Page 167 of 226 FirstFirst ... 67117157163164165166167168169170171177217 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 2253

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Nice shooting - good string of series there!

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by mc_runner View Post
    Nice shooting - good string of series there!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Based on the opinion you've expressed on bowling THS,
    maybe the appropriate congratulations should be something more like;

Nice work, you suck less than you used to, keep it up ! lol
    That's about right.

Friday League Night (subbing)
    Older Brunswick synthetics: low oil synthetics

648 Series: 177 - 235 - 236

Was running late and missed practice...so I had to figure the shot out on the fly. I started WAY too far outside...playing the 9-10 boards and standing right of center. It wasn't a bad game, per se...a 4-6-7 split in the 1st frame and Big Four in the 4th frame...but a missed 10-pin in the 9th was what really did me in.

Game 2 my only open was a chopped 3-6 in the 2nd frame.

Game 3 I was able to continue to use the Innovate...never needed to switch to the Scandal Pearl. Only open was an embarrassing miss on a single 9-pin conversion...of course, in the 9th frame...so that really bit me in the %#*.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.35 pins
    Strikes: 64% (2 5-baggers, 1 turkey, 3 doubles, and 3 singles)
    Spares: 58% picked up

Single Pin spares: 71% (5/7)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 9-pin and 10-pin (2x each).
    Also left a single 4-pin, 7-pin, and 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 40% (2/5)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: n/a

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 216.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 223.67.

POSITIVES
    - First multi-234+ series in this league...first one since 5/6/2015...and that one was bowled at the easier AMF center.

NEGATIVES
    - A fair amount of those strikes were not "textbook" by any means. Had I been bowling on a non-THS condition...I wouldn't have been nearly as successful. I was consistently missing a couple boards right of target for some reason.
    - The team lost all 3 points...not really my fault...the team was down a bowler and neither of the two teammates hit their average the entire night. Meanwhile, the other team bowled out of their minds in Games 2 and 3. But, still. If I'm going to get to the next level, I need to be able to carry the team...even when they aren't bowling well.
    - Single-pin spare shooting was improved over last week...but still sub-par. No excuse for missing a 9-pin in the 9th...and both missed single-pins were in the 9th frame...very "anti-clutch" of me.
    - The 177 in the first game knocked me out of all 5 brackets...no point in getting in brackets if I'm gonna bomb in the first game.

Something 'may' have happened in Game 3. It seemed like I "flipped a switch" and suddenly raised my game to another level. I don't recall feeling that way previously. I was focused...VERY focused. And when I was in that mindset...the only way I could "miss" was when the lanes started to transition. I honestly felt like I was going to shoot 290...and had the lanes not started to transition in the 8th frame...I would have. Now I gotta see if I can replicate that feeling next week.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post

648 Series: 177 - 235 - 236

Was running late and missed practice...so I had to figure the shot out on the fly. I started WAY too far outside...playing the 9-10 boards and standing right of center. It wasn't a bad game, per se...a 4-6-7 split in the 1st frame and Big Four in the 4th frame...but a missed 10-pin in the 9th was what really did me in.

Game 2 my only open was a chopped 3-6 in the 2nd frame.

Game 3 I was able to continue to use the Innovate...never needed to switch to the Scandal Pearl. Only open was an embarrassing miss on a single 9-pin conversion...of course, in the 9th frame...so that really bit me in the ***

NEGATIVES
    - A fair amount of those strikes were not "textbook" by any means. Had I been bowling on a non-THS condition...I wouldn't have been nearly as successful. I was consistently missing a couple boards right of target for some reason.
    - The team lost all 3 points...not really my fault...the team was down a bowler and neither of the two teammates hit their average the entire night. Meanwhile, the other team bowled out of their minds in Games 2 and 3. But, still. If I'm going to get to the next level, I need to be able to carry the team...even when they aren't bowling well.
    - Single-pin spare shooting was improved over last week...but still sub-par. No excuse for missing a 9-pin in the 9th...and both missed single-pins were in the 9th frame...very "anti-clutch" of me.
    - The 177 in the first game knocked me out of all 5 brackets...no point in getting in brackets if I'm gonna bomb in the first game.

Something 'may' have happened in Game 3. It seemed like I "flipped a switch" and suddenly raised my game to another level. I don't recall feeling that way previously. I was focused...VERY focused. And when I was in that mindset...the only way I could "miss" was when the lanes started to transition. I honestly felt like I was going to shoot 290...and had the lanes not started to transition in the 8th frame...I would have. Now I gotta see if I can replicate that feeling next week.
    Welcome to middle aged hand eye coordination. I occasionally have those days where everything is two boards right or two boards left. I can usually adjust for it.

Some times one bowler can carry a team but in a league with handicaps only a sandbagger can consistently bowl enough pins over average to carry a blind and two under performing teammates.

No place worse than the ninth frame to miss a single pin spare, or leave a split, or miss any spare for that matter.

Now that you've felt that "flipped a switch" feeling maybe you'll be able to get back to the zone more often.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Welcome to middle aged hand eye coordination. I occasionally have those days where everything is two boards right or two boards left. I can usually adjust for it.
    It's kinda like 'drift'...it's not a big deal if it's done consistently. BUT...the reason for two 9-pin leaves and a 4-pin...was that I actually hit my target on those shots. People may ask, "Then, why didn't you change your target two boards right?" Well...because if I changed my target two boards out...and missed THAT target two boards right...I'd had even bigger problems.

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Some times one bowler can carry a team but in a league with handicaps only a sandbagger can consistently bowl enough pins over average to carry a blind and two under performing teammates.
    True I suppose. The first bowler had a 112 average and I don't think she broke 300. The other teammate had a 128 average and he probably didn't break 350.

I'd like to think I bowled one of the better series last night....but a 142 average bowler had a 600-610 series last night...810-820 handicap series. Hard to beat that when I'm only getting 26 pins of handicap per game.

Tuesday Night League: newer synthetics, dry, short, THS

574 Series: 187-210-177

Missed a single 4-pin in the 8th frame of Game 1 and then a 1-2-7-8-10 washout in the 10th.

Game 2 would have been clean had it not been for a 4-6-7 split in the 7th.

Game 3 was a 3-6-9-10 in the 1st frame, a 1-2-4-10 washout in the 4th, and another missed single 4-pin in the 9th.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.84 pins
    Strikes: 43% (3 turkeys, 1 double, and 3 singles)
    Spares: 64% picked up

Single Pin spares: 77% (7/9)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (3x).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 2-pin, 5-pin, 7-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 50% (4/8)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: n/a

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Average over 3 games: 191.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 198.00.

Just a really tough shot. No matter where I threw my ball, there wasn't a drop of oil anywhere on it.

Normally, I'd have skipped the Reax Pearl...no sense throwing a strong ball on dusty boards...but I guess I'm so frustrated and confused regarding the shot at this center that I just said, "screw it". I managed to find a shot standing left foot around 27 and targeting 12-14 at the arrows...but a 1-board miss was liable to leave a 9-pin and a 2-board miss (or more) was left of the headpin. A pulled shot...even so much as a board...was through the nose.

I should have switched balls on the right lane midway through the 2nd game....but was able to push my shot a bit past the arrows and continue throwing the same ball (Reax Pearl) on the pair. I finally balled down to the Innovate midway through Game 3...almost more of frustration and curiosity than anything.

Single-pin spare shooting was not ideal. Two missed 4-pins...and had the lanes not been so dry on the outside that my plastic ball hooked a bit...I'd have missed at least 2 of the 3 10-pins.

I got to witness my first Dutch 200 in person...a sub on the opposing team. But the team lost 3 of 4...so, poo.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Wednesday League Night: low-oil synthetics, older brunswick lanes

592 Series: 201 - 212 - 179

My shot held up for most of Game 1...but only so much I could do with an inconsistent release. Game 2 was more of the same...mostly good shots...with some bad ones sprinkled in. Moved inside a little too quickly and in Game 3 I paid the price. Usually the Scandal Pearl and Game 3 are my strengths...but the opposite tonight.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.09 pins
    Strikes: 54% (2 hambones, 1 turkey, 2 doubles, and 4 singles)
    Spares: 60% picked up

Single Pin spares: 100% (7/7)
    Most common single-pin leave: 4-pin and 10-pin (2x each)
    Also left a single 2-pin, 6-pin, and 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 25% (2/8)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 6-10 (2x)

Average over 3 games: 197.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: n/a

A decent outing...but not very consistent.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post

592 Series: 201 - 212 - 179

My shot held up for most of Game 1...but only so much I could do with an inconsistent release. Game 2 was more of the same...mostly good shots...with some bad ones sprinkled in. Moved inside a little too quickly and in Game 3 I paid the price. Usually the Scandal Pearl and Game 3 are my strengths...but the opposite tonight.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.09 pins
    Strikes: 54% (2 hambones, 1 turkey, 2 doubles, and 4 singles)
    Spares: 60% picked up

Single Pin spares: 100% (7/7)
    Most common single-pin leave: 4-pin and 10-pin (2x each)
    Also left a single 2-pin, 6-pin, and 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 25% (2/8)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 6-10 (2x)

Average over 3 games: 197.33.

A decent outing...but not very consistent.
    Not bad especially if you weren't really on. Better than my outing last night. Had a sports pattern tournament shot 141-244-158. First game I just could couldn't throw the ball, second game switched lanes found my line immediately, last game switched lanes I could get the ball to the 1-3 pins but never could find an angle that worked but no strikes an open on a chopped spare and a split makes it look like you bowled like crap when you really didn't
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Not bad especially if you weren't really on. Better than my outing last night. Had a sports pattern tournament shot 141-244-158. First game I just could couldn't throw the ball, second game switched lanes found my line immediately, last game switched lanes I could get the ball to the 1-3 pins but never could find an angle that worked but no strikes an open on a chopped spare and a split makes it look like you bowled like crap when you really didn't
    Still...a 244 on a sport pattern is pretty impressive!

614 Series: 205 - 184 - 225

Two opens really ticked me off...and a first ball gutter in the 10th cost me 29 pins...but we won the game and I made it to round 2 in 7 of 9 brackets.

Game 2 I switched to the Innovate...but my recent surfacing experiment resulted in the ball not hooking much at all. Made finding the pocket a challenge and carry nearly impossible. Finally moved back outside and adjusted my line to the point I could strike...but it was only enough to barely salvage a 184...only a few more pins than I needed to benefit the team (more pins than the person I was subbing for minus 10). Cost me 4 of 7 brackets though.

Game 3 I switched to the Scandal Pearl...but I was so far back outside...it took some time to get lined back up. Struck 7 times to close out the game. Took the pressure off the team's anchor and won me all 3 brackets.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.82 pins
    Strikes: 50% (1 7-bagger, 1 hambone, 1 turkey, 1 double, and 1 single)
    Spares: 62% picked up

Single Pin spares: 75% (6/8)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (4x).
    Also left a single 4-pin and 7-pin (2x each).

Multiple Pin spares: 50% (4/8)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2-4 (2x)

Average over 3 games: 204.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 211.00.

POSITIVES
    - Helped the team take all 3 points.
    - Spent $46 (including tips) and made $54 in brackets...so I made money bowling.

NEGATIVES
    - Was looking forward to facing off against the team's anchor; the highest average bowler in the league (218) and a former PBA regional player...but he didn't show. I don't bowl quite as well without being 'pushed' by someone.
    - The surfacing experiment on the Innovate was a disaster. Had to move my target 2-3 boards right and 4-6 boards with my feet just to get back to the pocket...and there was virtually no carry when I finally did.

Instead of re-surfacing the Innovate to 2000 and then using Brunswick buffing compound; then resin polish...I switched the Brunswick buffing compound with Storm Phase 3 Ball Polish. Made the ball quite a bit shinier...and far less 'bite' downlane. I'm gonna have to experiment further to figure out how to use the Storm polishes.

Tuesday Night League: newer synthetics, dry, short, THS

497 Series: 156-132-209

A 4-7-10 split in the 5th, a 4-6 split in the 7th, then a 1-2-4-8 washout in the 9th...pretty much led to a horrible Game 1. Game 2 was more of the same...a 1-2-4-7 washout in the 2nd, a 1-2-4-6-10 super washout in the 3rd, a 4-6-7 split in the 6th, a 5-7 split in the 7th, then a 3-6-7-10 split in the 10th...led to one of the lowest games I've thrown as far back as I can remember.

Turned things around in Game 3...only open was a 3-10 baby split in the 6th.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.38 pins
    Strikes: 31% (1 turkey, 1 double, and 5 singles)
    Spares: 55% picked up

Single Pin spares: 100% (6/6)
    Most common single-pin leave: 4-pin (3x).
    Also left a single 6-pin, 9-pin, and 10-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 35% (5/14)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 6-10 (3x)

Splits: 0% (0/6)

Average over 3 games: 165.67.

I can't believe how difficult it's been to figure out this shot. Granted, I don't bowl here every week...usually 18-48 games per year. But still...I should have figured it out by now.

Any miss right...by more than a board...the ball comes slamming back through the nose. Trying to straighten out the line...same thing. If you get too far outside...like right of 12...the ball starts hooking before it gets to the first set of tracers...just past midway down the lane. And with the pattern playing very short (the oil machine stops at the far tracers)...and very light volume...a miss left doesn't hold...you'll go through the nose with a > 1-board miss left as well.

I tried to use the new "shiny version" Innovate...which barely hooked at my Wednesday/Friday center...and I couldn't keep it right. I tried the Track 300A...and it barely moved at all. Switched to the Scandal Pearl and moved inside a bit...but I needed to be exact or it would go through the nose.

And it wasn't all pattern. My timing was off in Games 1 and 2...seemed to miss right 3-4 boards on almost every shot...and paid the maximum penalty when I did.

Oh well...probably my last Tuesday night league in California...I wish it would have went better...but I just gotta forget about it and take some of the lessons learned...timing, etc... and bounce back tonight. I'm already booked to sub for a team tonight and a team Friday...then I 'might' have another Wednesday opportunity...might not...depending on when I get things packed up.

570 Series: 186 - 197 - 187

Couldn't seem to find much carry in Game 1. Switched to the Innovate in Game 2 but it took me 3-4 frames to adjust my shot. The shot quickly went away and midway through Game 3 had to switch to the Scandal Pearl. Things went well after that, as they usually do when I make the move to the Scandal Pearl.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.00 pins
    Strikes: 51% (1 hambone, 2 turkeys, 2 doubles, and 4 singles)
    Spares: 58% picked up

Single Pin spares: 75% (6/8)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (3x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, 6-pin, nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 44% (4/9)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 3-6-10 (3x)

Splits: 0% (0/4)

Average over 3 games: 190.00.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 194.00.

Well...I guess I can say I was consistent. And...I struck out in both games 2 and 3. And, the team took 2.5 points. And, it was my old team I subbed for in the start of the season and we had a good time.

But...when you have a 196 average...ya gotta do better than just "being consistent".

Page 167 of 226 FirstFirst ... 67117157163164165166167168169170171177217 ... LastLast