Page 51 of 225 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Post-Lesson Practice: low oil synthetics

Had a very productive practice today and had a game left over afterwards so I bowled a game. Things went pretty well until the 8th when I chopped a 3-5-6-9 bucket then in the 9th couldn't convert the 3-10 baby split. But I struck out to salvage a 200+ game.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.08 pins
    Strikes: 58% (2 turkeys, and a single)
    Spares: 60% picked up

Single Pin spares: 100% (1/1)
    Most common single-pin leave: 8-pin (1x).
    Only left the one pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 50% (2/4)
    Most common multi-pin spare leave: 6-10 (2x).

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Pocket Percentage: 58%
    Pocket Carry: 100%
    Double Percetage: 0%

Average over 1 game: 202.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: n/a.

Did a LOT of work at this evening's lesson. Figured out why my single-pin spare shooting was off. Figured out some mistakes I was making in lateral adjustments. Fixed my release enough to warrant setting aside the wrist brace. And fixed my inconsistent lofting issue.

Now, sure, the lanes seem to be a bit dry which usually elevates my scores. But after fixing these issues…I rolled that 200+ game and instead of thinking, "Wow…that was a good game…I wish I could do that all the time"; I was feeling like 200+ is no big deal and I should roll that every time.

So, we'll see how these changes go. I usually leave the lesson feeling good and then bowl league and average 157. But these are very key changes that address some of my greatest needs…so well see.
    Last edited by Aslan; 12-31-2014 at 01:55 AM.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Sounds good man. Keep the confidence high.

Holiday Practice: low-medium oil synthetics
    Brunswick Classic Lanes

543 Series: 146-193-204
    Was having trouble early with my new spare shooting system adjustment. It would take the better part of 2 games to finally relax, settle down, and make the adjustments. Game 3 was solid except I chopped the 4-7 and the 6-10.

609 Series: 193-189-227 (clean)
    By Game 4 I opened in the first two frames with a 2-10 and a 2-5 but was clean the rest of the way. Only a couple opens in Game 5. Game 6 I actually guttered on the first shot in the 7th frame but struck on the 2nd shot so it only cost me 7-9 pins.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.90 pins
    Strikes: 47% (2 4-baggers, 2 turkeys, 5 doubles, and 8 singles)

Single Pin spares: 78% (11/14)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (4x).
    Also left a single 1-pin, 4-pin, 5-pin, and 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 47% (9/19)
    Most common multi-pin spare leave: 6-10 (3x).

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Pocket Percentage: 61%
    Pocket Carry: 78%
    Double Percetage: 34%

Average over 6 games: 191.83.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 197.50.

Despite being an overall good practice, I guess my expectations were just a bit higher. I should have known it would take more time to adjust to the new spare shooting system. I wish I wrote down what the speeds were. I have a feeling I was trying a little too hard and might have had an elevated speed…which would explain why the lanes seemed 'slightly' oiler today.

Didn't need to ever make a move or a ball change. Not sure why that was…when I'd throw the ball and hit within 1-2 boards of the target…pocket hit and usually a strike. If I missed a few boards right…it would come back into the pocket. Missing more than 2 boards left and I'd hit the headpin but not the pocket per se.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Monday Practice: (Oil pattern = smeared mess) synthetics

520 Series: 171-188-161
    First game I quickly realized that to get ANY reaction into the pocket I would have to apply some surface to my most aggressive ball. So I used a 1000 abralon to add a little surface. Game 2 was a 5-7-10 split away from being clean but Game 3 was a disaster of splits and bad spare shooting.

489 Series: 182-143-164
    Game 4 I opened with a washout, then was clean until I left a 5-7 split in the 9th. Game 5 I was clean through 4 but then washed out a couple times before getting a 6-7 and 5-7 split...but I picked the 6-7 split up which I was kinda proud of. Then a washout to open in the 10th. Game 6 I washed out in the 2nd but was otherwise clean until another 5-7 split in the 8th..then a 6-7 split I couldn't convert in the 10th.

482 Series: 132-182-168
    Game 7 was just miserable; not one strike the whole game. Game 8 I was clean except for a missed 5-pin in the 2nd and a washout in the 4th. Game 9 I was clean except for another 6-7 split in the 4th and then a chopped 2-4-5 in the 10th.

523 Series: 167-157-199
    Game 10 I was clean except for another 5-7-10 split in the 2nd and a chopped 6-10 in the 4th. Game 11 was 4 open frames due to washouts. Finally in Game 12 I actually broke 190. Still had a couple open frames...but struck 6 times to keep the score respectable.

Arguably Useful Statistics:
    First Ball Average: 8.48 pins
    Strikes: 30% (1 turkey, 7 doubles and 22 singles)

Single Pin spares: 88% (24/29)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (7x).
    Never left a single 1-pin nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 46% (26/56)
    Most common multi-pin spare leaves: 6-10 (6x).

Splits: 8% (1/12)

Pocket Percentage: 38%
    Pocket Carry: 81%
    Double Percentage: 10%

Average over 12 games: 167.50.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 170.17.

This was a tough practice. On the right lane, standing left foot 21/22 and targeting 11/12 seemed to work...but any variation in my release or more than a 1-board miss in either direction and I'd miss pocket as is evident by the **** poor pocket %. On the left lane, I progressed through each of the 5 balls while moving slightly left over the 12 games. I started out targeting 9/10 or 10/11...but near the end I was throwing almost straight up the 14/15 board at the pocket. Again, a miss of more than 1 board wouldn't hold pocket. I tried to play more of an outside game early on, hoping there was dry on the far outside...but oil had been smeared all the way to the channel so there was no dry on the right side.

Strike % was higher than I thought. With the first ball average so low, I figured the strike rate would be closer to 8%. Pocket carry was solid, but I simply couldn't find the pocket on a consistent basis. The only bright note was I finally seemed to settle into the new spare shooting system/adjustments and had a single-pin spare shooting % that met my expectations.

In addition, while there was some good luck with strikes collapsing that I didn't deserve...I also opened in the 10th an astounding 5 times out of 12 games.

Form, focus, and spare shooting seem to be improving...as is evident by the consistent scores. But my release is still very much an issue. To avoid using the wrist brace, my coach had my rotate my hand from under the ball to just off to the side of the ball. Then, as long as I release it properly without bending my elbow...I get similar axis tilt and revs as I would wearing the wrist brace. But, I found myself thowing vastly different shots as that hand would sometimes get too far to the outside or not enough. I also struggled with my approach..sometimes with a straighter back, sometimes slight forward spine tilt, sometimes too bent over the foul line. I also seem to be throwing it harder for some reason...as I try to keep from bending that elbow.
    Last edited by Aslan; 01-06-2015 at 05:43 PM.

Tuesday League Night: medium oil synthetics

450 Series: 135-201-114

Game 1; not as bad as the score indicates. Only 2 opens other than 3 splits...but, neither of the non-splits should have been opens.

Game 2 I thought I figured things out. I thought I had tweaked my release enough that I finally got over the hump and it would be clean sailing for the rest of the match. Started out with 6 strikes in the first 7 frames...clean. But, then a 4-6-10 split followed by two attempts to pick up a 6-10 that were both unsuccessful. On track for a 300-game...then a career best 279...then a respectable game in the 240s, 230s, 220s...to eventually settling for the match high score of barely over 200. Outbowled the other team AND my entire team...but that was a minor concilation at that point.

Game 3…just awful. Absolutely awful bowling. Only 3 clean frames...a lot of easy spares I didn't convert...only struck once...2 splits including a 3-10 in the 10th. Got outbowled by my entire team and 4 of their 5 bowlers. : (

Arguably significant/insignificant Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.13 pins
    Strikes: 29% (1 4-bagger, 1 double, and 3 singles)
    Spares: 31% picked up

Single Pin spares: 33% (1/3)
    Missed a 9-pin and a 10-pin. Made a 2-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 31% (6/19)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 6-10 (6x)

Splits: 0% (0/6)

Pocket Percentage: 21%
    Pocket Carry: 150% (more strikes than pocket hits)
    Double Percentage: 11%

Average over 3 games: 150.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 155.33.

Unacceptable. I haven't had a league night THIS bad this season. It was the first time in my short tenure bowling that I:

1) Didn't really go around and shake hands with the other team....I mean, I shook their hands...but they came to me and I just kinda sat there in despair.
    2) Seriously considered that this may be my last season of bowling.

I already am committed to the two leagues I'm in. I already have a lesson scheduled for two weeks from now. And I'm already paid up for the tournament the end of January. But a 114 is unacceptable. I've put too much time and effort into this to accept that. I'm probably not even gonna post much on the boards at this point. I mean, I always joke with the "board elders" when they claim people shouldn't have an opinion when they are new...I always ask, "Well, what average do I need where I can have an opinion?" But I answered my own question last night. If you bowl a 114 game in league play on a THS...that or under you really shouldn't have an opinion about anything bowling related. Iceman may be right...it might come down to some people having IT and some people not having IT. I may not have IT. That simple.

As to what went wrong...? I can't blame the lanes. Most people were struggling because I think the league actually cleaned the lanes yesterday and suddenly people were really missing left. I was getting decent movement as well. I mean, it's very simple: I hit the pocket 6 times on 29 first shots. I actually struck more than I hit the pocket. As bad as I bowled...I got lucky. You can't have high expectations for your score when you hit the pocket only 30% of the time. And while I shot 88% on spares in practice...I went 1 for 3 when it mattered. And I left the 6-10 SIX times! I picked it up HALF the time. You just can't do that.

I changed my approach after my last lesson...I changed how I set-up, how I target, how I release, and how I follow-through. And the result is I'm all over the place, I'm throwing it too hard as a result of the changes, and I've lost my ability to make small changes to my ball motion using loft/vertical targeting. It's like I'm bowling blind...like Wes Mallott. I see the dots...I focus...I try to release it well....then I look up and the ball could have gone anywhere.

And it's friggin frustrating....seeing guys with 20 pins less handicap than me...throwing the ball completely WRONG....technically NOT sound....and they do fine. But, whatever. I got a break until my Sunday league next week. Gonna try to stay away from the lanes until then...just get away from it for a bit. Whether I can or not...we'll see.

Chats: 32

Hey cheer up dude. I know you thought you were onto something in practice but sometimes it takes a while for things to filter into your game. Sometimes it's just a bad night. I watched a guy decent bowler 170 avg. throw 182-208-100 last week and he had to mark in the 10th to get the 100. Shi* happens. Heck I've been bowling pretty well I threw a 145 the other day you make a wrong adjustment and compound it at least that's what happened to me especially if your being inconsistent with your release
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

My buddy, 185 average bowled a 112 last year and had to spare the 10th to get into the triple digits. It happens to the best of us from time to time (just look at Tom Doherty's game!). Makes you not want to go back but then more often than not, you'll bounce right back.

Chats: 0

114 is greater than 97
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by mc_runner View Post
    My buddy, 185 average bowled a 112 last year and had to spare the 10th to get into the triple digits. It happens to the best of us from time to time (just look at Tom Doherty's game!). Makes you not want to go back but then more often than not, you'll bounce right back.
    I probably will. Maybe I need a "mental" coach. I seem to have great practices, lessons, and even tournaments...then the very next league night follow it up with vommit. Or I'll have a terrible practice and follow it up with a great league night. I still have a solid month of bowling in January in front of me and two leagues to finish...so I'm not gonna just bail. But this needs to turn around because I'm already impatient about my high 160s average...going up 1 a mere 1 pin per year...so to actually fall back into the 150s...I can't take that. Too much time/energy invested to me permanently sub-mediocre.

And yes, Mike shot a 97 in the VBT and Doherty shot his 100 game...but they both also average over 200. Mike is beatable on the right conditions...but expecting him to throw a 130 game...you might be waiting a while on normal conditions. We bowl together on Sundays...and I usually can "beat" him 1 of the 4 games...but thats about it. AND...there's rampant rumors that his 97 was a rather blatent sandbagging attempt even though like Lance Armstrong....MWhite will never admit that.

Sunday Sport League: PBA Viper Pattern

594 Series: 113-161-161-159

Game 1 was more of the miserable that started in the 8th frame of the 2nd game Tuesday. It was clear that something was terribly off. So, I decided to forget the new release for now and go back to wearing the wrist brace; at least until I have my next lesson a week from tomorrow.

Game 2, frame 2 I threw the ball in the gutter on the first ball. But other than that I was clean through 7. Only other open was a missed single 10-pin in the 8th frame. Spare shooting looked better but still wasn't striking much. Game 3 was more of the same, a couple opens, decent spare shooting, but only a couple of strikes. Same with Game 4, a few strikes, mostly spares, just an extra open frame to take out my chance at a tail end triplicate. Could have probably gotten it (-161-161-161) but I had a 4-7-10 split on the second ball of the 10th and decided to try and pick it up rather than just take the count.

Argueably Useful Statistics:
    First Ball Average: 7.63 pins
    Strikes: 18% (1 double and 6 singles)
    Spares: 54% picked up

Single Pin spares: 64% (9/14)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (7x).
    Never left a single 1-pin nor 6-pin..

Multiple Pin spares: 47% (9/19)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 1-2-3-4-5-7-8 (3x).

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Pocket Percentage: 44%
    Pocket Carry: 42%
    Double Percentage: 12%

Average over 4 games: 148.50.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 162.00.

Almost identical stats from 4 weeks ago. I probably played a little better than I did 4 weeks ago but the big minus was the single-pin spare shooting. And it was a weird night because I went 6/7 for the 10-pin but couldn't hit the 4-pin nor 7-pin on the left side.

After Game 1 I changed my release back to how it was before my last lesson and after just a couple frames in Game 2 I also changed my targeting back to how it was pre-lesson. Targeting the dots makes them easier to hit…but any slight miss and it magnifies the miss. Not saying I'm rejecting the new ideas; but I need more work on them before I can put them effectively into practice.

Not "happy" about the performance…but after Game 1…things weren't looking good. Making a change back to what I was used to and then getting scores in the 159-161 range kinda brought me back into my comfort zone.
    Last edited by Aslan; 01-12-2015 at 02:50 PM.

Page 51 of 225 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast