Page 140 of 226 FirstFirst ... 4090130136137138139140141142143144150190 ... LastLast
Results 1,391 to 1,400 of 2254

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Good luck today

I see the ABT is going to be at your home house in a month.

Chats: 32

Goof luck Aslan stay out of your head and throw good balls

Chats: 204

POO.

75 minute drive, practice seemed to go okay, but the approaches were sticky...which is common in all the Brunswick houses I've been to lately...not to mention it's still brutally hot out here so that doesn't help. It was single-game elimination format so if I didn't make the top 14 of 26...I was done...no first game slumping allowed.

When we started, one of the tournament officials said to watch the scoring machine because it was giving them trouble in the AM squad. I struck, then came in light and opened on a 1-2-5-8, then struck again. In the 4th frame I left a rare single 1-pin and picked it up but the score thing messed up so the guy changed it. I struck again...third strike in a row on the left lane. I picked up a 6-9-10 in the 6th with my spare ball and then picked up a 4-7 in the 7th. I figured I could strike out and maybe have an outside shot at making the first cut...but I threw a gutter on the next ball because I went up a VISE insert and the ball just slid off. I had a couple more spares and picked them up.

The tournament guys were picking up the scoring papers and wrote down the wrong number then corrected it. But I noticed it said 144 instead of 154. I figured I must have fat fingered it in Pinpal so I had them expand the scoring to show all 10 frames...by the time they figured it out...the score was already turned in. It turned out the scoring machine didn't give me credit for picking up the 6-9-10 in the 6th. At that point they said there wasn't anything they could do about it...and I figured no sense in arguing since I wasn't making any cut...I doubt it it'll matter much in terms of payout.

So, about 1.5 hours in traffic home...and I'm back to being a 170s-180s bowler.

I need to get lower. I'm starting to see why I'm having so much trouble getting good ball motion...consistently. If I can't find a way to get lower...I'm coming too far behind or on top of the ball. If I can stay under the ball by staying low...it naturally is behind the ball. If I don't get low or I raise up... = weak release. Granted I figured that out when I struck on the last shot of the game. Oh well.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

People in Southern CA have no idea what brutally hot is, but it's all relative I guess

Nice shooting though. Hopefully you keep it up.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post

POO.

75 minute drive, practice seemed to go okay, but the approaches were sticky...which is common in all the Brunswick houses I've been to lately...not to mention it's still brutally hot out here so that doesn't help. It was single-game elimination format so if I didn't make the top 14 of 26...I was done...no first game slumping allowed.

When we started, one of the tournament officials said to watch the scoring machine because it was giving them trouble in the AM squad. I struck, then came in light and opened on a 1-2-5-8, then struck again. In the 4th frame I left a rare single 1-pin and picked it up but the score thing messed up so the guy changed it. I struck again...third strike in a row on the left lane. I picked up a 6-9-10 in the 6th with my spare ball and then picked up a 4-7 in the 7th. I figured I could strike out and maybe have an outside shot at making the first cut...but I threw a gutter on the next ball because I went up a VISE insert and the ball just slid off. I had a couple more spares and picked them up.

The tournament guys were picking up the scoring papers and wrote down the wrong number then corrected it. But I noticed it said 144 instead of 154. I figured I must have fat fingered it in Pinpal so I had them expand the scoring to show all 10 frames...by the time they figured it out...the score was already turned in. It turned out the scoring machine didn't give me credit for picking up the 6-9-10 in the 6th. At that point they said there wasn't anything they could do about it...and I figured no sense in arguing since I wasn't making any cut...I doubt it it'll matter much in terms of payout.

So, about 1.5 hours in traffic home...and I'm back to being a 170s-180s bowler.

I need to get lower. I'm starting to see why I'm having so much trouble getting good ball motion...consistently. If I can't find a way to get lower...I'm coming too far behind or on top of the ball. If I can stay under the ball by staying low...it naturally is behind the ball. If I don't get low or I raise up... = weak release. Granted I figured that out when I struck on the last shot of the game. Oh well.
    Learn to use tape with your inserts. The addition or subtraction of 1 piece of tape is less than the difference between your two inserts or if you need to refine it more change a white for a black for an even smaller difference. this is the second or third time I've seen you post about throwing a gutter after changing an insert if that's happening it's telling you the change is too much.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Tuesday Night League: Fairly new synthetics, tougher house pattern

491 Series: 135-173-183

Game 1 was 3 splits and only 1 strike. Spare shooting could have been better...but even had I picked up the make-able ones, I'd have only come away with a 156.

Game 2 I only had two opens...a 4-6-7 split in the 2nd...and a 7-pin in the 6th. But, despite 4 strikes...just couldn't run anything together.

Game 3 I started off hot, but a missed 4-pin in the 6th then a another missed 7-pin in the 8th...I think I was mentally spent.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.75 pins
    Strikes: 31% (1 turkey and 7 singles)
    Spares: 52% picked up

Single Pin spares: 60% (6/10)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 7-pin (4x).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, 6-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 45% (5/11)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: n/a

Splits: 25% (1/4)

Average over 3 games: 163.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 176.33.

Not sure what this pattern is and I keep forgetting to ask. It almost seems to be playing shorter...kinda like what Amyers described. I was all around the headpin tonight...but it seemed like I couldn't create any angle...and on the few shots I did (create angle)...the ball didn't seem to have any energy in the pocket. I could see a shorter pattern...that might be the problem.

I tried to move my target in halfway between the arrows and dots...to try to give it more time to read the lanes...but maybe thats the opposite of what I should be doing...maybe I should move that target out further...use a little loft...channel my inner Mika...and give that ball less time to read the lanes and lose energy? Or maybe I fiddle with my speed...use a faster speed/longer approach at that house....which I'm terrified of doing as it'll probably mess up my timing.

The polishing appears to be a must though...maybe even more so going forward. If the pattern IS short and I'm losing energy...I don't need to surface the balls...I need to polish them all or just use the Loaded Revolver or something.

I also have the fear that by the time I get this figured out...it'll be just in time for sweeps...and literally the entire league of 200+ people are going to hate my guts if I stroll into Vegas with a 165 average and drop a 670 series on them...they are NOT going to be happy.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Older Brunswick synthetics: medium oil

544 Series: 163-208-173

Game 1 I couldn't seem to carry...a couple opens...decent spare shooting.

Game 2 I opened on a washout in the 2nd and a 6-7 split in the 6th...but I ran enough strikes together to salvage a 200+ game.

Game 3 I just made bad shots...but I got lucky a couple times and then struck out in the 10th to salvage the 173.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.71 pins
    Strikes: 42% (2 turkeys, 2 doubles, and 5 singles)
    Spares: 68% picked up

Single Pin spares: 100% (7/7)
    Most common single-pin leave: 7-pin, 9-pin, and 10-pin (2x each).
    Also left a single 4-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 50% (6/12)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 2-4-5-8 bucket (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 3 games: 181.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: n/a.

Me and another sub helped the team stomp their opponents and take all 4 points. Makes up for the 3-4 points I cost them when I subbed against them.

Still messing with the ball spinner MWhite gave me...and I just don't think this house's shot works well with anything that isn't polished. The Dark Encounter at 2000 abralon (not polished) was hitting like a wet noodle. The Lethal Revolver (360 then 500 Abralon then polished) in late Game 1 and early Game 2 was just not working...finally I had to get out the Loaded Revolver that is just OOB polished and did well.

From my own experience, polished balls seem to work a whole lot better in the hot weather. Now that you have your own spinner, don't be afraid to polish up some balls for the next month or so, and put surface back on when the weather cools down.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    From my own experience, polished balls seem to work a whole lot better in the hot weather. Now that you have your own spinner, don't be afraid to polish up some balls for the next month or so, and put surface back on when the weather cools down.
    Yeah. That's what I'm thinking. Anybody have experience using a ball spinner and how to PROPERLY sand/polish bowling balls? And yes, I know SOME of you do. Because I'm not sure if I'm doing the polishing/sanding correctly.

For sanding...I'm just spinning it, applying pressure, then flipping the ball over and repeating. But I'm not sure how long I should sand each time...is there a standard way to flip the ball around?

For polishing...I've always applied a generous coat of resin polish....let it dry to a white film...then hand polished it with a cotton cloth. Now that I have the spinner, I polish it the same way...then put it on the spinner to remove the polish with the cloth.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Take a look at my bowlers grit chart, it has several charts showing grit combos and sanding times. Plus a chart to show the 6 sides of a bowling ball.

Bowling Grit Chart:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~litefroze...t_chart_v2.pdf

The important thing on a spinner is not to lean on (apply excessive pressure to) your abrasives let them do the work of cutting.

With polishes (or cleaners) don't use more than is needed. A lot of bottles say Use generous amount or use liberally, that just makes you waste it.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Page 140 of 226 FirstFirst ... 4090130136137138139140141142143144150190 ... LastLast