Page 181 of 225 FirstFirst ... 81131171177178179180181182183184185191 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,810 of 2249

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

So I'm still trying to figure out how you determine that the lanes are "low oil synthetics." Is it a short pattern? Is it a long pattern with extremely dry outsides? Is it dry in the middle but oily on the outside? Once you get to the level where you stop trying to sum everything up with two or three words, you'll probably get to be where you want to be.

High Roller
    Chats: 0

I often struggle with 9 counts no matter which ball I use. I find that if I get inside the first arrow I don't get carrys even though it looks like a perfect shot. 6-7 board is about my limit. If I get inside that I get 9's. I move over slightly and get to the first arrow I start striking. Can't explain it.
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    So I'm still trying to figure out how you determine that the lanes are "low oil synthetics." Is it a short pattern? Is it a long pattern with extremely dry outsides? Is it dry in the middle but oily on the outside? Once you get to the level where you stop trying to sum everything up with two or three words, you'll probably get to be where you want to be.
    I dunno. Honestly, I totally 1000% agree that low oil synthetics vs heavy oil don't mean much. Until I get to the level where I am bowling competitively and know exactly what pattern and oil volumes are being used...it's a rather useless description. I actually can only go by what other players are feeling. I call it "low-oil synthetics" because our anchor throws plastic and averages over 200. He claims he can't use reactive or it over hooks. To me, that seems on the lower oil side. Tonight I changed it to "medium oil" only because one guy that usually struggles (he has really low speed and a strong ball) mentioned the lanes seemed heavier oil (or longer) tonight.

Thursday Men's League: medium-oil synthetics

541 Series: 128-167-246

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.32 pins
    Strikes: 44%
    Spares: 42% picked up

Single Pin spares: 42% (3/7)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (4x)
    Also left a single 6-pin and 7-pin (2x).

Multiple Pin spares: 41% (5/12)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2-3-4-5-7-8 (2x)

Splits: n/a

Average over 3 games: 180.33.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 193.33.

Still no answers.

It could be the ball. Statistically speaking, it lends me to believe that the ball is a factor...given the scores almost always improve as the night goes on.

But I can't say for certain...because the first games just seem like the timing and release are still "off". By the third game (tonight)...I could feel my timing back where it was supposed to be and my balance and my release.

So is the balance/release/timing the issue? Is it the ball? Is it both? I still can't figure out the issue.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 184; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post

So is the balance/release/timing the issue? Is it the ball? Is it both? I still can't figure out the issue.
    Based on your latest scores I vote”balance/release/timing”. Unless Iceman put a curse on the ball that makes it leave splits 3 out 4 frames, you should be able to do better than 128. And if it was the wrong ball for the conditions, you probably wouldn’t string enough strikes to break 240.

Obviously something clicked the last game, allowing you to repeat good shots. Either that or you were the luckiest s.o.b. bowling that game

Now there is a chance, make that two chances, that the ball is affecting your technique. One is that the ball no longer fits properly. A ball that doesn’t fit right is almost impossible to throw right. The second is that if you don’t believe the ball is any good you may very well subconsciously throw it wrong to prove your belief to be correct.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Based on your latest scores I vote”balance/release/timing”.
    Thursday Men's League: low-oil synthetics

509 Series: 168-173-168

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.44 pins
    Strikes: 43%
    Spares: 44% picked up

Single Pin spares: 66% (4/6)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (5x)
    Also left a single 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 33% (4/12)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 3-6 and 4-6-7-10 split (2x each)

Splits: 0% (0/5)

Average over 3 games: 169.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 174.33.

The scores are a bit lower than how I actually bowled.

In Game 1, I started out with Big 4 and a 4-10. I missed a 10-pin in the 6th frame, but was otherwise clean. I wasn't happy sith a sub-170 game...but I made 2 out of 3 of my 10-pins (which I have been struggling with lately) and I only had three open frames...two of them splits back-to-back. And, I took the point from my opponent who had an awful game.

Game 2 was more of the same. Three open frames, one on a 6-7-10 split and one on a 1-2-4-10 washout...with another missed 10-pin...this time in the 9th. I actually bowled quite well...6 strikes including a turkey. Where I really kicked myself was on the last ball. I struck on the first ball and then somehow ended up with a 2-4-6-7-10 split. I only needed two pins to tie my opponent...3 pins to win. I should have just moved 4 boards right and would have likely gotten the 3 pins. Instead, I tried to pick up the split with a straight shot from the left using my spare ball...and guttered.

Game 3 was miserable and embarrassing. For the first time in probably 3-4 years...I started the game with two gutters. I was trying to get some angle...but I was just too deep to aim at the dots...two shots that hit the target...but the line put them right in the gutter. Another 4-6-7-10 split in the second frame before I started getting back in my groove. Then, my third open frame occurred in the 10th when I chopped the 3-9 off a 1-3-9.

Things are "feeling" better. I'm starting to feel some consistency in my release again. I tend to agree with JAnderson that its the form and not the arsenal...I'm just a bit uneasy about the statistics.

Game 1: 145 average
    Game 2: 188 average
    Game 3: 170 average

Whether I warm up, don't warm up...doesn't matter. That first game is gonna be 128-168...20-60 pins lower than Game 2. Could it be that the Ebonite Warning Sign's hybrid cover is simply reading the lanes earlier than the Pearl cover on the DV8 Thug Life? How can that be? The Warning Sign is a mid-level ball that virtually nobody liked, it has a 0.041 differential and a PerfectScale rating < 189. Not to mention, it's an Ebonite...with a release date of 2011. The Thug Life is from DV8, it's much newer technology, with a > 0.050 differential, and a PerfectScale rating over 230.

I mean, I knew the Thug Life wasn't an ideal #1 ball...more of a #3 (assuming oil carrydown is a thing)...but it's really not much different (specs) than the Radical Reax Pearl that I was throwing in the #1 slot...and the Reax Pearl was a BEAST. I gotta get the ball spinner back up and running. I need to see if I can do something with surfacing.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

I like the balance / release / timing answer and when I went to see the local Gold coach he suggested that those along with
    being able to consistently repeat those said actions in the same way were the problem with many bowlers.

I've also been fortunate to bowl with a high school coach who is very observant and has helped me to realize that nearly all my problems are caused
    by issues that are hard to see but easy to feel when I start doing them.
    I would venture that with your experience and known ability to throw good balls and games that one or more of these flaws have crept into your game.
    That seems to usually be the case when the delivery, approach, release just doesn't feel right and it can be a ball or lane condition that triggers it without you really
    noticing what or how it does.

What happened to your other older balls, do you have any still around that you consistently threw well?

Get it out and throw a few games, does it feel right and score well ? Use it.

I certainly can't pick out what flaws you might have slipped into but maybe some of the resident experts could if you post some video.

I can tell you what are a couple of the ones I fall into are, one is speed variance on approach, if I get going too fast up to the line it messes up my timing and balance\
    and the second is if I start to come around on the ball instead of staying behind it, that causes me to start to chicken wing my elbow and the ball goes all different places messing up my release.

Chances are your issue is pretty simple, and that's what makes it so hard to get a handle on it .......

Good Luck !

467 Series: 162-158-147

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.78 pins
    Strikes: 25%
    Spares: 58% picked up

Single Pin spares: 73% (11/15)
    Most common single-pin leave: 7-pin (6x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 6-pin, 8-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 33% (3/9)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 6-10 split (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/4)

Average over 3 games: 155.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 170.00.

Do I like the score/series? No, of course not. This is yet another embarrassment...3 games below my average and below my lifetime average. Are there encouraging signs? Yes.

- The timing feels like it is back.
    - There were no "horrible shots" or bad misses. Almost every shot was a pocket hit.
    - Single-pin spare shooting was improved.

The real problem seemed to be carry. Only 3 strikes in Game 1. Only 4 strikes in Game 2. Only 1 strike in Game 3.

Game 3 was 5 3, 9 /, 9 /, 9 /, 7 2, X, 9 -, 9 /, 9 /, 9 -. The first shot I had a bit too much speed and adjusted my angle a bit too much when I made my ball change...so I ended up with a 1-2-4-8-10 washout. Frame 5 was either a slightly pulled shot or a little too much hand...maybe a slight miss inside...that led to a 4-7-10 split. Otherwise it was good shots...single-pin leaves. Games 1 and 2 were very similar. 3 open frames...the rest were marks. A few of the opens were splits.

So...I'm feeling improvements...just not seeing the results yet.

486 Series: 176-129-181

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.60 pins
    Strikes: 30%
    Spares: 52% picked up

Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (5x)
    Never left a single 4-pin and 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 57% (8/14)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2, 1-2-4, and 4-9 split (2x each).

Splits: 33% (1/3)

Average over 3 games: 162.00.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 176.33.

Do I like the score/series? No, of course not. This is yet another embarrassment...3 games below my average and below my lifetime average. Are there...still...encouraging signs? Yes.

The timing is coming back...I can feel the form getting back to what it used to be. When I'm lined up...I'm hitting the pocket. My speed is down from the 19.67mph range to the 16.87mph range...much closer to what I should be throwing.

Tonight came down to TWO problems...neither of which were form related.

1) I did a pee poor job of spare shooting. I missed 3 10-pins in Game 2 and a 10-pin in the 10th frame of Game 3. You can't do that and expect to shoot in the 190s or higher. Something I need to work on. I missed them all about 0.5-1.5" to the left...so it wasn't a complete embarrassment...but still...that is something I can control and improve on. Game 3 was a clean game until I missed the 10-pin in the 10th...ya just can't do that.

2) I cost myself a lot of pins trying to move around when I made my ball changes. I need to trust my line and my instincts and just change balls without trying to adjust my line. I ended up moving right when I switched to the Warning Sign at the beginning of Game 2...when I should have stayed where I was. That led to a 1-2-4 washout and a 1-2...then a 4-7 before I finally got lined up again. Same thing with the Scandal Pearl in Game 3. I moved a little right...and got a 1-2-8 then a 2-7 baby split...when I should have stayed where I was. Now, I picked up 4 of the 5 splits...but still...I need to get my strike rate up and stop d*cking around with splits all night if I want to get my average back up to 195-200. I struck 4 times between Games 2 and 3...that makes for a long, tiring night.

Got the motor off the ball spinner. Need to order a replacement motor this weekend and then try and figure out how to get the whole thing back together. The entire arsenal needs some refinishing at this point.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post

486 Series: 176-129-181

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.60 pins
    Strikes: 30%
    Spares: 52% picked up

Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (5x)k
    Never left a single 4-pin and 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 57% (8/14)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2, 1-2-4, and 4-9 split (2x each).

Splits: 33% (1/3)

Average over 3 games: 162.00.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 176.33.

Do I like the score/series? No, of course not. This is yet another embarrassment...3 games below my average and below my lifetime average. Are there...still...encouraging signs? Yes.

The timing is coming back...I can feel the form getting back to what it used to be. When I'm lined up...I'm hitting the pocket. My speed is down from the 19.67mph range to the 16.87mph range...much closer to what I should be throwing.

Tonight came down to TWO problems...neither of which were form related.

1) I did a pee poor job of spare shooting. I missed 3 10-pins in Game 2 and a 10-pin in the 10th frame of Game 3. You can't do that and expect to shoot in the 190s or higher. Something I need to work on. I missed them all about 0.5-1.5" to the left...so it wasn't a complete embarrassment...but still...that is something I can control and improve on. Game 3 was a clean game until I missed the 10-pin in the 10th...ya just can't do that.

2) I cost myself a lot of pins trying to move around when I made my ball changes. I need to trust my line and my instincts and just change balls without trying to adjust my line. I ended up moving right when I switched to the Warning Sign at the beginning of Game 2...when I should have stayed where I was. That led to a 1-2-4 washout and a 1-2...then a 4-7 before I finally got lined up again. Same thing with the Scandal Pearl in Game 3. I moved a little right...and got a 1-2-8 then a 2-7 baby split...when I should have stayed where I was. Now, I picked up 4 of the 5 splits...but still...I need to get my strike rate up and stop d*cking around with splits all night if I want to get my average back up to 195-200. I struck 4 times between Games 2 and 3...that makes for a long, tiring night.

Got the motor off the ball spinner. Need to order a replacement motor this weekend and then try and figure out how to get the whole thing back together. The entire arsenal needs some refinishing at this point.
    Are you sure the whole motor’s bad? It could just be the brushes.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Are you sure the whole motor’s bad? It could just be the brushes.
    I don't know. It has two speeds and I accidentally switched directly from one speed to the other speed. It kept running fine that evening, but when I went to use it the next morning I saw a spark, it stopped working, and smoke was coming out of it.

A new motor is < $100...its just I'm not a "mechanic" and there is no manual...so I've had to feel my way around trying to fix it. I called the company, but they don't sell that spinner anymore...I don't think they even sell ball spinners at all anymore. I talked to one of their techs and he kinda walked me through what I needed to do...but it's hard to do over the phone.

Page 181 of 225 FirstFirst ... 81131171177178179180181182183184185191 ... LastLast