Page 74 of 226 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884124174 ... LastLast

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Sometimes it just doesn't seem to matter what you do. It's just off.
    Exactly this. Have had my share of these type of nights. Ever since coming back from El Paso, then bowling on the "easy" shots, I haven't been able to do anything. Desperately need some practice, but haven't been able to since I got back. Home improvement stuff keeps getting in the way.

Golf will starting to get in the way too. Bought a new set of clubs and have yet to try them out. This weekend will be a golf weekend for me.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Chats: 204

I don't like to make excuses...but to start the night out by tossing my wrist brace in the garbage (because it was broken)...it just made everything "different".

The lanes seemed like very heavy oil in the middle...and quite long for a THS. But there was a ton of dry area outside of the 7-board. I tried playing up the 8.5 board to start...but it seemed like with my speed...it just wasn't hitting the dry soon enough to move. Over the course of the night...I migrated a bit left with my feet which allowed for me to hit the breakpoint better...and give me some miss room to the right...but it was still a tight shot. That last 10ft in front of the pins was almost bone dry so small misses left and the ball didn't move much at all and then jerked suddenly just in front of the pin deck.

The slower speed, older guy, he couldn't even keep his urethane spare ball right of the headpin. Me and the anchor had too much speed and he didn't have enough.

It's frustrating because there's so many elements at play during the set-up, approach, and release. And if you focus on too many...or focus too much...then you're not relaxed and everything goes south. But if you ignore one of those main elements...you're screwed as well. The wrist brace allowed me to ignore release differences shot to shot and focus on things like timing and footwork and targeting. But without the wrist brace...even if I nail those other items...the release is completely inadequate. I'm not getting good axis tilt...on some shots I have virtually zero axis rotation...so even with aggressive bowling balls and a lot of surface...I can't get back to the pocket.

We'll see how the lesson goes tonight. The coach never liked the wrist brace anyways...so, for now, I'm just gonna work on my shot without one. But after next week, I'll re-evaluate. If it looks like I just can't get any tilt/rotation without the brace...I'll order something of higher quality....like a Storm wrist brace or Robby's or Brunswick. The broken brace was just a Chinese $30 thing I bought just to "try" it.

I've been trying to just focus on form and balance. If I'm more straight up and down...if I loft it a bit...whatever, so be it. But if I can fix my timing and stay balanced at the foul line...and can hit my mark (usually not a problem)...then I can work on some of these other things later.

It's just very frustrating to take 3 steps forward...then 2 steps back...like 1-2 times a month. Just when I think I got things fixed and figured out...I poo the bed and it's back to the drawing board.

I got about 98 games left on this arsenal and then it'll be time to retire it. And right about that time I'm gonna schedule a lesson with Mark Baker...get another set of eyes on my game (or lack there of). Hopefully I'll get some practice in with the new arsenal before I head off to sweeps in mid-September.

I just hope the current coach doesn't get too annoyed that my next arsenal is already pretty much selected. And I just don't see the value in getting "top of the line", NEW, bowling balls at this point. The way I look at it is...a GOOD bowler can bowl a 175 average on a THS with old equipment from the 80s/90s. A great bowler can probably average 200+ with older equipment. The way I see it is, if I can't average 175 with lower level, older equipment...then the problem ISN'T the equipment...it's the bowler. Now, if I'm awesome...but the only thing holding me back is that my equipment isn't "top of the line"....THEN it's time for an advanced arsenal. I see far too many bowlers that just fundamentally are "bad"...but they compensate with advanced equipment. Kinda like how my release is bad and I compensated with the wrist brace.

Back to the drawing board...AGAIN!
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 175; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

You are being WAYYY too hard on yourself Aslan. I know you have a lot of time and money (mainly time), invested in this bowling project. We have all seen you improve just in the past year. Sure you will have dry spells, we all do, but also I remember you having a few 600's of late....no matter WHAT house is was bowled at. You seriously need to take a step back and ask yourself if you are a better bowler than you were a couple years ago. Do you have more knowledge about the game...WAIT, we know the answer to that one!!

I've said it before, I have never seen anyone so dedicated to learning the sport than you. Just read his "post history" folks, if you need to see for yourself. This alone should be commended and appriciated. Stop beating yourself up and focus on your move (unless that is done). I really enjoy reading your posts and watching your videos. I actually have learned quite a bit about the game from your observations and or complaints. You have many valid arguments. PLEASE..keep it up and just enjoy the game.

One last thing I'd like to point out. Vdub stated than you are close to a breakthrough. I have thought this myself. I don't see you in the 160's much longer. You'll be surprised how it's like a switch being turned on. Don't be afraid to try little new things in your game. I was tweeking for like 15 years before I finally matched up my game. I still need work but have climbed.

Life it too short and you have too much damn spunk to let it get you down.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Agreed 100% bubba!

I must admit…Bubba would make a good "sport psychologist". Thanks Bubba. Much appreciated.

As the former (now probably dead or gone to some kinda Bruce/Lisa Jenner limbo) Iceman stated…I simply lack patience. And I DO lack patience.

Yes..I often want to quit bowling and throw my equipment in the nearest dumpster…hopefully landing on a homeless person and killing them…because if we're being totally honest…bible lessons aside…do we REALLY need that homeless person???

But…BUT…I live 15 feet from a bowling alley and I love to bowl. AND…I have about 16 bowling balls undrilled in my living room…so quitting is kinda more of a "fantasy" at this point.

Just remember Bubba…2 years ago…I was almost voted off the site for my opinionated tone and random other annoyances and possibly some questionable behavior. ALLEGEDLY. But…the users voted that I stay (at least 60% of them…the others are DEAD to me!!!)…so here I am to entertain and spread what some would call, "bowling wisdom". Others would call, "complete jibberish and incoherent nonsense". But to each their own.

Okay…Aslan being awesome and entertaining aside…today's scores:

Thursday Practice:
    My coach didn't show…which sometimes happens when your coach also owns a couple pro shops and bowls on the tour…but yeah…kinda annoying. I "think" there was probably an e-mail that got sent to my previous e-mail account. With the move, I've had to switch e-mail addresses so I assume that was the issue.

But…I took the time to work on my game independently:

563 Series: 137-244 (clean)-182
    Game 1 I was trying to start my hand on the inside quarter of the ball but couldn't seem to get the hand all the way around the ball during the release so I abandoned that strategy after 1 game; something I'll have to work on more. Game 2 actually would have been higher except I lost focus a bit after the non-strike in the 6th and forgot to make the adjustment until the 10th…and then struck out. Game 3 would have been a higher score had I not chopped the 1-2-8 in the 10th frame.

538 Series: 186-189-163
    Only a couple opens in Game 1 but I couldn't seem to find my strike ball. Game 2 I was a couple missed single-pin leaves away from a clean game…but even after balling down to the Encounter (A); still couldn't consistently strike. Game 3 I was a chopped 2-5 and 6-9 away from a clean game…but again mostly spares.

Last Game: 151
    For the last game I ran out of room moving left and tried to move back outside but it took a few frames just to figure out the new line and I was still struggling to strike…and chopped a couple multi-pin leaves…missed a couple single pins as well for lackluster finish.

Pinpal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.63 pins
    Strikes: 35% (1 5-bagger, 2 turkeys, 6 doubles and 4 singles)
    Spares: 62% picked up

Single Pin spares: 70% (12/17)
    Most common single-pin leave: 7-pin (6x).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 2-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 58% (18/31)
    Most common multi-pin spare leaves: 2-4-5 (5x).

Splits: 50% (1/2)

Average over 12 games: 178.86.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 187.00.

Disappointed that I couldn't seem to get the "inside the ball" thing to work…but it'll probably just take more practice.

AND…keep in mind this is probably #1 or #2 in terms of easy houses in the OC…

AND…the Encounter is just pretty much a useless ball at this point. And I think the Rhythm is dead. About 91 games left before an arsenal change…which I"m very much welcoming given the struggles I've had with my Encounters and especially now if the Rhythm (my most reliable ball) is dead/dying.
    Last edited by Aslan; 06-19-2015 at 11:16 AM.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 32

Aslan if the Encounters are unusable and the Rhythm is dead why don't you just go ahead and switch the arsenal? Seems kind of foolish to wait on an arbitrary number if your down to the Bullet Train and a Slingshot as useable balls.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Aslan if the Encounters are unusable and the Rhythm is dead why don't you just go ahead and switch the arsenal? Seems kind of foolish to wait on an arbitrary number if your down to the Bullet Train and a Slingshot as useable balls.
    Well, remember, I have two Encounters and the polished one still seems somewhat useable. I think there's something going on with the thumb pitch in those two balls. My thumb seems to get "held up" as it exits the ball. It may be the tri-grip…but it doesn't seem to happen with the Slingshot and it is also tri-G.

And I only "think" the Rhythm is dead. I'm not certain. I threw it for most of the games I practiced today and it seemed okay.

Father's Day Practice: low-moderate oil synthetics

Decided to get out of the apartment and go next door to bowl. First time trying out the new home center (at least it will be for next season). It's a weird center, very old school…the big old Brunswick scoring system…and 20 lanes on each side…which is not the usual set-up. I've seen it a couple times in Vegas…but this is the first time outside of Vegas.

532 Series: 198-196-138
    Both games 1 and 2 were nearly identical…started out with a couple opens…then started picking up spares…then finished strong striking. Game 3 my spare shooting fell in the toilet.

160-191 (clean)
    Only had time for 2 more games. Game 1 I was struggling to strike and spare shooting just wasn't there. Then the spare shooting game kinda came back to bowl a clean game to finish things off.

Pinpal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.58 pins
    Strikes: 33% (2 4-baggers, 2 doubles and 7 singles)
    Spares: 61% picked up

Single Pin spares: 60% (9/15)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (7x).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, 5-pin, 8-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 63% (12/19)
    Most common multi-pin spare leaves: 1-2-4 (3x).

Splits: 50% (1/2)

Average over 12 games: 176.60.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 188.80.

Mainly wanted to get a feel for the new lanes. Given that I now live 20ft from this alley…I figure I'll be spending a fair amount of time there. I still have two leagues to finish up at my two current centers…then fall season I'll stay at the AMF house for one league…hopefully with my old work team…and move the other league from my current 'home' center to this new alley.

I liked the feel of the place. It's very old school. It immediately felt 'comfortable'.

I tried the "working the inside of the ball" thing a bit but most of practice just focused on my form and relaxing my swing. I made a fair amount of shots where I really felt like the ball was coming off my hand cleanly.

Also had thumb issues. The thumb tends to slip out of the Bullet Train because of that smooth VISE IT slug material….and my thumb got hung up when I finally balled down to the Encounter…I think because of a thumb pitch issue. But most games I threw the Rhythm and I must say…that ball is drilled exactly right. The thumb fit is perfect…the pitch is great…and I just feel that ball coming off my hand perfectly.

As to the line at this house compared to what I'm used to…

Home Center: uncertain (does not oil fresh before leagues)
    AMF Center: Generally slide foot at 17.5, target dots at 9.
    New Home Center: Generally slide foot at 17, target at 11.

So, in a nutshell, I generally play just outside the 2nd arrow at the AMF Center and just inside 2nd arrow at the new home center…but both seem to be forgiving shots. I missed right alot in the beginning (new house) as I tried to adjust to this shot being maybe a tiny bit LONGER than at the AMF house…not quite as much of a dry area off to the side either.

Not a great practice. Still gotta get my swing and timing and release consistent. I feel like I'm hitting my mark…but it could be one swing or another swing…gotta get that speed and timing consistent.

Monday Late-Night Practice: low oil synthetics

Decided to try and hit 1000 games this year, AND take advantage of living next door to a bowling alley...AND take advantage of living next door to a bowling alley that is open 24 hours. It DID NOT go well.

Got there 15 minutes before midnight and had to wait 15 minutes for pricing to go down to the "day" rates. The place is also a big karaoke destination so I had to constantly listen to what sounded like people stepping on cats. When I wasn't listening to that...I was listening to the most annoying rap music I've ever heard...and I've heard some pretty annoying rap music.

428 Series: 118-152-158
    All three games were just variations on the same theme...complete inability to consistently hit the pocket. When I hit the pocket, I left a corner pin. When I struck, it was usually Brooklyn. And I didn't strike very often. Spare shooting started off horribly...and multi-pin spare shooting was abysmal as I was leaving stuff like the 1-3-8, 1-2-10, 1-2-8-9...and lots of 1-3-9s.

441 Series: 136-154-151
    Consistently horrible. No strikes in Game 4. Went 0 for 5 on multi-pin leaves and 5 for 5 on single-pin leaves. Game 5 was the only halfway decent game of the entire night as I only opened 3 times...all 3 times on splits. Game 6 I balled down from the Rhythm to the Encounter on one lane...so lots of missing right trying to get that ineffective pearl cover piece of garbage to do anything other than annoy me.

158-148
    Game 7 was okay...but single-pin spare shooting failed me...including a missed 7-pin for an open frame in the 10th. Midway through Game 7 the lane kinda broke and rather than fix it...the guy moved me over to another pair...so I got to spend my last game figuring out the new pair.

Pinpal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.30 pins
    Strikes: 20% (1 turkey, 2 doubles and 11 singles)
    Spares: 50% picked up

Single Pin spares: 73% (17/23)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 7-pin and 10-pin (6x each).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 8-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 37% (16/43)
    Most common multi-pin spare leaves: 1-2-4 (4x).

Splits: 0% (0/7)

Average over 8 games: 146.88.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 154.62.

Mainly wanted to just see what it was like to bowl there at night...bowled from 12AM to 2AM. Not ideal to bowl on a Monday night that late when you have to get up for work the next day...and I think that was weighing on me a bit. But I don't know what was wrong. I have to think there must still be some significant flaws in my timing for my pocket percentage to have been THAT abysmal. I missed right a lot...getting outside my target...and having such a poor amount of axis rotation...especially with my wrist brace broken. But most of the night was a battle with the lanes to try and stay right of the headpin on those beat to he(ck) lanes. Not only was I bowling after their 4 leagues had finished...but after a couple hours of house bowlers as well. I mean, at one point I was standing with my left foot about 11-12 boards left of center and throwing just left of center...and the ball was almost making it back. If it came back, it usually hit pretty weak at that angle...but still...I rarely get more than 5 boards left of center with my feet and almost never get my target inside center on most lanes.

Not sure what the fix is. I'm trying to work on balance and form...staying focused...but it just seemed like I was out of time; out of sync. I tried maybe getting lower...I tried relaxing my swing more...but it seemed like everything I tried didn't work. I started moving my target back out towards the arrows to get my shot more on line and extend through it...but when I do that...I tend to start lofting it.

And I don't know if I should keep practicing at that center, despite it's 5 minute walking distance from my apartment, given that the league conditions I play on are so different...especially on Tuesdays.

I'm looking forward to my re-scheduled lesson on Monday...because other than the PBA50 Pro-Am where I won $170 for 2nd place...it's been a pretty miserable week of bowling 2 weeks ago, a week off, and now I'm right back to struggling.

Well, off to the hell that IS Tuesday League Night. At this point I think Vegas has my over/under for tonight's series set at 415 so...get your bets in early to win some big money! If things go south too badly, too quickly...I might just get the conventional drilled urethane ball out of the trunk of the car and bowl old school.

Tuesday League Night: low-medium oil synthetics

522 Series: 159-194-169

Game 1 I made as many good shots as bad ones…but only a few strikes to show for it. Only a few opens but struggled with thumb fit, finally adding a couple pieces of tape to the VISE IT insert.

Game 2 I missed a single 5-pin in the 4th and then couldn't convert a 1-2-3-4-5-7 on a bad first shot in the 8th. But I struck well and always was able to double.

Game 3 I lost the strike ball; only striking twice the entire game. I was clean through 6 though before missing a 10-pin then chopping a 1-2-5-9. Otherwise clean.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.18 pins
    Strikes: 32% (4 doubles and 3 singles)
    Spares: 59% picked up

Single Pin spares: 70% (7/10)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 4-pin and 10-pin (3x each).

Multiple Pin spares: 50% (6/12)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 2-4-5 (2x).

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 174.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 183.33.

Not a horrible night by any means. Better than practice last night. Just continuing to work on balance and form. I took the wrist positioner off to hopefully start generating some "uncorking" of the hand. The downside was about 6 shots that missed way right as I wasn't able to even uncock the hand to a straight position (wrist still bent back) at the release point. Struggled with thumb fit a bit with the VISE inserts. The black material is just too slippery. A few bad shots were due to the thumb slipping slightly as the ball is in it's swing. The white material IT slug I have is more sticky, like a standard slug in a bowling ball…but the black ones feel more like a non-stick pan or something. Then I get afraid I'll drop it….then I squeeze….then the ball gets stuck….then I powder the thumb….then we start the whole circle again.

But…I bowled okay…I won $4 playing cards…and I struck in the 10th all 3 games which helped our team take 3 of 4 points on the night…which we badly need given we're in 2nd to last place. At this point I'm kinda hoping we just finish last so we're at least in line to win the towel. And, 2 games above my average…thats okay.

Page 74 of 226 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884124174 ... LastLast