Page 5 of 226 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post

The good news is I got some good instruction from some legitimate talent.

Hall of Famer Barry Asher. I'd say so!!

http://www.bowlingball.com/BowlVersi...sher?lf=search

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRQ8WaAh9Gk

I just bowled the best series of my life (545) yesterday...and not 24 hours later I'm being told by someone who is knowledgeable enough...

One of The PBA's 50 Greatest Players, I'd say he's more than knowledgeable enough!

Glad you made it!!

I don't roll on Shabbos!!!
    Last edited by Bunny; 09-28-2013 at 11:18 PM.

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    One of The PBA's 50 Greatest Players, I'd say he's more than knowledgeable enough!
    Thats what I meant...if it had been the guy working behind the counter or even some guy in a pro shop...I'd have been like, "listen dude...I just rolled a 545...so...I don't really need to completely change my game...but thanks." But when it's a former pro...hall of famer...etc.. kinda hard to go "pfft...whatever."
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Sunday Practice:

368 Series: 111-134-123

Tried out the things I learned at the Saturday clinic. As you can see...it didn't work out very well. I'm back to throwing a straight ball. 3-4 months ago I switched from a 18-year old urethane ball to my first reactive resin ball. I used to throw straight at the head pin and score between 87-129. Suddenly I was scoring between 115-187 with my new ball and I could throw out to the right and have the ball hook back into the head pin.

But now...on synthetic lanes....it's a straight ball. A little, little tiny flare at the end....other than that just a heavier, uglier version of my 14lb, 18-year old urethane ball. By the end of the 3rd practice game...I started feeling good, threw 2 strikes in a row...so I bowled two more practice games:

104-107

Obviously, didn't work out very well. Trying to stop muscling the ball...trying to get down, trying to release sooner...it just wasn't working. If I was an inch one way or the other from my target...I'd end up shooting a spare...and my spare shooting just wasn't working out today. Because I was trying to get so low, my balance was off. A lot of my mistakes were in my shoulders...either too much shoulder or not enough.

This was my last practice on synthetics before league play on Thursday....so not sure what I'm gonna do at this point.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Monday Practice on wood lanes:

341 Series: 123-105-113
    Started out not going well. Messed with my approach/swing so much Saturday and Sunday that it took me a bit to get back to my "old self".

395 Series: 101-142-152
    My coach came over and gave me some pointers...got me to settle down a bit. I think I was struggling and it was just messing with me. Since I was starting to do better...I did a few more games.

488 Series: 161-192-135
    Had a great 2nd game. Started to lose it in game 3...was getting tired. But I left feeling good. Granted...granted...it was on wood lanes. But at this point...if I can roll a 450-550 series on Fridays in my sanctioned league...while I try to find a way to fix my struggles on synthetic lanes...I'll take it.

Thursday Night League

Two pre-league practice games: 112-106

Not really "real games" since I was essentially trying different things that I learned at the Saturday clinic. Unfortunately...nothing was working. If I tried to release the ball closer to where it passes my front sliding leg...I end up dropping it and it goes right in the right gutter. It's as if my right shoulder isn't fully "straight" yet so I'm releasing the ball towards the gutter. So if I'm going to perfect that release point...I need to work on getting my shoulders square sooner.

League Series: 425, 144-161-120
    By game 3 I had slightly too many gin and tonics...but overall it was a good night and I finally helped the team. Unfortunately...we played the "sandbagger express" and they beat us all 3 games. We only lost by 2 pins in game 2...and almost caught em in game 3...but it was not in the cards.

I tried to just throw the way I'm used to. Some slight "tweaks"...getting lower...pushing the ball out in my approach rather than dropping it...shorter backswing...longer approach so I'm not crowded at the line. Still couldn't get any hook. I pretty much am throwing 18mph and thats still too much speed for that ball to hook in heavy oil. I thought about throwing it at boards 1-5...the drier part of the lane...but it's too close to the gutter...I get nervous and either pull it or drop it in the gutter. And throwing at boards 9-12...it was just going straight to the right of the headpin. So I had to play the straight shot...boards 11-15. Tough to strike playing a straight shot...but I guess until I get my other ball drilled...I'll try and work on my spare game.

Friday Night Sanctioned League (wood lanes):
    533 Series: 176-133-224

Bowled a 525+ series, bowled my highest game ever...and missed my 2nd clean game by a pin. In the first frame of game 3, my thumb got stuck and I threw the ball about 15ft in the air and it landed half way down the lane. Picked up the spare. But then "over did it" on powdering up the thumb in frame 2...threw it in the gutter on ball 1, and could only get 9 pins with my 2nd ball. That was my only open frame.

I was really worried after bowling my best ever 545 series in week 1 that I'd never live up to that average..well...I couldn't...average 178 tonight...so dropped my average to an even 180 after 2 weeks.

But most importantly...my team took 4 points and we should be in 1st place or at least tied for 2nd next week!

Monday Practice (wood lanes):

Just got my ball back from a $15 oven treatment. Last time I do that given I just got my food dehydrator from Ebay. I asked him to resurface it as well, but he said it didn't look like it needed resurfacing; I wasn't going to argue.

539 Series: 217-150-172
    First game was awesome! Like my 3rd or 4th best game I've ever bowled! Ball seemed to have more reactivity after the baking/dehydrating...but hard to say since I tend to get a good deal of reactivity on wood lanes. Synthetic lanes on Thursday will be the real test.

483 Series: 197-131-155
    The first game of the series I started with a 5-bagger. Probably only my first or second 5-bagger of my life. Then I ruined it with a 3 | 3. The last couple games were better than the score indicates...was having trouble with picking up spares. A lot of 2-pin spares, easy ones, and I'd chop them thinking the ball would hook more than it did.

Lifetime average moves up a pin...not a bad practice session.

Thursday Night League (synthetics, non-sanctioned)

427 Series: 133-119-175
    The first game I almost bowled a clean game, but ended up with a 1 / 1 in the 7th...then 1-2 more open frames. Still finished over my Thursday average with a 133...but with 2 of our bowlers on vacation and Bunny having a rare "off" night...we lost by two pins to a HORRIBLE team.

The second game was a disaster...not sure what happened.

The 3rd game was 2 frames away from a clean game. Picked up a great 3-5-7 split...got a double in the 8th and 9th...open in the 10th chopping the 1-2-4-7. But finished with a 175 which is excellent for me on synthetics...and more importantly, it got us the 3rd game AND the total pin count...so we should have gotten 2 out of 4 points on the evening. And we only missed picking up the other 2 points by a grand total of 11 pins. Sick...but oh well.

We did see a guy almost die though...that was scary...but I'll save it for another post.

Friday Night League (wood lanes, sanctioned)

411 Series: 136-159-116
    Tough night. Had trouble with my thumb. Getting stuck, then slipping out, then getting stuck, then slipping out...just a tough night. Pulled things together in the second game...bowled 7 clean frames after 3 bad frames. But then in the 3rd game, I was doing okay, just couldn't pick up spares.

Brought me down to earth after 2 weeks of scores in the 180s.

The only good thing was when the league coordinator came over and asked if I had bowled on wood lanes before and told me that one of the players on the other team had mentioned that they think I'm a "pro" and had asked her about me. I'm not sure how anyone could see my scores of 136 and 159 and think I'm a pro...but she said she could tell by the way I threw that I was good...regardless of the score. So that made me feel a little better.

Team should still be in first place next week...either 2 or 3 points tonight...don't know yet because one person on the other team didn't have an established average so we don't know what her handicap was.

Amazing that I rolled a 427 series and helped my team to victory on synthetics Thursday...then bowled a 411 on wood lanes and nearly crippled my team. Who woulda figured?

Friday Practice with Mike White:

124-92

Went to see Mike about the tri-grip and we bowled a couple games. He wanted to see my release, but I bowled so poorly it wasn't really possible to learn much. I tend to bowl crappy the first couple games in an unfamiliar alley...so it wasn't surprising.

The first game I threw it in the gutter 4 times to start the game.....definitely hard to score when you're playing 8 frames instead of 10. And in the second game, not only did I start off with 2 gutter balls...but outside of 2 strikes...didn't mark at ALL....horrible spare shooting.

But, it was nice to meet another member of the site...I liked the alley and got to feel what it was like to bowl on what I'd say is a synthetic lane with medium oil. Normally I either bowl on heavy oil synthetics or drier wood lanes...so it was interesting to see how my ball reacted to the "in between". I woulda bowled a few more games to test out the new tri-grip but:

1) The place got packed about 6PM as leagues were starting.
    2) I wanted to get home and catch Game 2 of the ALCS.

Page 5 of 226 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast