Page 76 of 226 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086126176 ... LastLast

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Saturday Color of Money Tournament: low-medium oil synthetics

The girl from my Tuesday team wanted to do this…just a low level weekly tournament where ya have colored pins in the rack and can get different amounts of money depending on their orientation, scores, splits picked up, etc...

562 Series: 147-215-200
    Was having trouble getting ball reaction early…difference between their fresh condition and the beat up condition I'm used to when practicing. Game 2 I seemed to find a line, but lost it after the front 4. Managed to salvage a decent score with improved spare shooting. Game 3 was going great through 6 but then things started breaking down and I ended up missing on a single 5-pin in the 10th somehow…so that was that.

Pinpal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.62 pins
    Strikes: 50% (1 4-bagger, 1 turkey, 3 doubles and 3 singles)
    Spares: 56% picked up

Single Pin spares: 75% (3/4)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 2-pin, 5-pin, 7-pin and 10-pin (1x each).

Multiple Pin spares: 50% (6/12)
    Most common multi-pin spare leaves: 6-10 (3x).

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Average over 3 games: 187.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 191.00.

Not bad. A couple 200 games was competitive. Hard to win enough money to cover the $20 entry…I did pretty well and struck a lot and only won back $9.75. But a fun little event.

Most "scoring" took place AFTER the bowling (if ya know what I mean)…but technically I can't discuss that here as this is the thread SPECIFICALLY for scores of the NON-LADY kind.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 175; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Sunday Midday Practice: low oil synthetics

497 Series: 151-185-161
    Game 1 I had one lane figured out and the other not at all. Game 2 was one frame away from being clean. Then game 3 it was the same thing as game 1…I had that one lane figured out…not the other one.

463 Series: 191 (clean)-132-140
    I love clean games, but it was 3 strikes and the rest spares. Hard work. Then Games 5 and 6, the lanes were just broken down too much. I tried to ball down to my 2 polished balls but they just weren't working. I was either too much in the middle and leaving splits or it wasn't making it back to the pocket and i was leaving washouts.

Pinpal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.52 pins
    Strikes: 30% (2 doubles and 16 singles)
    Spares: 55% picked up

Single Pin spares: 70% (12/17)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (4x).
    Never left a single 1-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 46% (12/26)
    Most common multi-pin spare leaves: 2-4-5 and 1-2-4 (3x each).

Splits: 20% (1/5)

Average over 6 games: 160.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 169.17.

Just was up early so I thought I'd get some additional practice in. Trying to figure out how low I should get. I seem to throw a good ball if I'm more upright…but with a little more speed and loft and tendency to miss right. But if I get lower I sometimes lose balance/form and pull shots left. A lesson tomorrow so hopefully I can get some helpful hints…or it'll be the opposite result where my game gets re-re-re-invented and I'm taking 2 steps back.
    Last edited by Aslan; 06-29-2015 at 01:05 PM.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 32

Nice scoring at the tournament congrats. I had a bad night on Friday night in my league so I'm taking a few days off from bowling to try and get my head back on right.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Nice scoring at the tournament congrats. I had a bad night on Friday night in my league so I'm taking a few days off from bowling to try and get my head back on right.
    Been there (a LOT...quite often...). But, once I get close to a week without bowling...I can't take it. And nothing cures a bad night faster than a good night.

Taking a few days off for me is exactly that. I have league again Tuesday so the break won't be more than Saturday-Monday. I don't know was just confused and needed to take a step back and think. I had actually been bowling a little better in leagues the last 2 outings 608 and 632 but Friday was a train wreck like I haven't seen in a while all three games in the 150's never found a line the entire night with any of my balls wasn't the lanes or anything else just me with difficulty hitting my spot and then the ball not doing what I expected when I did. So hopefully I'll get it back in check tomorrow or to quote you throw my balls in the river on the way home.

Current arsenal

Tuesday League Night: heavy oil synthetics

513 Series: 177-183-153

Game 1 I ran some strikes together but opened 3 times including in the 10th. I closed the 10th out in Game 2, but still had 3 opens. Game 3 was clean through 6, all spares through 5...then a 4-10 split followed by a 6-7-10 followed by a 1-2-7-8-9 washout...and that was that.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.44 pins
    Strikes: 40% (1 turkey, 3 doubles and 4 singles)
    Spares: 52% picked up

Single Pin spares: 75% (3/4)
    Left a single 2-pin, 5-pin, 6-pin (missed), and 10-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 46% (7/15)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 1-2-8 (3x).

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 171.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 174.67.

I'll take a 500+ series on conditions like that. Not happy about it...but at least with the oil being freshly applied the shot was at least consistent for a change. With that much oil, that seemed to go all the way out to about 55ft...and the oil line outside of 10...probably around 7-8...I had really no choice with my rev rate and speed but to play the outside line. The Bullet Train didn't look good out there...so I used the Rhythm...even though....it made it difficult to get back to the pocket consistently.

Spares on my HATE LIST:
    1) 1-2-4-10
    2) 1-2-8
    3) 1-2-4-7
    4) 2-4-5-8
    5) 2-4-5

I've left these WAY too much and am getting rather tired of it.

The team was missing 3 bowlers to start so fortunately I got a sub. That was actually my first time ever using a sub. And we split on the night against a good team so I guess that's not horrible in terms of the team.

I still need to work on the new, shorter, quicker footwork. I tried it in practice and Game 1 but it wasn't working...so I put it on the shelf until practice time.

Pre-League Practice: low oil synthetics

534 Series: 168-181-185
    Again tried to work on my new footwork/approach before league play, but it just wasn't working out. I just used the Slingshot because the lanes were really dry and I wasn't really playing for 'score' as much as just warming up. Midway through Game 2 I switched to my old "lofting to the arrows" style just to loosen up, and I ended up running a few strikes together. Game 3 I buckled down a bit, got a little more focused, and tried to get ready for league play and the only frame I didn't get 9 or 10 with the first ball was the 3rd frame when I left the 4-10 split...but I was still happy that it looked like the approach/timing was working.

Pinpal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.88 pins
    Strikes: 37% (1 turkey, 1 double and 7 singles)
    Spares: 65% picked up

Single Pin spares: 90% (9/10)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 3-pin, 5-pin, 7-pin, and 10-pin (2x each).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 2-pin, 8-pin, 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 40% (4/10)
    Most common multi-pin spare leave: 4-6-7 split (3x).

Splits: 0% (0/5)

Average over 3 games: 178.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 180.67.

Wednesday League Night: medium oil synthetics

507 Series: 190-161-156
    Oh how the mighty have fallen!! A 671 last week...and this week I struggle just to stay above 500!! : (

Game 1; 2 opens, 2 spares, and a strike on the left lane. Struck 4/5 times on the right lane. Bowled my average so I wasn't too upset. Just couldn't figure out the left lane. Started out missing right...adjusted....started missing left.

Game 2 I missed right on the left lane and decided to move a little right and ball down....seemed to work a couple frames...then missed left..then right...still couldn't figure out the left lane. And I started missing right on the right lane as well so I was really having problems. : ( : (

Last week, game 3, ...struck the front 8 and had my first legitimate shot at my first 300 perfect game....this week I tied our leadoff bowler (who averages about 97 and throws a house ball). Again, I was almost clean on the right lane...but 3 more opens on the left lane...even balled down to the Encounter (A)...just couldn't figure it out.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.66 pins
    Strikes: 31% (1 turkey, 1 double, and 5 singles)
    Spares: 57% picked up

Single Pin spares: 88% (8/9)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (4x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 2-pin, 4-pin, 6-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 33% (4/12)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 2-5 and 2-4-5 (2x each).

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 169.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 172.00.

Well, I get promoted to anchor and then poo the bed immediately!! Nice.

But...I'm not as completely upset and distraught as I'd normally be:

1) I still finished over 500.
    2) The old anchor that asked to switch with me because he didn't feel comfortable bowling anchor...bowled a 691 scratch series so obviously the move paid off for him.
    3) It was a very fun night, bowling a very fun (and slightly drunk) team.
    4) We took all 4 points and are inching back up the standings.
    5) Our lead bowler bowled probably her highest series...and her little boys were there so she was happy and they were hugging her, it was kinda sweet/nice.
    6) Our team bowled so well that I could "take the night off" and we still got 4 points. That gives me some wiggle room for sweeps in terms of average...might as well take the rare opportunities when I can. I'd never intentionally sandbag...but it's nice to have the pressure/load off your shoulders.

I think the biggest problem was the left lane...it was killing me all night. I just could never get a good line/ball/shot on that lane. We got moved during practice, so I never even got to practice on that pair before we started. We got moved due to one of our lanes breaking down during practice. So, my debut as anchor didn't go as planned/hoped...but we'll see how the next two weeks go.

Sunday Midday Practice: low oil synthetics

The JOY of living next to a bowling alley...roll out of bed at 11AM...wander over to the lanes...wander back.

601 Series: 209-160-232
    Mainly just working on footwork. Smaller steps, less pauses. The first two games felt a bit "off". I think the Bullet Train was just not a good match for those lanes...took me a couple games to move 1-4 boards left so I could use the oil line a little better. And Game 3 everything just came together. I had a 6-7 split in the 1st frame, a pocket 8-10 in the 4th...and on the second shot of the 10th left a 5-7 split that I converted...everything else was striking...mostly pocket.

569 Series: 189-214-166
    Game 4 I was still doing well...but by the end forced myself to ball down to the Rhythm in the 10th...but it came in left and left the 1-3-9 which I chopped to open. Game 2 was clean through 8 until I chopped a 6-10...otherwise clean. Game 6 I lost my strike line...and opened twice. But I was really just trying to work on form and footwork...the scores don't matter that much.

565 Series: 173-187-205
    Game 7 I had a few splits to contend with. Game 8 I only opened once and that was a 6-7-10 split in the 9th...but mostly spares that game. I think finally balling down to the Pearl Encounters...I had to move right a bit because they just weren't nearly as strong midlane as the first two balls. By Game 9 I had my strike line back but missed a single 7-pin in the 4th and another single 7-pin in the 10th...my only two opens.

Pinpal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.93 pins
    Strikes: 45% (1 6-bagger, 2 4-baggers, 2 turkeys, 5 doubles and 14 singles)
    Spares: 66% picked up

Single Pin spares: 80% (17/21)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (9x).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 2-pin, 8-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 55% (16/29)
    Most common multi-pin spare leaves: 4-7, 6-10, and 2-4-5 (3x each).

Splits: 14% (1/7)

Average over 9 games: 192.78.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 197.78.

During the 232 game...and for much of the practice...I just felt like everything was finally "coming together". Maybe I finally had proper timing or something. But it almost felt like I couldn't miss the pocket. Now to get this translated into league play on Tuesday and Wednesday...that's gonna be the challenge.

Tuesday League Night: medium oil synthetics

551 Series: 159-192-200

Game 1 I just felt like it was going horrible. In truth, I only opened on a bad shot in the 3rd through 8 frames…before letting my teammates talk me into trying a Storm wrist brace…which when suddenly tried out leads to some very bad throws…so I opened in the 9th messing around with that brace. But still…it probably would have been a 161-169 game…not that great.

Game 2 I started out with a chopped 2-4-5-7 but then was clean the rest of the way. But it still felt 'bad'.

Game 3…I struck more…but I had some of the worst strikes I've ever seen…just watching it hit brooklyn or horribly light…yet 3-5 pins kinda just barely fall over…just horrible.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.58 pins
    Strikes: 36% (1 turkey, 1 double and 7 singles)
    Spares: 75% picked up

Single Pin spares: 100% (8/8)
    Left a single 4-pin, 5-pin, 7-pin (twice), 9-pin (twice), and 10-pin (twice).

Multiple Pin spares: 58% (7/12)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: n/a (12 different leaves!!).

Splits: n/a

Average over 3 games: 183.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: n/a.

WOW. Those stats tell a couple stories, don't they?

1) It wasn't as bad as I thought…a strike rate of 36% isn't that bad in that house.
    2) My spare shooting was exceptional…most of the time I'm between 28-59% on spares…tonight I was 75%. And one of those was due to trying out a wrist brace.
    3) My spare shooting was so good, at least in part, to leaving more single-pins and not leaving a split.
    4) Perfect example of how valuable spare shooting can be. I had a very poor ball reaction tonight…playing the 6-10 boards. It was essentially a straight shot…I couldn't get any movement…virtually undetectable break point…not at 15-16mph. My release was inconsistent…horrible axis tilt on at least half the shots.
    5) This kinda settles the "luck in bowling" debate. I mean, if you saw the kind of strikes I got tonight…light hit after light hit…pins slowly falling and tilting over…pins falling way, way late…it was embarrassing.

I think it was disappointing because I had such a good practice over the weekend…thought that might carry over. And there were approach issues…one side slippery and the other sticky. And thumb fit…the thumb was loose in the hole of both the strike and spare ball…one of the missed spares was the spare ball slipping off my hand. But, I was too afraid to add tape…worried it would stick.

And the team only got 1 point. Against a horrible team. We only spotted em 80 pins of handicap per game…but they just all bowled well in the first two games…nothing we could do. We better win that damn towel because this season has been miserable and I want a prize.

Wow this looks so much like my night last night that its basically a twin. I think you had more strikes than I did but I did have some splits. I only missed one spare other than a split in 4 games and converted 2 of the splits but the high game was 189. One of these days I'm going to find a solution.

Current arsenal

Page 76 of 226 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086126176 ... LastLast