Page 2 of 225 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Thanks for coming out Aslan! I had a great time. Don't let that other team fool you. That old dude consistantly rolls in the 200's. I just want to bowl my best and have fun. I'm so happy to be able to bowl! The lanes are tough at Carter and so much different than the wood at Concourse. You'll go back to Concourse at kick ***, watch.
    Yeah, I'm SO looking forward to next week...and one of the reasons is...I want to see what those other teams actually can bowl. I don't want to whine about sandbagging after shooting an 87 in my 3rd game...but as I looked around that alley...I saw guys with half their balls ending up in the gutter, I saw people trying to bowl left handed or doing the in between the legs rolls...and you're right...that round guy in the red shirt on the other team...he AIN'T missing that many spares starting next week!! You could TELL he was just half-butt throwing it.

I have a LEGITIMATE excuse that Thursday was my FIRST night bowling at Carter....and literally the 4th time I've rolled on synthetic lane surfaces since getting that ball. So, it was a big adjustment in not only where I stand and where I aim...I also had to start my approach with the ball lower and chop my backswing by 1/4 to 1/2...and my speed. Normally I throw a 16-17mph ball...but on those lanes, I was being so careful, I looked up and saw ball speeds ranging from 12.5 to 14.9.

But...the 3 games of practice really helped. Starting location fixed, approach fixed, target optimized, and my speed is back closer to 16mph...which "feels" better. I was SO afraid that my ball wouldn't come back...I would NOT move left of center. And I just can't play that way. Thats why I kept having them "barely" fall right...into the gutter. I'm not used to throwing along those right 10 boards like that....I'm not precise enough to hug that gutter.

So I'm good now...excited to start throwing better now that it "counts".
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

I know, the team next to us wasn't even being subtle about it. I heard one of them yell out, "Now use your left hand, ha, ha, ha!"

We were giving them like hundred pins last season! So the handicapping thing doesn't work when you cheat. We'll see how they do against us scratch. That's what I look at. Bring it on!

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    and you're right...that round guy in the red shirt on the other team...he AIN'T missing that many spares starting next week!! You could TELL he was just half-butt throwing it.

He, he. You're right! Normally his follow through is "Ooops I coulda had a V8." No kidding! He literally bonks himself in the forehead. Last night he wasn't following through like he normally does! I guess he remembered his V8!

But seriously, they're good people. You cracked me up when you said something about his nephew. You were just being matter of fact but it was funny.

I know, the team next to us wasn't even being subtle about it. I heard one of them yell out, "Now use your left hand, ha, ha, ha!"

We were giving them like hundred pins last season! So the handicapping thing doesn't work when you cheat. We'll see how they do against us scratch. That's what I look at. Bring it on!
    I KNOW!! I don't mind a team maybe not bringing their "A-Game" week 1...but for Chrissake...it's pretty pathetic when you look over and and you got one guy bowling opposite handed and the other team next to them just dropping it in the gutter and laughing. I feel bad for any team that had a good week. I mean, what a kick in the groin for a 130 bowler to almost crack 200...and instead of being proud and happy...their team is doomed.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Got knocked out of the poker tournament kinda fast today...so the positive is I got a couple series in on synthetic lanes in Temecula.

Based on what I learned practicing after leagues on Thursday, I ended up lining up around boards 28-31...aiming 3rd arrow in from the right (boards 14-16). Hopefully I'm describing this correctly.

422 Series: 130-129-163

By the end of the series, I was starting about 5 boards right...aiming at board 15 (3rd triangle from the right). The ball just was NOT hooking on the backend. A "little" flare...but nothing much really. I tried just slowing down the delivery/shortening the backswing...but the stupid lanes, their speedometer for those lanes wasn't working. It was reading like 23-27mph...and believe me...I was throwing probably closer to 13mph.

After the 4th game being another 130...I just got frustrated and started firing it down there...but then I collected myself and though, "why don't you just throw a half a game the way your coach told you to....throw pride out the window...forget all the stuff you read and see on the internet...and just simplify the game. 2 strikes in a row. And I even picked up a couple spares. So I bought a 6th game...just rolled the way my coach told me to...nothing fancy...and scored my best game of the day.

455 Series: 130-145-180

No hook though. Not sure if my release and follow-through aren't getting it done...if it's the very oily synthetic lanes of Temecula...or if after 85-135 games...the ball is just an oil soaked, round piece of resin. I hate to think a ball only lasts 3 months though. My coach says he changes balls once a year...which I guess I can see. But once every 3 months seems ridiculous. I'll have it baked and refinished probably mid-October...maybe that'll help.

Chats: 17

Balls should last more than 3 months. I been using my Brunswick ball since November 2012 and it still kicks em. Just regular cleaning is all I do. I have heard (rumors) that Storm balls don't last that long. I only have one Storm Ball (an ROP) but it doesn't get used very often. What Storm balls are in your bag? your profile doesn't say anything but "storm".

Normally I throw a 16-17mph ball...but on those lanes, I was being so careful, I looked up and saw ball speeds ranging from 12.5 to 14.9.
    I don't think you can really count on the ball speed "radars" being accurate at different centers. I seroiusly doubt they ever calibrate them. We bowled at three different centers a couple of weekends ago and our "registered" ball speeds varied significantly from one place to another.

A quite decent round of practice. Felt good to be back on wood lanes. Simplified things...and it paid off. I think I'm ready for leagues on Thursday!

459 Series: 165-145-149

then

509 Series: 184-146-179

Kinda bummed that I didn't hit 525 with that last series. Was real close. But, spare shooting was improved and I felt confident. And I probably would have done better...but I had dillwads to the left and right of me that didn't understand bowling etiquette...so 1/3 of the time during the last 5 games I had some pre-teen idiot walking up and chucking their ball during my backswing.

A quite decent round of practice.

459 Series: 165-145-149

then

509 Series: 184-146-179

Woo! I'm throwin' rocks tonight!! Mark it Dude!

Woo! I'm throwin' rocks tonight!! Mark it Dude!
    I wonder what their averages were. I'm thinking Donnie 157, the Dude 119, and Walter 179. Smokey...123...The Jesus....189.

Page 2 of 225 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast