Page 146 of 226 FirstFirst ... 4696136142143144145146147148149150156196 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,460 of 2253

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Wednesday Night League
    Older Brunswick synthetics: low-moderate oil

546 Series: 201-174-171

Game 1 I really felt dialed in with the Reax Pearl. But, a missed single 10-pin in the 10th kinda ruined any chance at a really good score.

Game 2 I had a few opens, but I had a couple doubles filtered in there to help prop the score up.

Game 3 I switched to the Defiant Edge (from the Innovate) on one of the lanes...but was using the Innovate on the other lane. The problem (I think) is that I may have "over done it" when I tried to de-oil the Defiant Edge...and the damn VISE IT insert was getting stuck and not going in the D. Edge. That meant before each shot, I had to use my left thumb as best I could, then really wrench on it with my right thumb...just too much aggravation.

Actually, my spare shooting improved in Game 3 and I didn't strike as much...but 3 splits including a 4-6-7 I almost picked up in the 4th frame.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.00 pins
    Strikes: 50% (1 4-bagger, 3 doubles, and 6 singles)
    Spares: 50% picked up

Single Pin spares: 75% (6/8)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (5x).
    Also left a single 2-pin and a single 9-pin (2x).

Multiple Pin spares: 25% (2/8)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2-8 (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/4)

Average over 3 games: 182.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 190.00.

Out of 4 nights bowling in this league, with my new arsenal...3 of the 4 nights...I shot a 200+ Game 1 and then two sub-200 games.

Average Game 1: 203.75
    Average Game 2: 167.50
    Average Game 3: 178.75

Not sure why that is...other than the theory that this house has older lanes, they transition quickly...the Reax Pearl is just too much ball once that transition happens...I either switch to the Innovate too soon...and have to spend 1-1.5 games re-adjusting my line...OR...I switch to the Innovate too late...after leaving flat 10s, 7s, 8s, 2s...and unless my spare shooting is perfect (which it rarely is)...I'm in the 151-183 range. By Game 3...I usually figure things out...either staying with the Innovate or moving to the RG Def. Edge...and the score depends not only on spare shooting...but how long it takes me to get dialed in with the Def. Edge...worst case 150-171...best case 196-198.

Can't complain. The team was impressed with my fairly average performance. We took 3 out of 4...which is good since this team is closer to the top of the standings. The waitress said nice things to me. And I managed to pay for my ball repairs, a VISE IT removal tool, and my dinner using the money I won in brackets when the guy I was up against (a 2-hander nonetheless) completely POOed the bed in Game 3. Lucked out that my 202 handicap score held up in round 2 of brackets...usually thats where I falter.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 32

Not bad. Why are you deoiling the defiant edge all ready? IF you can find some lanes with oil on them during practice or maybe right after league if they aren't too burnt throw your Reax for a pocket hit then pick up the Defiant Edge and see what adjustment you need to put it in the pocket. Then you know I believe the adjustment From the Reax to the Edge will be more natural for you.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Why are you deoiling the defiant edge all ready?
    I try to de-oil after every third use. I'm probably going to switch to an every 10 use schedule given that:
    1) I left the DE in a bit too long last time and I think I messed up the thumb hole a bit.
    2) The polished Pearls don't seem to absorb oil nearly as fast as sanded solids. Most places will sand the ball, then de-oil, then polish...I believe...but I've gotten very little oil out of any of the pearls I've thrown...especially the OOB and polished ones.

I believe the adjustment From the Reax to the Edge will be more natural for you.
    The drop from the Reax Pearl to the Innovate is actually a fairly flawless transition. It's when I get into late 2nd game and 3rd game...when I switch to the Defiant Edge...if I switch too early...it 'flips' unpredictably and harder...kinda like my old Melee Jab. But (also like the Jab), if I wait too long to switch..my angle is usually a 2:1, 1:1, 2:2, 3:3 too far inside.

In a nutshell...I switch from the Reax Pearl to the Innovate...I strike. When I switch from the Innovate to the Defiant Edge...I either go through the nose or leave 4s or 9s...OR...I miss right and leave a 1-2-8.

Friday League Night (subbing)
    Older Brunswick synthetics: low-moderate oil

654 Series: 225-267 (clean)-162

Game 1 I was a baby split away from a clean 235.

Game 2 tied my personal best sanctioned game...highest game since my 277 practicing in Vegas in September or my last league 267 from late October last year. Apparently I have one sanctioned 267 game in me, per year. Spare in the first, spare in the 10th.

Game 3 wasn't as bad as the score indicates. I was clean until the 6th frame when I left a Big 4...and chopped the 10-pin off, almost picking it up. The only "unforced error" of the entire series was when I missed a 1-2 spare conversion (1/4 to 1/2 inch to the right) in the 8th frame...which rattled me a bit mentally...then a 3-7-9 split in the 9th frame. Just lost my strike line and couldn't get it back.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.06 pins
    Strikes: 50% (1 8-bagger, 1 4-bagger, 1 turkey, and 1 double)
    Spares: 73% picked up

Single Pin spares: 100% (5/8)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (3x).
    Also left a 6-pin (1x) and 9-pin (2x).

Multiple Pin spares: 55% (5/9)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 3-6 (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 3 games: 218.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: n/a.

Noticed weak hits in frames 1 and 2 of Game 3...so I switched to the Innovate...striking the next two frames...but then I just lost the line...got the Defiant Edge out for the 10th frame fill shot...but didn't need to make as many changes tonight as the team I was subbing on was bowling against a vacant team...and neither of the other guys threw up the right side...1 lefty and 1 righty/backup.

I didn't plan on doing very well...so I got in two brackets but not the strike ball or side pot. Would have easily won two side pots (and probably the strike ball had they drew my ticket during Game 2). Ended up just winning 1st place in one bracket and 2nd place in the other.

And yes, I did have to hear the moans and gripes as people looked at the bracket and saw a 304 (handicap) in Round 2.

Obviously, can't complain about that outing. Gotta figure out how to run 3 of these games together. Gotta figure out the transition. I had a legitimate shot at my first 700 series tonight...and I didn't even get close. I gotta fix that if I want to take my game to the next level.
    Last edited by Aslan; 11-03-2016 at 12:53 AM.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Nice game and nice set!

Very good shooting Aslan. Keep it up.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Nice bowling Aslan.

654 Series: 225-267-162
    Really nice set

I try to de-oil after every third use. I'm probably going to switch to an every 10 use
    That's way too much.

Non polished balls I resurface ever 6-10 games or so.
    Polished balls every 20-30 games. Notice this is actual games of use not every time I go bowling. From what I've been seeing your only using the edge in the third game it would only need to be resurfaced once or twice a season with that level of use more less de oiled.

I deoil after about 50-60 games and even then its mostly if I see a loss in performance.

The drop from the Reax Pearl to the Innovate is actually a fairly flawless transition. It's when I get into late 2nd game and 3rd game...when I switch to the Defiant Edge...if I switch too early...it 'flips' unpredictably and harder...kinda like my old Melee Jab. But (also like the Jab), if I wait too long to switch..my angle is usually a 2:1, 1:1, 2:2, 3:3 too far inside.

In a nutshell...I switch from the Reax Pearl to the Innovate...I strike. When I switch from the Innovate to the Defiant Edge...I either go through the nose or leave 4s or 9s...OR...I miss right and leave a 1-2-8.
    The reason your feeling more comfortable switching to the Innovate is it's allowing you to play more the same line with a weaker ball but that usually doesn't hold up well for long. Also it really leaves you without a step if your going to switch to the innovate just stick with it and leave the edge out of it.

When your moving left you should be making variations of 2-1 or 3-1 moves especially with the Edge not parallel moves. Try moving 4-2 or even 6-2 when switching to the Edge trust it it'll come back as long as you don't try and make it come back. If that puts you in the pocket make 2-1 moves afterward. Then you've still got the Innovate for game 3 if needed but most nights you shouldn't. If it washes out you know you switched too early.

Current arsenal

Quote Originally Posted by mc_runner View Post
    Nice game and nice set!
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba809 View Post
    Very good shooting Aslan. Keep it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofbowling View Post
    Nice bowling Aslan.
    Really nice set
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, and Thank you!!

That's way too much....Non polished balls I resurface ever 6-10 games or so.
    Polished balls every 20-30 games...I deoil after about 50-60 games and even then its mostly if I see a loss in performance.
    You may be right. Like I said, I don't get much oil out of pearls and polished balls when I DO de-oil them...meaning I'm probably doing it too soon.

The reason your feeling more comfortable switching to the Innovate is it's allowing you to play more the same line with a weaker ball but that usually doesn't hold up well for long.
    Exactly...BUT...depending on who you listen to...some would say the point of a proper arsenal is exactly for that purpose...so you can play a line for 3, 6, 9, 12 games...and never have to go to your "B-Game" or God forbid "C Game".

It IS a possibility that it isn't the WEAKNESS of the Defiant Edge...causing me to make a 2:1 right when I change from the Innovate...it could be that the Defiant Edge is too strong...and I need to make a 2:2, 3:3 or something like that...maybe a 2:1 or 4:2...but essentially I need to move left and play more of an inside game..not move 2:1 right to find dry. But again, this is a VERY VERY difficult thing to determine for amateur bowlers. Am I hitting light because this isn't enough ball? Or am I hitting light because the ball used up it's energy? Fortunately I have a lesson next week so I can talk this over with a coach (or two).

585 Series: 218 (clean)-199-168

Game 1 I made a lot of great shots...and when I didn't, I picked up the spares. Only 6 pins from winning the handicap side pot.

Game 2 I had a 4-6-7 split in the first frame...then was clean until I chopped a 1-2-4 leave in the 10th frame...thus ruining my chance at another 210+ game.

Game 3 was more of the same issues I've been having recently (see below).

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.62 pins
    Strikes: 46% (1 4-bagger, 4 doubles, and 3 singles)
    Spares: 70% picked up

Single Pin spares: 75% (3/4)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (2x).
    Also left a single 3-pin and 5-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 69% (9/13)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2-4 (3x)

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 195.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 197.67.

I seem to be doing better in Game 2 than I was the first four weeks...but still struggling MIGHTILY in Game 3.

Average Game 1: 206.60 (trending up)
    Average Game 2: 173.80 (trending up)
    Average Game 3: 176.60 (trending down)

Something to talk about in my upcoming lessons, for sure.

But, I won one card game and both brackets (despite the poo 3rd game)...missed Game 1 side pot by 6 pins...but still only did a little better than breaking even (breakdown saved for another post).
    Last edited by Aslan; 11-03-2016 at 01:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post

Exactly...BUT...depending on who you listen to...some would say the point of a proper arsenal is exactly for that purpose...so you can play a line for 3, 6, 9, 12 games...and never have to go to your "B-Game" or God forbid "C Game".

It IS a possibility that it isn't the WEAKNESS of the Defiant Edge...causing me to make a 2:1 right when I change from the Innovate...it could be that the Defiant Edge is too strong...and I need to make a 2:2, 3:3 or something like that...maybe a 2:1 or 4:2...but essentially I need to move left and play more of an inside game..not move 2:1 right to find dry. But again, this is a VERY VERY difficult thing to determine for amateur bowlers. Am I hitting light because this isn't enough ball? Or am I hitting light because the ball used up it's energy? Fortunately I have a lesson next week so I can talk this over with a coach (or two).
    Never move right. If you need to get the ball more into the dry to get it to react move your feet 2 boards to left and keep your target the same. This forces the breakpoint of the ball farther right.

Moving 2-1,4-2,6-2 does not constitute going to your B or C game. That's a normal adjustment that any bowler should be able to seamlessly make. For me I'm comfortable targeting anywhere from 5-18 standing pretty much anywhere left of 25 that's my A game I can play there without making changes to how I line up, my approach, and my release. Playing left of 20 that's a B game because it takes physical changes in my approach to get that far left with the correct angle. Playing right of 5 with my feet right of 20 takes physical changes to my approach and release. When a good bowler refers to b and c games it's not a matter of I don't like it there it's the fact that they have to make physical changes to how they deliver the bowling ball from those areas. Moving 2-1, 4-2, 6-2, or 6-3 should not be causing you to enter those areas unless your already at the extremes of your area to begin with.

Current arsenal

Never move right. If you need to get the ball more into the dry to get it to react move your feet 2 boards to left and keep your target the same. This forces the breakpoint of the ball farther right.
    I agree with the never move right part, but as you move your feet left, you have to move your target left, otherwise before long you will be throwing the ball directly into the gutter unless you walk to the right and that defeats the whole purpose of the move. When you move your feet left three boards and your target left two boards, change the angle of your hips and shoulders, you can effectively "open up the lane." I agree also that lateral movements do not constitute your A game, B game, etc.

Page 146 of 226 FirstFirst ... 4696136142143144145146147148149150156196 ... LastLast