Page 218 of 226 FirstFirst ... 118168208214215216217218219220221222 ... LastLast
Results 2,171 to 2,180 of 2253

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Most bowlers wouldn’t complain about lanes not transitioning fast enough. Even so I don’t know very many who look forward to bowling the blind. For some of us the pace is just not right especially after a bad frame when you don’t have time to clear your mind and reset. For others it just doesn’t feel right to not have a team to bowl against.

Good luck with losing the excess weight.
    John

Chats: 204

Wednesday Night Established Men's League

Week 7

475 Series: 159-151-165

S8 /, S7 1, 8 /, X, X, X, S5 2, 9 /, 8 -, 8 1.
    Did not "love" the Trident Odyssey in practice, but given you only have time to throw 3 balls with 10mins of warmup and 5-man teams...I decided to give it a chance. Just horrible. Granted, 3 splits didn't help...but it was pretty much just bad bowling. Terrible balance at the foul line and missed shots. Just horrid.

9 -, S8 /, 7 /, 6 1, 7 /, 7 -, X, 9 /, 9 /, 9 /X.
    Stayed with the Odyssey through 8 more frames. Using my system, it's hard to determine if it's "the ball" or if I'm lined up incorrectly (as in angle). It seemed like my line from previous weeks wasn't right...it was too "tight". But, as usual, as soon as I ventured inside of 10...either I jerked it through the nose or missed well right. Switched the Force Pearl in the 9th.

9 /, X, 6 /, 9 /, 8 /, 6 2, S7 2, 7 /, S8 /, 8 /9.
    Thought maybe I could salvage a 500-550 series if I had a really good 3rd game. That didn't happen. After throwing 8 strikes in Game 3 last week, I managed only ONE this time around.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.16 pins
    Strikes: 18%
    Spares: 64% picked up

Single Pin spares: 85% (6/7)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (4x)
    Also left a single 4-pin and 6-pin.

Makeable spares: 72% (13/18)
    Multiple Pin spares: 63% (7/11)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2-8-10 (2x)

Splits: 42% (3/7)

Average over 3 games: 158.33.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 161.33.

Positives
    - 4 for 4 on 10-pins?
    - 42% on splits...don't see that very often...
    - Picked up a 1-2-8-10...even though I missed where I was aiming and had to rely on a pin bouncing back into the 10. It looked cool anyways.

Negatives
    - Pretty much everything... I have a 1st ball I can't figure out how to use. My form was garbage. My aim was garbage. And, even when I hit the da** pocket...it left me a 10-pin or some other goofy nonsense!

I don't "hate" bowling very often...but I was ready to go home part way through Game 2. My team would have been better off if they just used my average tonight. And this is where coaching is SO important. I had bad nights back in 2015/2016...but I had two coaches...and I could go to either of them and say, "I've been struggling with balance" or "I can't find a line for this ball", or "I missed most of my 10-pins", etc... and they would watch me throw 1-2 shots and say, "Okay, I think I see the problem...let's try this." and BOOM! Problem solved.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Sunday Night Established Mixed League

Week 8

554 Series: 181-212-161

Tried to stick it out most of Game 1 with the Trident Odyssey. Wanted to see if I could throw it up the 2nd arrow...if it wasn't too strong. Made it through about 6 frames, but it just didn't seem to have the energy out there. I might modify the surface a bit to smooth it out a little. The game was actually going fine until I missed a 10-pin in the 10th.
    X, 9 /, X, 9 /, 9 /, 7 /, 9 -, X, X, 9 -.

Used the Scorpion Sting to close out Game 1 and through the 8th frame of Game 2. Chopped a 3-9 in the 2nd and missed a 7-pin in the 8th. Once I moved to the Force Pearl (9th), it was lights out (X, XX9).
    X, 8 1, X, X, X, 7 /, X, 9 -, X, XX9.

A lot of nice hits with the Force Pearl, but I also wasn't making very good shots. I still had a shot to finish strong and put the other team away...but I couldn't convert a 1-2-4-10 washout in the 10th for the third open of the game. Just can't open that much in a game and expect to score high.
    X, 9 /, 9 -, X, 9 /, 6 3, X, 9 /, X, 6 3.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.16 pins
    Strikes: 50%
    Spares: 53% picked up

Single Pin spares: 60% (6/10)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (4x).
    Also left a single 2-pin, 5-pin, 7-pin (2x), and 9-pin (2x).

Makeable spares: 53% (8/15)
    Multiple Pin spares: 40% (2/5)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a

Splits: N/A

Average over 3 games: 184.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 200.67.

Just didn't have it tonight. I was off-balanced, having trouble posting shots, my aim was off...blah blah blah.

Positives
    - Bowled above my average.
    - Managed a 200+ game.
    - My Game 2 performance helped us take Game 2 and 3 out of 4...against the 2nd place team.

Negatives
    - Lost the team a point due to my Game 1 performance.
    - If it wasn't for my anchor coming through (and their anchor bowling a split in the 10th), my poor Game 3 performance would have lost us Game 3.

This arsenal is really going to test the theory that a more expensive ball isn't necessarily a better ball. If I have to leave the Odyssey in the bag, and start with the Scorpion Sting...maybe use the Vintage Gold Rhino from time to time and finish things off with the Force Pearl; that really shows how more expensive balls aren't necessarily better...and can be worse...than lower-priced balls. At the same time, if I make that same move and there seems to be a "limit" to what I can bowl that is due to the technology of the balls...perhaps there is something to higher-priced balls.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Week 8

610 Series: 205-177-228 (clean)

8 /, X, 8 /, X, X, X, X, 8 1, 9 -, 9 /X.
    Started out with the Trident Odyssey and switched to the Scorpion Sting (SS) in the 9th. Managed to run enough strikes together to get a decent score, but my only single-pin miss of the night (in the 9th) really hurt me.

X, 6 /, 6 2, 9 /, 9 /, X, X, 8 /, 9 /, 8 1.
    Game wasn't as bad as the score ended up being. Opened in the 10th when I chopped my SECOND 2-8 of the night . Stuck with the SS until the 9th, when I switched to the Force Pearl (FP).

X, 8 /, X, 9 /, X, X, X, X, 9 /, X 6 3.
    Keeping this game clean was really the difference between Game 3 and Game 1. Another strong game for the FP, and my second clean game of the season.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.03 pins
    Strikes: 50%
    Spares: 68% picked up

Single Pin spares: 85% (6/7)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (4x)
    Also left a single 2-pin, 5-pin, and 8-pin.

Makeable spares: 68% (11/16)
    Multiple Pin spares: 55% (5/9)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 2-8 (2x)

Splits: N/A

Average over 3 games: 203.33.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 206.67.

Positives
    - Only 1 missed corner pin (4/5).
    - No splits (7 less than last week).
    - Averaged over 200.
    - Helped my team take all 4 points.

Negatives
    - Gotta stop opening in the 9th and/or 10th.
    - Could really start to score consistently well if I could avoid pulling some shots...which requires my timing to get 100% back.
    - Sore (elbow, shoulder, calf, knee).

Overall a good night. My point total definitely helped the team take all 4...as the 3rd game was terribly close. Surfaced all 3 balls (used tonight) recently. Surfaced the SS to 1500 and the FP to it's usual polished state. So, took some minor adjustments since the SS didn't have it's usual backend motion and the FP wasn't making as strong a move on the backend. Helped not having 7 splits (last week's total) tonight.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

nice evening!

Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    nice evening!
    ANDddddd.****!

Week 9

481 Series: 178-127-176

The Trident Odyssey (TO) seemed to be working in practice, so I stuck with it in Game 1. I had a great line to the pocket and my form wasn't awful. Switched to the Scorpion Sting (SS) in the 7th...which wasn't a bad ball change given I went X, X, 8 -, XXX to finish. BUT....you have to make at least ONE spare if you want to make your average. Just unacceptably abysmal performance in the spare shooting department. I think I struck out just because I was angry.
    X, 9 -, X, X, 9 -, 9 -, X, X, 8 -, XXX.

Used the SS for the first 5 frames...but my line was just too tight. I changed to the Rhino Gold (RG) and tried to open it up...while still staying outside...but it was abysmal. One of my worst games in a LONG time. The only highlight was a 5-7 conversion to start the game.
    S8 /, 8 1, 7 2, X, 7 1, 7 1, 8 /, X, 7 2, 9 -.

After one frame with the RG, I switched to the Force Pearl (FP). Took me a frame to adjust, but then I did pretty well. I just got penalized with splits when I missed. It took me till the 3rd game to finally pick up a single-pin.
    9 /, 8 1, X, X, 9 /, S6 2, 8 /, X, 9 /, X S5 1.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.79 pins
    Strikes: 42%
    Spares: 31% picked up

Single Pin spares: 42% (3/7)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (3x).
    Also left a single 4-pin (2x), 5-pin, and 7-pin (2x).

Makeable spares: 31% (5/16)
    Multiple Pin spares: 22% (2/9)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 6-10 (4x)

Splits: 33% (1/3)

Average over 3 games: 160.33.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 175.33.

Positives
    - Picked up a 5-10.

Negatives
    - Terrible carry.
    - My line felt too tight most of the night.
    - I was battling a headache all night.
    - We lost all 4 points.
    - Strike rate was garbage.
    - Could not make a spare for about 2 entire games.

Oh well. Last Wednesday I had a really good series...felt like I was "back". This week, it feels like I might as well just call it a season and see about getting my right knee (non-sliding) looked at. The left knee is always a little sore...just because it endures the lion's share of the weight when I slide. But, something happened to the right knee and doctors are clueless in dealing with it. They just gave me a flimsy brace to wear. How long do I have to wear it? Who knows? Their (doctors) best advice is to wear compression socks and a knee brace for the rest of my life I guess. God forbid they actually diagnose the problem and fix it. Maybe once ya hit 45 they figure you're not worth putting in the cost/effort. Like an old car. Why spend thousands of dollars on a car thats only worth $300?

Still gotta work on my balance and getting low. Even though "getting low" nearly causes my knee to buckle. But if I don't get low, I lose all the leverage on the shot and end up tying to spin the ball with my hand/elbow. So, still some things to work on before I'm back in 'game shape'. And my hopes of getting mack into the 190s (average) took a big hit last night. I think I'm down to 179 in that league now (185 in the other one).

Week 9

Get ready...you may see something you'll never see again...a person throwing a 250+ game and not ending up with a 600 series...striking less than 50% and picking up around 20% of single-pins...yet still being over 550. So, brace yourself. You may need motion sickness medication for what you're about to witness.

586 Series: 130-197-259 (clean)

6 3, 9 -, X, 5 /, 9 -, X, 9 -, 7 /, 8 1, 9 -.
    Threw the Scorpion Sting (SS) really well in practice and got a LOT of practice as most of our team and the other team were late. So, I felt loose and goo about my ball choice coming in. Then it started.

A left side bucket that I chop...I adjust right.
    A 2-pin...need to adjust right.
    Strike! Okay, I'm good.
    A 1-2-7-8-9...nope, I need to keep moving right.

So at that point, about a half a game in, I figured they must not have oiled the lanes or something. So, I switch to the Rhino Gold (RG) and figure I'll use my "dry lane ball".

Weak hit...I leave a 6-pin...I adjust right.
    Strike!...good, must be on track.
    2-4-7 on another weak hit!!

So, time to start over. Maybe the lanes have too much oil tonight, a wider pattern or more volume? So, I take out the Trident Odyssey (TO) and move back to where I started.

2-8...same thing...move right.
    10th frame...single 8-pin on another weak hit!

7 -, 7 /, 9 /, 8 /, 8 -, X, X, X, X, 8 /9.
    Game went surprisingly well...it just took 5 FRAMES to FINALLY find a line that WORKED!

X, 6 /, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, 9 /X.
    Despite the strong finish, I was still tempted to pull out the Force Pearl (FP)...my BEST ball...and the only one I hadn't tried tonight. But...I didn't know if carry down was a problem...and I FINALLY found a line that was working...I didn't want to mess it up. It ended up being a good call. Pushed the shot bad in the 2nd...and got a couple lucky strikes in there where the ball seemed to strike even though I was a little left of target...but the ball and line were just working. After striking in the 9th, I thought...I could get a 280 which would be my highest score ever...on the SAME night I threw a 130...on the SAME lanes. But, 10-pin...and thank GOD I figured out how to pick up spares in the 2nd game...because a 9 - in the 10th would have deflated me!

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.84 pins
    Strikes: 46%
    Spares: 50% picked up

Single Pin spares: 33% (2/6)
    Most common single-pin leave: 2-pin (2x)
    Also left a single 5-pin, 6-pin, 8-pin, and 10-pin.

Makeable spares: 57% (8/14)
    Multiple Pin spares: 75% (6/8)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 2-8 (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 195.33.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 209.67.

Positives
    - Obviously, a 250+ game. While these are a dime a dozen for TimmyB and company...very rare for ole Aslan.
    - Bowled above my average on the night.
    - Helped my team take 3 of 4 points from a VERY good team.
    - I won TWO card games...an even more rare of a feat than me being over 250 in a game!

Negatives
    - FOUR missed single-pins in the first game...including the 10th frame. Ya just can't do that.
    - Gonna have to find a coach or something. I need some additional strategies for balls hitting weak...than to just keep moving right.
    - Very sore (right?) knee and the Achilles was sore. I may end up having to get knee surgery after the season.

I'm too mentally unstable to have nights like Wednesday night. In game 1, I was thinking about quitting the season...maybe quit bowling for good. I was legitimately depressed. Then, once things turned around after the 4th frame of Game 2...I was on cloud 9. Bowling a 250+ game is a very good anti-depressant!

Week 10

544 Series: 178-165-201

Wasn't a "bad" game...but when you get two splits and open on a 2-pin and a 6-10...about as much as I could hope for.
    9 /, X, X, S8 1, 9 -, X, X, X, 8 -, S8 1.

Kept with the Trident Odyssey until the 8th frame...when I pulled out the Force Pearl.
    S7 2, X, 7 2, X, X, 9 -, 9 /, X, 6 2, XX5.

Ball change worked well. Had to adjust a frame, but then it was 7 strikes on 10 first balls. Terrible single-pin shooting continued.
    7 /, X, X, X, 9 /, X, X, 6 3, 9 -, X 9 -.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.94 pins
    Strikes: 51%
    Spares: 26% picked up

Single Pin spares: 42% (3/7)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (2x).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 4-pin, 5-pin, nor 8-pin.

Makeable spares: 33% (4/12)
    Multiple Pin spares: 20% (1/5)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 3 games: 181.33.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 192.67.

Positives
    - Team took 3 out of 4.
    - Increased my average by 1-2 pins. Back over 180 in this league.
    - The Odyssey at the 3000 finish is pretty smooth.

Negatives
    - This spare shooting is getting to be really, really annoying!

Overall good night. Two nights in a row where I had a 200+ game as part of the series. After 2 straight nights shooting a 120-130 game. So, improvement.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

so I take it your two misses (2 pin and 1-2-7-8-9) were very light (miss right) so you moved right?

What's your benchmark ball? My Teal Rhino (Mr. Teal) is so communicative about lane conditions that I can throw him in practice and get a pretty good read on what the lanes are doing. Long tournament - he tells me he's not strong enough OR I'll have to go very straight (which I did to begin with, but too many others were going straight as well and he told me it was time to get out of rush-hour and move way left and use a strong ball). House and parties on it - he tells me that it's gonna be "fun" . . . LOL

Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    so I take it your two misses (2 pin and 1-2-7-8-9) were very light (miss right) so you moved right?

What's your benchmark ball?. . . LOL
    Yeah. Usually on a 2-pin leave...not counting where I push the shot right...I'll make a 1:2 move right. The problem is...like everyone has sort of said...if you're not consistent in your release and speed...then it's not always the line. I will post last night's results here shortly...where I asked my teammate to look at my ball speed...because I always forget to look...but I had a feeling my ball speed was creeping up (it was...about 1-2mph higher than normal)...and that can leave the same type of 2-pin, 5-pin, 8-pin weak hits.

Page 218 of 226 FirstFirst ... 118168208214215216217218219220221222 ... LastLast