Page 52 of 226 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

When are you coming back to Vegas?

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    When are you coming back to Vegas?
    Sometime in early March…or end of February. Hopefully I'll be at least semi-improved by then…I was planning on being VERY improved but am now hesitant.

Chats: 32

Bowling seems to be two steps forward three steps back sometimes. Keep at it. Are you really only putting the ball in the pocket 21% of the time? How strict of a "pocket" are you using that seems really low? Maybe sport pattern had something to do with that.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Bowling seems to be two steps forward three steps back sometimes. Keep at it. Are you really only putting the ball in the pocket 21% of the time? How strict of a "pocket" are you using that seems really low? Maybe sport pattern had something to do with that.
    It's gotta be at least a semi-flush pocket hit. If I miss right but 'barely' knock over the headpin, I usually won't count that.

That 21% was an error. That was from my league night Tuesday and I forgot to change it.

Generally I hit the pocket around 60-70%. The 44% is what I'd expect of a sport pattern effect. You just don't have any room for error on a sport pattern.

As to why it was in the 20% range on the 5th and 6th...well, thats how I knew something just wasn't right. The combination of my new stance/approach and release mixed in with my new closer targeting...made the shot path much more prone to variance. As to why it is usually in the 60-70% range (if that still seems low); I think it's a stat where we all tend to think we hit the pocket more than we actually do. Even during a perfect game...lets say 1 shot goes through the head and one goes brooklyn...thats 83% pocket percentage. You throw a game in the 150-170s...a washout, a split, a brooklyn strike, and gutter then spare...now you're at 67%.

Not sure how useful a stat it is. Thats why I'm tracking it...to get enough data to take a look at it.

But no, it shouldn't be in the 20s unless something is very wrong. Thats why I had to give up on my "new technique(s)" much sooner than I normally would. I'm a firm believer in giving techniques you learn from coaching a very solid chance and not just giving up because it's "hard" or "different". I think thats what seperates me from other bowlers and makes me a good student. Someone like an Iceman, he's gonna get taught some stuff...then the next league night is just gonna go back to what works. Unless he sees a substantial and immediate improvement...he's not gonna do it long term.

I'm the opposite in that I will commit to the changes for a long time. Over the course of 3-15 weeks...I may set one thing aside or make some alterations...but the way I look at it is; "if I'm committed to being coached, I'm committed to whatever comes out of the coaching." You'd be surprised how FEW bowlers believe that. And case in point...if I WASN'T like that...how many times would I have switched back to high/bad loft? Trust me...the temptation has been there...many, many nights it has been there. But I know that I can't acheive the level of performance I'm after with that type of a release. And until I meet a coach that says "foo! Thats the PERFECT release!"...I'm committed to adopting a better, more modern style.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

That makes more sense I haven't played on sport patterns much although I intend to try some this summer. I agree with you on sticking with new techniques people see their scores drop a little and just say that didn't work way to quickly.

Current arsenal

You switch back and forth on the wrist brace i know. What is the difference for you when wearing/not wearing it? I have read posts where you talk about not really liking to wear it from the standpoint of almost thinking of it as cheating it seems. But there are plenty of great bowlers that have worn them and continue to do so. So if it helps your game, wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofbowling View Post
    You switch back and forth on the wrist brace i know. What is the difference for you when wearing/not wearing it? I have read posts where you talk about not really liking to wear it from the standpoint of almost thinking of it as cheating it seems. But there are plenty of great bowlers that have worn them and continue to do so. So if it helps your game, wear it.
    I have wondered about the wrist brace thing too but after working with my wife and daughters with one I have learned a few things. It really helped my wife who had issues with keeping her wrist in a strong position but not so much with staying behind the ball. With my oldest daughter it didn't help her at all she struggles to stay behind the ball and has a tendency to come up inside the ball in a backup ball style it didn't help correct that at all.

I know aslan struggles with wrist/hand position and staying behind the ball it could help with the one but not the other.

Current arsenal

Monday Practice: low oil synthetics

446 Series: 168-142-136
    First series I got out the old Columbia300 Blue Knight urethane, conventional grip, 14lb ball and used it. I just wanted to get back to basics. Had 3 strikes in the first game and NONE the rest of the way; so it was really a game to practice my spare shooting.

443 Series: 149-145-149
    This was a series of trying to find a ball to work on these dry lanes. Went through 4 balls in 3 games.

512 Series: 157-166-189
    Game 7 I was having trouble with splits; a total of 3. Game 8 I only struck once and missed two single-pin spares. Game 9 I was clean until I chopped a 1-2-4 in the 8th and then chopped a 1-3-6 in the 10th.

560 Series: 223-181-156
    Game 10 I was clean except for a 4-6-7 split in the 4th. Game 11 was also clean except for a 3-5-7 split in the 8th and a 4-6-7-10 split in the 10th. Game 12 it was a 5-6 split in the 7th and some generally bad spare shooting late.

489 Series: 142-210-137
    Game 13 was blah. Game 14 I opened in the first frame and then was clean. Game 14 was just miserable.

Arguably Useful Statistics:
    First Ball Average: 8.18 pins
    Strikes: 28% (2 4-baggers, 2 turkeys, 4 doubles and 24 singles)
    Spares: 60% picked up

Single Pin spares: 69% (18/26)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 9-pin and 10-pin (5x each).
    Never left a single 1-pin nor 8-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 48% (40/83)
    Most common multi-pin spare leaves: 2-4-5 and 6-10 (6x each).

Splits: 11% (2/18)

Pocket Percentage: 30%
    Pocket Carry: 102%
    Double Percentage: 20%

Average over 15 games: 163.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 167.93.

Another disappointing practice. After the urethane ball experiment the first series, I wore the wrist brace for the first 3 series. Had to take it off for the final series because it was causing me some pain where it was rubbing on my wrist uncomfortably. Other than that, I stuck with the arm extension but abandoned the "targeting the dots" for the practice. I think I'll leave the brace off for tomorrow's league play. As long as I have good form, good focus, and extend my arm towards the target…good things seemed to happen. The brace gave me better revs and rotation, but it sorta messes with my spare shooting and just isn't comfortable.

Carry definitely wasn't a problem. But pocket percentage left a lot to be desired. Lanes were uncharaistically dry…so the ball wanted to go through the center or brooklyn a lot more than usual. On the left lane, at one point, I moved very far inside standing as far as 43 and targeting as inside as 23.5…but that was a near impossible angle for me to play well.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofbowling View Post
    You switch back and forth on the wrist brace i know. What is the difference for you when wearing/not wearing it?
    It improves my release. Gives more more revs. Gives me better axis tilt and axis rotation. Better carry when I actually hit the pocket. And it keeps me from breaking my wrist on my backswing.

The downsides are; it makes me less accurate at spares…especially the single-pin, corner variety. It's bulky and uncomfortable and has a tendency to come loose. It has the potential to be a crutch and a hinderance to my overall development.

And while, 'yes', some high level bowlers wear them…virtually no pros wear them anymore.

We'll see. Maybe I'll dial the angle down a bit and try wearing it tomorrow for league play.

One of the reasons you don't see them on the PBA tour is until recently none of them have been willing to pay the PBA licensing fee. I believe Mongoose just did so you might start seeing some soon.

Current arsenal

Page 52 of 226 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast