Page 43 of 226 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393143 ... LastLast

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Hampe View Post
    Hey Aslan, just a tip for the plastic spare ball struggles you're having lately:

Find your own lines. What your coach tells you works for him, and probably numerous other people, but doesn't mean it will work for you. Find your own lines for each single pin that are comfortable for you to play. My coach told me to stand at X board and shoot at the middle arrow for the 10 pin, which kind of worked, but had me way closer to the ball return than I was comfortable with. Take the time to find your own lines (took me about 6 months to get all my spare lines sorted out and consitent)..... it's worth it.
    I agree with this 100%. Everybody is different and what works for one may not work for another. I had been throwing my left side spares all the way across the lanes almost lofting the gutter cap on 7 pins. A few people kind of made fun of it and my coach said I should try a different line tried a few different things nothing worked couldn't hit them at all finally went back to what worked I'm at about 80% since going back may look weird but its effective.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Quote Originally Posted by Hampe View Post
    Hey Aslan, just a tip for the plastic spare ball struggles you're having lately:

Find your own lines. What your coach tells you works for him, and probably numerous other people, but doesn't mean it will work for you. Find your own lines for each single pin that are comfortable for you to play. My coach told me to stand at X board and shoot at the middle arrow for the 10 pin, which kind of worked, but had me way closer to the ball return than I was comfortable with. Take the time to find your own lines (took me about 6 months to get all my spare lines sorted out and consitent)..... it's worth it.
    I agree 100 percent with Hampe! I hate to repeat myself, but its fun! Coaches and coaching can vary a heck of a lot. I know a few coaches at the new lanes where I bowl, ,,,,, , that give opposite views on such fundamental things as BALL release!

MAYBE, just maybe you have been to so many different coaches, (each with their own unique coaching views), that you are confused! Sort of like Robbie The Robot in "Forbidden Planet", when he is ask to destroy a human!

Iceman is not a Coach, but one thing I am good at is seeing potential! YOU GOT IT! Stick with ONE ,,, ONE coach and see if it doesn't help your game. Conflicting VIEWS, in your analytical mind causes nerd conflicts!!!

NERD CONFLICTS can lead to more serious problems, STOP, seeing so many Coaches and stick WITH ONE! Before its too late!!!
    Nerd Conflicts can lead to more serious problems such as erectile dysfunction!

If that coach can't bring YOU up to a 200 average, SUE HIM/HER, for breach of Coaching!!

Hope this helps.... good luck!
    Last edited by MICHAEL; 10-29-2014 at 10:44 AM.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    Well there is a bit of good news.

On your week off we managed to win 4 of 5 points.
    On your 2nd week off we managed to win 3 of 5 points.

They said next week they are using some pattern related to Dick Weber.

They didn't have a picture of a pattern, just one of DW..

Someone said they found it online, and it looks like a heap of oil.
    Last edited by Mike White; 11-02-2014 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post
    I agree 100 percent with Hampe! I hate to repeat myself, but its fun! Coaches and coaching can vary a heck of a lot. I know a few coaches at the new lanes where I bowl, ,,,,, , that give opposite views on such fundamental things as BALL release!

MAYBE, just maybe you have been to so many different coaches, (each with their own unique coaching views), that you are confused! Sort of like Robbie The Robot in "Forbidden Planet", when he is ask to destroy a human!

Iceman is not a Coach, but one thing I am good at is seeing potential! YOU GOT IT! Stick with ONE ,,, ONE coach and see if it doesn't help your game. Conflicting VIEWS, in your analytical mind causes nerd conflicts!!!

NERD CONFLICTS can lead to more serious problems, STOP, seeing so many Coaches and stick WITH ONE! Before its too late!!!
    Nerd Conflicts can lead to more serious problems such as erectile dysfunction!

If that coach can't bring YOU up to a 200 average, SUE HIM/HER, for breach of Coaching!!

Hope this helps.... good luck!
    Unfortunately, there is not one cure for anyone's problems. That's the beauty of going to clinics. Coaches may tell bowlers five different things in five different ways, but one of them will sink in. The others aren't wrong, they just didn't get through to the bowler. When I told you that it's a good idea to notice where you are lining up with your left foot, it could have been said, like "line up with your left foot here," or "notice where your left foot starts because that's the foot you slide with", or "what the hell are you doing, not looking down at the approach when you start?" All said the same thing in several different ways. You're right... stick with one coach. The one that makes sense to you. It doesn't make everyone else wrong, just different.

Chats: 204

On your 2nd week off we managed to win 3 of 5 points.

They said next week they are using some pattern related to Dick Weber.

They didn't have a picture of a pattern, just one of DW..

Someone said they found it online, and it looks like a heap of oil.
    Yeah, it was supposed to be the USBC 39'but the mechanic there said he couldn't find that particular pattern for the machine or something like that so he recommended the Dick Weber pattern which I guess is close. If it's like that USBC pattern...it's a LOT of oil in the middle and fronts. Still looked like some dry to the outside though. Kinda like the Cheetah...it's deceptive because it's so short you figure your ball is going to dart left...but the oil is so heavy in the fronts that it doesn't start biting till way late. And if it does bite early...it's out of energy by the time it gets to the dry.

Should be interesting. Glad to hear you guys are taking advantage of the lack of Aslan to get some points!!! Did Rita's son sub for me? Or is my spot just been blank/blind?

Hopefully I've work some of my kinks out in the next couple weeks and be a bit more productive when I return on the 16th.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 175; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Unfortunately, there is not one cure for anyone's problems. That's the beauty of going to clinics. Coaches may tell bowlers five different things in five different ways, but one of them will sink in. The others aren't wrong, they just didn't get through to the bowler. When I told you that it's a good idea to notice where you are lining up with your left foot, it could have been said, like "line up with your left foot here," or "notice where your left foot starts because that's the foot you slide with", or "what the hell are you doing, not looking down at the approach when you start?" All said the same thing in several different ways. You're right... stick with one coach. The one that makes sense to you. It doesn't make everyone else wrong, just different.
    Yeah...it's always a work in progress. Until you get to that highest level where you can zero in on just ONE thing.

Like simple examples:

1) Being vertical at the foul line vs. forward spine tilt.
    Coach A: Hand to the ceiling.
    Coach B: Hand towards the pins
    Coach C: Hand toward the pins
    Coach D: Be straight up and down but low (knee bend)
    Coach E: Slight tilt forward...stay level during approach

2) How close do I stand to the foul line in my initial stance?
    Coach A: Move closer so you're not running.
    Coach B: Same
    Coach C: Move even closer.
    Coach D: Move back a foot so you're not crowded at the line.
    Coach E: Move back another foot...take advantage of your height.

The list could go on and on. Are any of these coaches "wrong"? Well...with the exception of Coach A...all of these are either high level coaches, USBC Hall of Famers, former PBA pros, or current PBA pros...so I doubt it. But you have to remember...sometimes they teach you something to fix Problem A...because thats the biggest problem (not the ONLY problem) you have. That fix may need to be fixed or adjusted later when the bowler is at that next level.

Example:
    I NEEDED to slow down...move up in the approach...because early on I was "running" to the foul line. On video, there was a point where both my feet were off the lane. So moving me up in the approach and shortening steps...was absolutely necessary. As I perfected that approach and not "rushing the foul line", I started getting to the point where I was getting "crunched" up against the foul line and in some cases setting off the buzzer. So I moved back 2ft. Well, then I was a little too far away again and starting to take long steps...so I move 1 foot closer. I'm essentially back to starting where I was in the beginning...but I NEEDED to make those adjustments to fix some of the issues I was having with the approach and timing.

Coaches only fix the most important 1-3 issues at a time. And then work their way down to the less important ones. Sometimes they'll tell you to do something that later they take away...because it serves a purpose in the interim. And sometimes fixes don't work well for that particular bowler.

Example:
    For me, I tend to "kick" my sweep league. This causes some movements in my shoulders during the release that aren't "great". So my coach tried to get me to think of the sweep leg more in terms of "sweeping" and not "kicking". In theory, that was a good fix. But in practice, the way my mind works, I wasn't getting square to the foul line because I was concentrating on moving my sweep leg very, very slowly...and was thus never getting square and releasing the ball way right. So after 2-3 weeks of trying that...we took that out and tried something else. Some coaches teach beginners to just kick the sweep leg "back" instead of to the side...because they want to focus on something and not worry about the sweep leg just yet.

Even my goofy crossover step...multiple coaches have tried to "fix" that...only to just instead decide to focus on something else because trying to "fix" it messes up the approach/timing too much. Sometimes it's better to just leave those things alone and work "around" them. And thats done ALL the time...especially with those of us with physical limitations. Does Rob have the prototypical PBA release? No. Why not? Because Rob is the same age as Iceman and his knees wouldn't last 6 frames if he had to get that low at the foul line in terms of knee bend. But he's able to continue to bowl at a high level...despite that limitation...by working on other compensating factors. ANd he's not alone. I love watching the PBA50 because you'll see guys like Amaletto that have the body/condition of a teenager...and then you'll see some guys that can't get that low...and are relying on accurately hitting their spots and other things to compensate. Mike Edwards and Jack Jurek look entirely different than Monticelli...yet still compete with him.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 175; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Yeah, it was supposed to be the USBC 39'but the mechanic there said he couldn't find that particular pattern for the machine or something like that so he recommended the Dick Weber pattern which I guess is close. If it's like that USBC pattern...it's a LOT of oil in the middle and fronts. Still looked like some dry to the outside though. Kinda like the Cheetah...it's deceptive because it's so short you figure your ball is going to dart left...but the oil is so heavy in the fronts that it doesn't start biting till way late. And if it does bite early...it's out of energy by the time it gets to the dry.

Should be interesting. Glad to hear you guys are taking advantage of the lack of Aslan to get some points!!! Did Rita's son sub for me? Or is my spot just been blank/blind?

Hopefully I've work some of my kinks out in the next couple weeks and be a bit more productive when I return on the 16th.
    I don't know who Rita is, so I don't know if that is the person who subbed for you.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post

MY god,,,FOR THE LOVE OF GOD Rob, Who is "The One!" There must be a ONE TURE Coach that knows all!! Aslan is searching for TRUTHS!! How do you know what makes sense, if your don't know SQUAT, like Aslan????? You type with riddles, and what Aslan needs are solutions, answers!

I will ask you ONE MORE TIME ROB,,, ARE YOU THE ONE!!!???

Don't walk on Thin Ice!

I don't know who Rita is, so I don't know if that is the person who subbed for you.
    Our only other teammate!! Wait. It starts with an "R"! Rona? You KNOW who I mean…out teammate!! It's 3 people!! Me, you, and HER!!

I might have the name mixed up. I don't have my scoresheet with me that has the names on it and I'm not going out in the car to get it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Our only other teammate!! Wait. It starts with an "R"! Rona? You KNOW who I mean…out teammate!! It's 3 people!! Me, you, and HER!!

I might have the name mixed up. I don't have my scoresheet with me that has the names on it and I'm not going out in the car to get it.
    No, I didn't think of Rona when you said Rita.

And No, the person who subbed was not her son.

Page 43 of 226 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393143 ... LastLast