Page 208 of 226 FirstFirst ... 108158198204205206207208209210211212218 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,080 of 2253

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Summer Duos League: THS, dry conditions

525 Series: 204-156-165

Didn't seem too bad of a game. But, once I lost my line with the Optimus Solid...it took me a few frames to adjust to the ball change.
    9 /, X, 9 /, X, X, 9 /, 9 /, 8 1, 7 /, X X 9.

Game 2 collapsed. I was really struggling to adjust to my opponents throwing polyester balls and pushing oil down the lane.
    X, 9 /, 7 1, X, 8 1, 9 /, X, 7 -, X, 9 /9.

By Game 3, I had switched to the Force Pearl. I thought that was the perfect ball change...but seemed like I was too far inside.
    X, 8 /, 8 1, 9 /, 9 /, 9 /, X, 9 /, 8 /, 6 -.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.91 pins
    Strikes: 33%
    Spares: 70% picked up

Single Pin spares: 100% (11/11)
    Most common single-pin leave: 6-pin and 10-pin (3x each)
    Also left a single 4-pin, 7-pin, and 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 33% (3/9)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 2-5 (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/4)

Average over 3 games: 175.00.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: n/a

Well, I always say that I'll never complain if I'm perfect on my single-pin spare shooting...and tonight I was 11 for 11. So, I'm a man of my word and I won't complain.

The league still sucks. We finally got league recap sheets tonight. I finally got an envelope. The stats on the recap sheet were wrong. And the league coordinator wants us to bowl 6 games next week to close out the league next week. That should be interesting given how dry the lanes are normally.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post

525 Series: 204-156-165

Didn't seem too bad of a game. But, once I lost my line with the Optimus Solid...it took me a few frames to adjust to the ball change.
    9 /, X, 9 /, X, X, 9 /, 9 /, 8 1, 7 /, X X 9.

Game 2 collapsed. I was really struggling to adjust to my opponents throwing polyester balls and pushing oil down the lane.
    X, 9 /, 7 1, X, 8 1, 9 /, X, 7 -, X, 9 /9.

By Game 3, I had switched to the Force Pearl. I thought that was the perfect ball change...but seemed like I was too far inside.
    X, 8 /, 8 1, 9 /, 9 /, 9 /, X, 9 /, 8 /, 6 -.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.91 pins
    Strikes: 33%
    Spares: 70% picked up

Single Pin spares: 100% (11/11)
    Most common single-pin leave: 6-pin and 10-pin (3x each)
    Also left a single 4-pin, 7-pin, and 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 33% (3/9)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 2-5 (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/4)

Average over 3 games: 175.00.

Well, I always say that I'll never complain if I'm perfect on my single-pin spare shooting...and tonight I was 11 for 11. So, I'm a man of my word and I won't complain.

The league still sucks. We finally got league recap sheets tonight. I finally got an envelope. The stats on the recap sheet were wrong. And the league coordinator wants us to bowl 6 games next week to close out the league next week. That should be interesting given how dry the lanes are normally.
    So your summer league ends the first official week of summer? Or does “close out the league next week” mean something other than what I think it does?
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    So your summer league ends the first official week of summer? Or does “close out the league next week” mean something other than what I think it does?
    I have no friggin clue. This is what I get for trying to be "fair". I only joined the league because I felt bad about leaving the Tuesday league after 3 weeks. And my "reward" was to get in a league that apparently only lasted though June, didn't have recap sheets until this past week...the recap sheets were wrong...and I didn't get an envelope until I asked for one "again" this past week. Welcome to non-sanctioned leagues and why I don't usually bowl in them.

Tuesday Pepsi Master's Trios: THS

Week 7

771 Series: 192-178-163-184

Starting off with two straight opens didn't help...but I recovered to salvage a game above my average.
    7 2, 6 3, X, X, 8 /, 8 /, 9 /, X, 9 /, X X 9.

I switched to the Yeah Baby Sinful, but finally missed my first single-pin in quite awhile in the 7th frame. Made a terrible error on the final shot when I only needed to pick up 2 of 4 pins (shooting at a 3-6-9-10) to win my point...and I THOUGHT I had the point wrapped up...so I just tossed the ball towards the right side...not really caring what I hit...and it went in the gutter. I list the match 179-178.
    8 1, 5 /, 9 /, X, 9 /, X, 8 /, 8 /, X, 8 / X.

Game 3 I switched to the Special Ops and moved way inside. I struggled with the single pins..missing a 10-pin early...then chopping a 3-6-10. I was able to recover and keep things largely clean until a missed 4-pin in the 9th. Once again, I went into the 10th frame needing to simply pick up my 1-2-8-9 and I would win my match. Instead, I chopped it and lost AGAIN by 1 pin: 164-163.
    9 -, 7 2, 8 /, X, 7 /, X, 8 /, 8 /, 9 -, X 6 3.

I stuck it out with the Special Ops rather than switching to the Force Pearl...but decided to move back towards the track. I was just too far inside and had no real line to play. I only opened once...a chopped 6-10 in the 6th...but could only manage two strikes in the first 9 frames. AGAIN I was heading into the 10th frame and it was coming down to the wire. My opponent missed his single-pin spare and opened. I struck on my first ball. He finished with a 185 and I had a 167 in the 9th plus the strike in the 10th. My next shot I left a 4-6-7 split (of course) and FOR SOME REASON figured I had to pick it up in order to tie. OBVIOUSLY, I did the math wrong in my head and only needed two pins to win. I threw a backup ball at the 4-7...but missed them and ended up losing 185-184. MY THIRD STRAIGHT loss by ONE POINT!!
    8 /, 9 /, 7 /, X, X, 8 1, 9 /, 6 /, 9 /, X 7 -.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.67 pins
    Strikes: 35%
    Spares: 60% picked up

Single Pin spares: 72% (8/11)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 4-pin (4x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, 7-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 52% (9/17)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 6-10 (3x)

Splits: 33% (1/3)

Average over 3 games: 179.25.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 187.00.

My lowest series in the league thus far. I could have taken all 5 of my individual match points...having lost 3 of the 4 head-to-head games by only 1 pin. That really hurts...especially when 2 of the 3 were lost at least in part due to miscalculations and me not realizing what I needed to do to win the point. No excuse for that. My fall team wouldn't let me make that mistake (if it were team points on the line...fall isn't head-to-head format)...they'd 'gently remind me' before I go up in the 10th frame or take a second shot, "Hey, we need count."

Just, really disappointed in my spare shooting after going 11 for 11 Monday. Really frustrated that I couldn't play the inside line with the Special Ops. I want to develop 3 lines and be able to open up the lanes more...play the track, play outside, and play inside...but I just can't seem to get the inside line to work consistently. And, it's always a bummer when you throw your worst series of the season...first time in this league where I average below 180.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post

Just, really disappointed in my spare shooting after going 11 for 11 Monday. Really frustrated that I couldn't play the inside line with the Special Ops. I want to develop 3 lines and be able to open up the lanes more...play the track, play outside, and play inside...but I just can't seem to get the inside line to work consistently. And, it's always a bummer when you throw your worst series of the season...first time in this league where I average below 180.
    When you move inside what is the problem?does the ball not make the turn? Do you have more trouble hitting your mark?

Guys who like to go straight often have problems hitting their mark/sending the ball off at the correct angle. Sometimes it’s just the shoulders and hips don’t open up or stay open enough. Some times when we move our feet left, we walk back toward our target. Some times we’re so worried about the ball getting back to the pocket we yank the heck out of it.

Do you try to use less ball speed when you play inside?
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    When you move inside what is the problem?does the ball not make the turn? Do you have more trouble hitting your mark?

Guys who like to go straight often have problems hitting their mark/sending the ball off at the correct angle. Sometimes it’s just the shoulders and hips don’t open up or stay open enough. Some times when we move our feet left, we walk back toward our target. Some times we’re so worried about the ball getting back to the pocket we yank the heck out of it.

Do you try to use less ball speed when you play inside?
    I'm not really sure.

Originally I was taught to walk straight and keep my shoulders open. But, that didn't work.
    Then I was taught to walk toward the target...which seems to work better...but not well.
    Some people say it's a matter of needing to change targeting...some say I need to drop my speed.

I don't know. I gotta decide when I need to get back to coaching.

607 Series: 156-264 (clean)-187

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.00 pins
    Strikes: 54%
    Spares: 53% picked up

Single Pin spares: 71% (5/7)
    Most common single-pin leave: 4-pin and 10-pin (3x each)
    Also left a single 2-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 37% (3/8)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Average over 3 games: 202.33.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 208.67.

One good game sandwiched between two "ho-hum" games.

---------------------------------------

MAKE-UP for Memorial Day

541 Series: 147-224-170

Game 1 was rough because we switched lanes and didn't get any practice shots to figure out where the line was. Took me about 4 frames to find it.

Game 2 I was a 6-7-10 split in the 8th frame away from second clean game and a second 230+ game.

Game 3 I struck every shot on the right lane and not only DIDN'T strike on the first 4 shots on the left lane...but I OPENED on the first 4 shots on the left lane! And 3 of the 4 were single pins! Two 10-pins and a 7-pin! Made a desperate adjustment in the 10th and struck out to salvage the 170.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.82 pins
    Strikes: 52%
    Spares: 43% picked up

Single Pin spares: 42% (3/7)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (4x)
    Also left a single 7-pin and 2-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 44% (4/9)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 6-10 (3x)

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games:180.33.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 196.33.

Just miserable spare shooting.

Week 8

800 Series: 158-217-226-199

Knew I was probably using the wrong ball...but in a 4-game series, I didn't want to make a ball change too early. So, I moved my target out a bit...which messed up my timing and accuracy a bit and caused me to miss right on 4 out of 5 shots. Finally, in the 6th frame, I changed to the ball I probably should have started with.
    X, - /, 6 3, 6 2, 7 /, X, 9 /, X, 7 /, 6 3.

The Yeah Baby Sinful was actually working well...up and in, up the 7-8 board. I struck in the 6th, but it was weak enough that I decided to switch to the Special Ops. Not 100% sure the Special Ops was much better, but I did okay. Only open was a 6-7-10 split in the 5th.
    8 /, X, X, X, 7 2, X, X, 6 /, 9 /, X X 7.

The Special Ops hit the pocket in the 4th and left a wobbling 8-pin. It wobbled so much that the camera counted it as a strike. I actually thought it was a strike. Anyways, that weak pocket hit prompted a switch to the Force Pearl.
    X, 7 /, X, 9 -, X, X, X, 9 /, X, X X 9.

Made a couple bad shots early on...but recovered well enough to almost come back and beat my opponent that started out with the front 4. Once AGAIN...I had a shot at taking a point...all I needed to do was knock down the 7-pin...but instead, not knowing how close the score was, I shot at the 10-pin and missed it. I lose 200-199. Fourth out of the last 8 games I lost by one point.
    9 /, 8 1, X, 8 1, X, X, X, X, X, 8 -.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.75 pins
    Strikes: 54%
    Spares: 55% picked up

Single Pin spares: 80% (4/5)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 8-pin (2x)
    Also left a single 4-pin, 9-pin, and 10-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 46% (6/13)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 2-4-5 (2x)

Splits: 25% (1/4)

Average over 3 games: 200.00.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 203.00.

Went from my lowest series of the season last week to my highest series of the season this week. I wish I could have put together a better game...I mean, not one game in the 230+ range and not one clean game...and obviously there was the sub-160 disaster. I'm not gonna blame four splits or anything like that...because I honestly got some lucky strikes. At least there is some hope that I can put together an 800+ series going forward.

Week 9

715 Series: 160-149-188-218

Too much surface leads to hitting the pocket with no carry. And, then there was just **** poor spare shooting. I should have never even started with the Optimus Solid...but in a 4-game series...I didn't want to switch to the YBS too soon...so...I spent the first 6 frames treading water miserably.
    9 -, 9 /, 9 -, X, 9 -, 6 1, X, 8 /, 9 /, X X 9.

Again...the YBS with an 800 Siaair surface...means having to loft the ball out to the target a bit more than I'm comfortable with...which means missing my target right and then pulling it left...and the line I was playing was just too tight. Given the high RG of the ball, I didn't have any miss room right...and there was no miss room inside playing straight at the pocket up the 10-12 board.
    X, 8 1, X, 7 1, 8 /, X, 6 -, 9 /, 9 /, 7 / 7.

After two more frames of misery, I finally had enough and made the move to the Special Ops. Not my favorite ball. Thus far a huge disappointment...but using these balls with all this surface just wasn't working...so time to give something polished a try. By the 10th frame, it was clear I needed to get the Pyramid Force out.
    7 /, 7 2, X, 8 -, X, X, X, 9 /, 9 /, X 7 1.

With the "Grey Ball of Fire" out...I finally felt like 'maybe' I had a chance to salvage a good game.
    X, X, X 6 3, X, X, X, 9 -, X, X 7 /.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.84 pins
    Strikes: 44%
    Spares: 47% picked up

Single Pin spares: 60% (6/10)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (4x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 4-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 38% (5/13)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 3-6-10 (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 3 games: 178.75.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 189.25.

I just resurfaced my equipment and it seems like the 1000 surface on the Optimus Solid and 800 surface on the Yeah Baby Sinful...and the line I'm playing...or trying to line up and play...the ball just isn't retaining enough energy. When I try to move inside, I just don't have the hand to get the angle and it doesn't seem to carry either. And this creates a problem in a 4-game series...because I can't spend 4 games playing with a polished Special Ops that has thus far been very underwhelming...and waiting for carry down so I can pull out the Force Pearl. I need to figure out how to use balls that are solid and have some surface and allow me to move a bit inside. And, thus far, I haven't figured out how to do that.

Week 10

784 Series: 201-202-158-223

Again, too much surface on the Optimus Solid. At least this time I didn't wait around and try to use it anyways. Switched to the Yeah Baby Sinful in the 4th frame.
    9 /, 9 /, 9 /, 6 /, X, X, 9 /, X, 8 1, X X X.

The YBS seemed to be doing well, but I started to lose that carry about midway through Game 2 and decided to switch to the Special Ops in the 7th frame.
    9 /, X, X, X, X, 9 /, 7 2, 9 -, 7 2, X X 9.

Switched to the Pyramid Force Pearl after 5 frames. But, a combination of bad shots, splits, bad spare shooting, and just bad carry made Game 3 a total loss.
    9 /, 9 /, X, 7 2, 9 /, 9 /, 7 1, X, 9 -, 9 / 9.

As usual, with a full game of the Force Pearl, I usually do well.
    X, 9 -, X, X, X, 9 /, 8 / , 8 /, X, X X X.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.17 pins
    Strikes: 46%
    Spares: 65% picked up

Single Pin spares: 80% (12/15)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (9x)
    Also left a single 4-pin, 5-pin, 7-pin (2x), and 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 37% (3/8)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 196.00.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 203.75.

Just didn't have the carry tonight. I'm somewhat happy about my single-pin spare shooting...but not that I had to shoot so dang many!

Open Bowling: Upper Michigan

Aslan vs. His Uncle

Synthetic Overlay: THS (dry)

159-139-176

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 7.91 pins
    Strikes: 21%
    Spares: 56% picked up

Single Pin spares: 100% (6/6)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (2x)
    Also left single 4-pin, 5-pin, 6-pin, and 7-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 41% (7/17)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2-8 (3x).

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 3 games: 158.00.

Given that the lanes weren't likely oiled since league night 24 hours earlier...I decided to just start with the Force Pearl and assume the lanes were wore down and carry down was at the breakpoint. I probably shouldn't have assumed this...and wouldn't have had I had practice time...but given the facts of the situation and no practice time...it seemed most logical.

Mostly it was just not a forgiving environment and I wasn't making great shots. A miss right...even a small miss wasn't likely to carry. ANY miss left and it was through the nose. With more experience at the center...or time to practice at the center...I could have found a line that might have played better...I just didn't have the opportunity.

The competition was a hollow victory. I think I ended up winning easily 474-365. Originally I was told to bring my bowling balls because my uncle wanted me to bowl against my niece...a former college bowler. But, she was unavailable and we were on a tight schedule...so I challenged him and he reluctantly accepted.

It was a hollow victory. He, along with my grandfather, was one of the reasons I started bowling. He used to easily average in the 190s and that was back when balls weren't what they are today and lane conditions weren't as easy. But, age eventually catches us all...and now he can't average 160 and it's pretty much all physical.

I never bowl well on open bowling conditions. My progression is designed to attack fresh conditions and adapt as the conditions break down. To just "jump into" conditions that have been bowled on 'willy nilly'...without enough practice time to figure out where I am in my progression...leaves me bowling blind.

In addition, we had just came back from a funeral and neither of us were in the best state of mind to be bowling. Kinda just, going through the motions. I think he knew he was going to lose and was just hoping for a miracle. I knew I was going to win and was just hoping it would be close enough that he wouldn't feel too bad about it. Maybe one of these days I can make it up there and bowl his niece (on my Aunt's side of the family...not my sister)...and I'm sure she'll take me out with ease...especially on her home court.

Two points:

1. If your "progression" only works on fresh conditions (sometimes), wouldn't it be beneficial for you to learn to make other kinds of adjustments?

2. Until you finally accept that carry down has little to no affect on modern reactive resin bowling balls, you will not get to where you want to be.

You are living proof that holding on to old bowling beliefs that are no longer true is a detriment to achieving your goals. I say this only because I consider you to be my friend, and I would really like to see you achieve your bowling potential.

Rob

Page 208 of 226 FirstFirst ... 108158198204205206207208209210211212218 ... LastLast