My coach will throw a 500 surfaced ball to the right of his line in practice to give him something to bump off of especially on heavier patterns. I will tell you this either of them if they see a player using a different break point that's carrying and their not will switch in heart beat.
    In professional bowling your often changing lanes and the ability to change balls and lines and know where your going after seeing a ball rolled is paramount. You have to know exactly where to move with what

- "...and lastly, concerning all the previous questions...how good would I have to be...where focusing my efforts on having 2-3 distinct lines and employing strategies to mess with my opponents line(s) is the best use of my time?"
    I'm not sure where this came from about screwing up other people's lines maybe you read something between the lines that wasn't there. I have never suggested doing that and I personally wouldn't although I don't have a problem with it. What I suggest was knowing where your competition is playing and being aware of where their lines are so that you don't adjust into and area they've previously burnt up.

Adjusting to the extremes you were talking about no that's not worth your time. Learning where each ball needs to be played on the lane in relationship to where your throwing your other balls? An arsenal is worthless without it. I can get any ball out of my bag at anytime on THS and put the first ball in the pocket with it unless I screw the shot up. I know if I've got my Fanatic out I can move 2-1 left and use the Danger Zone or 4-2 left and use the Mastermind I can move 2-2 right and throw the Rhino at any time. I may have to fine tune the line a board to fine tune the shot but it's going to hit the 1-3 pretty well. I know I can switch to less aggressive longer ball with more backend and just move two boards left with my feet if I want to play farther right to left or if I've been swinging it I can move a couple of boards right with my feet playing a flatter trajectory with a stronger ball and usually put it in there.

My issue right now is learning when to make each of the moves or ball changes to carry better and at the moment the best I can tell you it's as much as gut feeling and knowing how your equipment works as anything else. I have figured out there is a limit to how far left I can move playing a right to left line and still carry with my earlier equipment there is a limit to how straight a line I can play with my longer equipment. Unfortunately there is a line with my ball speed unless the head are flooded how far left I can get and still get it far enough right to work with my lower ball speed even less aggressive longer balls hook to early. One of these days I'm going to figure out how to get enough ball speed to play those lines.

Current arsenal

I really don't know if it is the particular house you throw in or just the leagues you choose to bowl in but do all of the bowlers in So. Cal. suck?
    Thats an interesting question. I think, if California took it's best 20 bowlers and challenged West Virginia's top 20...California would come out on top and it wouldn't even be close. THAT BEING SAID...I think you're more likely to find a higher concentration of skilled league bowlers at a non-California State...because there are less centers...so the better bowlers are spread out more.

When I was in that Sport Shot league with MWhite...there were only about 30 bowlers...95% were very skilled...but thats not a fair representation because of that league's location (Norco)and start time (8:00AM). If it were at 4:00PM on a Sunday at a center in Northern Orange County or Southern LA County...it would be able to fill a house and probably still have a waiting list. There are some travel leagues I'd like to join...but I'm not that level yet. Same thing with high $$$ leagues...I'll do the ABT if it's local or free entry...but I can't compete with Southern California's top bowlers that enter the bigger money leagues.

And thats the other thing. If I took all the players from the travel, youth, and big $$$ leagues...paired em against the travel, youth, and big $$$ leagues in the entire State of West Virginia...Southern California would have more and better bowlers. That makes someone like me....a 180s average bowler...not quite "ready" for that level.

Now, if I move to the Des Moines area as planned...then yeah, look for some of the more serious leagues, travel leagues, sport shot leagues etc... They will be more scarce than Southern California...but I won't have to beat out as many semi-pro bowlers just to get a spot.

And there's another variable, to answer your question, which is the proximity to Vegas. Nobody East of the Mississippi river can relate to bowling leagues in the Western States....because while a center East of the Mississippi may have a "Vegas League"....they are far fewer and less popular leagues....because it's pricey to fly to Las Vegas. While a league can get a good deal on a block of rooms...airfare is usually covered by the bowlers. A husband and wife would need at LEAST $800 to make that trip above and beyond what the league pays for.

In Southern California, only 4-5 hours from Vegas...nearly EVERY big, established league sweeps in Vegas. The only big league I've seen that didn't sweep in Vegas was a league that swept in Laughlin, NV instead. So, many of the bowlers in these leagues aren't "good"...they just like to bowl for recreation and have an excuse to go to Vegas twice a year.

Now, could I join smaller, non-sweeping leagues? Well, the better leagues during the day are either high average leagues where you essentially would have to get "selected" to join their team...usually sponsored by a pro shop or something like that. OR...I'd need to be about 13 years older so I could bowl with the rest of the old men.

I've looked into all these options as part of my goals for my bowling and what I would need to be competitive in some of the higher league/tourney options in this area would be:

- OC Scratch Trios League: 202 average
    - Try the West Coast Bowling Tournaments: 209 average
    - ABT and abta Regular Tournament Participant: 216 average
    - Brunswick ($$$) League: 223 average

I do not believe there is a single bowler throwing plastic or house balls on any of my leagues currently. The lowest average on any of the three leagues is one of my teammates on Saturday's and she averages 145 because of a disability she's the lowest average of any of my leagues by almost 20 pins.
    Holy Christ. Either West Virginia has tilted lanes like Missouri (Iceman)...or people just give up bowling if they can't average 140 or something. Thats astounding! How big are these leagues!??

The smallest league I bowl in has 29 teams. I counted 29 bowlers (1 per team average) that had a < 140 average. Of matter of fact, I'm supposed to sub for a team tonight where not ONE of the bowlers averages over 140. God forbid I catch fire...and/or am bowling against the team with that grouchy old dude on it...last time he got pissed when I subbed and trounced his team. He kept going on about some rule that used to exist that the sub had to be within 15 pins average of the person he/she was subbing for, etc..., etc...., etc...essentially a rule from decades ago that the league either got rid of or just never enforces...plus I WAS within 15 points of average of the person I was subbing for...so, there's that.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Thats an interesting question. I think, if California took it's best 20 bowlers and challenged West Virginia's top 20...California would come out on top and it wouldn't even be close. THAT BEING SAID...I think you're more likely to find a higher concentration of skilled league bowlers at a non-California State...because there are less centers...so the better bowlers are spread out more.
    This most likely is true. We have some guys that could hold their own but without a doubt you've got way more to chose from. There are 9 centers within about 80 miles of me but we don't have your traffic so I can get to the farthest ones in an hour. I know 75% of the better bowlers in the southern part of the state by first name. centers are smaller here too.

When I was in that Sport Shot league with MWhite...there were only about 30 bowlers...95% were very skilled...but thats not a fair representation because of that league's location (Norco)and start time (8:00AM). If it were at 4:00PM on a Sunday at a center in Northern Orange County or Southern LA County...it would be able to fill a house and probably still have a waiting list. There are some travel leagues I'd like to join...but I'm not that level yet. Same thing with high $$$ leagues...I'll do the ABT if it's local or free entry...but I can't compete with Southern California's top bowlers that enter the bigger money leagues.

And thats the other thing. If I took all the players from the travel, youth, and big $$$ leagues...paired em against the travel, youth, and big $$$ leagues in the entire State of West Virginia...Southern California would have more and better bowlers. That makes someone like me....a 180s average bowler...not quite "ready" for that level.
    I don't doubt this much you have a much larger population. Myself I'm not the worst by far in any of the big money or travel leagues here but I'm more towards the bottom 25% if I'm honest with myself but I feel it's hard to improve if your competition is a beer swigging baboon that doesn't even understand simple lanes adjustments.

And there's another variable, to answer your question, which is the proximity to Vegas. Nobody East of the Mississippi river can relate to bowling leagues in the Western States....because while a center East of the Mississippi may have a "Vegas League"....they are far fewer and less popular leagues....because it's pricey to fly to Las Vegas. While a league can get a good deal on a block of rooms...airfare is usually covered by the bowlers. A husband and wife would need at LEAST $800 to make that trip above and beyond what the league pays for.

In Southern California, only 4-5 hours from Vegas...nearly EVERY big, established league sweeps in Vegas. The only big league I've seen that didn't sweep in Vegas was a league that swept in Laughlin, NV instead. So, many of the bowlers in these leagues aren't "good"...they just like to bowl for recreation and have an excuse to go to Vegas twice a year.
    This could be it. There are no sweeper leagues and I had not even heard of the concept until I joined on here. I guess that really could draw in some bowlers who otherwise wouldn't bowl. You don't see much recreational league bowling here not saying it doesn't exists. Some guys here do drink too much but most of them are in the 160-180 class who at least know the basics, sometimes you'll have a guy bring his wife or girlfriend in on a team but usually they pick it up quick or they don't last long.

Now, could I join smaller, non-sweeping leagues? Well, the better leagues during the day are either high average leagues where you essentially would have to get "selected" to join their team...usually sponsored by a pro shop or something like that. OR...I'd need to be about 13 years older so I could bowl with the rest of the old men.

I've looked into all these options as part of my goals for my bowling and what I would need to be competitive in some of the higher league/tourney options in this area would be:

- OC Scratch Trios League: 202 average
    - Try the West Coast Bowling Tournaments: 209 average
    - ABT and abta Regular Tournament Participant: 216 average
    - Brunswick ($$$) League: 223 average
    Wow on the Brunswick league average it's hard to average much over the upper 220's here. The centers are older heck half or so of them are still wood. The lane machines are older and we still have some old school proprietors that believe there should at least be an element of skill to the game. You don't see many averaging north of 230 (especially by the end of the season) and you don't find many below 160 in most leagues.

Holy Christ. Either West Virginia has tilted lanes like Missouri (Iceman)...or people just give up bowling if they can't average 140 or something. Thats astounding! How big are these leagues!??

The smallest league I bowl in has 29 teams. I counted 29 bowlers (1 per team average) that had a < 140 average. Of matter of fact, I'm supposed to sub for a team tonight where not ONE of the bowlers averages over 140. God forbid I catch fire...and/or am bowling against the team with that grouchy old dude on it...last time he got pissed when I subbed and trounced his team. He kept going on about some rule that used to exist that the sub had to be within 15 pins average of the person he/she was subbing for, etc..., etc...., etc...essentially a rule from decades ago that the league either got rid of or just never enforces...plus I WAS within 15 points of average of the person I was subbing for...so, there's that.
    Our houses and leagues are smaller my largest league has 31 teams my smallest 14. Houses sizes range a bit I think there are still some 8 lane houses around here but I've never bowled at one. I have bowled at a couple that are 12, The houses I bowl my leagues at are 28 to 36 lane houses. Our bowlers mainly come from 2 places older existing bowlers and our junior leagues. So most of them already know how to bowl there are a few that start as open bowlers and get hooked but most of them get somewhat obsessed with the game and are pretty good by the time they start to bowl leagues. I don't think I've ever seen an open bowler just join a league. So usually if we have a real low average person they are either someone's spouse or just older than dirt. We do have one guy on Saturday night that averages about 115 but he's 94 and says he won't quit until he dies or averages below his age lol.

I think maybe the biggest difference here maybe the Sweeps you guys do. I could see where that would draw in people who here would be open bowlers in to a league. Would be a good idea but here in a comparable distance that would put you into sweeping in Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, or Lexington and who really wants to go there.

Current arsenal

Playing catch-up a bit...been busy bowling and doing other stuff....haven't been as diligent about updating.

Friday League Night (subbing)

485 Series: 152-184-149

Game 1, same ole problem. Miss right and leave weak 1-2-8s and 1-2-4s...then make an adjustment, get more hand in the ball, now I'm going through the nose...and got some wonderful 4-6-7 and 4-6-7-9-10 splits.

Game 2 I switched to the Innovate, was actually doing quite well...so much so that one guy was quite curious about the Innovate...said he was in the market for a new ball and liked how that one moved. Didn't have the heart to tell him the ball was released 3 years ago so he's out of luck. Shoulda been a better score...but I struck 5 times...4 times on one side...just couldn't figure the other lane out. Missed a 10-pin in the 8th then got a 4-7-10 split in the 9th...and that was that.

The Innovate was doing well...so I stayed with it in Game 3...but I never ended up finding an answer to the lane I was struggling on...missed a 7-pin, chopped a 2-4-5, had a 4-6 split, and couldn't convert a baby split. Too many opens, not enough strikes...

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.45 pins
    Strikes: 30% (2 doubles, and 6 singles)
    Spares: 50% picked up

Single Pin spares: 71% (5/7)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (3x).
    Also left a single 4-pin, 6-pin, and 7-pin (2x).

Multiple Pin spares: 40% (6/15)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 2-4-5 (4x)

Splits: 16% (1/6)

Average over 3 games: 161.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 168.67.

Failed as a sub...hurt the team I bowled with. Personal record (I think)...I don't recall ever getting 6 splits in a series.

My worst series since early August prompted me to go back Saturday night for the color-pin tournament...try and work some of these kinks out...

Saturday Weekly Color-Pin Tournament:

536 Series: 179-175-182

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.58 pins
    Strikes: 39% (1 turkey, 1 double, and 8 singles)
    Spares: 63% picked up

Single Pin spares: 42% (3/7)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (5x)
    Also left a 3-pin and 4-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 75% (9/12)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 2-4-5 (3x)

Splits: 0% (0/1).

Average over 3 games: 178.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 192.33.

Something was just 'slightly' off. I was actually bowling very consistent...hitting the pocket well...but was just a 'shade' something... I switched from the Reax Pearl to the Innovate midway through Game 1...but just couldn't run any strikes together. And the single-pin spare shooting was abysmal...absolutely awful. One for 5 on 10-pins...that's just unacceptable.

This was on Saturday and I had a lesson Monday...mainly working on body position. I have a tendency to "pop up" as I release...which leads to a less powerful leverage position for my hand (on top of the ball versus under/behind the ball). I've been trying to get rid of that (what I call) "WRW Bounce" because I blame WR for teaching me that bad habit.

The next part of this "work"...is I have to have PROPER spine tilt. That means, not just getting to the line and bending over. Thats BAD forward spine tilt and you lose your balance and have no leverage in your legs. I need to improve GOOD spine tilt. And, surprisingly to me, once we worked on proper spine tilt...the 10-pin started to be easier to hit as did the 7-pin. Actually picked both of the off for a 1 1 frame. And we talked some "sports psychology"...some visual tricks to keep me from "being me" and missing one single-pin...then spiraling into a pit of darkness.

More later...better get in the shower if I wanna make it over in time to sub at 6PM.

Tuesday Night League: Fairly new synthetics, low-moderate oil THS

519 Series: 142-183-194

Game 1 was a disaster. The lanes were insanely dry.

Game 2 was also heading down the toilet...so I got a double shot of Tequila and just said "#*&@ it!" I proceeded 6 strikes and a couple spares to salvage the 183.

Game 3 I ordered another double shot and had it not been for a greek church in the 10th...I was on track for a 230 game...coulda salvaged a respectable 550 series.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.69 pins
    Strikes: 46% (2 4-baggers and 7 singles)
    Spares: 47% picked up

Single Pin spares: 66% (4/6)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (3x).
    Also left a single 4-pin (2x) and 7-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 36% (4/11)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 1-2-4-10 (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/5)

Average over 3 games: 173.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 180.33.

Helped the team take 3 or 4 of the points...despite my early struggles. Not sure if the alcohol did anything or if I just settled down...but things were much improved post-tequilla.

Wednesday Night League

The league had an opening so I agreed to join. So next week...I'll start bowling on an actual team.

533 Series: 175-183-196

Chopped a 6-10 in the 4th frame of Game 1 to ruin my bid for my 100th clean game. Only two strikes; carry issues. Game 2 was more of the same. Missed an 8-pin in the 3rd and then opened on a 4-pin in the 10th. Only three strikes.

Game 3 was the closest I've ever come to a Dutch 200...a 7 / in the 3rd frame...had it have been a strike...my first Dutch 200. But, I settled for finally getting the 100th clean game.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.69 pins
    Strikes: 31% (1 double and 8 singles)
    Spares: 80% picked up

Single Pin spares: 83% (10/12)
    Most common single-pin leave: 4-pin (3x).
    Never left a single 1-pin nor 5-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 77% (7/9)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 2-4-5-8 bucket (2x)

Splits: 100% (1/1)

Average over 3 games: 177.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 185.67.

Had trouble holding my line. 3 out of 8 of the bowlers were throwing plastic balls up the middle...I think there was carrydown and it was messing with my shot a bit.

Happy to get my 100th clean game. I remember thinking a clean game was as hard to get as a 300-game early on...now it seems in reach almost every game.

Friday League Night (subbing)

539 Series: 184-186-169

Games 1 and 2 were the same ole same ole...lots of marks, a couple opens per game, but unable to run strikes together. Game 3 I had even worse carry...and had some single-pin spare shooting issues early.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.72 pins
    Strikes: 40% (4 doubles, and 5 singles)
    Spares: 63% picked up

Single Pin spares: 62% (5/8)
    Most common single-pin leave: 2-pin and 10-pin (2x).
    Never left a single 3-pin, 5-pin, 6-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 63% (7/11)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 2-4-5 and 1-2-4-8 (2x each)

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Average over 3 games: 179.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 190.33.

Bowled against a team that I used to bowl against at another center. Older team, missing their best bowler..but still had a couple very good bowlers and and a couple decent female bowlers with lots of handicap. The team I was subbing for had two above average bowlers and me...but little handicap and a minus 10-pins each game for the absence. Everyone bowled well...but their one lady bowler bowled a 210 and a 190 despite a 135 average...so games 1 and 2 were a loss. In the 3rd, my 169 didn't blow it and we won at least one point. It stings...but nothing I did HURT the team...I helped them...it's just really tough to beat a team that has a 155 average bowler that averages 135 as a sub (somehow?)...or maybe she just had the series of her life...it happens.

Consistent...still gotta get some movement down lane...the revs aren't as high with 16lbs as they were with 15lbs...leaving way, way too many 2-pins, 2-4-5s, 1-2-4-8s, 1-2-4-10s, etc... Part of that is re-adjusting my starting points. I have notes for almost every lane at the center...but I need to make some small adjustments to account for the equipment change (weight).

Page 145 of 226 FirstFirst ... 4595135141142143144145146147148149155195 ... LastLast