Page 217 of 226 FirstFirst ... 117167207213214215216217218219220221 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,170 of 2253

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Wednesday Night Established Men's League

Week 3

559 Series: 162-172-225

9 -, 7 /, 8 /, X, X, 7 -, 7 /, 8 1, 7 1, XX7.
    Timing was still off, and I think my line is too aggressive given my poor release/timing. I keep 'trying' to get inside the track...because I KNOW I need to learn how to do this if I ever want to get to the next level. BUT, I have to get my fundamentals back or I'm just shooting myself in the foot. Switched from the Trident to the Scorpion in the 9th.

9 -, 7 /, X, X, 5 /, X, 7 /, 7 /, 7 /, 6 2.
    Quickly switched to the Rhino Gold in the 2nd frame. I moved my feet right about 4 boards and my target right about 3 boards to account for the weaker ball. My timing and release seemed to improve a bit, but my accuracy was horrible. Even playing a forgiving line, you can't miss by 5-6 boards.

8 /, 6 /, X, X, X, X, X, 7 /, 7 -, XX8.
    Switched to the Force Pearl (FP)in Game 3. The Rhino Gold just wasn't carrying (in the rare times I hit the pocket). And there was very little miss room. I was wide a 'little' right in the 10th frame of Game 2...and it stuck me with a 2-4-7-10 washout split. The FP was AMAZING! Once again, bowlers on the opposing team (and my own team) were in awe of how much backend motion this ball has...with me doing very little to help it. Unfortunately, it took me a couple frames to adjust my line and a couple frames in the 8th/9th to readjust my line. Would have had a clean game, but my thumb stuck on the spare conversion attempt in the 9th.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.35 pins
    Strikes: 41%
    Spares: 61% picked up

Single Pin spares: 0% (0/2)
    Most common single-pin leave: n/a
    Left a single 2-pin and 10-pin.

Makeable spares: 64% (11/17)
    Multiple Pin spares: 73% (11/15)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 6-9-10 (3x)

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Average over 3 games: 186.33.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 191.67.

It wasn't a great night. It ended on a good note, but overall was not so good. I think I need focus on accuracy as my form slowly comes back. I also had a much slower shot tonight (10-13mph versus 13-17mph) and the slower speed actually helped my ball motion. Until my form returns, I need to rely more on the ball to do it's job rather than throwing a shot where, "if everything is perfect...I should strike!" Instead, I need to throw a ball/line/speed where I don't need to be "perfect". Will I be able to throw the Trident and Scorpion at slower speeds on the track? I dunno. I don't think the Trident will react well out in the track...but maybe I just start with the Scorpion Sting and ball 'down' to the Rhino Gold.

I know RobM tends to hate adjusting so that I can stay in the track...rather than challenge myself to play inside more. But, he also helped teach me to slow my feet down and let the ball do the work (kinda like in golf...don't overswing, let the clubs do the work). And, right now, I don't trust that I have enough hand in the ball to throw it right and have it come back consistently when I'm targeting closer to 3rd arrow. Given that lack of trust, far too many pulled shots, etc...

Positives
    - Force Pearl is a BEAST! I think it's going to give the Reaxx Pearl a run for it's money concerning the #2 spot on "Aslan's Top 10 Bowling Balls" list when I finally retire it.
    - My 225 in the 3rd game allowed the team to take total points.

Negatives
    - Cost my team a point in Game 2, opening in the 10th.
    - FAR too many 1st ball 7-counts! 10x plus a 3-6-10 on the final ball in the 10th (Game 1) makes ELEVEN times!!
    - Even though I only missed two...a 0% on single-pin conversions is always unacceptable. Looks like I need some more lowball practice!
    - STILL haven't won a card game! I've thrown a 232, 243, and 225 where I was the top dog on at least two of those occasions...yet I can't win a **mn card game!
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post

Week 3

I know RobM tends to hate adjusting so that I can stay in the track...rather than challenge myself to play inside more. But, he also helped teach me to slow my feet down and let the ball do the work (kinda like in golf...don't overswing, let the clubs do the work). And, right now, I don't trust that I have enough hand in the ball to throw it right and have it come back consistently when I'm targeting closer to 3rd arrow. Given that lack of trust, far too many pulled shots, etc...

- STILL haven't won a card game! I've thrown a 232, 243, and 225 where I was the top dog on at least two of those occasions...yet I can't win a **mn card game!
    So are you there to play cards or bowl? At least your last game helped your team take wood.

The track isn't always a bad place to play. Rob's point is that there are times where if you make adjustments and change ball to stay there your ball will wind up hitting like a marshmallow.

My own thought is that you need to work on your physical game more than practicing spares. Get the weight down, strengthen legs and ankles so you can get in that good finish position and get your timing right. Maybe a little positive self talk before each shot.

Good luck in next week's card game
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    My own thought is that you need to work on your physical game more than practicing spares. Get the weight down, strengthen legs and ankles so you can get in that good finish position and get your timing right. Maybe a little positive self talk before each shot.
    Sunday Night Established Mixed League

Week 5

529 Series: 179-182-168

Finally had a decent line with the Odyssey...but the physical game is still in the toilet. A lot of single-pin spares with mixed results. My standard '2-open-frame' performance. 6 /, 9 /, X, 9 /, 9 -, X, 7 -, 9 /, X, X 9 -.

Stuck with the Trident Odyssey until the 8th frame. Almost certainly the furthest I've been able to use it. Most likely because we were bowling the BYE, so the lanes weren't breaking down as fast. This was an even worse version of my typical '2-open-frame' performance in that I left THREE opens. More single-pin leaves with a subpar conversion rate. 9 /, 9 -, X, X, 9 /, X, 9 -, 6 3, X, X 8 /.

Stuck with the Scorpion Sting through till the end. And I think I finally figured out the slight adjustment I need to make when balling down to the Sting from the Odyssey. Kinda thought I should switch to the Force Pearl in the closing frames of Game 3...but I just made a slight loft adjustment instead. Shot 4 strikes in a row (on the left lane), but only once on the right lane...with 3 opens to boot...including the 10th. So, the score is a bit lower than one would expect when they strike 5 times.
    X, 9 /, X, 7 2, X, 7 2, X, X, 8 /, 5 4.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.88 pins
    Strikes: 43%
    Spares: 50% picked up

Single Pin spares: 60% (6/10)
    Most common single-pin leave: 7-pin and 9-pin (3x each).
    Also left a single 6-pin, and 10-pin (2x each).

Makeable spares: 47% (8/17)
    Multiple Pin spares: 28% (2/7)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a

Splits: 100% (1/1)

Average over 3 games: 176.33
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 187.33.

Positives
    - Starting to figure out the adjustments from the Odyssey to the Sc. Sting.
    - Even though we only bowled the bye; helped the team take all 4 points.

Negatives
    - 60% on single-pin spares.
    - Didn't bowl my average.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Week 4

580 Series: 221-157-202

7 /, 9 /, 7 2, 9 /, 7 /, X, X, X, X, X 9 /.
    Took a bit to get used to the lane conditions. Normally, although Rob and I have debated this, I have found that lane pairs tend to play very similar...in most cases. HOWEVER...that can change depending on a couple factors:

First, is it an 'end' lane? Lanes at the far end of the center tend to show more variance...which I would contend is because they often start oiling at one end or another...meaning you may have a "dump" of oil as the machine starts OR you may have oil evaporate a bit by the time the oil machine gets done with all the lanes.

Second, is the pair near the entrance/exit? Sometimes, the lane closest to the entrance(s) can perform a bit differently.

These lanes were at the far end...and the #1 lane played a good 2-5 deeper than lane #2.

A lot of the strikes were 'weak' or Brooklyn...but I'm happy with the score and only one open.

6 -, 6 -, 6 /, 9 /, X, 9 /, 8 /, X, 6 -, XX6.
    Hard to have a good game when 4 of your frames start out with a 6-count. Not to mention 3 opens...one being in the ninth. Switched to the Scorpion Sting in the 6th...but just never got comfortable.

X, 9 /, 7 2, X, X, 9 /, X, X, X, 9 -.
    Switched to the Force Pearl (FP) in Game 3. And, as usual, the FP was DOMINANT. Amazing ball! I think I need to tweak the surface just a little bit to maintain the length...but it worked great. Big bummer was the missed 4-pin in the 10th. I was perfect on single-pin spares up until then, it happened in the 10th, and it was the only non-split open of Game 3.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.73 pins
    Strikes: 45%
    Spares: 64% picked up

Single Pin spares: 87% (7/8)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (3x)
    Also left a single 4-pin, 6-pin (2x), and 7-pin (2x).

Makeable spares: 71% (10/14)
    Multiple Pin spares: 50% (3/6)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2-8 and 3-6-9-10 (2x)

Splits: 33% (1/3)

Average over 3 games: 193.33.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 197.33.

Positives
    - My 221 in the 1st game allowed the team to take the game and total points.
    - 7/8 on single-pin spares.
    - Did better with the Trident Odyssey.
    - Picked up a 5-7 split.

Negatives
    - Form is still not back.
    - STILL haven't won a card game! I've thrown a 232, 243, 225, and now a 221 where I was the top dog on at least three of those occasions...yet I still can't win a **mn card game!

Week 6

538 Series: 212-175-151

Have bowled this center enough where I'm starting to understand the line I need to play (on most nights). But, still relying too much on light pins and luck; and not enough on good form. X, 5 3, X, 7 /, 9 -, X, X, X, X, X 9 -.

Read the lanes well enough to know that it was time to switch balls late into Game 1. Made the change at the start of Game 2, the Scorpion Sting just didn't seem to be carrying, so I switched to the Force Pearl in the 9th. X, X, X, 7 1, X, 9 -, 8 -, 9 /, 9 /, 7 /X.

Then, things fell apart. Three splits, terrible shots, etc...
    9 /, X, X, 7 2, X, 8 /, 5 1, 5 4, 8 1, 7 /7.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.64 pins
    Strikes: 45%
    Spares: 41% picked up

Single Pin spares: 50% (3/6)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (2x).
    Also left a single 3-pin, 4-pin, 7-pin, and 8-pin.

Makeable spares: 42% (6/14)
    Multiple Pin spares: 37% (3/8)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2-8 (2x)

Average over 3 games: 179.33.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 187.00.

A couple reasons for the lackluster performance.

First, health issue. I usually wear a knee brace on my slide knee and an elbow strap. Recently, I've also been wearing a knee brace on my right knee as well due to pain I've been having in that knee. Well, all my braces were in the laundry, so I just bowled without them. My slide knee did NOT appreciate that decision and was almost giving out in Game 3. Hard to concentrate on making good shots when you're constantly thinking you're about to collapse onto the floor.

Second, VERY bad single-pin spare shooting. It looks better than it was because I was able to hit a 3-pin and 8-pin. But, on corner pins...1 for 4. And it was that 'thing' that afflicts me so often...I miss one...then another...then I'm done. Once I lose that mental edge, it's a self-fullfilling prophecy.

Positives
    - Learning how to play the Trident Odyssey.
    - Managed to bowl my average.

Negatives
    - Form still not there.
    - Scorpion Sting not as strong as I had hoped.
    - Corner-pin conversion = toilet.
    - Could have helped my team salvage a split if my 3rd game wasn't so awful.

Week 5

546 Series: 193-188-165

X, - /, X, 9 /, 8 /, 9 -, 9 -, X, X, X 8 /.
    After a 4-frame warm-up where I realized where I was supposed to line up and that the Trident Odyssey was just not gonna work. The lanes were playing a bit 'wider' than usual...and the Odyssey just doesn't seem to retain enough energy out there. The Scorpion Sting worked quite a bit better...although my ABYSMAL corner-pin shooting cost me a 200+ game.

X, X, 7 1, 9 -, X, X, 9 -, 9 /, X, X 9 /.
    The game went pretty well. Shot my average. But, another couple missed corner-pins through me off. I switched the the Force Pearl in the 10th.

X, 8 -, X, 8 /, 7 2, X, X, 8 -, 8 /, 9 /X.
    Didn't leave the corner pins during this game, but 3 splits. I made one, but left a 6-7-10 in the 5th and smashed the pocket in the 8th and was rewarded with a 7-10. Second game in a row where I just couldn't run strikes together.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.73 pins
    Strikes: 48%
    Spares: 52% picked up

Single Pin spares: 50% (4/8)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (4x)
    Also left a single 2-pin, 3-pin, 6-pin, and 7-pin.

Makeable spares: 57% (8/14)
    Multiple Pin spares: 66% (4/6)

Average over 3 games: 182.00.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 196.67.

Positives
    - Hit my average 2 out of 3 games.
    - First game "feeling" better. Better form, posting, release, balance, etc...
    - Scorpion Sting finally did well.
    - I think I have all my ball-to-ball adjustments.
    - FINALLY won a card game!. Weird that it was the 3rd game when I did the worst...but I'll take it!!!

Negatives
    - No games 200+.
    - 2 for 6 on corner pins! Just terrible.

Not really liking the Sunday league so much. It's a non-serious league and this has been two straight weeks bowling against an absent team. And I "get it"....even I don't really like going to bowl on Sunday night when I'd rather just stay home and relax...but, live and learn. Maybe drop this league and join another one during the week next fall.

Week 7

561 Series: 189-171-201

Could NOT find my line to save my life. Thought I'd start with the Trident...then switched to the Scorpion Sting (SS)...then back to the Trident, and ultimately back to the SS. Only "good news" was that I kept things clean after the 1st frame. 5 2, 7 /, 9 /, 6 /, X, 9 /, 9 /, X, X, 8 /X.

Same as Game 1, except stuck it out with the SS. Unfortunately, still couldn't really find my line...and spare shooting wasn't as decent.
    6 /, 7 2, 8 1, 9 /, 9 /, X, 8 1, X, X, 9 /X.

Stayed with the SS on the right lane...but switched to the Rhino Gold on the left lane, in the 8th. **** poor corner-pin shooting cost me a good score...but the triple in the 9th/10th helped salvage the 200+.
    X, X, 8 /, 9 -, X, 9 -, X, 9 /, X, XX7.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.85 pins
    Strikes: 44%
    Spares: 66% picked up

Single Pin spares: 77% (7/9)
    Most common single-pin leave: 2-pin and 10-pin (3x each).
    Also left a single 3-pin, 4-pin, and 5-pin.

Makeable spares: 66% (12/18)
    Multiple Pin spares: 55% (5/9)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 3-9 (2x)

Splits: n/a

Average over 3 games: 187.00.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 195.00.

It's hard to adjust my system to bowling against an absent team. The lanes just don't break down as fast...so...IF I get the right ball and am lined up right...I can score very well. But, I don't go through the usual progression, because the lanes aren't broken down as much.

Positives
    - Physical game still feeling almost back to normal.
    - Helped team take all 4 points.

Negatives
    - Corner-pin conversion = toilet...for the 3rd straight outing. The stats are deceptive...I only went 2 for 4 on corner pins...I went 5 for 5 on single, middle pins.

Week 6

598 Series: 203-171-224

9 /, X, X, X 8 /, 9 /, 8 /, 6 -, X, X 7 2.
    Did not like the Trident Odyssey in practice and decided to start with the Scorpion Sting (SS). REALLY wanted a clean game, but a 2-4-8-10 split killed that in the 8th.

X, 9 /, X, X, 8 1, X, 7 /, 8 /, 9 - 8 1.
    Despite the decent start, I switched to the Rhino Gold (RG) in the 3rd. That didn't work out so well. But, the SS line was too tight and I just thought the up-and-in up the outside with the RG was a better option. But, you can't open in the 10th, much less the 9th AND 10th, and expect to score well.

7 2, X, X, X, X, X, 8 1, 9 /, 9 /, XXX.
    After opening in the 1st frame, I had enough. Time for the "big gun"...out came the Force Pearl...which I just surfaced prior to coming to the lanes. Wet sanded it (6-sided) with a 1000 abralon, put it in the dehydrator for a couple hours, used Storm Step 2 (6-sided), then finished with resin polish (6-sided). I can also sort of thank the anchor on the other team...especially for striking out...because he was being a total douche, upset with himself that he wasn't striking, so he started getting all bent out of shape every time someone on our team would get a strike that he didn't think was 'perfect'. That just motivated me to pour it on. Score shoulda been in the upper 240s...but I nailed the pocket in the 7th and was rewarded with a 7-10 split.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.06 pins
    Strikes: 51%
    Spares: 56% picked up

Single Pin spares: 83% (5/6)
    Most common single-pin leave: 3-pin and 10-pin (2x each)
    Also left a single 2-pin and 4-pin.

Makeable spares: 69% (9/13)
    Multiple Pin spares: 57% (4/7)

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 3 games: 199.33.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 202.67.

Positives
    - Two games 200+!
    - Force Pearl remains a BEAST!
    - Helped my team salvage a point on a night most of them were bowling like 'poo poo' and the other team was bowling well above average.

Negatives
    - No clean games. Still opening , on average, twice per game...which holds down the score.
    - JUST shy of a 600 series.
    - Starting to think I might not have a spot for the Trident Odyssey. It seems to burn up when I throw it up the outside, and I don't have the hand to bring it back if I throw a more aggressive line.
    Last edited by Aslan; 09-28-2023 at 06:57 PM.

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

That's a decent night!
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-300; high series-739

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb View Post
    That's a decent night!
    Best one so far as I get back into bowling form. Still a lot of work to do though.

Week 8

561 Series: 174-208-179

Same as Wednesday, I started out with the Odyssey in practice but didn't feel comfortable with it...so I started off with the Scorpion Sting (SS) instead. Too inconsistent to score well.
    X, X, 7 1, X, 6 -, X, 7 /, X, 8 /, X 7 2.

Stayed with the SS and came close to a decent game. Didn't have the usual miss room outside. Missed right in the 4th and left the 2-8. Pulled the shot a little in the 8th and left the 3-6. The open on a 3-6-9 conversion in the 9th really cost me.
    X, X, X, 8 1, X, X, X, 8 /, 7 2, X8-.

Stuck with the SS for a few frames in Game 3 before moving to the Force Pearl. Got screwed in the 9th with a pocket 7-10 where the 10-pin finally fell...but I missed the 7-pin by about an inch and a half.
    X, 9 /, 8 1, X, 7 /, 7 /, X, X, 9 -, 9 /8.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.88 pins
    Strikes: 51%
    Spares: 46% picked up

Single Pin spares: 66% (2/3)
    Most common single-pin leave: 7-pin (2x).
    Also left a single 10-pin.

Makeable spares: 66% (7/12)
    Multiple Pin spares: 55% (5/9)

Splits: 0% 0/3

Average over 3 games: 187.00.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 190.67.

It's hard to adjust my system to bowling against an absent team. The lanes just don't break down as fast...so...IF I get the right ball and am lined up right...I can score very well. But, I don't go through the usual progression, because the lanes aren't broken down as much.

Positives
    - Physical game still feeling almost back to normal.
    - Bowled the same series total (561) as last week...which is above my average.
    - Managed a 200+ game.
    - Strike rate over 50% and most of them were solid strikes.

Negatives
    - Knees and achilles are sore.
    - Despite my efforts, team lost all 4 points.
    - Might not be able to use the Odyssey on these lanes.

Trying to focus on losing some weight to take some pressure off my knees. It feels like I have a slight LCL tear on my push-off knee and an aggravated MCL on my slide knee. I need to bend my slide knee to get leverage on the ball, but once I get to a certain point (of knee bend), there's a terribly sharp pain and the knee almost gives out.

Page 217 of 226 FirstFirst ... 117167207213214215216217218219220221 ... LastLast