Page 168 of 226 FirstFirst ... 68118158164165166167168169170171172178218 ... LastLast
Results 1,671 to 1,680 of 2253

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Wednesday League Night: low-oil synthetics, older brunswick lanes

570 Series: 186 - 197 - 187

Couldn't seem to find much carry in Game 1. Switched to the Innovate in Game 2 but it took me 3-4 frames to adjust my shot. The shot quickly went away and midway through Game 3 had to switch to the Scandal Pearl. Things went well after that, as they usually do when I make the move to the Scandal Pearl
    This might be a silly question but if things usually go well when you move to the Scandal Pearl, what happens if you start with it, and use it as much as you possibly can?

Another question, it seems like you use mostly pearl / polished balls as I used to do, what has been your experience with dull balls ?

I was amazed to find in spite of what I've heard, that switching to a dull ball and throwing a more direct line, has been successful.
    Prior to that all indications were that those balls would dive into the nose too much and make me move way way left, now if I keep it in the oil for longer down the lane I don't experience that.

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    This might be a silly question but if things usually go well when you move to the Scandal Pearl, what happens if you start with it, and use it as much as you possibly can?
    Not a silly question. Amyers has suggested the same thing.

The answer is a bit long-winded (as my answers tend to be)...but it has to do with my progression system.

There are essentially TWO ways of approaching an "arsenal":
    1) The benchmark/gut instinct system.
    2) A "progression" system.

The first is more common and easier to understand...a bowler just has a variety of bowling balls, kinda knows what his/her "benchmark" ball is, and when lanes transition (or they get a gut feeling), they can move to a different ball and perhaps a different area of the lane.

The "progression" system starts with your strongest ball and works toward a weaker ball (as the lanes transition). The progression system is useful for bowlers that don't want to resort to their "B-Games" or "C-Games"...and they can generally stay in one area for most of the night. However, there are two types of "progressions"; the difference being whether or not you encounter "carrydown".

"Carrydown" is when oil is pushed up the lane, rather than simply soaked into balls. Carrydown used to be a significant factor in bowling and is less so now due to resin tending to "soak up" oil rather than push it around. While many modern bowling experts (like RobM) have all but dismissed the idea of "carrydown"; many pros still consider carrydown a factor and carrydown can be a factor if there are a number of bowlers not using reactive resin balls. Whether the pros that still believe in "carrydown" do so because even pro bowlers tend to stubbornly hold on to outdated ideas...or because it's still a factor...is an open debate.

So, regarding your question, being someone that considers carrydown a factor that I have to take into account....my progression isn't simply: strongest, weaker, weakest. My progression needs to be: strongest, weaker, stronger. In other words...I have to "flip" ball #2 and ball #3..because I need to not only battle transition, but also battle carrydown that usually develops after the lanes start to transition.

Another question, it seems like you use mostly pearl / polished balls as I used to do, what has been your experience with dull balls ?
    There's two reasons why my arsenal is entirely polished Pearls:
    1) Most lanes I bowl on tend to be drier. Without surfaced balls....I'd have a problem bowling on some longer/higher volume patterns and would have to make surface adjustments. But, the only house anywhere near me that would even come close to being medium oil would be Irvine Lanes and I hardly ever bowl there.
    2) I set up this arsenal attempting to keep some things constant so I could evaluate other specs/factors. So, all of these balls are pearl covers and have a 2.49 RG. And, although I've been experimenting lately with the surface, I usually surfaced each of them with Crown Factory Compound so they'd have similar surfaces (although different underlying surfaces).

I was amazed to find in spite of what I've heard, that switching to a dull ball and throwing a more direct line, has been successful.
    Prior to that all indications were that those balls would dive into the nose too much and make me move way way left, now if I keep it in the oil for longer down the lane I don't experience that.
    I'm not opposed to using duller equipment...but earlier in my bowling "journey" I attempted to surface my way to success and learned the lesson of "balls rolling out"....a concept that was new to me at the time. Essentially, by trying to put a ton of surface on the balls and throw them on a THS...I got the opposite result that I was looking for...balls that didn't really hook at all...because they rolled out well before the pocket.

Like I said above...if I bowled on synthetics that put down heavier volumes or longer patterns...or in a sport/experience league...given my stroker classification...I'd certainly need to expand my arsenal to include some solids/surfaced balls.

The other factor to consider is the "mental side" of the game and confidence. We all have balls in our arsenals that we aren't necessarily confident in. In my first arsenal it was the Columbia300 Encounter. In my previous arsenal it was the Columbia300 Dark Encounter. In this arsenal it's the Ebonite Innovate. The Innovate "serves a purpose" as a sort of "band-aid" to get me from the Reax Pearl that I know I can throw well; but it's just too strong to use for more than 1-2 games...unless I want to spend the rest of the night shooting 10-pins. But I can't just skip the Innovate and go to the Scandal Pearl...because if there isn't any carrydown....the Scandal Pearl behaves alot like the Melee Jab I used to throw...and it'll get really "jumpy". And. some of that becomes "mental" where in the back of your mind you're thinking "Uh oh....I gotta switch to the Innovate....this is gonna suck." Then, you subconsciously do things like "try to make it hook" or try to put more hand in it, etc...

A long answer...but, as you saw in the other progression/arsenal discussion threads...a complicated topic.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Not a silly question. Amyers has suggested the same thing.

The answer is a bit long-winded (as my answers tend to be)...but it has to do with my progression system.

There are essentially TWO ways of approaching an "arsenal":
    1) The benchmark/gut instinct system.
    2) A "progression" system.

The first is more common and easier to understand...a bowler just has a variety of bowling balls, kinda knows what his/her "benchmark" ball is, and when lanes transition (or they get a gut feeling), they can move to a different ball and perhaps a different area of the lane.

The "progression" system starts with your strongest ball and works toward a weaker ball (as the lanes transition). The progression system is useful for bowlers that don't want to resort to their "B-Games" or "C-Games"...and they can generally stay in one area for most of the night. However, there are two types of "progressions"; the difference being whether or not you encounter "carrydown".

"Carrydown" is when oil is pushed up the lane, rather than simply soaked into balls. Carrydown used to be a significant factor in bowling and is less so now due to resin tending to "soak up" oil rather than push it around. While many modern bowling experts (like RobM) have all but dismissed the idea of "carrydown"; many pros still consider carrydown a factor and carrydown can be a factor if there are a number of bowlers not using reactive resin balls. Whether the pros that still believe in "carrydown" do so because even pro bowlers tend to stubbornly hold on to outdated ideas...or because it's still a factor...is an open debate.

So, regarding your question, being someone that considers carrydown a factor that I have to take into account....my progression isn't simply: strongest, weaker, weakest. My progression needs to be: strongest, weaker, stronger. In other words...I have to "flip" ball #2 and ball #3..because I need to not only battle transition, but also battle carrydown that usually develops after the lanes start to transition.

There's two reasons why my arsenal is entirely polished Pearls:
    1) Most lanes I bowl on tend to be drier. Without surfaced balls....I'd have a problem bowling on some longer/higher volume patterns and would have to make surface adjustments. But, the only house anywhere near me that would even come close to being medium oil would be Irvine Lanes and I hardly ever bowl there.
    2) I set up this arsenal attempting to keep some things constant so I could evaluate other specs/factors. So, all of these balls are pearl covers and have a 2.49 RG. And, although I've been experimenting lately with the surface, I usually surfaced each of them with Crown Factory Compound so they'd have similar surfaces (although different underlying surfaces).

I'm not opposed to using duller equipment...but earlier in my bowling "journey" I attempted to surface my way to success and learned the lesson of "balls rolling out"....a concept that was new to me at the time. Essentially, by trying to put a ton of surface on the balls and throw them on a THS...I got the opposite result that I was looking for...balls that didn't really hook at all...because they rolled out well before the pocket.

Like I said above...if I bowled on synthetics that put down heavier volumes or longer patterns...or in a sport/experience league...given my stroker classification...I'd certainly need to expand my arsenal to include some solids/surfaced balls.

The other factor to consider is the "mental side" of the game and confidence. We all have balls in our arsenals that we aren't necessarily confident in. In my first arsenal it was the Columbia300 Encounter. In my previous arsenal it was the Columbia300 Dark Encounter. In this arsenal it's the Ebonite Innovate. The Innovate "serves a purpose" as a sort of "band-aid" to get me from the Reax Pearl that I know I can throw well; but it's just too strong to use for more than 1-2 games...unless I want to spend the rest of the night shooting 10-pins. But I can't just skip the Innovate and go to the Scandal Pearl...because if there isn't any carrydown....the Scandal Pearl behaves alot like the Melee Jab I used to throw...and it'll get really "jumpy". And. some of that becomes "mental" where in the back of your mind you're thinking "Uh oh....I gotta switch to the Innovate....this is gonna suck." Then, you subconsciously do things like "try to make it hook" or try to put more hand in it, etc...

A long answer...but, as you saw in the other progression/arsenal discussion threads...a complicated topic.
    The lanes here are flooded with oil to med oil judging by comments from local kids returning home from other area's. They don't see many people in those area's using the higher powered balls, that a commonly used around here. Last night my buddy said he was throwing the same line his last game (227), as he was using in the singles at the USBC open back in March. He shot 650 or something there.

I'm glad my system is less complex, start in practice with the ball that usually works good, it it works in practice throw it in the game until I can't and switch to something else depending on what's happening. Last night I used the Hustle RIG for every single shot, spares included.

Given the success of the advice I've seen from Amyers, I would probably follow it and see what happens.
    Last edited by Tony; 05-18-2017 at 09:15 PM.

I'm glad my system is less complex, start in practice with the ball that usually works good, it it works in practice throw it in the game until I can't and switch to something else depending on what's happening. Last night I used the Hustle RIG for every single shot, spares included.

Given the success of the advice I've seen from Amyers, I would probably follow it and see what happens.
    There is a downside and upside to each system.

For example, the downside to the "benchmark/gut" system is:
    1) You have to be very aware of what is happening...and why...AND you need to know exactly what your equipment does.
    2) It is most able to adapt to new conditions (centers, houses, conditions), yet that adaption takes some time.
    3) You have to be able to consistently change lines, speeds, rpms, footwork, etc...

While I'm sure there are a good number of high average bowlers that are able to do those things, the vast majority of bowlers cannot. Then, the benchmark/gut system becomes sort of "trial by error/guessing"...which is going to really screw up a game and series.

For me, personally, I would have to not only gain a much better grasp on exactly what is going on (ex. wrong angle versus wrong ball versus burning out, where it is exiting the pins, etc...) with the shot...but I'd have to find a way to play inside 3rd arrow consistently, I'd have to develop a 3-step and 5-step approach option, and I'd have to work on developing 1-2 more hand positions that I could consistently turn to. I would also need to approach my arsenal in an entirely different fashion...because I'd need much more variability in my equipment in regards to things like RG, surface, covers, etc...

One thing to consider, and I know I risk insulting the All-Stars you bowl with, is that even the pros have a limited knowledge about equipment. That's why they have ball reps watching every shot, every ball motion, and recommending options. If the pros have trouble understanding how/when/where to play the lanes...imagine the difficulties of the average bowler. If you leave a flat 10-pin and can tell, with certainty, that it was because the ball had burned out (versus the angle being slightly off, the shot having a touch too much loft, a touch too much speed, a touch too little hand, etc...)...I'd venture to say you are in the top 2% of all bowlers.

I get asked all the time, by lower level bowlers and a few higher level bowlers, "what am I doing wrong?" The problem with this question is:
    1) If it's a higher level bowler, they usually don't really want the answer...they are going to do whatever they are going to do regardless. I bowled a PBA Regional guy Wednesday and after 2-3 strikes...I left a 4-9 split. He asked if I hit my target and I replied, "yes". He then said that my shot didn't have the same arc as my previous ones. He was essentially suggesting I aim a little more right and get the ball out to the right a bit more. But, I already knew what I was going to change...because a 4-pin, 9-pin, or 4-9 split is always a 1-1 move inside.

Was he right or was I? I dunno. On the next shot, I moved 1-1 inside but missed 3-4 boards right and left a single 2-pin. Maybe I was right and the ball burned out. Maybe he was right and the move inside negated the beneficial effects of my miss right. Hard to say on a miss.

2) If it's a lower level bowler...my response is always:
    a) Did you hit your target?
    and
    b) Where were your feet on the approach?

Most of the times, to my frustration, the answers are:
    a) I dunno.
    and
    b) I don't really look at where I'm standing.

Thus...I can't really help very much.
    Last edited by Aslan; 05-19-2017 at 05:49 PM.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Friday League Night (subbing)
    Older Brunswick synthetics: low oil synthetics

673 Series: 224 - 229 - 220

Took awhile to get settled in. I had practice, but for some reason by the time I started rolling for real...needed to make an adjustment. Got dialed in by the 7th frame and struck out.

Struck two more times in Game 2 before switching to the Innovate. Took me a couple frames to adjust my line after the ball change...then 5 more strikes. Should have been 8 in a row, but I left a stone 8 on the first shot of the 10th.

Game 3 I switched to the Scandal Pearl. My shots weren't as crisp, but the Scandal Pearl was alot more forgiving. A miss right could usually make it's way back to the pocket and a miss left usually hooked enough to go brooklyn.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.17 pins
    Strikes: 68% (1 6-bagger, 1 5-bagger, 1 turkey, 4 doubles, and 2 singles)
    Spares: 72% picked up

Single Pin spares: 100% (2/2)
    Left a single 7-pin and 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 66% (6/9)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 224.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: n/a

POSITIVES
    - Helped the team take 2 of 3 points from the 3rd place team.
    - Spent $62 (including tips) and made $110 in brackets and the card game...so I made money bowling.
    - First time I've ever rolled 3 games of 220 or higher in sanctioned play.

NEGATIVES
    - Had a chance at a 700 series...couldn't pull it off.
    - Had a chance at 690 (personal best)...couldn't pull that off.
    - Had a chance at 675 (best performance in this league to date)...couldn't pull that off.
    - Got knocked out of the scratch bracket by 4 pins...otherwise would have been 6 for 6 in the finals and made another $6-$18.
    - No clean games...1 open per game on 2 splits and a chopped 2-4-5-7-8.

Polished the Innovate using Storm Step 2, instead of Storm Step 3...still needed to move 2:1 right when I balled down from the Reax Pearl...but better than before...and an easier transition from the Innovate to the Scandal Pearl when the time came.

Nice series !

In your reviews of the new area have you discovered the oil volumes typically used as compared to your current area ?

Nice series !

In your reviews of the new area have you discovered the oil volumes typically used as compared to your current area ?
    Thanks.

No...I've found that such information (patterns, volumes, etc...) is virtually impossible to get unless you have a personal relationship with the center handyman. In an ideal World...every center would be forced to post the pattern in a public area for everyone to view...but I've yet to see that...anywhere.

My only hope is that the lanes where I'm moving are a close proximity and synthetic. I can adapt to slightly higher oil volumes and longer patterns...and it's highly unlikely I'll experience a truly "heavy oil/long pattern" house. But, wood lanes would be problematic and require me to reassess my arsenal. Not to mention, wood lanes are terrible in terms of preparing a bowler for tournaments, etc... since tournaments/regionals/USBC Opens are almost never done on wood lanes.

Thanks.

No...I've found that such information (patterns, volumes, etc...) is virtually impossible to get unless you have a personal relationship with the center handyman. In an ideal World...every center would be forced to post the pattern in a public area for everyone to view...but I've yet to see that...anywhere.

My only hope is that the lanes where I'm moving are a close proximity and synthetic. I can adapt to slightly higher oil volumes and longer patterns...and it's highly unlikely I'll experience a truly "heavy oil/long pattern" house. But, wood lanes would be problematic and require me to reassess my arsenal. Not to mention, wood lanes are terrible in terms of preparing a bowler for tournaments, etc... since tournaments/regionals/USBC Opens are almost never done on wood lanes.
    You might not find all the information you're looking for but you might come across something that gives the lane types and scoring systems if your lucky.
    It says VAL lanes has 36 lanes and newer AMF SPL11 lanes and Uncle Bucks claims to have custom "dock" wooden lanes....

You might not find all the information you're looking for but you might come across something that gives the lane types and scoring systems if your lucky.
    It says VAL lanes has 36 lanes and newer AMF SPL11 lanes and Uncle Bucks claims to have custom "dock" wooden lanes....
    Mainly I'm just worried about the wood lanes situation. The midwest, smaller centers, older centers...much more likely to come across wood lanes. And wood lanes would probably be a dealbreaker at this point. There's just not enough high level tournaments that are still played on wood lanes to make it worth my while to adapt my game and arsenal to those conditions.

As for scoring and stuff like that...I could care less. New scoring, old scoring...I'd be perfectly happy with manual scoring.

Mainly I'm just worried about the wood lanes situation. The midwest, smaller centers, older centers...much more likely to come across wood lanes. And wood lanes would probably be a dealbreaker at this point. There's just not enough high level tournaments that are still played on wood lanes to make it worth my while to adapt my game and arsenal to those conditions.

As for scoring and stuff like that...I could care less. New scoring, old scoring...I'd be perfectly happy with manual scoring.
    I certainly don't claim to know all the lanes in Des Moines, but also living in the Midwest a lot of the wood lanes places around me updated over the past 10 to 20 years or so. I would have to drive over 30 minutes to find a house with wood lanes, and there are at least 7 or 8 centers closer to me than that one. There might not be as much to worry about as you remember from prior visits to the Midwest, seems the AMF reps hit the bigger cities pretty good.

Page 168 of 226 FirstFirst ... 68118158164165166167168169170171172178218 ... LastLast