Page 158 of 226 FirstFirst ... 58108148154155156157158159160161162168208 ... LastLast
Results 1,571 to 1,580 of 2260

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Of course this brings up the argument of what a clean game is. Mine (and apparently USBC) definition is any mark in the frame whether it be an X or /

Others say you still need to finish out the 10th frame and don't leave any pins standing to be considered clean.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    Of course this brings up the argument of what a clean game is. Mine (and apparently USBC) definition is any mark in the frame whether it be an X or /

Others say you still need to finish out the 10th frame and don't leave any pins standing to be considered clean.
    I think when the clean game pot was being run, a spare in the tenth, with any fill, as long as you didn't throw a gutter ball, was clean. There was some talk that the fill should be 5 or more, but I don't think it ever became official. A strike on the first ball in the tenth required either another strike plus some fill or a a spare to be clean.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    I think when the clean game pot was being run, a spare in the tenth, with any fill, as long as you didn't throw a gutter ball, was clean. There was some talk that the fill should be 5 or more, but I don't think it ever became official. A strike on the first ball in the tenth required either another strike plus some fill or a a spare to be clean.
    And that's the slippery slope. Some would say a strike and done, clean game. You can gutter the next two balls.

Chats: 0

Guessing in this scenario it would be better to get a spare over a strike, only in the 10th frame of the 4th game. Sport shot clean 40 sounds awesome. To me winning this pot would be better than rolling a 300 on a typical house shot.
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

Chats: 204

I also believe, in another thread, this was discussed and the USBC definition is any one mark in the 10th. X--, XX-, XXX, X /, and / X.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksox1 View Post
    Guessing in this scenario it would be better to get a spare over a strike, only in the 10th frame of the 4th game. Sport shot clean 40 sounds awesome. To me winning this pot would be better than rolling a 300 on a typical house shot.
    Correct.

His league probably changed the definition because they were trying to hit 4 games in a row with no opens whatsoever. They call that "Clean"; but it's actually MORE than clean.

I didn't write the rule, but I think Blacksox is correct. Fundamentally, the last ball of the 10th frame is only there because of how bowling is uniquely scored. While strikes are needed in those slots to complete a perfect game, the are inconsequential to a "clean" game where there has been a mark in each frame.

"Clean Game - A game without any open frames" (Bowl.com)

Since there are no 11th nor 12th "frames", you just need "A" mark in the 10th frame.

We also had discussions back in 2013 about how hard a clean game was versus a perfect game. It was overwhelmingly decided that a 300-game was the more difficult accomplishment. "300-Game vs. Clean Series"?? That would be a more interesting debate. I'd say the 300-game is still harder...because you can hit light all night and have make-able spare shots. You really just have to stay in the pocket to avoid splits or more difficult spares. And when watching the pro tournaments....it seems like clean game after clean game after clean game...but no 300s.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 175; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Wednesday League Night: low oil synthetics, older brunswick lanes

Before the match, an older fella on the other team asked, "Are you John?" I replied, "Yes." He went on to say, "I've been watching you bowl. Very impressive. You're a very good bowler."

So using anger as a motivator was out. There were ZERO hot chicks to impress. No opponents were throwing 2-handed.

BUT....I found out I have another motivator...people out of the blue telling me how awesome I am. Phew! Almost a kink in the armor!

596 Series: 238 (clean) - 199 -159

Only made a couple 'bad shots" in Game 1. I think the old guy on the other team wanted to be my boyfriend; he was quite impressed.

Game 2 I struggled early with a chopped 1-2-8 in the 2nd frame and a pocket 5-7-10 split in the 4th. Regained composure and made a timely ball change and managed to salvage the 199.

Game 3 I just wasn't making good shots and when I did, I couldn't get the carry. A 1-2-4-10 washout in the first frame...my only single-pin miss in the 3rd frame...and a chopped 3-6 in the 9th frame...did me in.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.97 pins
    Strikes: 44% (1 5-bagger, 1 4-bagger, and 6 singles)
    Spares: 66% picked up

Single Pin spares: 90% (9/10)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (4x).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 2-pin, 6-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 37% (3/8)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 198.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 202.00.

It's funny how your expectations seem to move upward as your skills improve. I 'should' be happy with a 550+ game, my high game in the league, and I averaged above my house average. But...I KNOW I can do better than that. More focus and concentration...some better balance...and I could have had a 625-675 series. Our team lost 3 out of 4 points...and the night just didn't seem like a "win".
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

And that's the slippery slope. Some would say a strike and done, clean game. You can gutter the next two balls.
    According to USBC rules dept. a glean game is:

You only have to get one spare or strike in the 10th frame to keep the game clean.

The "Bowler's Guide" defines a Clean Game as follows: A game with spares or strikes in every frame.

Sincerely,
    John Budnik,
    Rules Counselor
    But in regards to clean game "Pots", you have to go by whatever rule or commonly excepted convention is used where your at.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Friday League Night (subbing)
    Older Brunswick synthetics: low-moderate oil

555 Series: 184-170-201

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.91 pins
    Strikes: 47% (2 4-baggers, 1 turkey, 1 double, and a 3 singles)
    Spares: 50% picked up

Single Pin spares: 37% (3/8)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 7-pin and 10-pin (2x each).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 2-pin, 4-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 60% (7/11)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 3-6 (3x)

Average over 3 games: 185.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 204.33.

Wasn't mentally in the game. Stats don't lie this time...would have averaged over 200 if I could just make my single-pin spares.
    Last edited by Aslan; 02-04-2017 at 05:23 AM.

Wednesday League Night: dry synthetics, older brunswick lanes

573 Series: 174 - 195 - 204

Game 1 I had two open frames and just never found my line.

Game 2 my only open was a missed 6-10 in the 3rd frame...but couldn't string the strikes together.

Started out Game 3 with a 5-10 split, then a 1-2-4-8-10 washout in the 5th. But, I struck in 6 of the first 9 frames...and was able to mark in the 10th and salvage the 200+ game.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.82 pins
    Strikes: 48% (1 4-bagger, 3 doubles, and 6 singles)
    Spares: 66% picked up

Single Pin spares: 100% (5/5)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (3x).
    Also left a 3-pin and 6-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 50% (5/10)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 4-7 (4x)

Average over 3 games: 191.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 191.00.

Really dry lanes tonight...I don't think they oiled that pair pre-league. Spent all of Game 1, and most of Game 2, moving left. Once I got far enough to the left and was outside my comfort zone...I started pulling shots...afraid to trust my line. My imaginary RobM coach was insisting that I trust the line and playing inside was a good thing...but, it was difficulty. Standing 30-35 and targeting 17-22 at the arrows is NOT my comfort zone nor my "A-Game".

In Game 3, I started to finally trust the line...and suddenly I was making really good shots and carrying. Yet another example of how sometimes we struggle because we're fighting with ourselves. Even when I mentally decided and focused on playing that inside line...my body would often pull the shot at the last minute to try and straighten it out. It was mutiny.

Question, what is the reasoning behind the red/green text?

Is it to indicate under/over 200 games and 600 series, etc...

Page 158 of 226 FirstFirst ... 58108148154155156157158159160161162168208 ... LastLast