Page 190 of 225 FirstFirst ... 90140180186187188189190191192193194200 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,900 of 2246

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Wednesday Miller/Coors Master's Trios League: THS

599 Series: 184-244-171

Game 1 I had very little carry. Spare shooting was decent, only a missed 2-pin away from a clean game.

Game 2 was the opposite...4 strikes...then two opens...then 6 strikes.

Game 3 was more like Game 1...not much carry...a couple opens.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.24 pins
    Strikes: 47%
    Spares: 64% picked up

Single Pin spares: 75% (9/12)
    Most common single-pin leave: 6-pin (5x)
    Also left a single 2-pin (3x), 4-pin (2x), 7-pin, and 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 40% (2/5)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a

Splits: 50% (1/2)

Average over 3 games: 199.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 207.33.

When I got to the center, I was informed by a teammate that apparently the oil machine had 'problems'...so the lanes were going to be 'quite dry'. Well, he wasn't lying. My usual "A-Game" of playing the track quickly became my "C-Game" of playing inside the 13-board.

I decided to start with the Grudge Hybrid based on trying both the Aura Mystic and Grudge Hybrid in practice. It really took most of Game 1 just to move left enough where I could consistently get to the pocket. Game 2 I was finally dialed in...but any miss left was tragic.

By Game 3, I was starting to lose the pocket. Given the dry conditions, I thought maybe switching to the Gold Rhino and moving a bit right would help...it didn't. I thought maybe moving back a bit left and switching to the Fortera Exile would help...it didn't. I was able to make my spares...but still led to a disappointing game.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Adult PBA Weekly Tournament: Brunswick 19mL, 45ft Black Diamond pattern

This was the final week of the weekly challenge pattern tournament. All bowlers that had made a stepladder finals at least once during the year were eligible to participate.

557 Series: 174-220-163

Stepladder Finals: 178-200

Pinpal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.71 pins
    Strikes: 43% (1 5-bagger, 1 4-bagger, 2 turkeys, 3 doubles, and 3 singles)
    Spares: 50% picked up

Single Pin spares: 80% (8/10)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (4x).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, 8-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 33% (6/18)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2-3 (4x).

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 5 games: 187.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 191.00.

First game wasn't great, but I ran a few strikes together near the end.

Game 2 was my first scratch game in this league of 200+, 8 1, X, X, X, X, X, 8 /, 9 /, 8 /, 9 / 7.

Game 3 was rather lackluster, but still over my average.

Qualified in the #2 spot for the stepladder finals, so I had to wait around a bit.

Put together a clean front 6 and marked a couple more times. It was enough to get me to the finals where I had to face a very talented young player. I figured my only chance was to use my 30-pin advantage in handicap...but I ended up beating him scratch due to a 4-bagger starting in the 8th.

Great way to end the summer session. Used the Grudge Hybrid to start, then balled down to the Aura Mystic. Not the progression I envisioned...but until I change the surfaces...it works pretty good.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

FINAL WEEK: POSITION ROUND

Our team came into the final week in first place with 176 points.

We were expecting to bowl the team of high average, older ladies...our primary competition this season...but last week the 3rd place team managed to bump them into 3rd. The second place team came into the night with 164 points. With 17 points in play, we only needed 3 points to take the championship.

588 Series: 205-205-178

Early in Game 1 I went with the Aura Mystic...the lanes just seemed too dry for the Grudge Hybrid that I surfaced to 2500 with Royal Compound. Struck every time on the left lane, but struggled on the right lane.

Switched to the Vintage Gold Rhino for Game 2. Moved right a bit...a more "up and in" shot. Still couldn't seem to get anything going on the right lane. Struck 4 out 5 shots on the left lane...but only once on the right.

Switched to the Fortera Exile for Game 3, but made some bad shots on the right lane...then a bad break and a bad shot on the left lane...pretty much ruined my bid for a 205 triplicate.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.03 pins
    Strikes: 54%
    Spares: 64% picked up

Single Pin spares: 80% (4/5)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (3x)
    Also left a single 6-pin and 7-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 55% (5/9)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2 and 1-2-4-7 (2x each)

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 196.00.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 200.00.

Took 14 out of 17 points and secured 1st place with a record of 190-82.
    The ladies reclaimed 2nd place with a record of 176-92.
    The 3rd place team ended up 167-105.
    The next nearest team had < 90 points.

Still have a 200 average...but, even though we're done bowling for points, one more week that counts for average.

9-pin Tournament

190-147

End of the summer season raffle/prize giveaway...the 2-game 9-pin tournament was something to do while they drew tickets.

Not a big fan of 9-pin bowling...but I figured out why certain bowlers might be:

1) If you're a thumbless/palm/high rev bowler...you can absolutely score well on a THS...especially when you don't have to shoot corner pins.
    or
    2) You have an exceptionally slow ball speed.

We had 9 bowlers on our pair with the following style make-up:

Slow Speed/Older Man: 1
    High Rev/Thumbless/Palm: 4
    Regular/Strokers: 2
    Female: 2

I'm not sure 'why'...but the lanes played super dry this morning. It could be that:

a) I'm not used to this side of the house.
    b) I usually don't have as many bowlers on the pair (2-6 bowlers this summer vs. 9 this morning).
    c) The change I made to the Mystic caused it to be too aggressive.
    d) The styles of the bowlers I was up against messed up my line(s).

I don't think it's (C) because the change I made was only from OOB rough buff (~320/1500) to 1000-1500 Abralon.

I don't think it's (A)...I don't really buy that the lanes can be that different when oiled using the same machine...unless they didn't oil prior to the tournament. This is a newer, smaller house with synthetic lanes and I haven't noticed a big difference on the lanes we've used on Wednesdays.

The opponents 'could' have messed with my shot or the number of bowlers caused faster transition.

The palm/thumbless/crankers seemed to do well. Not that hard to carry 9 pins, with that style, when you hit the pocket. Now, when they had to shoot at anything that wasn't a full rack...it was embarrassing to watch. The older guy with a ball speed of < 8mph was able to carry 8-9 pins when he was in the pocket. Couldn't carry 10...but he could carry 9.

Same ole same ole. Once I got inside of 12, I would either go through the nose of leave a washout. Probably would have faired better had I started out with the Grudge Hybrid and balled down to the Rhino Gold...but not enough time in warm-ups to get my line figured out with the Mystic...not enough time to try the Grudge Hybrid.

No prizes...not even a colored headpin to shoot at to win $1. No pinpal stats...don't want to sully pinpal with ridiculous 9-pin nonsense.

FINAL WEEK

Won the league last week. This week we just got paid and bowled one more week for average.

My only goals were to keep my 200 average and stay in first place among male bowlers. Instead, well, things didn't go well.

496 Series: 133-189-174

Game 1 I shot my worst game of the season. Washouts, splits, only one strike, bad spare shooting...just the perfect storm of horrible. At this point, I needed to average about 223 in the final 2 games in order to keep my 200 average.

Switched to Aura Mystic for Game 2...struck 4 out of the first 5 frames...spare shooting improved...but just didn't make the best shots and only struck once in the last 5 frames.

That meant I needed a 255+ game in Game 3 to keep my 200 average...not to mention I was down about 89 pins to my teammate who was poised to take my 1st place for male average after he shot a 222 in Game 2. I started out okay...switched to the Fortera Exile on the right lane. Only opened twice...once on a split and one 6-pin...but just lost carry and was making bad first shots.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.44 pins
    Strikes: 28%
    Spares: 57% picked up

Single Pin spares: 70% (7/10)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (4x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, 5-pin, 8-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 45% (5/11)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 3 games: 165.33.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 175.00.

On the plus side, I finished with a 198 average...third highest in the league...on the first place team...all of which are firsts for me.

On the NEGATIVE side...I lost my 200 average...and lost my top male average spot...and shot my worst game of the season and worst series of the season.

Oh well, 8 more days until fall season starts and this bowling stuff actually matters.

Thursday Men's League: THS

First Night of Fall Season

523 Series: 135-215-174

Game 1 was bad in just about every way a bowling game CAN be bad. Wasn't comofrtable, timing was off, was rusty, wasn't lined up, was missing the pocket, no carry, horrible spare shooting.

Game 2 seemed like more of the same...bad spare shooting, a couple splits, missing the pocket...THEN...the timing returned and I got comfortable. Struck out with 7 strikes.

Game 3 I continued to hit the pocket...but started to lose carry. Single-pin spare shooting was 60%..so that didn't help either.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.97 pins
    Strikes: 42%
    Spares: 42% picked up

Single Pin spares: 55% (5/9)
    Also left a single 2-pin, 6-pin, 7-pin, and 4-pin (2x).

Multiple Pin spares: 30% (3/10)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 4-7 (2x).

Average over 3 games: 174.33.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 188.67.

A lot of green....only because it's based on my terrible final series of last season. Definitely not the series I was hoping for given that I only had a 9 day layoff between summer season and fall season. On the positive side, I took 3 out of 4 head-to-head to points and 3 of our 4 points our team won....and my 215 game won high game for the team in Game 2 which won me $3.

I forgot my notebook, so I was kinda bowling blind in terms of where I was setup to start. I started out about 3.5 boards right (feet and target) of where I should have...so the ball would either hook too early and miss left...or burn out in the dry and barely make it to the pocket and hit weak when it did. Once I got closer to the track and my feet closer to center...I had a pretty good line. Then in Game 3 that line started diminish a bit...still hitting the pocket...but no carry. Switched the Aura Mystic...but it still wasn't ideal.

I'm gonna try one more surface adjustment to see if I can get the Aura Mystic into the Ball #1 slot and move the Grudge Hybrid into the Ball #2 spot. If it doesn't work, then I may just give in and switch the two balls in my progression.

Gonna try and join a team on a Friday league at a different center. Kinda nervous about just showing up on league night without an actual team lined up...but hopefully it works out.
    Last edited by Aslan; 08-29-2019 at 11:38 PM.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

You bowled all summer and you’re rusty????

Seriously, I hope you find a good team Friday. Some years back my wife and I decided to join a summer league. We showed up the first week and were teamed up with a young man that we got along with very well. He’s been out of bowling for a few years, but I should be seeing him this season as he has been put on the sub list for my Thursday league.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    You bowled all summer and you’re rusty????
    I know, right? Everyone else spent the summer golfing and they were all griping about being rusty at bowling. Meanwhile, I bowled TWO leagues over the summer and couldn't get a 550 series after a 9-day layoff. Pathetic.

Seriously, I hope you find a good team Friday.
    Well, I didn't...but then I did...more on that story tomorrow.

Thursday Men's League: THS (drier pair)

600 Series:213-194-193

Practice kinda stunk...so I was worried I night have ANOTHER bad first game. But, once I made a slight adjustment right (based on the practice shots)...I got fairly dialed in. Ran a few strikes together and only one open helped me get a 200+ game.

Balled down to the Aura Mystic and I started Game 2 with a couple opens as I realized I needed to move a little right...then clean the rest of the way. But, couldn't put a 4-bagger together so I couldn't get to a 200-game.

Wasn't sure if I should ball down the the Rhino Gold and move further right...or try to battle carrydown with the Fortera Exile...but settled on the Exile for game 3. Started to pull some shots...but lucked out with some Brooklyn strikes and made my spares. Stayed clean until a 6-7-10 split in the 9th. Had to strike out in the 10th to salvage a decent score.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.91 pins
    Strikes: 50%
    Spares: 75% picked up

Single Pin spares: 71% (5/7)
    Most common single-pin leave: 5-pin, 6-pin, and 7-pin (2x each)
    Also left a single 10-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 77% (7/9)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 2-4-5-8 bucket (2x).

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Average over 3 games: 200.00.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 206.33.

Our team changed this week. Our captain needed to give up his spot for financial and health reasons and his replacement is a semi-pro "staffer" with a 213-225 average...so I'll miss our captain...but we definitely got an upgrade in talent.

I think having the semi-pro on our team kinda "pushed" me a little bit. Like, I didn't want to embarass myself...so I actually elevated my game a bit. It also helped in Game 3 when our lead player and I made a side-bet...gave me something extra to play for. Even though we played a very far superior team (in terms of average)....we held our own. I dominated my opponent...beating him 2 out of 3 games scratch and taking all 3 games and the total handicap. So, since getting demoted from #3 to #2 this season, I've managed to win 7 out of 8 individual points...well ahead of my teammates. Last week I finished with the 3rd (of 5 on my team) highest scratch total and 2nd highest handicap total. This week I had the 2nd highest scratch total and I 'believe' the highest handicap total.

After tomorrow, I'm gonna try and surface the Mystic down to 800 Siaair and take the Grudge Hybrid to 3000 with Royal Compound. If that isn't enough to position the Mystic ahead of the Grudge Hybrid...I'm gonna finish the Mystic to 500 and hit it with Storm Step 2 and surface the Grudge Hybrid to 4000 Abralon...and move the Grudge Hybrid permanently into the #1 spot and the Mystic to the #2 spot. At some point, you just have to accept that the ball is going to do what it is going to do. One "spec" that is hard to account for is age. Technology gets more advanced...so newer cores and newer coverstocks are going to be more aggressive. "Theortically" the Aura Mystic is the stronger ball and should break first...but that's not been the case. And I'm not gonna surface the Mystic to 360 Siaair and polish the Grudge Hybrid to try and create difference.

Seriously, I hope you find a good team Friday.
    Well, I got home last Friday...kinda disappointed that I couldn't find a team with an opening...but figured maybe it was for the best given my financial situation and decision to bowl a "fun" league with my teenage daughter.

Then, I got a call from an Iowa phone number and it was a kid that worked at the center who said he was going to put a team together and I had a spot if I wanted it...so I'm back to being in two leagues (actually 3 come Sunday).

Friday Mixed League: THS

563 Series:182-190-195

In practice, I wasn't making it back to the pocket...so I figured maybe I needed to go to my "B-Game" and play closer to the 5-board than the track. But, after 3-4 frames...it just felt like the Grudge Hybrid was going to be too 'jumpy' to play out there. Any slight miss left and I'd go through the nose or brooklyn...and even when I made a good shot I left a 10-pin. So, I switched to the Aura Mystic a little earlier than usual. It wasn't a 'terrible' game per se...but I missed two 10-pins and two opens pretty much kills your shot at a 200+ game.

Given that balling down to the Mystic wasn't working...and it was too early for carrydown to be the culprit...I decided to get the Grudge Hybrid back out and move a little left for Game 2. Started out with 3 opens in the first 4 frames...a split, a washout, and a chopped 3/4 bucket. I then struck on 5 of my remaining 7 shots to salvage a 190.

Stuck with the Grudge Hybrid for Game 3. Had trouble on the right lane...had a Dutch 200 up until a strike on the right lane in the 7th. But, the only open was a 4-9 split in the 9th...so I managed a decent 195.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.00 pins
    Strikes: 45%
    Spares: 58% picked up

Single Pin spares: 77% (7/9)
    Also left a single 3-pin (2x), 4-pin (2x), and 7-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 37% (3/8)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a.

Average over 3 games: 189.00.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 196.67.

Had to get used to this center a bit. It's a strange center because it is a smaller center that is located beneath a shopping mall. There are big pillars between some of the pairs...just a weird "feel". I've probably only bowled at this center 2-3 times before tonight. A lot of older bowlers in this league...decent skill level. Not nearly the skill level as in my Thursday league...but still, trying to finish in the top 20% of the bowlers is still gonna require some work.

Every-Other-Sunday Family Doubles: THS

551 Series:213-201-137

I started a bit inside the track based on previous experience at this center. This center is very close by where I live, but its not a very "league friendly" center...so I don't bowl there very often unless I need to. The line just wasn't working so I just moved about 3.5 boards right of center and aimed for 2nd arrow to see if I could get a better read.

I struck solidly on both lanes and had a chance to also try to the Grudge Hybrid. It looks like I finally found a surfacing combination that makes the Aura Mystic stronger than the Grudge Hybrid by surfacing the Aura Mystic down to 800 matte and surfacing the Grudge Hybrid to 3000 and then hitting it with Royal Compound.

Game 1 I was pretty well dialed in. Opened on a 10-pin in the 1st frame, but then stayed clean the rest of the way. A little more consistency in my release and I could have had a really big game.

Game 2 it was pretty obvious that I needed to make a minor move left. The move worked..but I made a couple bad shots early on before putting together a 4-bagger. Chopped a 2-5 in the 10th to dampen what could have been another 210+.

Game 3 the wheels fell off. The line started moving quicker than it was in the first 2 games. I chopped a 1-2-8-10 washout in the 3rd, chopped a 1-2-9 washout in the 6th, came < inch away from picking up a 4-7, completely missed a 1-2-8 washout in the 9th, then ended with a 4-6 split.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.81 pins
    Strikes: 45%
    Spares: 52% picked up

Single Pin spares: 80% (4/5)
    Most common single-pin leave: 9-pin (2x)
    Also left a single 2-pin, 6-pin, and 10-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 41% (5/12)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 6-10 (3x).

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Average over 3 games: 183.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 186.67.

Yet another reminder that I'm not yet a 190-200 average bowler....no matter what my summer average was. But, this is for 'fun'...something to do with the daughter. I'm gonna try and help her get a little better without taking it too seriously.

Page 190 of 225 FirstFirst ... 90140180186187188189190191192193194200 ... LastLast