Page 86 of 226 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096136186 ... LastLast

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 32

Good luck at sweeps you could always try to bowl like me Friday league I shot 192-143-244 Saturday league I shot 148-255-167. That's how I've been lately its either all or nothing each game and just not a clue why.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 204

Wednesday Practice: low-oil synthetics, THS

Pre-Meeting Practice: 185-202

Got to the center a tiny bit early for the end/beginning of the season league meeting so I bowled my two free games (AMF, 2 free per week for league bowlers). Game 1 I only had 1 open on a chopped 1-2-10 washout in the 6th frame. But it was practically a dutch 200; double percentage of 0%. Game 2 I was able to double a couple times and my only open was a damn 8-10 split in the 2nd off a pocket hit.

Post-Meeting Practice: low-oil synthetics (but fresh), THS

After the meeting, the center reserved a block of lanes, oiled them, and let the league members practice on them for free. Gotta admit....AMF is really TRYING...gotta give them credit for that. I think they're starting to see the value of leagues despite Bowlmor's influence. I hope that continues.

551 Series: 200-171-180
    Bowled against my former and future teammate...a little friendly head-to-head match.

Game 1 I looked good...but chopped a 4-7-10 split in the 6th (too much hand on the shot) and chopped a 2-4-5 3/4 bucket in the 10th. LOTs of oil in the middle made some of the multi-pin and single middle-pin spares a bit tricky. Won the game.

Game 2 I opened in the first two frames...missed the 2-pin and a 6-10...both very makeable....not happy about that. Then a chopped 3-10 baby split in the 8th...3 opens = not good. Still won though.

Game 3 I was clean until I chopped the 4-7 in the 6th and then chopped the 6-7-10 in the 8th...otherwise clean....but other than a leadoff strike and striking out in the 10th...all spares.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.09 pins
    Strikes: 41% (2 turkeys, 4 doubles, and 9 singles)
    Spares: 70% picked up

Single Pin spares: 94% (18/19)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (7x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, 4-pin, 6-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 27% (3/11)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 6-10 and 4-7.

Splits: 0% (0/4)

Average over 5 games: 187.60.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 189.40.

I felt good. The multi-pin spare struggles were an issue. Like I said above, there was SO much oil in the middle that the ball just did not want to move at all which made my non-corner pin spares difficult. But that low multi-pin % is also a bit misleading since really only 5 of the 11 leaves would be considered "make-able" spares. 4 of them were splits and 2 were washouts (one of which I picked up).

The stats do point to an issue I hadn't seen as a problem while actually bowling the games...and that's the carry issue(s). Lots of pocket hits that left a 5-pin, 9-pin, 7-pin, or 10-pin standing. Going to have to keep an eye on that in Vegas and maybe add it to my "issues list" for my lesson later in September.

One of the issues I'll get some guidance on from Rob tomorrow...and that's my "line". As I've started to come through the ball and develop more revs and axis tilt and axis rotation...I am now able to swing the ball out more. So if I miss RIGHT...for example....hit my mark, but came in very light and left the 2-pin....

- In my old 'system'....a miss right is a move right. Simple bowling 101. But here's the problem...and I'm sure Rob knows a lot about this being the "modern bowling" guy. If I move right...feet only...lets say 1 board. Next shot...still light...leave the 10-pin (flat). Now I'm gonna make about a 0.5 board move right. I used to actually bring my target IN...but have been trying not to move my target vertically, lately to remove a variable. So, long story/example short....if I keep moving right...eventually I'm throwing the ball straight...usually right up the oil line. That shot doesn't carry as well as a shot with some better entry angle.

So, again...in the past...I'd have panic-ed and moved my target right...maybe my feet as well...trying to get out in the dry where I could get some friction. FAST FORWARD to NOW....and I've found that if I miss right...it's usually a speed issue...or I don't get the right axis tilt. But if that's not it....I find that it's almost better (than just moving my feet right) to move my feet a half board left...maybe move my target a half board right. And the REASONING is...I might be missing right simply because the ball isn't encountering the friction soon enough...so if I can swing the ball out just a bit more...as counter-intuitive as it sounds...I get better results and better chance for carry.

So...we'll see. I hate to abandon my systems....they can be very useful in standardizing your adjustments and resulting in less variation. BUT...the systems have to WORK...and there has to be a little "wiggle room" for intangibles like pattern and lane issues or just "feel".
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

I understand your want to put everything in a system and have one thing that is the correct answer when your facing a situation. Heck A+B=C is easy to understand unfortunately bowling in a lot of ways is more of an art than a science and trying to fit different lanes with different oil patterns and different amount of breakdown of that pattern just doesn't work. Learning what adjustments work for you in different situations and then having the confidence to execute after making that adjustment is the big step in the game. Quit trying to break it down logically and develop a feel for what you need to do and then build the confidence you need to execute it. You won't always be right but I've found if I believe what I'm doing is correct it's almost as important as actually making the correct move.

Current arsenal

Practice for Sweeps at the Gold Coast (Las Vegas):

Had a lesson with RobM in the morning and then stayed to get a look at the 3 balls and how they looked on the lanes.

Brunswick Lethal Revolver:
    456 Series: 175-142-139
    It was just way too broken down (post-lesson) to realistically throw this ball. I'll try to use it on fresh tomorrow, but once things start burning up, it's a tough ball to use.

Columbia300 Dark Encounter:
    532 Series: 151-179-202
    I had to make some adjustments...but finally found a line that worked...but by the end of Game 3 the lanes had broken down too much for even that ball.

RotoGrip Asylum:
    494 Series: 181-161-152
    Carry issues persist...but it had a nice line to the pocket. I tried to make a vertical targeting adjustment and that seemed to help the carry...but I think physically and mentally I was pretty much on borrowed time by Game 3.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.52 pins
    Strikes: 31% (1 turkey, 7 doubles, and 13 singles)
    Spares: 57% picked up

Single Pin spares: 75% (18/24)
    Most common single pin leave: 7-pin and 10-pin (7x each)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 2-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 46% (18/39)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 6-10 (6x).

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 9 games: 164.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 171.67.

Not a bad practice...not a great one. But the lanes aren't that tough. I had some sticking issues as the practice progressed and got a shoe cover 'just in case' I start sticking tomorrow. Rob gave me a Melee Jab which I'm gonna try to plug up and have ready for tomorrow. It's not much different than the Loaded Revolver in terms of specs...but it'll be interesting to see how it performs versus the Loaded Revolver given it's much newer technology. And it might be useful to have right NOW....because the Loaded Revolver is still in the pro shop back home...so this will give me a 4th option. No time to practice with it though...and I doubt the lanes will transition enough to use it tomorrow anyways...but like the cub scouts say...be prepared.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Practice for Sweeps at The Orleans (Las Vegas):

Put in some practice at the other center where I'll be sweeping in the AM.

Brunswick Lethal Revolver:
    518 Series: 170-191-157
    Was all around the pocket...but not as much bite as at Gold Coast.

Columbia300 Dark Encounter:
    542 Series: 171-169-202 (clean)
    Found a good line to the pocket...but the asymmetric core was very over-responsive to hand position.

RotoGrip Asylum:
    561 Series: 204-158-199
    Light hits early, but eventually found a line and the Asylum was hitting quite well. Game 2 the erratic nature of the Asylum reared it's ugly head. Game 3 wasn't bad, but thats only because the spare shooting was good. Truth be told I was too deep by the end of game 3 and just couldn't hit the pocket properly.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.69 pins
    Strikes: 32% (1 5-bagger, 1 turkey, 5 doubles, and 14 singles)
    Spares: 68% picked up

Single Pin spares: 79% (23/29)
    Most common single pin leave: 10-pin (11x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, 8-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 58% (20/34)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 1-2 and 6-10 (4x each).

Splits: 12% (1/8)

Average over 9 games: 180.11.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 186.78.

Did better than at the Gold Coast...but not good enough to win big $$ Saturday. Gonna need to tighten up the spare shooting if I'm gonna have a chance...and I need to string more strikes together. I think I'm gonna start with the Asylum at The Orleans. It was erratic at times...but overall gave me the best angle into the pocket and best carry.

"I think I'm gonna start with the Asylum at The Orleans. It was erratic at times...but overall gave me the best angle into the pocket and best carry."

With all of our discussion yesterday about preconceptions, do you really want to decide in advance what ball you are going to start with the next day based on a different pair of lanes and a different time of day? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    "I think I'm gonna start with the Asylum at The Orleans. It was erratic at times...but overall gave me the best angle into the pocket and best carry."

With all of our discussion yesterday about preconceptions, do you really want to decide in advance what ball you are going to start with the next day based on a different pair of lanes and a different time of day? Really?
    Not really. But given I got to throw about ONE ball in practice...it was either start with a preconception based on a recent practice, start with my most aggressive (true preconception we spoke about), or just flip a coin and let God and gravity make the decision.

Had I NOT spoke with you...I'd have likely just started with the 1st ball in my "progression"; the Lethal Revolver. But after our lesson...I thought; "Ya know...the Asylum...usually it's a little difficult to get it to make the turn on fresh...but with the Orleans having a shorter pattern..and if it's even kinda close to what I was practicing on...maybe go outside the box and start with the Asylum.

Also, the Melee Jab didn't really factor into the decision because I had it at K&K and the guy was drilling it for the VISE IT that morning...so I didn't have it as an option until the 12:00PM sweeps at Gold Coast and never actually got to throw it. I might bowl this morning and maybe see it in action. Thanks again for the ball!!

But yeah...our lesson was on my mind. Not so much the approach/shoulders stuff...I'm gonna have to practice that before using it in competition. But I was thinking about the progression discussion.

Sweeps in Las Vegas: low-medium oil synthetics, 37ft pattern

The 9:00AM sweeps at the Orleans is for my Tuesday league. The Tuesday league plays at a house with a 40ft flat pattern...it's a BIG league with 31 teams, lots of talent...and lots of folks with lower averages due to the center that the league plays at being one of the tougher shots in Orange County. I average 172 there....the highest average bowler is at 206 and he's the only bowler I've seen in that league that could probably play at the PBA Regional level.

549 Series: 176-182-191
    Game 1 was clean except for a chopped 1-3-6 in the 7th and then a chopped 3-6-10 in the ninth. Spare shooting looked 'okay', but carry wasn't there...which is the usual problem with the Asylum.

Game 2 I was clean through 7 and was finally getting some carry. Then a chopped 1-5-9 in the 8th followed by a 6-7-10 split in the 9th and a 4-6 split in the 10th.

That put some pressure on me in Game 3 as I figured I'd need a 230+ game to get into a place where I could get some $$$. I started out clean through 5...then chopped another 3-6-10 in the 6th before closing out clean.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.19 pins
    Strikes: 37% (1 turkey, 2 doubles, and 5 singles)
    Spares: 63% picked up

Single Pin spares: 100% (6/6)
    Most common single pin leave: 10-pin (3x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, 4-pin, 6-pin, 8-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 46% (6/13)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 3-6-10 (3x).

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 183.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: n/a.

Very similar to last year...but some of the strikes I threw last year turned in to multi-pin spares this year.

With my release improved...it greatly changes how important consistency and shot repeatability are. If my release isn't good...I miss right. If I move a little right to try and tweak the line...and I get more hand in the ball and execute my release better....now I'm through the head or going left.

This is my last season in this league. It's a nice center and I like most of the people...but the center isn't really focused on leagues or sport bowling...they bring in their $$ with college kids and rich kids from the affluent area. They allowed the pro shop operator to host a tournament last month...but it was the first tournament of any kind that they've hosted in over a decade.

I knew I'd need a 600+ series to win since everyone had lower averages and were used to tougher conditions. But, the chopped 3-6-10 in the 6th of Game 3 pretty much eliminated me from any chance at a decent payout. I think I ended up winning $33 total. This is DESPITE being the best player on the pair that morning and making it to the finals in most brackets. Very disappointing.

Sweeps in Las Vegas: medium oil synthetics

The 12:00PM sweeps was with my Wednesday league. A longer pattern at the Gold Coast. Most people in the league have higher averages due to playing at the easiest house in Orange County. Despite a 172 average on Tuesday and a lifetime 161 average...and 2 years as a mid-high 160s bowler....I average 190 in that house. Because it's a harder pattern than they are used to...and because they all have inflated averages...I knew my only REAL competition was the one semi-pro that has experience in other houses. Other than that...the conditions favored lower average bowlers where the pattern won't affect them as much.

514 Series: 177-200-137
    Game 1 was clean until a chopped 2-4-5 in the 10th. Game 2 I chopped a 2-7 baby split in the 7th and missed a 3-9 in the 8th; but struck out from there to salvage a 200 game and win $75 (for 3 strikes in the 10th). Game 3 the wheels came off. A 6-7-10 split to start things off. A missed single 7-pin in the 5th...a missed single 10-pin in the 7th...a chopped 2-5 in the 9th....then a 5-7 split in the 10th.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.69 pins
    Strikes: 37% (1 4-bagger, 1 double, and 6 singles)
    Spares: 60% picked up

Single Pin spares: 66% (4/6)
    Most common single pin leave: 7-pin (3x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 2-pin, 3-pin, 5-pin, 6-pin, 8-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 57% (8/14)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2 (2x).

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 3 games: 171.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 179.33.

I'll be in this league at least one more season on Wednesdays. The people are a bit questionable...some really nice and terrific....some that are just drunk delinquents. But the bottom line is this league has ruined any chance of me being competitive in tournaments or having a shot at bowling in the USBC Open in the lower division. As a low 180s calibre bowler...I now have a 189-190 average that will follow me around.

I bowled we through 2 games and had a shot to at least win $30-$150...but the 3rd game was one of the lowest official games I've thrown in some time. 3 splits in one game. And to add insult to injury...I didn't win ANYTHING in the drawings and stuff that they do in the post-sweeps meeting. A league of 85 bowlers...and they pulled 52 tickets worth $100 each....I probably had 22 tickets in the bag...didn't get called once.

Next season....I'll save myself the $5 for those tickets and the $1 for mystery score...and just enter the stuff that is dependent on how I actually bowl like side pot, skins, and brackets. If I win...it's because I bowled well. If I lose it's because I didn't. And after this past experience....I might not even go to sweeps anymore....unless I honestly feel I can finish Top 11 or so. It costs a lot of money to go to Vegas...even just driving from California. I went on the cheap this time around and really didn't do much other than bowl. But still...2 nights and 1.5 days...I figure I spent over $377 plus another $120 to enter the various side pots and brackets and stuff. So, just under $500 invested and I won $108 total...plus got a free ball from Rob...plus I won about 27 cents in the slot machines. I put $40 in...was up to about $81....cashed out before losing my $40. So if I add in the ball...I came down about $300. Not terrible...I've gone to vegas and been down over $1000...if you actually gamble a bit and take in a show and some buffets. But like I've said before...I put way too much time and effort into bowling to be a 166-183 average bowler.

Sorry you season ended in a disappointment. I know how that feels the end of this past fall season was a big let down for me and I'm still trying to recover from that slump. Hope the Jab works good for you from what I've seen a good ball and should plug a gap in that arsenal of yours.

Current arsenal

Page 86 of 226 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096136186 ... LastLast