Page 147 of 226 FirstFirst ... 4797137143144145146147148149150151157197 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,470 of 2253

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I agree with the never move right part, but as you move your feet left, you have to move your target left, otherwise before long you will be throwing the ball directly into the gutter unless you walk to the right and that defeats the whole purpose of the move. When you move your feet left three boards and your target left two boards, change the angle of your hips and shoulders, you can effectively "open up the lane." I agree also that lateral movements do not constitute your A game, B game, etc.
    So you believe that you change the body position to open up the lanes instead of where your at on the lanes? My coach has a different tact with that to open the shot more you make small moves with your feet. Now he doesn't suggest standing on 35 and aiming at ten or anything but to move the break point a board or two left he generally has me just adjust my feet.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Yes, while he doesn't suggest standing on 35 and looking at ten, eventually, after several moves, that will be the end result if the eyes don't move along with the feet.

Yes, while he doesn't suggest standing on 35 and looking at ten, eventually, after several moves, that will be the end result if the eyes don't move along with the feet.
    He never has suggested adjusting that way on a continual basis after a 2 board move left top open the line you would make normal Parallel moves afterward. 2-1,4-2 so that's not really an issue. If you kept moving your feet left you are correct pretty soon the balls in the gutter.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 204

My response to both of you fine gentlemen..is, I agree...but it 'depends'.

For the purpose of this example, we'll use the extremes:

If you are standing center and throwing up the 10-board..using a sanded Brunswick Nirvanna...and you make 1-2 lateral moves...now you're standing 4 boards left and lets say targeting 12...and it leaves a flat 10-pin on each lane. You switch to a Columbia Freeze. You now leave a 2-4-5 3/4 bucket.

You have two options. Either;
    A) You move right 2:1 because the Columbia Freeze is just not making that turn...and you need "drier".

B) You move 2:1 left...looking for "dry".

The question I have about this option, that I can't really understand is...why wouldn't I keep striking with my initial ball...continuing to move left...continuing to strike? I can understand lateral moves left. I can understand "balling down" and staying on/around your line. I can't understand combining lateral moves left AND balling down....UNLESS...it's a 'loss of energy issue'...in which case...the Defiant Edge that I'm balling down to...is stronger than I need that ball to be AND there's not enough carrydown to facilitate using it.

And that may very well be the case. I couldn't use the Asylum because it hooked too soon. It didn't 'fit' in my arsenal. This (Defiant Edge) is my second attempt at Rotogrip...it may be that the Rotogrip balls are just hooking too soon (and sooner than my ball driller feels they do). And/Or...this is a house that transitions quickly due to the age of the lanes. It may just be that there's really no carrydown at all...or definitely not enough...so it's hitting a drier spot than it's drilled/chosen for.

My concern is...and why I tend to choose "A"...is;
    1) There is no "dry". There are varying degrees of oiled. The middle...higher volume. Outside...carrydown and lower volumes. The only way to make "dry" is for the center to strip each lane and apply oil in a shape vertically. Then clean and strip the lanes and repeat that each time. "Dry" is a myth. And if you're wrong...that 2-4-5 becomes a 1-2-3-4-5-7-8 leave on the next shot.

2) "A Games" and "B Games" and "C Games" exist. For most of us...thats track versus out and in versus opening up the lane and trusting the breakpoint. For advanced professionals...that may be varied speeds and releases or going from one # steps approach to a different # of steps. I know from thousands of games of experience...if my feet get left of 25...and/or my target gets inside of 14...I lose all margin for error. Any slight miss right or muscling of the shot...I will miss right of the head pin...maybe a washout. If I miss left...poo shoot...could leave the 2-pin, could leave the 3-pin.

Intersting stuff.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

I assume you're bowling on THS.

To be honest on most THS there is so much forgiveness whatever ball you're using it should react pretty similar. When I miss a shot more times than not it's me that is the problem, not the ball. Either my release, drift, hand, target was off. The least of my worries is the actual ball not reacting the way it should.

Sure there are times when it is the ball reaction's fault but that sometimes also comes back to the release.

Moral of the story don't switch from a Nirvava to a Freeze.

The reason you don't just continually make lateral moves especially with a ball like the nirvana is eventually your going to start leaving corner pins the ball starts to early and the ball cant recover with enough angle to carry. Also the heads start to wear and what's an early ball anyway becomes even earlier.

There is little to no carry down and modern reactive balls aren't effected by it anyway. Also when your pushing that breakpoint right the guys causing carry down i.e. Plastic aren't out there anyway. Your not finding carry down at 7 45 foot down the lane.

Your not waiting on the oil to carry down to use the edge it's the opposite if anything. On a THS you could easily start with the edge if you wanted. There is already dry out there. With your more skid flip pieces and the edge fits into that you need a defined dry spot to bounce the ball off of. It's all about finding that spot on the land where the ball turns and is guided into the pocket.

I think when you're moving in your keeping your lines to tight. Try opening the hips and shoulders more as Rob suggest or moving a couple boards left with your feet whichever works for you and feed the ball to the dry more when you move in. Then make normal 2-1,4-2 adjustments afterwards. I think you'll see a difference

The one thing to remember about the Nirvana is that it's a ball for heavy oil, and it's best to play in as much oil as you can (down the middle). It also had a big tendency to over react to friction, which is not a very good ball on a THS, especially when you compare it to the Ultimate Nirvana which has a lot more versatility.

This opinion is also shared by Rob Johnson (Lane Side Reviews) and Chuck Gardner (Chuck On The Truck) from Brunswick.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Two misconceptions here:

1. You don't have to start with an aggressive ball and ball down. Look at it like this: on fresh oil, there is, by definition, friction on the outside, usually around the second arrow. If you start with a less aggressive ball playing the oil line, you are still going to read the friction on the outside, and you will take full advantage of the hold area to your left. Most of the bowlers in THS leagues are going to be playing the second arrow, so, once your hold starts to dry up, try making a 5 and 3 move left, and switch to a more aggressive ball. You now have enough ball to get it back from the area that you and others have already dried up, and you will not over-react to the heavier oil nearer the middle of the lane on pulled shots. Before my surgery, I started bowling pretty well, and I was approaching it like this: started with the Fanatic BTU near the oil line. Jumped left and switched to Rocketship when required. If another move was required, I jump left again and switch to the Snapback, the most aggressive ball in my bag. When it got so dried out all over the place, I switch back to the BTU or the LT 48 a play around the third arrow, going as straight as possible. Try it, you might like it.

2. Please, please stop talking about carry down. Unless you have someone throwing plastic or urethane on your pair, it doesn't exist. Adjusting for carry down will only get you in trouble.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Two misconceptions here:
    2. Please, please stop talking about carry down. Unless you have someone throwing plastic or urethane on your pair, it doesn't exist. Adjusting for carry down will only get you in trouble.
    Yeah don't talk about things that don't exist, except for when they do exist.

Like a resin ball drilled with a low flare layout, or a resin ball that is in need of de-oiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    Yeah don't talk about things that don't exist, except for when they do exist.

Like a resin ball drilled with a low flare layout, or a resin ball that is in need of de-oiling.
    Human beings fight to hold on to their beliefs. Of course we could list every single thing that can possibly cause carry down today, but doing so just makes it more difficult for individuals to let go of their outdated beliefs that are irrelevant 98% of the time. Once again, Mike, I'm just trying to help. Everyday I see bowlers trying to adjust for carry down that doesn't exist and it just doesn't work a great, great majority of the time.

Page 147 of 226 FirstFirst ... 4797137143144145146147148149150151157197 ... LastLast