Page 203 of 225 FirstFirst ... 103153193199200201202203204205206207213 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,030 of 2245

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    As for the glasses fogging, as long as you don’t have sensitive skin, you can use masking tape to seal the top edge of the mask to your cheeks. I’ve even heard that some bowlers have even used various types of bowling tape to do this.
    I've been doing pretty well with the regular paper masks. As long as I keep my head up, Not too much of an issue. When I tip my head down to set my foot, I just tip up and wait a few extra second for the fog to clear.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

High Roller

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Yeah those guys with PBA experience, even if they only do regionals, are tough. Thank goodness Tim G. took a job out in Michigan. A number of times I was bowling against him in the local sport league and was ahead through most of the game and he would finish with 4 or 5 in a row. I felt sort of like a mouse being played with by a cat, main difference being I didn’t literally wind up being eaten, more like he took my lunch money.
    Funny non-related story. Back in the early to mid 90's I owned a bar and played a bit of pool. I was decent but not great. An old man came in looking for the owner. I told him that was me and he asked if I wanted to play a few games cause he heard I was pretty good??? What? I was slightly above average at the time, certainly not someone you'd be trying to hustle. So I said sure. He opens the door and motions for some younger guy to come in. He asks if $5 a game is ok. I say sure. I win the first game. He ups it to $10 a game. Sure. I win again. He asks about $20. Sure. I win again. I know what his game is. He asks about $50. I told him I had to get back to work and maybe some other time....lol
    Arsenal "15# Global Eternity Pi-45x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Xponent-60x4.5x40" "15# 900 Global Zen Soul-60x4.5x40" "15# Roto Grip Idol Helios-90 x 2.25 x 45" "15# 900 Global Altered Reality-50x3.625x30" "15# Brunswick Uppercut-80x3.625x35" "15# Brunswick Igniter-70x5.5x35" "15# Raw Hammer Pearl 45x5.75x40" "15# Brunswick T-Zone"
    Rev Rate about 270 @ about 15.5 MPH at the pins* High Game: 290 - High Series: 733. PAP: 5 1/8"x1" up; tilt 20*, rotation 75*. YTD highs - 290-733
    Oh, and LEFTY!!!

Nice bowling on Tuesday Aslan.
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

Chats: 204

We missed last week due to a blizzard...but we're back in action!!

Tuesday Men's League: THS

Week 15

585 Series: 186-155-244

Game 1 I struggled to get my swing and timing back...mainly leaving spares...but picking them up. In the 5th frame I set off the foul light. I can't remember the last time I had done that. So, the next time I got on that lane, I was cautious...and AGAIN...set off the foul light! I was absolutely adament that I did not cross that line the second time. I didn't think I was even CLOSE. So, the other team agreed to let me complete the frame and give me a 6 - on the last Foul (rather than the - - I had bowled). I finished strong and struck out in the 10th. to salvage the 186.

Game 2 was one of the biggest disasters in recent memory. Started off with a 6-7-10 split. Then..I FOULED AGAIN! But, this time I definitely fouled! Something was wrong with the lane and my heel wasn't braking me on my slide. So, now I felt like garbage because the other team essentially gave me about 6-18 pins in the previous game under the assumption that the foul light was malfunctioning. Now it turns out, maybe I DID foul those other two times. To make matters WORSE...I only had one other open...in the 5th frame. I left a 3-9 sleeper and as I released the ball...noticed the sweep was stuck down. BANG!...right into the sweep. Of course...that shot would have picked up the spare. I attempted another shot and missed badly...of course.

First shot of Game 3 I struck, but it looked like maybe it was time for a ball change to the Fortera Exile. From there I went X, X, X, 9 /, X, X, X, 8 1, X X 9.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.49 pins
    Strikes: 48%
    Spares: 70% picked up

Single Pin spares: 100% (4/4)
    Most common single-pin leaves: n/a

Multiple Pin spares: 61% (8/13)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 2-5 and 3-9 (2x each)

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Average over 3 games: 195.00.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: n/a.

Just a real crazy night. I can't remember the last time I "Fouled"...and tonight I fouled THREE times! And then to throw the ball and hit the sweep arm...which I thought had moved out of the way...but apparently had gotten stuck down. Just a real rough night. It's been a rough season with the intermittent Covid shutdowns and now a week skipped due to bad weather. It's hard to keep your timing and overall game at a high level with these intermittent gaps.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Ringer

missing bowling for a BLIZZARD? How mundane!

btw - as a northerner living in Southern California. . . sssnnnnooooowwwwww. I miss snow

Week 16

466 Series: 158-126-182

Game 1 I decided to stick it out with the Grudge Hybrid and play a more inside line. The 'problem' is...I couldn't get right of the head-pin. Every shot left a 4-pin or 4-9 or went through the nose. And, my spare shooting was horrid...so by the end of of Game 1, I was about 6-7 boards with my eyes and 9-10 boards with my feet left of where I would normally play the lanes...and I STILL wasn't hitting the pocket.

FINALLY...frame 2 of Game 2 I found the pocket. Of course...I wasn't carrying playing that deep...AND I was still in an area where 2-3 players from the other team were playing and probably had burned in a line...so I figured I'd drop down to the Aura Mystic. I had to move 1:2 right...which I expected given how deep I was AND given I just re-did the surface on the Mystic...so it was pretty shiny. But, being that deep...I don't have any miss room. Every shot has to be perfect...has to hit perfect. The slightest release variance or miss and I won't strike. And, again, my spare shooting was horrible.

Game 3 started out great. I had switched to the Fortera Exile in the last frames of Game 2...so I had the ball in my hand I threw the best. Started out X, X, 9 /, X, 9 /, 9 /, X, 8 -, X before pulling a shot in the 10th and leaving a 3-pin...then pulling that shot and slightly missing it to the left...for a disappointing 182.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.75 pins
    Strikes: 31%
    Spares: 40% picked up

Single Pin spares: 44% (4/4)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 4-pin (3x)

Multiple Pin spares: 36% (4/11)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a

Splits: 40% (2/5)

Average over 3 games: 155.33.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 171.33.

Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    missing bowling for a BLIZZARD? How mundane!

btw - as a northerner living in Southern California. . . sssnnnnooooowwwwww. I miss snow
    What I miss about California is:

1. Coaching: Being able to see my coach twice a month where she'd say, "How's your bowling been going?" and I could tell her the struggles I had been dealing with and she could watch me and make corrections...usually little things that were easily noticeable to her trained eye...but would make a world of difference.

2. Practice: I miss living next door to a bowling center...where I could go and bowl 24 hours a day...for $2.50/game...and work on whatever I needed to work on. Not to mention the Saturday night tournament they ran every Saturday which was more of a "fun color-pin" tournament where I could get practice in.

3. Time: I miss being semi-retired where I could bowl in 2 leagues and sub in 2 others. The only thing limiting my bowling was the fact that if I bowled any more than that I wouldn't have time for any other activities and my knee would fall apart.

Now...I bowl once a week in one league. I have neither the time nor money for practice. Even if I could talk one of the local pros into coaching me...I don't have the time nor money to sink into that right now. Much less, I'm hopefully going to be getting a new job and moving sometime this year. I got teammates that don't don't know much of anything about adjustments or ball technology offering to lend my DVDs to help me with my fundamentals...when they can't tell you why they throw the ball they throw...where they throw it...or what in my "fundamentals" is causing an issue. I ball down to the Mystic due to oil breakdown and the teammate looks at the ball and says, "Oh, okay, yeah...pin down...thats a better choice." Pin down doesn't even matter!! It's literally one of the least important aspects of ball dynamics...proven by the USBC! Not to mention, he's not taking into account that the Mystic is far weaker than the ball I just put back in my bag...due to about 5-7 other ball-specific factors that have nothing to do with drilling!

The same guy that is telling me this...in Game 3...went 9 /, 9 /, 9 /, 7 /, 9 /, 8 1, 9 /, X, 9 /, 9/9. And the strike went through the nose! It was clear he was using the wrong ball...but he wasn't going to get off that line...he wasn't going to change the way he was throwing it...and his understanding of ball dynamics was limited to what he learned working in a pro shop for a couple years drilling balls. My whole team is like this. They all have been bowling forever...they stay on the same 5-7 board area...and have 2-3 balls that they randomly switch to based on whether they are striking. They can't explain anything. They just DO it...because they've always done it that way. Their only coaching ability is to say..."here, watch me...do it like this." Oh, roll the ball up 2nd arrow? I never thought of that!!

Today I hate bowling SO much.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Ringer

I hear ya

BTW - bowling for $2.50 a game? Wish I could find a center where I could do that. Heck - right now, I just wish I could find a center where I can BOWL.

But you still get armchair experts here. I average 50 pins more than a certain guy but he still wants to give me advice . . . LOL

Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    I hear ya

BTW - bowling for $2.50 a game? Wish I could find a center where I could do that. Heck - right now, I just wish I could find a center where I can BOWL.
    I can find plenty of places to bowl, but the prices have gone up considerably:

My best bet is a small, wood lane center not too far away that does $3.50/game on Tues/Wed/Thurs...but only between 10:00AM and 4:00PM.

The local center is $4.25/game + tax, Mon-Thurs noon-6PM.

There's a center that is a bit of drive that is $5.80/game Mon-Fri, noon-5:30PM. They have specials 9:30PM to midnight where you can bowl for $2.50...but it'd be bowling in the dark on burnt up lanes.

The best place to practice is the best center in the area; they have $2.50 games 11:00AM -4:00PM Mon-Fri. BUT, they are on the other side of Des Moines...a good 30 minute drive.

The place I bowl leagues is even further away...and it's $21.99/hour for a lane. They have $2/game bowling on Tuesday nights for league bowlers...but its literally for an hour after our league ends on burnt conditions.

The best bet on a weekend...given I have a job...is the wood lanes center that has $4/game rates all weekend long. It's not $2.50...but it's the best rate I can get on a weekend. And, maybe I can develop a relationship with the staff there and get a practice time where I have something that resembles fresh oil rather than burnt conditions from the night before.

Week 17

647 Series: 211-241 (clean)-195

Quickly switched to the Aura Mystic in Game 1. Wasn't gonna make the same mistake as last week trying to force the Grudge Hybrid on lanes that just don't seem to have enough oil on them. Took me 2-6 frames to get adjusted and to stop missing right of my target...but once I got dialed in, it was smooth sailing:
    8 /, X, 9 /, X, 6 -, 7 /, 9 /, X, X, X X X.

Continued to have trouble missing right at the beginning of Game 2, and decided to switch to the Fortera Exile after a weak pocket hit in the 5th frame. The ball change seemed to work: 8 /, 6 /, X, X, 9 /, X, X, X, X, X 8 -.

Things started transitioning a bit faster in Game 3. I probably should have made bigger moves left...but I was timid; trying not to move too far left, too fast. That just left me hitting weak constantly. I had things figured out by the 6th frame and was playing a much more open line than usual. The Exile is my best ball...and I trust it to come back. Granted, on the 2nd shot in the 10th I made a terrible shot and tossed it in the gutter...which was embarrassing...but, the team had the 3 points well in hand at that point so the only damage was to my pride.
    9 /, 9 /, X, 9 /, 7 2, X, 9 /, X, X, X - /.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.91 pins
    Strikes: 55%
    Spares: 80% picked up

Single Pin spares: 100% (7/7)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (3x)

Multiple Pin spares: 62% (5/8)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Average over 3 games: 215.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: n/a

Obviously, a huge improvement over last week. Actually, my best performance of the season. And, it was against one of the better teams. It wasn't perfect...I made some bad shots. But, I made my makable spares and I was around the pocket all night. This is what I should be bowling like given the work I've put into the game. This is why its so frustrating when I go out and throw a 155 or 126 game and can't seem to make even 50% of my single-pin spares. Because I KNOW I am capable of doing better...I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

One difference tonight, aside from playing up to the competition, is that I remembered to increase my foot speed as I approached the foul line. I had been working on getting lower...gradually...keeping my slide leg on the ground...but increasing my footwork and speed in my final 3 steps. I had forgotten that until recently. Just one of those many "little things" that makes a world of difference in the timing/approach combination.

Continuing to like the Fortera Exile. I can't see why so many people spoke negatively of it. The ball is smooth down the lane and just hooks nicely into the pocket with very nice carry. Doesn't seem nearly as "jumpy" as the Melee Jab was. Kind've reminds me of my Scandal Pearl or my Loaded Revolver. Sort of like a poor man's Reaxx Pearl. Smoother than the Reaxx Pearl and more controllable...but maybe not as strong or powerful into the pocket.

Team took 3 out of 4...remain easily in 1st place.
    Last edited by Aslan; 01-20-2021 at 12:23 AM.

Pin Crusher

Nice 647!
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

Week 18

561 Series: 151-163-247 (clean)

Struggled to carry in Game 1 with the Aura Mystic. Just seemed like the ball didn't have energy when it hit the pocket. I'd leave 4-pin and/or 9-pin leaves...move a little left...and hit weak. The result was telling me the lanes were drier than usual and the Aura Mystic was losing energy. The problem was...I was reluctant to switch to the Fortera Exile in Game 1...and reluctant to switch to the Rhino Gold. Playing scared.

Game 2 I finally switched to the Rhino Gold. Not a ball I usually use...but the lanes just seemed drier than usual and I didn't want to move to the Fortera Exile early in Game 2. The problem with the move to the Rhino Gold was execution. Too many misses well right with a ball that just isn't going to come back strong...and paying the maximum penalty when I did make a bad shot...in terms of washouts and splits. Finally, in frame 7 I left a 6-pin on a pocket hit...after striking with that same shot in the 5th...and decided it was time to bring out the closer. Once the Fortera Exile showed up: X, 8 /, X X X.

Started off with a 7-pin leave...which I wasn't sure if that was a sign I might need to move or just a bad rack. Then a nice shot in the 2nd and left a single 9-pin. But, I made a 1:1 move left on both lanes and it was smooth sailing until a bad shot in the 8th went well right of target.
    9 /, 9 /, X, X, X, X, X, 9 /, X, X 9 /.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.91 pins
    Strikes: 42%
    Spares: 68% picked up

Single Pin spares: 100% (10/10)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 2-pin, 4-pin, 9-pin, 10-pin (2x each)
    Also left a single 6-pin and 7-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 33% (3/9)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 4-6-7 split (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 3 games: 187.00.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: n/a

Certainly a disappointment in that it took the better part of 2 games to figure things out. But, I gotta look at things "bigger picture":

1. In the last 5 weeks; I was over my average 4 out of 5 of those weeks.

2. I've thrown a 240+ game 4 out of the last 5 weeks.

3. In the last 5 weeks, I'm 26 for 34 (76%) on single-pin spares...but in 3 of the 5 weeks...I was 21 for 21 (100%).

4. Our team hasn't been as dominant lately...BUT...we are still in 1st place and we've still yet to be swept by any team this season. We're still at LEAST 8 points ahead of the nearest team. And, we've been in 1st place the entire season.

Page 203 of 225 FirstFirst ... 103153193199200201202203204205206207213 ... LastLast