Page 202 of 225 FirstFirst ... 102152192198199200201202203204205206212 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,020 of 2246

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

I haven’t done the math but I suspect that it’s better, at least as far as scoring, to have all your opens together rather than intersperse them amongst strikes and spares. Mentally though, it sucks.
    John

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    I haven’t done the math but I suspect that it’s better, at least as far as scoring, to have all your opens together rather than intersperse them amongst strikes and spares. Mentally though, it sucks.
    That may be true. A 'glass is half full' vs 'glass is half empty' approach I suppose.

Tuesday Men's League: THS

Eleventh Week

621 Series: 183-236 (clean)-202

Tried to start out with the Grudge Hybrid; but once again couldn't find a decent line and had to very soon switch to the Aura Mystic. I was so confused by what I was seeing that I even tried to throw the Rhino Gold late in the game and that failed miserably. 6 /, X, 7 /, 9 /, 9 /, 9 -, X, 9 /, X, 7 / 7.

By Game 2 it was clear that Aura Mystic was working well on the left lane and right lane...I just needed to add a little length to my shot on the right lane my adjusting by vertical target. That strategy led to a 4-bagger before making a bad shot. I finally had to make some small adjustments by the 7th and 8th frames, but I kept things clean and struck out in the 10th for my best game of the season thus far. X, X, X, X, 8 /, X, 9 /, 9 /, 9 /, X X X.

Continued to strike four more times into Game 3 before realizing that maybe another ball change was in order. Switched to the Fortera Exile...but needed to make a slight adjustment...and by the time I did...Game 3 was about over. X, X, X, X, 8 1, 9 /, 7 2, 8 /, X, 9 / X.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.09 pins
    Strikes: 50%
    Spares: 81% picked up

Single Pin spares: 88% (4/6)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (4x)
    Also left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, 4-pin, and 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 71% (5/7)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Average over 3 games: 207.00.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 211.00.

Another 4 out of 4 point night...our team furthers our 1st place position. I have my best series this season, my highest game thus far this season, I win two high game $5 team pots, my average gets back into the 180s, only 3 opens, and I get another clean game. My spare shooting was decent. My ball change choices were sub-par...I usually do better with ball change decision-making. But, still a good night.
    Last edited by Aslan; 11-04-2020 at 08:54 AM.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Kicked my ***.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

Chats: 0

Nice series and stats Aslan.
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

Weekend Charity Tournament: THS

577 Series: 159-172-246

Started off well, but opened on a couple splits and then opened on a couple single pins...and that REALLY got in my head. 9 /, 9 /, X, X, 9 /, X, 7 1, 7 -, 9 -, 9 -.

Game 2 very similar, started off well, then another couple missed single pins and had trouble mentally recovering. X, X, X, 9 -, 9 -, 7 /, - 9, X, 8 /, X - 7.

Game 3 I got out the Fortera Exile, which is the ball I have the most confidence in. Put together a 5-bagger before slightly pulling a shot and leaving a 6-pin. Put another few strikes together before leaving another 6-pin in the 10th....which I barely missed...of course.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.71 pins
    Strikes: 51% (1 5-bagger, 2 turkeys, 1 double, and 3 singles)
    Spares: 40% picked up

Single Pin spares: 44% (4/9)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (5x)
    Also left a single 6-pin and 7-pin (2x).

Multiple Pin spares: 33% (2/6)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: full rack (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/2).

Average over 3 games: 192.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 209.67.

Once again struggled to use the Grudge Hybrid on the fresh. Had to move to the Aura Mystic sooner than I wanted to. Had to jump outside and try the Rhino Gold in Game 2...even though I really didn't want to do that...but I just couldn't get my ball to retain enough energy at my approximately 15mph ball speed....with about 4 other bowlers trying to play the same line.

Getting to Game 3, moving to the Exile, which I had just polished up...and moving a little inside and letting the ball's powerful core do the work...seemed to get me left of the other bowlers that were stuck in the same burnt up track...and gave me a ton of movement downline. Didn't make great shots...a couple weak strikes...a couple Brooklyns...but I was a couple frames away from the front 10 and possibly my 2nd ever non-sanctioned 300.

The mental game needs to improve. Once I miss a single-pin...I can't allow my single-pin shooting % to go from 81% to 41%. And most of them weren't even close.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Week 12

593 Series: 201-169-223 (clean)

Game 1 was average. Got to use the Grudge Hybrid (for a change)...so that was nice. A couple bad shots left me with some tough spares that resulted in two opens. And, when you can only manage doubles, a 201 is all you get: X, X, 8 -, 8 1, X, X, 9 /, X, X, 9 / X.

Took the Aura Mystic out on the last shot of Game 1 and decided to use it for Game 2...but was having a little trouble carrying. So, given my success Sunday with the Fortera Exile...I jumped the gun and moved to the Exile early (frame 5). That led to significant misses right...which meant I either had to abandon the Exile and go to Plan B: get out the Rhino Gold and make a jump right of the track...or I needed to move right with the Exile...which I never usually do.Usually, once the Exile comes out...it's late in the series and I'm essentially "dropping the hammer". So, I decide to stick with the Exile...make my adjustments...which takes about 4 frames to move right and then fine tune left...before striking out for the 169.

Game 3 was just a matter of trying to make good shots while dealing with a knee that was telling me, "Seriously...if you get any lower than you did on that last shot...you're not getting up." But, once again...while the rest of my teammates whined and cried about not being able to deal with the conditions and not being able to carry...I took high game with the Exile: X, X, 9 /, 7 /, X, 7 /, X, X, X, 9 / 8.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.88 pins
    Strikes: 52%
    Spares: 66% picked up

Single Pin spares: 100% (4/4)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (3x)
    Also left a single 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 54% (6/11)

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 197.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: n/a.

Normally you don't see a bold red game, no green or bold green games, and not see a red or bold red series...but the series was 'just' decent enough (when compared to last week) not to warrant a red rating.

But, won $10 in the card game and $10 in high game...and most importantly...we took 3 out of 4 points from the 2nd place team...securing our dominance over the league...at least 9 points ahead of the nearest team by next week.

I remembered something from my coaching about staying down in my stance...and that seemed to help last week and tonight. Unfortunately, my knee is not cooperating. Between a raging case of plantar fasciitis and a knee that nearly gives out if I bend too far and hold the position too long...I'm not sure how long I can keep going before I have to make a doctor's appointment. And, a doctor's appointment likely puts me on the shelf. Last time I had plantar fasciitis, the "cure" from the doctor was 1-3 months rest. And the knee is even more complicated. If I can't lose weight...which has been a losing battle over the last 3 years...they'll be reluctant to do surgery on the knee. I'm not heavy enough to do any kind of surgery to lose the weight. So that just leads to an endless physical therapy which does absolutely nothing except drain money from my bank account and make the rest of my body feel just as carpy as my knee and foot.

Week 13

437 Series: 136-164-137

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 7.70 pins
    Strikes: 33%

Single Pin spares: 80% (4/5)
    Also left a single 3-pin (2x).

Multiple Pin spares: 26% (4/15)
    Most common multi-pin leave: full rack (3x)

Splits: 0% (0/6)

Average over 3 games: 145.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 149.67.

Not much can said that isn't said with the stats.

- We were shut down for a month due to Covid restrictions...so just when I was finding my game..."bamm"...back to square 1.
    - We had to wear masks while we bowled. Not a big deal except I usually wear glasses while I bowl and can't wear glasses with my mask or they fog up...so that didn't help.
    - In addition, my glasses that I had with me...that I use for reading, entering stuff into pinpal, taking notes, etc... Well, the frames broke. So, no reading glasses either.
    - And, my slide foot continues to hurt like hell(o).

But, those are all just excuses. I threw it in the gutter on the 1st ball on 3 shots. I was trying to play about 6-7...and I just wasn't throwing "up and in" enough. If my shoulders weren't squared up when I released...it would be a gutter or so wide that I'd leave some washout or some other must-pin nonsense. Then I'd over-correct and pull the shot through the nose...whammo...6 splits on the night. Couldn't win.

Bowling Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post

Week 13

437 Series: 136-164-137

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 7.70 pins
    Strikes: 33%

Single Pin spares: 80% (4/5)
    Also left a single 3-pin (2x).

Multiple Pin spares: 26% (4/15)
    Most common multi-pin leave: full rack (3x)

Splits: 0% (0/6)

Average over 3 games: 145.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 149.67.

Not much can said that isn't said with the stats.

- We were shut down for a month due to Covid restrictions...so just when I was finding my game..."bamm"...back to square 1.
    - We had to wear masks while we bowled. Not a big deal except I usually wear glasses while I bowl and can't wear glasses with my mask or they fog up...so that didn't help.
    - In addition, my glasses that I had with me...that I use for reading, entering stuff into pinpal, taking notes, etc... Well, the frames broke. So, no reading glasses either.
    - And, my slide foot continues to hurt like hell(o).

But, those are all just excuses. I threw it in the gutter on the 1st ball on 3 shots. I was trying to play about 6-7...and I just wasn't throwing "up and in" enough. If my shoulders weren't squared up when I released...it would be a gutter or so wide that I'd leave some washout or some other must-pin nonsense. Then I'd over-correct and pull the shot through the nose...whammo...6 splits on the night. Couldn't win.
    Yeah, you know it’s a bad night when you leave as many full racks as you do the ten pin.😱
    Sorry about your lack of execution but glad to know you’re otherwise okay. I was beginning to worry that something had happened.
    As for the glasses fogging, as long as you don’t have sensitive skin, you can use masking tape to seal the top edge of the mask to your cheeks. I’ve even heard that some bowlers have even used various types of bowling tape to do this.
    John

Yeah, you know it’s a bad night when you leave as many full racks as you do the ten pin.��
    Sorry about your lack of execution but glad to know you’re otherwise okay. I was beginning to worry that something had happened.
    No...just Round 2 of Covid shutdowns.

As for the glasses fogging, as long as you don’t have sensitive skin, you can use masking tape to seal the top edge of the mask to your cheeks. I’ve even heard that some bowlers have even used various types of bowling tape to do this.
    One thing I've done in hockey and in paintball is apply a layer of soapy liquid or Rain X or an anti-fog spray to the glasses. It works pretty well in far more humid, "fog/condensation" producing environments than I would encounter bowling. It clouds the vision slightly, but not much.

I got used to not wearing the glasses this week. Fortunately I had both eyes done (cataract surgery) a year or so ago which has made my vision decent for distance. Had I not had that surgery, I'd have to wear the glasses or the arrows would be blurry. I ended up taking the mask off for a few shots in game 3 just because it was hurting the back of my ears wearing it the whole night. One of our bowlers wasn't wearing one and most of the guys just had them "on"...not really covering their nose and mouth anyways...so its not like the center was really enforcing it. Hard to sell drinks and also enforce a mask mandate.

Week 14

633 Series: 251-213-169

Game 1 I left a 6-10 on a pulled shot in the 4th...and missed it badly. Ran 6 strikes together before filling the 10th with a 7 /.

Game 2 I was pretty dialed in...just a couple bad shots here and there. Unfortunately both bad shots resulted in splits. I picked up the 3-10 baby split in the 3rd, but completely whiffed the 4-6-7 split in the 7th. Switched to the Fortera Exile in the 9th. Pulled a shot horribly in the 10th to finish with a 6 / 8.

Game 3 the lanes started to really transition faster than they were previously. I think I had transitioned left enough that I was now moving into areas where some of the other bowlers had already played. So, it was an almost constant adjustments left every 1-2 frames...usually after a shot that didn't result in a strike. X, 8 -, X, 9 -, 9 -, X, X, 9 -, X, X, 9 /.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.33 pins
    Strikes: 66%

Single Pin spares: 25% (1/4)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 7-pin (2x)
    Also left a single 2-pin and 5-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 50% (3/6)

Splits: 50% (1/2)

Average over 3 games: 211.00.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 222.33.

Night and day from last week:

- Strike rate: Doubled 33% to 66%
    - Multiple Pin Spares down from 15 to 6.
    - Splits down from 6 to 2 and I actually picked one of the two up.
    - Average over 3 games up over 65 pins. Had I picked up all my single-pins, it would have been up over 70 pins.

Was it all positive? No...not by a long shot.

- The team, while still in 1st place by a good margin, lost 3 out of 4 points.
    - I had a shot of outscoring a PBA50 bowler on the opposing team with my first game...but its hard to beat the pros when you gutter on a 6-10 in the 4th. I think he finished with a 264 or 267.
    - No clean games. Can't fault myself much in Game 2...only open was a 4-6-7 split...which I don't know if I've ever picked up. But Games 1 and 3...those were all VERY makeable spares that were missed.
    - Single-pin spare shooting. It "seemed" worse than it was. Missing the 6-10, a 4-7, a 2-pin, and a couple 7-pins...doesn't sound like much...but it "seemed" like I missed 700 7-pins and 200 10-pins. In my mind...it was an epic tragedy. And I was "pooing the bed" in front of a team of very high level bowlers which only added to the embarassment. It was like rolling a 99-game on TV.

I usually bowl my best when I face the best competition. This team we faced is SO good, they started the year with -1 handicap. I think they currently have 8 pins of handicap. Their averages are 212, 208, 215, 225, and 231. Their anchor is a PBA50 pro who currently has the only 300 this year. Their 4th bowler holds the high scratch series this season with a 782. Their team has the high scratch game of 1200 and high scratch series of 3362. Compare that to our team's season best scratch game of 1077 and best series of 3113. This team would actually have to bowl UNDER their average to bowl our best game of the season. Thats very demotivational when you think about it.

BUT...I looked over my notes...I focused on my technique from set-up through delivery to posting the shot. I put the mechanics back where they needed to be and things fell back in order. I don't know why my corner-pin spare shot alignment was so BADLY off last night...where I was throwing it in the gutter well short of the target...but thank God it was a night I had good carry.
    Last edited by Aslan; 12-23-2020 at 09:57 AM.

Bowling Guru

Yeah those guys with PBA experience, even if they only do regionals, are tough. Thank goodness Tim G. took a job out in Michigan. A number of times I was bowling against him in the local sport league and was ahead through most of the game and he would finish with 4 or 5 in a row. I felt sort of like a mouse being played with by a cat, main difference being I didn’t literally wind up being eaten, more like he took my lunch money.
    John

Page 202 of 225 FirstFirst ... 102152192198199200201202203204205206212 ... LastLast