Page 81 of 226 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591131181 ... LastLast

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Sunday Practice: 200-179-175-184

Was too lazy and slept in and missed church…so I got a little practice in instead.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.67 pins
    Strikes: 44% (1 turkey, 4 doubles, and 9 singles)
    Spares: 65% picked up

Single Pin spares: 100% (4/4)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (3x).
    Only left a 6-pin and 10-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 57% (11/19)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 2-4-5 (3x).

Splits: 16% (1/6)

Average over 3 games: 184.50.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: n/a.

Each game was similar. In Game 1 I had one open frame and in the last 3 I had 2 open frames. Spare shooting was good…100% single-pin, and I didn't chop a non-split until the 3rd game.

Was working on a couple minor things. Trying to keep my elbow straight until just before the release…not bending it too early. Also was working on being a little less systematic for multi-pin spares. Statistically it didn't work very well…but if you adjust for the amount of splits…it actually worked okay.

After about a game and a half I started trying a more outside line. Early on I was playing just outside of 15…but it seemed very 'straight' and just was too temperamental. Not enough room to miss. So I moved just a little right with my feet but moved my target out to like the 7-8 board. And that actually started working. But, then in games 3 and 4 I balled down to the Dark Encounter and still did "okay"…just didn't seem to have as powerful a move to the pocket as the Le. Revolver.

I don't like the feeling of being stuck at this score plateau (179-173-184). Trick at this point is to further refine some of the imperative items like stance, footwork, timing, release, and ball speed. I have a decent sized list of things to refine…and I worry if I try to find that next 'step-change' at this point I might revert to old habits regarding the basics. BUT…I think next week I'm gonna get in contact with M. Baker and finally cross that off my goal list for the season.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Tuesday League Night: 40ft flat THS pattern

559 Series: 147-215-197
    So lets see....over 4 weeks, Game 1: 147, 159, 145, 147. (Average = 150, SD = 6.4 pins)

Game 1...4-6 split in the 2nd, 4-10 split in the 5th, slid barely by a single 5-pin in the 7th, and chopped the 1-2-4 in the 9th.

Game 2 I started out with a 4-bagger...but missed a single 10-pin in the 5th and after that...kinda lost my strike line but still stayed clean the rest of the way.

Game 3 I balled down to the Asylum and was doing well until a 1-2-10 washout in the 6th followed by a missed single 6-pin in the 7th...my only two opens.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.09 pins
    Strikes: 44% (1 4-bagger, 1turkey, 1 double, and 6 singles)
    Spares: 58% picked up

Single Pin spares: 70% (7/10)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 5-pin (4x).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 2-pin, 3-pin, 4-pin, 8-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 42% (3/7)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: n/a (1x each).

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 186.33.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 196.67.

Not sure why I keep laying a royal flatulent egg in game 1 each week. But my guess is balance. Now that I've started to learn how to slide, my ability to stay balanced is slightly more tricky. Now I don't just worry about falling off the shot or planting over the foul line...now I also have to worry about sticking or sliding too far or slipping.

Other than that, was just working on/struggling with footwork and ball speed consistency. Any little increase in speed and I'd hit light and leave a 5-pin or 7-pin or 10-pin or I'd leave worse...like a 1-2 or 1-2-4...or even WORSE a 1-2-10. But if I adjust because of the miss...and then either get more hand on the shot or throw it a little slower...I'd leave a 6-pin or get the maximum penalty of a 4-6 or 4-10.

A good night personally...and I was really hoping to perform well since we were playing an experienced team...but the team as a whole lost 3 out of 4. I used the Dark Encounter for Games 1 and 2 as the lanes seemed just a tad too dry for the Le. Revolver. And rather than switch balls from the D. Encounter to the Asylum during the end of Game 2...I just waited to make a switch until Game 3 started. Definitely not getting the angle, power, and carry with the D. Encounter and Asylum that I seem to get with the Le. Revolver. Maybe drilling matters more than I previously thought (that's my only pin down ball) or maybe Brunswick truly does make better balls. Not sure.
    Last edited by Aslan; 08-12-2015 at 06:06 PM.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Good numbers man, in a league setting seems like often my best game is my first game, not sure why.

Wednesday League Night: low-oil synthetics

575 Series: 219-180-176

Game 1 I struggled with a new pair of shoes I was wearing. More slick than I thought they'd be so I missed a stinkin single 2-pin in the first frame…both the first shot and second shot I slipped and lost my balance. The rest of the game was clean as I paced their anchor. He's a 0 handicap bowler and since we're both anchors…I actually do better if I try to compete with the other guy. And in the first game, I paced him the whole way…but he was 6 pins ahead and I went X X 9 and he struck out to beat me by 7 pins.

Game 2 was two spares, a missed single 7-pin, two more spares, a missed single 10-pin, two more spares…then I actually struck a couple times…but hard to hit 200 if I miss a spare every third frame and don't strike till the 9th frame.

All of the last half of Game 2 I was using the Le. Revolver on the left lane and the D. Encounter on the right lane…which is annoying because I have to keep taking my VISE thumb insert out between frames. Well, shot 1 of Game 3 I strike brooklyn. I made my move and looked at my next shot in frame 3 and KNEW I couldn't make that turn. Once I looked down at my notes and saw that I'd be left of center and targeting greater than 15…I knew frame 3 was gonna be a big miss right…but…after another strike in the second frame…I used the line anyways and left the damn 1-2-8 (my nemesis!). So I used the D. Encounter the rest of Game 3. It wasn't as bad as the score indicates…only two opens…a 6-7-10 split and a 4-6 split. But the 4-6 split was in the 10th…so...

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.85 pins
    Strikes: 39% (1 turkey, 4 doubles, and 2 singles)
    Spares: 73% picked up

Single Pin spares: 66% (6/9)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 5-pin, 7-pin, 10-pin (2x each)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 4-pin, 6-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 80% (8/10)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 6-10 (2x).

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 191.67.
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 202.67.

Still gotta get used to sliding. Most of my bad shots were sliding and losing my balance or trying to compensate for the imbalance.

This was another rare game where my multi-pin spare shooting was better than single-pin spare shooting. Picked up every multi-pin spare that wasn't a split.

This game shows the value of doubling versus single strikes. Last week was mostly singles…and I averaged 10 pins lower.

The MOST disappointing thing about tonight happened on the 2nd to last shot. I guess as a anchor, I'm going to have to get used to this…but it sure felt horrible.

Our team won the first game and the other team won the 2nd game. We needed 23 points + a win in Game 3 to take 3. I was the last won to roll and I knew if I just marked we'd tie. And I knew if I struck or marked and kept it on the lane we'd win and split. So, I went up, feeling confident after a strike in the 9th…finally my time to 'matter' as the team anchor…and I leave the 4-6 split in the 10th. Lost by 9 pins. Ughhh….
    Last edited by Aslan; 08-13-2015 at 03:04 AM.

Chats: 32

Not coming though in the clutch sucks it's happened to me a couple of times this summer. Just remember you will win some for the team but your going to lose some too. Don't let it get in your head. I just changed the sole son my SST8 to the S10 (more slide) from the S8 and it caused me some problems last night I seem to be sliding on my third step I guess I'm too much up on the toes killed me Friday night. All in all nice scores
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 256

As an anchor, you will have those low times(have had my share of that), but you will also get those times when you strike out to win by 1 pin as well. Take the good with the bad and learn from the experiences.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    As an anchor, you will have those low times(have had my share of that), but you will also get those times when you strike out to win by 1 pin as well. Take the good with the bad and learn from the experiences.
    Agreed. It's my first time being on a team where I'm in that role and for the most part I do pretty well and it actually contributes to me bowling a little better. Most people tend to bowl worse when the pressure is on...I tend to bowl worse if there is no pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    last night I seem to be sliding on my third step I guess I'm too much up on the toes killed me Friday night.
    Yeah. I noticed that last night as well. My Brunswick shoes didn't have much slide at all. My white Dexters had the perfect amount of slide, but were 0.5 to 1 size too small. So I'm currently using a black pair of Dexters that seem to only be about 1/2 size small and a little too narrow...but they slide way more than the white ones (newer, barely used, etc...). And I noticed that same thing you mentioned...as I went to take my 3rd step...my left foot would 'slip' a little as I got up on my sole/toes....and the other shoes I didn't have that problem.

I might invest in a decent pair of shoes. I need to talk to my coach about it. When I didn't slide much...shoes weren't really an issue. I liked the Brunswicks because they fit the best. But now...wooo...I sometimes feel like Bambi on an ice rink.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Thats my issue to my first game is always 10 to 15 pins below my average.

Tuesday League Night: low oil synthetics

526 Series: 168-193-165

The lanes were dry tonight. Not sure why. But once again this house just seems to do whatever they can to keep people guessing.

In Game 1 I started with the D. Encounter because the Le. Revolver was hooking WAY too much. Third frame I chopped the 1-2…then in the 8th I chopped the 2-4. Then in the 10th I chopped the lovely 1-3-8-10. And I only left the dang 1-3-8-10 because we got MOVED from the lanes we were on to a pair on the other side of the center. Equipment malfunction. So, 9th frame and 10th frame I went Brooklyn as I realised these lanes were even drier than the other side.

Game 2 I was clean through 7 until I left the 4-6-7 in the 8th and then completely tugged the next shot leaving the 1-2-3-5-6-9-10. I was quickly learning that with my new release…if I really "try" to put axis rotation on the ball…I can cause it to hook alot more than I would have thought.

Game 3 I balled down to the Asylum but made the stupid error of going back to 2nd arrow. That was stupid because I don't usually go back that far when balling down…and the Asylum may be the weakest of the 3 balls I'm using right now…but it's really not that much weaker than the D. Encounter…so I should have known going back outside wasn't gonna work. So, by the time I got dialed in…it was the 5th frame. And I just couldn't stop chopping easy spares…missed a 6-10 in the 2nd and chopped another 6-10 in the 7th….and ANOTHER in the 10th!!!

So SERIOUSLY…who has EVER MISSED THREE 6-10 leaves in the SAME GAME!!!?? Thats…maddening…

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.68 pins
    Strikes: 38% (1 turkey, 2 doubles, and 5 singles)
    Spares: 57% picked up

Single Pin spares: 100% (8/8)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 5-pin (3x).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 2-pin, 3-pin, 8-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 27% (3/11)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 6-10 (3x).

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Average over 3 games: 175.33.

Wow. Two-for-two on the 3-6-10…and I made my ole buddy the 2-4-8…but when it came to the easy ones….6-10, 1-2, 2-4…those I either missed or in most cases chopped.

I kinda balme Susie Minshew….I read her article about picking up single-pin spares on BTM….and apparently I didn't read the fine print where it says "this method will help you with single-pin spares but you'll miss every make-able multi-pin spare."

I don't think I had a consistent approach. My knee has been giving me trouble since Friday and I think I was worried about it and not bending it enough. And early on I was breaking my elbow eather than swinging through the shot. Honestly, the team took 3 of 4 points…I won $4 by winning 2 of the poker hands…our female bowlers wasn't there so it was sort of a "guy's night" where we could be slightly more vulger than normal…we got a free round of drinks from the center for the equipment malfunction and subsequently moving us…and most of all…my knee hald up. And thats good news because Saturday I was thinking it might be a surgery thing. And can the bowling world survive with Aslan out of action for 6-18 months??

If your answer was a snarky "yeah"…then let me paint it another way…can the world tolerate and Aslan that due to injury is unable to bowl and devotes all that energy into writing 4000 word posts on the internet 24-7??? I thought so.
    Last edited by Aslan; 08-19-2015 at 02:33 AM.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Tuesday League Night: low oil synthetics

526 Series: 168-193-165

The lanes were dry tonight. Not sure why. But once again this house just seems to do whatever they can to keep people guessing.

In Game 1 I started with the D. Encounter because the Le. Revolver was hooking WAY too much. Third frame I chopped the 1-2…then in the 8th I chopped the 2-4. Then in the 10th I chopped the lovely 1-3-8-10. And I only left the dang 1-3-8-10 because we got MOVED from the lanes we were on to a pair on the other side of the center. Equipment malfunction. So, 9th frame and 10th frame I went Brooklyn as I realised these lanes were even drier than the other side.

Game 2 I was clean through 7 until I left the 4-6-7 in the 8th and then completely tugged the next shot leaving the 1-2-3-5-6-9-10. I was quickly learning that with my new release…if I really "try" to put axis rotation on the ball…I can cause it to hook alot more than I would have thought.

Game 3 I balled down to the Asylum but made the stupid error of going back to 2nd arrow. That was stupid because I don't usually go back that far when balling down…and the Asylum may be the weakest of the 3 balls I'm using right now…but it's really not that much weaker than the D. Encounter…so I should have known going back outside wasn't gonna work. So, by the time I got dialed in…it was the 5th frame. And I just couldn't stop chopping easy spares…missed a 6-10 in the 2nd and chopped another 6-10 in the 7th….and ANOTHER in the 10th!!!

So SERIOUSLY…who has EVER MISSED THREE 6-10 leaves in the SAME GAME!!!?? Thats…maddening…

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.68 pins
    Strikes: 38% (1 turkey, 2 doubles, and 5 singles)
    Spares: 57% picked up

Single Pin spares: 100% (8/8)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 5-pin (3x).
    Never left a single 1-pin, 2-pin, 3-pin, 8-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 27% (3/11)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 6-10 (3x).

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Average over 3 games: 175.33.

Wow. Two-for-two on the 3-6-10…and I made my ole buddy the 2-4-8…but when it came to the easy ones….6-10, 1-2, 2-4…those I either missed or in most cases chopped.

I kinda balme Susie Minshew….I read her article about picking up single-pin spares on BTM….and apparently I didn't read the fine print where it says "this method will help you with single-pin spares but you'll miss every make-able multi-pin spare."

I don't think I had a consistent approach. My knee has been giving me trouble since Friday and I think I was worried about it and not bending it enough. And early on I was breaking my elbow eather than swinging through the shot. Honestly, the team took 3 of 4 points…I won $4 by winning 2 of the poker hands…our female bowlers wasn't there so it was sort of a "guy's night" where we could be slightly more vulger than normal…we got a free round of drinks from the center for the equipment malfunction and subsequently moving us…and most of all…my knee hald up. And thats good news because Saturday I was thinking it might be a surgery thing. And can the bowling world survive with Aslan out of action for 6-18 months??

If your answer was a snarky "yeah"…then let me paint it another way…can the world tolerate and Aslan that due to injury is unable to bowl and devotes all that energy into writing 4000 word posts on the internet 24-7??? I thought so.

GET a knee replacement and a urethane bowling ball for the dry lanes... second thought,,, THINK seriously before you let Anyone cut on you. So many natural supplements that can help! 3 right off the bat that will help. MSM,,, (read about it), magnesium, potassium, and K-2.... that's four, but remarkable! I use to have knee pain 3 years ago,,, but now feel like a 30 year old greek god!

Stay away form sugar!!!!!

use stevia when needed, eat REAL organic foods, and pure water, juice like ICEMAN everyday!!!

seriously try changing your eating habits.... Sugar DOES cause inflammation, the root of most PAIN!!

I actually feel stronger, and in better health now then when we met last September!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Page 81 of 226 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591131181 ... LastLast