Page 177 of 225 FirstFirst ... 77127167173174175176177178179180181187 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,770 of 2246

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    In my opinion, the US economy is headed for some big problems in the near-term. Three areas of the country leveled by hurricanes...including the gas/oil hub of Houston. Household debt now higher than it was before the crash in 2008. Home ownership at it's lowest rate since 1967. Unemployment has bottomed out. Wages are flat. 70% of manufacturing is still offshore. Consumer spending is down. The stock market is over-valued. Etc.., Etc.., Etc....
    You and I seem to be the only people seeing this. The unemployment number is much higher, though, than anyone is led to believe. It's only a recording of those currently looking for work and applying for benefits. Add to that the number that have just stopped looking for work, coupled with the "underemployed", and that number scoots into the double-digits with room to spare, no pun untended.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

Are you guys from bigger cities? Here in rural Iowa we don't have enough workers to go around. Some businesses are starting to face the music of shutting down because there just isn't staff to run them. My best friend has worked every day since July 5th and his next day off will be Thanksgiving because Hormel doesn't have enough workers to allow scheduled days off. I don't know what the unemployment rate is out here but it seems like it should be non-existent.

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb View Post
    You and I seem to be the only people seeing this. The unemployment number is much higher, though, than anyone is led to believe. It's only a recording of those currently looking for work and applying for benefits. Add to that the number that have just stopped looking for work, coupled with the "underemployed", and that number scoots into the double-digits with room to spare, no pun untended.
    Yeah. Even in my case...I've had such a hard time finding something...that I've had to apply for disability. Unemployment ran out in February. So, if I'm not on unemployment...the system no longer counts me. They claim I'm "no longer looking for work"...because the only way they have to measure that is unemployment certifications. Once you are no longer eligible for unemployment (about 6 months)...you're no longer counted. The real unemployment rate is in the 10-21% range.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Adam View Post
    Are you guys from bigger cities? Here in rural Iowa we don't have enough workers to go around. Some businesses are starting to face the music of shutting down because there just isn't staff to run them. My best friend has worked every day since July 5th and his next day off will be Thanksgiving because Hormel doesn't have enough workers to allow scheduled days off. I don't know what the unemployment rate is out here but it seems like it should be non-existent.
    It's not the supply of workers or jobs....it's the supply of jobs that pay a reasonable wage and the supply of workers willing to take less money than they can live on. There are "Help Wanted" signs in almost every storefront around where I live. Those jobs pay $9.50 to $13/hour.

I've applied to low-level jobs all over the area....factories, lumber yards, Lowes, installing leaf guards on gutters...and only Lowes called me back...because I intentionally left off my college education on the application. Those kind of places don't want a guy with two degrees...because they know I'd only be working there until I found a "real job".

I interviewed for a job last week...supervisor role...but it only paid $16/hour. I applied at the Post Office...but their jobs paid in the $15/hr range and were part-time. I applied anyways, but failed the "personality test". Apparently, I don't have an adequate personality to put letters in mailboxes on the side of the road. The Lowes job paid $11.42/hour...was part time...no benefits.

I've also applied to jobs in my field that pay in the $50,000-$85,000 annually range...but they get a ton of applicants and in most cases are in remote locations where I'd have to move/relocate to.

There are lots of jobs for certain 'functions'...like healthcare, construction, and truck drivers. But, the construction jobs pay very little for unskilled laborers...many use immigrants to fill those roles. A lot of truck driving jobs...but truck driving requires schooling and licencing...and you don't make much money, necessarily. Healthcare...same thing...you need certifications, specific education, etc... I could go back to school and get certifications...but it would take $100,000-$120,000 to go back to school for a year...because I'd also have bills to pay. I'd have to borrow enough money to pay my bills AND pay for school tuition....which has skyrocketed lately. I wanted to take a creative writing class at a community college...and it was $650 plus books for a semester.

My first book is almost done. I have about 1/3 a chapter left. Then I need to do some review and a short edit/re-write and it'll be ready for the editor. But editing could run $2,000-$4,000. And there's no guarantee I'll find an editor...and no guarantee it'll get published. I could self-publish....but again, then you're looking at $2500-$10,000 to pay to self-publish. And most books don't sell nearly enough copies to live off...I'd likely still need a second job/day job.

I may move home. A buddy and I were talking about doing a podcast. But, podcasts are a dime a dozen and very unlikely to be a real success. I also thought I could go down to Florida...live in my car for a bit (until I have no gas and/or it gets repoed)...and write a book about my experiences. But, thats a real risk where I lose the car and am legitemately homeless...which would make for an interesting book...but would suck. I've thought about doing consulting work...but I'd need >$100,000 to start up the consulting business to networking, cover materials, first year salary, and website design/hosting.

I've also thought about trying to get two jobs...maybe one making $14-$16/hour....then a part-time job like the Lowes job to supplement my income. That would suck...essentially just working 19 hours and sleeping 5...but it's possible...even if it's just short-term. The downside to that scenario...is the $14/$16 per hour job likely will require hours that aren't going to be flexible enough to allow me to moonlight. That $16/hour supervisor job required day and afternoon hours and weekend work. I'd have to find a second job that allowed me to have very flexible hours so I didn't end up losing he higher paying gig.

We'll see. There are 'jobs' out there...but I need $47k-$50k a year to pay my bills and get back to bowling again. And THOSE jobs...are just not very plentiful right now...not in this area. The lower cost of living allows me to look for $47k-$50k versus the > 85k I needed in California...but that hasn't helped the situation as much as thought.
    Last edited by Aslan; 10-02-2017 at 11:29 AM.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Tuesday Practice: low-oil synthetics

Warm-Up: 192

500 Series: 168-169-163

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.56 pins
    Strikes: 37%
    Spares: 50% picked up

Single Pin spares: 63% (7/11)
    Most common single-pin leave: 7-pin and 10-pin (4x)
    Also left a single 2-pin (2x) and 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 40% (6/15)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2 and 2-8 (2x each)

Splits: n/a

Average over 4 games: 173.00.

Been awhile since I was on the lanes. I don't enjoy bowling much if I'm not participating in leagues...just seems rather pointless.

Still looking into jobs...no luck at all thus far. I was actually out job searching when I was near the alley and decided to stop in.

My game was certainly off...mentally and physically. Physically I spent most of the practice trying to just get my timing back...getting my hand in the proper position, etc... Mentally I just am not "there" due to the job woes. Plus, I had to pick my daughter up from school at 3PM so I was kinda pressed for time and that was in the back of my head.

Not the usual Pinpal stats because I can't get my Pinpal app to work on the iPhone. Had to enter the scores into the Android phone...which isn't as ideal because it lacks some of the functionality of the iphone version (no strike breakdown, no average if all single pin spares were picked up, etc...)

Hopefully my game isn't completely "gone" after not practicing as much as I'm accustomed to.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 32

Sorry the work thing is going so hard. Hopefully something comes up for you soon.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Sorry the work thing is going so hard. Hopefully something comes up for you soon.
    Yeah. Me too. I'm not nearly the annoying internet bowling board troll I used to be when I had gainful employment.

The "good" news on the job front is I think I got a general labor job lined up filling pesticides into containers. Assuming I don't get cancer or grow a 3rd testicle...I can at least make $14.75/hr working midnight shift. Now it's just a matter of securing a second job so I can afford to have both an apartment AND utilities...and still have money for that pesky gas/food situation. I have a couple things/possibilities lined up for a second job. What's the over/under on how long I can make it working 80-hour weeks??

I have a few other "possibilities":
    1) A job or two...one is about an hour+ drive...but decent money and in my field.
    2) A job in Western Michigan...close to six figures...but I'd have to move away.
    3) A job in Northern Michigan...close to my sister and other family...close to where I went to college...very good chance I could get it....good money (Between #1 and #2)...but I'd have to move away.

Most importantly (and relevant to the site)...severe interference with my bowling progress. Working two jobs may leave me only Sundays as possible league night...and there aren't really good leagues on Sundays. Western Michigan has good bowling and good centers...but Northern Michigan I'd be lucky to find two centers within an hour of each other.

Wednesday Practice: low-oil synthetics

Warm-Up: 266 (clean)

594 Series: 214-157-223

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.27 pins
    Strikes: 51%
    Spares: 70% picked up

Single Pin spares: 91% (11/12)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (6x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, 4-pin, 6-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 37% (3/8)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a

Splits: 20% (1/5)

Average over 4 games: 215.00.

Was in a better place mentally...but struggled most of the practice session. My line seemed overly 'tight'...which led me to pull alot of shots. The warm-up game wasn't as good as the score indicates...I'd say all but two of the strikes were brooklyn. Also needed to work on my release. My release has gotten "lazy"...and I'm not staying under/behind the ball...trying to rev it up with my fingers.

Chats: 32

Well I'd suggest the one an hour away. Trying to work 80 hours a week isn't a long term solution you can do that for a while but eventually life sucks to bad that way. still close enough to see your kid and you can move latter if it works out. Plus bowling boards gets a little dull without you around lol
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 256

Keep at it Aslan. Good luck on the job hunt, sure looks like you have some prospects lined up.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Monday Practice: low-oil synthetics

Warm-Up: 160

443 Series: 184-126-133

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.70 pins
    Strikes: 31%
    Spares: 34% picked up

Single Pin spares: 52% (9/17)
    Most common single-pin leave: 7-pin and 10-pin (4x each)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 8% (3/8)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 5-10 and 8-10 splits (2x each)

Splits: 0% (0/4)

Average over 4 games: 150.75.

Been almost a month since I was on the lanes. Amazing to think I used to bowl at least 3 times a week and now it's about once a month. My skills seem to be getting rusty...especially single-pin spares...which were never that great to begin with.

Did the midnight shift job filling pesticides for a couple weeks. Then I had a job interview in Michigan...started as a part-time package handler for Fed Ex in the meantime. Supposed to start delivering packages for UPS Wednesday...temporary job till just after the New Year. Not a good time for finding a new gig since a lot of companies don't really start hiring until after the holidays. Job openings come available...but the people doing the hiring are all on vacation.

Oh well...still alive...

Hey all. Still alive.

I came on here to update some of my posts now that I think I figured out the issue I was having with Pinpal on my iPhone...but more on that later.

I am on the road for work (training)...wish I'd have brought my bowling balls...Elk Grove Bowl just down the street from my hotel.

I haven't bowled since about Thanksgiving time last year. I was dealing with the job issue until March. Found a job, but still have the IRS hovering like vultures...so...if the IRS decides to go hardcore and garnish my wages...I just don't make enough money at this new gig to pay my bills AND send $135 to California for State taxes AND send $274/month to the federal IRS. So...still a bit in limbo...and I just haven't wanted to bowl. Last time I bowled my mind was just "elsewhere" and I didn't even bowl a 450 series.

Hopefully I can get things worked out...get back into league bowling 2 nights a week...and get back to "normal". I involved myself on the USBC Facebook page for a short time...but the administrator penalized me with a 48-hour ban because I referred to people who whine about USBC changes as "whiners"...so I just left the group. I mean, if THAT is gonna get me a 48-hour ban...I don't think I'm gonna last long given my track record of riling up the masses. ; )

Hope everyone is doing well.

Aslan

Page 177 of 225 FirstFirst ... 77127167173174175176177178179180181187 ... LastLast