Page 13 of 226 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Friday League: wood lanes/low-medium oil

521 Series: 178-183-160

First game I struck a fair amount, but spare shooting kinda sucked. Second game, exact opposite, only struck 3 times but also only had one open frame in the 1st frame. Spare shooting is the KEY!! Last game I was DRUNK…but still shot a 160.

Overall a bummer…no clean games…and missed my 525 goal by 4 pins. BUT…we took 4 out of 4 points!! Should be in 4th or possibly 3rd by next week!!
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

1st Annual Billy Hardwick Memorial Aslan vs. ZDawg Southern California Invitational: Temecula Lanes/Heavy-Oil synthetics

454 Series: 129-151-174
    As usual; struggled with spare shooting in the first game in a house I wasn't used to. Struggles continued in Game 2 but I managed to string a few strikes together which salvaged a half-way decent score. Things got better in Game 3…still wasn't striking a ton, but got better at picking up the spares I left.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 7.72 pins
    Strikes: 28% (1 turkey, 1 double, and 4 singles)
    Spares: 45% picked up

Single Pin spares: 33% (2/6)
    Most common single pin leave: 5-pin (3x).
    Only left single 5s, 10s, and a single 9.

Multiple Pin spares: 50% (8/16)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2-4 and 1-2-3-4-5-7-8 (2x each).

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Average over 3 games: 151.33
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 163.67

Definitely lower stats across the board than what I've been seeing. Slicker lanes, had a lot of trouble getting the ball to hook back into the pocket. If I missed a little I left the 1-2-4. If I missed a lot, I hit the 6-9-10. And when I DID hit the pocket, I left a 5-pin or a 10-pin.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Sunday Practice: AMF Riverside Lanes/Heavy-Oil synthetics

Went out to see M White at Arlington, but they were full, so I stopped at the AMF on the other side of town to get in a few games of practice on lanes I've never played before. They played a lot like AMF Carter in Fullerton…very, very slick…so more practice on heavy oil!

147-191-111-176
    Took a few frames to figure out the lanes. Then I strung a few strikes together, but was only 50/50 on spare shooting. In Game 2 spare shooting continued to suck big time, but a 1st frame strike and a 5-bagger netted me a decent score. Game 3 I was all over the place and spare shooting continued to be a problem. I needed to leave to get to a party, but couldn't leave on that sour of a note so I threw one more game. In game 4 I managed 4 strikes and a few spares to at least salvage something semi-respectable.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 7.90 pins
    Strikes: 37% (1 5-bagger, 1 turkey, 1 double, and 5 singles)
    Spares: 26% picked up

Single Pin spares: 0% (0/4)
    Never left a single 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, or 9.

Multiple Pin spares: 31% (7/22)

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 4 games: 156.25
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 164.5

Despite the slightly better score, it really was WORSE than yesterday! The 5-bagger saved my score….but 0% for single pin spares is unacceptable.

Still coming in right, no hook back to the pocket. I was only throwing around 14-15mph. I tried to lower the speeds 1-2 more mph…and could get a little more reaction, but less predictable.

I continued to try the DYDS approach but am having a little trouble with balance when tilting the shoulder THAT much at the foul line.

Monday Practice: Wood Lanes/Low Oil

551 Series: 156-172-223
    Started off a little rusty on spare shooting. Got back in my groove in Game 2. Game 3 was exceptional, first time I ever threw 7 strikes in a row. Unfortunately I opened with an open frame and finished with an open frame…so, *&%!

524 Series: 163-168-193
    Despite the high game in the last series, I switched balls and started playing inside. Each game was only a couple opens away from clean, so it was going okay.

486 Series: 143-151-192
    Game 1 didn't go well, so I went with what I call the "nuclear option". After 8-board, then playing the outside, then reluctantly playing inside…the "nuclear option" is going to high speed/loft. Ran into some problems with splits in Game 2 before salvaging Game 3.

545 Series: 192-169-184
    Spare shooting kept the scores down.

The lanes were pretty dry, so I couldn't stay outside very long. I really tried to play the inside, but the ball just wasn't making the turn. Rather than continue experimenting with moving deeper inside, I decided to get some practice with high loft/speed (chucking it). The disadvantage to chucking it is if it hits center…some nasty splits. The advantage to chucking it is if it hits either side of the headpin…the pins virtually explode.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.67 pins
    Strikes: 42% (1 7-bagger, 4 turkeys, 6 doubles, and the rest singles)
    Spares: 51% picked up

Single Pin spares: 61% (21/34)
    Never left a single 1-pin or 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 42% (16/38)

Splits: 30% (3/10)

Average over 4 games: 175.50
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 186.83

Overall, bowled better than I was on the synthetic lanes….nice to be HOME!! Tried to work on balance and accuracy rather than continuing to try and push the limits of DYDS. Still gonna work on DYDS…but I really need to work on some basics (like spare shooting) before I get "too fancy".

Friday Leagues: Wood lanes/medium oil

452 Series: 135-181-136
    Second lowest score in 5 weeks. I blame being upset due to some earlier comments on this webiste. I bowled as if I had "something to prove" and when it started off rough, I just couldn't "snap out of it".

In addition, I bowled against my former coach's team and after having a miserable first 5 frames, he tried to help me…essentially getting me to be straighter up and down, no DYDS, lofting/chucking the ball. Once he helped me, I felt kinda obligated to take his advice and changed my game accordingly. Many people would have just politely told him they were trying a DYDS method/technique…but I didn't want to **** the guy off or come off as ungrateful for his help.

The only "good news" is I didn't have to move much. I played the 6-8 boards the whole night. But for some reason (see above), I started pulling my shot again…which I haven't done in a very long time.

This is the last league play for the Frantic. It will be entering semi-retirement Monday. I want to focus on using the Rhythm and playing inside; developing my inside game. And I'll start using the Slingshot as my back-up/alternative/spare ball. Vegas is only 2 weeks away!

Tuesday Practice: Wood Lanes/low-moderate oil

532 Series: 154-210-168
    Had a 5-bagger in Game 2, but spare shooting was hit and miss.

520 Series: 171-199-150
    Retired the Frantic and switched to the Rhythm; I just couldn't get the Frantic back to the pocket without venturing to the 1-5 boards and I just didn't have the accuracy tonight to keep it out of that right gutter. More strikes with the Rhythm but the spare shooting was spotty at best. Game 2 was strong; 3 sets of doubles and the only open frame was a 4-7-10 split in the 3rd. Struck a lot less in game 3.

500 Series: 177-157-166
    Just really bad spare shooting in the first 2 games. Mixed in some strikes, but spare shooting was **** poor. In the final game, couldn't strike. 8 spares in 10 frames…2 chops. I didn't strike until the final ball to salvage 500.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.51 pins
    Strikes: 37% (1 5-bagger, 1 turkey, 8 doubles, and the rest singles)
    Spares: 55% picked up

Single Pin spares: 63% (12/19)
    Most common single pin leave: Single 6-pin (8x)
    Never left a single 1, 5, 8, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 51% (20/39)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 2-4-5 (3/4 bucket) left 6x.

Splits: 0% (0/6)

Average over 4 games: 172.44
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 181.11

In practice I was working on my release…trying to improve my follow-though "towards the pin" rather than up to the ceiling. I also tried to let the ball do more of the work; but thats a work in progress.

This was my "farewell party" for the Frantic but unfortunately it only lasted 3 games. During my time using the Frantic (over 7 months) my average increased from 121-147. I figure I put nearly 500 games on it in that time span. It was a great ball to learn on in a wood house. It was disappointing early on that it didn't have much of "snap" on the backend, making it difficult to use on medium-heavy oil…but as I started to understand bowling ball specs I realized it did what it was designed to do.
    Last edited by Aslan; 03-12-2014 at 01:21 PM.

Wednesday Practice: Wood Lanes/low-medium oil

457 Series: 146-138-173
    Spare shooting was rough as I adjusted to throwing the new tri-grip Slingshot. Struck out in game 3 to salvage a decent 173.

532 Series: 151-193-188
    Still was struggling with spare shooting, but managed a 4-bagger in game 2 and 5 strikes in game 3 to finish with a couple nice games.

483 Series: 187-161-135
    Suddenly spare shooting came back alive and was a frame shy of a clean game in game #1. Spare shooting only "okay" in game #2. Then in game #3 things just fell apart. I think my body/mind kinda was checked out after game #8.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.45 pins
    Strikes: 38% (1 4-bagger, 3 turkeys, 4 doubles, and the rest singles)
    Spares: 43% picked up

Single Pin spares: 61% (11/18)
    Most common single pin leave: Single 10-pin (5x)
    Never left a single 1, 8, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 35% (14/39)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2-4 (5x).

Splits: 0% (0/5)

Average over 4 games: 163.56
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 172.67

Mainly the practice was to get used to using the Slingshot which is replacing the Frantic in my bag. The apparent disadvantage is I can't miss right and have it come back into the pocket. It just doesn't have the hook ability to make that move. So rather than starting out at board 18 and throwing for the 8-board as a target, I'm starting out about the 17 board and targeting the 9-board. Minor adjustment of feet 1 board over to the right and target 1 board over to the left. The advantage is I'm now throwing only one weight (16lbs)...no more going back and forth from 16 to 15 when I'm using my Rhythm as my strike ball.

Other than getting used to the Slinghsot, I was really focusing on form and extension. I found that if I kept it simple and controlled...and reached out towards the pins...my accuracy was good and I was having success. Had to keep reminding myself to let the ball do the work. Still was trying to incorporate the DYDS into my shot...but only to the point that my form was good.

Overall disappointed that my margin for error to the right has shrunk...but my margin of error on the left has actually improved by a board...and I actually was striking more with the Slingshot than the Frantic AND over time I think it'll help my spare shooting. My house was supposed to switch from wood to synthetics in April, but now I'm hearing more like June...so the Slingshot should get some decent time as a strike ball in the 1st two months of Spring/Summer league.

Tired. Need a night off to rest the body (and thumb) before leagues tomorrow night.
    Last edited by Aslan; 03-13-2014 at 05:34 PM.

Friday Pre-League Practice: wood lanes/medium oil

229-199- 179?

Got to the bowling alley early so I decided to chill and get my drink on and bowl a few games. First game out of the gate, I was HAMMERING it! I had 8 strikes in game 1, but missed all 3 spare opportunities. In Game 2, still good, but in a different way…only struck 5 times, but only missed 1 spare.

The 3rd game I didn't really count because a fellow league bowler showed up and he bowled a frame and had me use his 2 balls in 2 other frames so it was just a mishmash.

League Night: Wood Lanes/Medium Oil

520 Series: 187-174-159
    Even though it wasn't a "bad" night…our team dropped 3 of 4 and finished in 4th place instead of 3rd…so it also wasn't a "good" night. And I missed my 525 goal.

Single pin spare shooting was good, but some trouble with multiple pin spares and splits. In game 3, only struck in the 9th and 10th…so obviously I didn't make an adjustment that I really needed to make.

Form, balance, and projecting the ball down the lane were my areas of focus and I did a pretty good job with it. Came in high on the right a bit too often, but I didn't pull the ball I was around the 6-9 boards all night….left heel between boards 16-20.

Off to Vegas for Sweeps next weekend!!!

Wednesday Practice: Synthetic Lanes/low oil

Needed to get some practice on synthetic lanes before sweeps in Vegas. Unfortunately I went with the cheapest option, $1 games at the local college alley. Oiling isn't a very consistent thing at this place…never know what you're going to get.

442 Series: 122-198 (clean)-122
    First game I just couldn't figure out the lanes. Not that I believe MWhite, but I think it was a reverse block pattern. Playing the outside the ball wouldn't make it back to the pocket…yet anywhere inside of the 7-board…it went straight at or left of the headpin. And spare shooting was rough…the Slingshot was hooking too much adding a bit of difficulty to the spare shots.

In game 2, first clean game in quite awhile. Only 4 strikes, so it was mainly good spare shooting. But in game 3, even worse than game 1. Only 2 strikes, only made 2 spares…just abysmal.

402 Series: 114-151-137
    More spotty strike rate with spotty spare shooting.

405 Series: 156-140-109
    The first game went well. I tried moving inside…but it wasn't really working.

397 Series: 122-132-143
    Just couldn't get the inside game to work in Game 1 so I decided to start shooting the Slingshot. Had to move outside though to get a good angle at the pocket….lanes were just too dry even for the weak Slingshot. Of course, playing the outside (5-7 boards) means 4 gutter balls on ball 1. Horrible spare shooting in game 3 though.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 7.43 pins
    Strikes: 20% (5 doubles and the rest singles)
    Spares: 39% picked up

Single Pin spares: 41% (10/24)
    Most common single pin leave: Single 10-pin (6x)
    Never left a single 1-pin nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 39% (29/74)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 6-10 (9x).

Splits: 14% (1/7)

Average over 12 games: 137.17
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 146.92

NOT what I wanted before sweeps in Vegas. The lanes were so dry that I didn't get the practice on medium oil synthetics that I was looking for. So now I'm fairly apprehensive about how things will go in Vegas. Took a step backwards tonight. : (

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Wednesday Practice: Synthetic Lanes/low oil

Needed to get some practice on synthetic lanes before sweeps in Vegas. Unfortunately I went with the cheapest option, $1 games at the local college alley. Oiling isn't a very consistent thing at this place…never know what you're going to get.

442 Series: 122-198 (clean)-122
    First game I just couldn't figure out the lanes. Not that I believe MWhite, but I think it was a reverse block pattern. Playing the outside the ball wouldn't make it back to the pocket…yet anywhere inside of the 7-board…it went straight at or left of the headpin. And spare shooting was rough…the Slingshot was hooking too much adding a bit of difficulty to the spare shots.
    That sounds consistent with a normal condition becoming similar to a reverse block due to usage.

The big difference is, you said the dry area started need 7 board.

That would have been a lot easier condition than Temecula.

Playing inside, a person who hooks the ball could get the ball out to 8-9 board, and feel comfortable that the ball will hook back to the head pin, generating a decent entry angle.

What we had at Temecula, was the dry area started closer to 15 board. So it was impossible to generate decent entry angle.

Slingshot was hooking too much? May I suggest a plastic ball?

Page 13 of 226 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast