Page 14 of 226 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    Slingshot was hooking too much? May I suggest a plastic ball?
    Believe me...when I was struggling with the spares...I thought to myself, "THIS is an example where I might throw a urethane ball instead of a weak reactive!!" Becuase, if a ball with a PerfectScale hook rating of 157-159 is hooking too much to hit a single 10-pin (without varying your release which I'm reluctant to do)...THAT is an example of the need for a "spare ball". Granted...this night was the FIRST time in over 700 games I've come across that situation...but yes, I should have brought my Blue Knight with me.

What this condition "sort of" allowed me to work on was my inside game. I bowled about 4 games starting 4-11 boards left of center and throwing between the 15-21 board. On most conditions, I can't get away with that using a symmetric ball...but these lanes were so dang dry that at a moderate speed...it was coming back ot the pocket. So, at least I got to play around a bit with that. The Slingshot wouldn't have made it back...but the Rhythm did.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 176; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Practice for Sweeps in Las Vegas: synthetic lanes/medium oil

I knew the slicker synthetic conditions would be tough; especially after playing on the lanes at Southpointe during my lesson with Rob.

455 Series: 120-160-175
    Game 1 was missing the headpin and not making spares when I needed to. Game 2 was much of the same, but was getting closer to the headpin…unfortunately with a few splits. Game 3 I got 5 strikes, but was still struggling with picking up splits.

441 Series: 156-121-164
    Game 1 was just as horrible as the first game of the previous series, but finished with 3 strikes in the 9th and 10th to salvage a decent score. Game 2, just horrible. Game 3 also horrible, but spare shooting was starting to improve.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 7.97 pins
    Strikes: 28% (2 triples, 2 doubles and the rest singles)
    Spares: 40% picked up

Single Pin spares: 42% (3/7)
    Most common single pin leave: Single 3-pin and single 10-pin (twice each)
    Never left a single 4-pin, 5-pin, 8-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 40% (15/37)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 3-10 and 2-4-5(3x each).

Splits: 40% (2/5)

Average over 6 games: 149.33
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 155.33

I tried to get my higher speed approach to work on these lanes and it just wasn't happening.
    Last edited by Aslan; 03-24-2014 at 01:40 AM.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Sweeps in Las Vegas: medium oil synthetics

432 Series: 113-135-184
    Was all over the place in game 1. Only 3-4 marks. Missed both single-pin spares by inches. In game 2, more of the same. Trouble hitting the headpin. Hit the headpin 4 times and struck 3 of the 4…but ya can't win if ya can't hit the headpin. In game 3 I slowed things down. I tried to throw it as slow as I could. Was a single 6-pin and single 7-pin away from a clean game and more importantly, never missed the headpin.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.27 pins
    Strikes: 30% (1 double and the rest singles)
    Spares: 34% picked up

Single Pin spares: 50% (4/8)
    Most common single pin leave: Single 6-pin (3x)
    Never left a single 2-pin, 3-pin, 5-pin, 8-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 26% (4/15)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2-8 (3x).

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 144.00
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 156.67

Obviously sweeps didn't go as I had hoped. Really struggled with getting my speed down. In game 3, I felt like I was an 81-year old man just walking up there and dropping the ball. Didn't feel like I was getting anything from the release…just dropping it. But, dropping it worked a heck of a lot better than throwing it! So I'll be working on slowing things down, rolling it, etc… as I get ready for the next league. The difficulty is I'll still be playing on wood lanes for awhile

Friday practice (wood lanes/low-medium oil)

186-145-127-189
    Was trying to work on some things Rob worked on with me. And also had to get used to drier conditions than last I saw in Vegas.

Game 1 went well. Only a couple frames shy of or a clean game. But the lanes were kinda dry and I was moving to far outside, so in Game 2 I tried playing the inside with the Rhythm. But as usual, it didn't have the 'snap' to make it back into the pocket. So in Game 3 I went back to the Slingshot playing the outside 5-6 boards. Couldn't strike, couldn't pick up more than 3 spares, just abysmal. So I bought one more game to see if maybe I could go back to my old ways and see an improvement…might not be ready for Rob's slower/roller method just yet, without more practice. Game 4 went much better (only 2 open frames) with my higher speed, higher loft approach….so I figured I'd go back to my old ways for the league games and practice Rob's items at a later date.

Friday League: wood lanes, medium oil

522 Series: 176-201-145
    Had trouble with the 6-pin in Game 1. Left a 6-pin, a 3-6-10, the 6-10 twice, and a 6-7 split in the 10th. But, only missed 1 makable spare in Game 1 (chopped a 6-10) so I felt good about that; 2 frames from a clean game (9th & 10th). And actually went back to Rob's teachings and was using a slower, more of a roll, type approach.

Game 2 I was really feeling good. A spare, a double, another spare, then a triple to start. 7 clean games before pulling a shot and leaving a 3-6-9-10 which I chopped. Then I left the single 6-pin in the 9th and 10th and missed it in the 10th to once again finish 2 frames away from a clean game.

Game 3 the alcohol started kicking in, then we had an earthquake midway through the game. But all that aside, I had moved from targeting the 8-board to targeting the 6-board and I think I pulled more than a few shots trying to stay out of that right gutter.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.58 pins
    Strikes: 29% (1 triple and 3 doubles)
    Spares: 54% picked up

Single Pin spares: 66% (6/9)
    Most common single pin leave: Single 6-pin (4x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 2-pin, 3-pin, 8-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 46% (6/13)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 3-6-10 (2x), 6-10 (2x), and 2-5 (2x).

Splits: 0% (0/4)

Average over 3 games: 174.00
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 183.83

Bowled above my average and got a 200+ game. But I'm upset that I didn't get a couple clean games and a 525 series out of the deal.

Monday Practice: wood lanes/medium oil

509 Series: 180-138-191
    I decided to use the Rhythm instead of the Slingshot. Wanted to see if I could figure out how to play inside. Started out targeting the 6-board. Was working on the new approach Rob M. worked with me on. I did quite well, but struggled with the release. I focused so much on rolling the ball, slowing my speed, and improving my accuracy…that sometimes I'd just drop the dang thing…and it would roll straight into the right side of the pins. Also struggled early with carry…and if I "tried" to get more hook I'd end up crossing over.

501 Series: 149-158-194
    Okay, games 4 and 5…I admit I was really second guessing Mr. Mautner. I mean, I understand slowing the ball down, rolling it, and letting the ball do the work…but when you're rolling a symmetric ball end over end it goes STRAIGHT! Hand behind it…straight as an arrow. Directly into the 3-pin leaving me with some stupid 1-2-4-10 nonsense. I decided to move left and play the 12-board instead of the 6-board. Figured if I was going to throw a straight ball…might as well move closer to the pocket. Game 6 was much better. Still had a few that strayed right…but was clean through 9 frames before chopping a 9-10 leave in the 10th.

535 Series: 155-158-222
    More of the same in games 7 and 8. Did pretty well, but had the occasional straight ball go slightly to the right…leave a 1-2-8. Game 9 I came in high on a couple of shots but picked up the spares. Only one open frame…missed left on a single 7-pin in the 5th. THAT was the game things started coming together. I realized that the reason I wasn't getting the revs was I wasn't doing the final part of the new approach/release…I wasn't finishing by pointing towards the pins. I was just concentrating on the accuracy and just letting the ball go.

543 Series: 191-172-180
    More of the same in the 10th game. A few frames where I'd lose focus on the release and the ball would hit right…but I was getting the hang of it. A 3-10 split in the 2nd away from a clean game. In game 11 I was tired and I tweaked my knee. But still, I was only a couple splits and a 4-7 away from a clean game. More of the same in game 12. Mostly solid, but a few releases were flat and missed right.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.62 pins
    Strikes: 39% (3 triples, 9 doubles, and the rest singles)
    Spares: 54% picked up

Single Pin spares: 72% (18/25)
    Most common single pin leave: Single 10-pin (10x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 3-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 45% (22/48)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 1-2-8 (5x).

Splits: 0% (0/8)

Average over 12 games: 174.00
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 179.25.

Overall, a continuation of Friday night's successes. It seems using Rob's techniques I've went from a mid-upper 160s bowler to a mid-upper 170s bowler. Still not at the 190 level I'm aiming for…but 10 pins in only 1-2 practice sessions is pretty darn good.

So...as a "props" to Rob M:

Since his lesson...NOT counting Sweeps because Vegas bowling alleys are evil and they use too much oil...

Since the lesson:

- My average is up from 166 to 174.
    - My overall spare pick-up rate is up from about 40% to 54%.
    - My strike rate is up from about 30% to 39%.
    - Multi-pin spare pick-up rate is up from about 40% to about 46%.
    - Single pin spare pick-up rate is up from about 61% to about 69%.
    - Lifetime average up from 147 to 148.

Actual scores are still pretty close...because I'm still "learning" what I was taught. The 7 series prior to the changes I averaged a 506 series with scores ranging from 135-210. AFTER the changes, over 5 series I am averaging a 522 with scores ranging from 138-222.

But while I'm seeing statistical improvement (also why I like to keep score during practice)...I think the real advantage is going to come later as I:

1) Transition to synthetic lanes (will begin adding to center in late April through beginning of June) where my old speed dominant/high loft approach has failed me.
    and
    2) I graduate to an arsenal (later this year) where I'll be throwing a stronger, assymetric ball.

So far so good Rob M.!!! Looks like ya can teach an old dog new tricks!! Not at 190 yet....but I got 21 weeks until this league sweeps in Laughlin...and I plan to swing by Vegas for lesson #2...especially if MWhite, my tri-grip ball driller extraordinaire continues to be MIA....because the next closest tri-grip drillers are both in Vegas.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    So...as a "props" to Rob M:

Since his lesson...NOT counting Sweeps because Vegas bowling alleys are evil and they use too much oil...

Since the lesson:

- My average is up from 166 to 174.
    - My overall spare pick-up rate is up from about 40% to 54%.
    - My strike rate is up from about 30% to 39%.
    - Multi-pin spare pick-up rate is up from about 40% to about 46%.
    - Single pin spare pick-up rate is up from about 61% to about 69%.
    - Lifetime average up from 147 to 148.

Actual scores are still pretty close...because I'm still "learning" what I was taught. The 7 series prior to the changes I averaged a 506 series with scores ranging from 135-210. AFTER the changes, over 5 series I am averaging a 522 with scores ranging from 138-222.

But while I'm seeing statistical improvement (also why I like to keep score during practice)...I think the real advantage is going to come later as I:

1) Transition to synthetic lanes (will begin adding to center in late April through beginning of June) where my old speed dominant/high loft approach has failed me.
    and
    2) I graduate to an arsenal (later this year) where I'll be throwing a stronger, assymetric ball.

So far so good Rob M.!!! Looks like ya can teach an old dog new tricks!! Not at 190 yet....but I got 21 weeks until this league sweeps in Laughlin...and I plan to swing by Vegas for lesson #2...especially if MWhite, my tri-grip ball driller extraordinaire continues to be MIA....because the next closest tri-grip drillers are both in Vegas.
    Not MIA, just very busy with other people getting ready for both Reno, and Nevada Sweeps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    Not MIA, just very busy with other people getting ready for both Reno, and Nevada Sweeps.
    Good. I thought you were mad at me.

Thursday League: Pre-League practice: wood lanes/medium oil

420 Series: 156-137-127
    Still trying to work on the items Rob M. taught me. Trying to use the more aggressive Rhythm, despite the lanes being more suited to a less aggressive coverstock because I'm trying to get used to letting the ball and lane interact with each other rather than loft it 15ft and hope I hit the pocket. Game 1 was okay. I left the 2-4-5 twice which is common when I don't get a good release and the ball hits the pocket too far right. Even worse in Game 2. 3 strikes, 3 right side (normal) leaves, and 3 disaster left side leaves indicitive of, again, not making it back to the pocket. Game 3 I struck 4 times, but didn't pick up ONE spare.

Thursday League: wood lanes/medium oil
    439 Series: 156-139-144

More of the same. Game 1 I didn't make ONE spare, and most of the leaves were the ball not making it back to the pocket. Game 2, more of the same. Game 3 was a little better, but I had a couple unmakeable splits to keep my scoreing down.

PinPal Stats (combined):
    First Ball Average: 8.16 pins
    Strikes: 30% (3 doubles and the rest singles)
    Spares: 35% picked up
    Single Pin spares: 58% (7/12)
    Most common single pin leave: Single 10-pin (4x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 2-pin, 8-pin, nor 9-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 26% (8/31)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 2-4-5 (3x) and 6-10 (3x).

Splits: 0% (0/5)

Average over 6 games: 143.17
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 150.00.

There it is. A LOT of red. Not a lot of green. I'm so far resisting the urge to just go back to the Slingshot and "chucking it" because I know I need to adopt a different style if I'm going to be successful on non-wood lanes and take my game to the next level...but nights like these don't help me be patient.

The biggest dilemma right now is; my lofting gets me my revs. My revs help get my symmetric balls back to the pocket. But as I am learning more of a "accurate roll" type of approach/release....the release is sort of a secondary or an afterthought. So even if I hit my target (or near it)...the ball just doesn't seem to move. Rob doesn't want me to "try and get revs"...so I'm trying to let the ball do the work...but same problem I have in golf...I have this building impatience with that damn ball...and I want to MAKE it do what I want it to do.

I have to keep going with the slow/roll/accuracy/point at the pins approach. It's tough, but it's early and it's necessary if I want to do well in Laughlin later this year. One guy we bowled against...who was a really good bowler...he was saying he bowled in Laughlin a couple weeks back and averaged 135 because the "lanes were too slick". All I could think was, "yup...been there done that." And thats the difficulty of playing in a wood house...a LOT of league bowlers carry 175-215 averages but then as soon as they bowl on synthetics...they can't figure out why they can't score higher than 165. It's the opposite problem MOST bowlers have...where they go into a low oil or wood situation and can't keep their ball right of the headpin. But, I think Monday practice, I need work on timing and over the weekend watch some old Earl Anthony videos. My timing was a mess last night...I'd get to the line and the ball would be way behind me. And I need to see how Earl released the ball back in the day. He had a very smooth and accurate delivery that might be worth emulating at this point instead of Walter Ray (which will cause me to chuck it like a horseshoe) of Chris Barnes/Mika (who have mastered a more modern release).

Monday Practice: Wood Lanes/Medium Oil

496 Series: 151-146-199
    First 2 games I struggled with my spare shooting. I got a fair amount of strikes (3-4 per game); but couldn't run any together. Game 3 went much better. Other than a 2-4-5-7 that I chopped in the 1st frame, I was clean the rest of the way and even strung a few strikes together.

505 Series: 177-192-136
    Spotty spare shooting in game 1 but finished strong. I noticed my timing was off. I was concentrating on slowing my speed, rolling it, trying to get some semblance of a release, and accuracy…but in all that mess lost sight of timing so in games 2 and 3 I focused on timing and accuracy. Game 2 was clean until a 5-7 split in the 9th so I figured maybe I was onto something with the whole "timing thing". But then, in game 3, 4-5 splits made me wonder if I needed to go back to the drawing board.

537 Series: 180-178-179
    Pretty consistent huh? In game 1 I decided to emulate Earl Anthony. I have been watching a lot of his footage to see how to lay the ball down in an easier way (rather than "throwing" it). A couple mis-timed splits kept the score low, a 2-10 in the 5th and a 4-6 in the 10th. Missed a 4-7 in the 2nd frame of game 2 then ran into another 4-6 split in the 6th to ruin game 2. In game 3 I started to focus on form and accuracy. I figured if I could get my form right, that takes into account balance and timing. And accuracy is really the key difference between amateurs and pros…so if I can get those 2 things down, then it's just a matter of trying to develop a release. Well, in game 3 I was clean through 8 until I chopped a 6-10 in both the 9th and 10th frames.

580 Series: 175-238 (clean)-167
    Game 1 was more of the same except I really tried to slow things down even more in terms of ball speed. AGAIN chopped a 6-10 in the 3rd frame and then chopped a 2-4-5-8 bucket in the 4th but was clean through the rest. Game 2 I caught fire!! My highest game ever and another clean game for the tally. I felt like a PRO!! I mean, I struck 7 times and the 4 times I didn't were single pin spares that I picked up!! And the great thing is, despite game 3 being kinda a letdown, I stayed clean in game 3 through the 7th until I missed a 4-7 in the 8th then again chopped a 2-4-5-8 bucket in the 10th.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.62 pins
    Strikes: 37% (1 5-bagger, 3 triples, 3 doubles, and the rest singles)
    Spares: 61% picked up

Single Pin spares: 86% (25/29)
    Most common single pin leave: Single 10-pin (8x)
    Never left a single 1-pin nor 3-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 46% (22/47)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: 2-4-5-8 bucket (4x).

Splits: 20% (2/10)

Average over 12 games: 176.50
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 179.92.

The GOOD: Highest game ever! A CLEAN game! A great single-pin pick-up percentage (86%)! Didn't need to revert back to "chucking it" in order to accomplish it!
    The BAD: Still leaving way too many multiple pin spares. Was 0 for 3 in picking up the 6-10.
    The UGLY: Still have no ability to stay behind the ball on the release. I'm trying to become a "transitional bowler", but trying to leave my hand behind the ball just makes it go end over end straight. Tried the new washout pick-up method, throwing straight at them from the left rather than hooking into them, and was 0 for whatever using that method.

Virtual Bowling Tour: Chapparal300 Lanes, Chino Hills CA.

413 Series: 144-134-135
    Had a decent practice game (154). Was struggling all morning trying to get the ball to come back to the pocket though. When I missed, it seemed to miss right and go into the 3-pin. Then in game 1, it was spare shooting. I missed a single 2-pin and a single 3-pin…which I rarely would miss. Game 2 more of the same. Spare shooting slightly improved, but I couldn't strike. Game 3 I struck 3 times, but was leaving just atrocious leaves as I couldn't get my ball back to the pocket.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 7.78 pins
    Strikes: 29% (3 doubles, and 6 singles)
    Spares: 34% picked up

Single Pin spares: 43% (3/7)
    Most common single pin leave: Single 2-pin (3x)
    Never left a single 1-pin, 5-pin, 7-pin, 8-pin, 9-pin, nor 10-pin.

Multiple Pin spares: 32% (7/22)
    Most common multi-pin leaves: full rack and 6-10 (2x each).

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 4 games: 141.75
    Average had I picked up 100% of single pin spare leaves: 149.75.
    Last edited by Aslan; 05-04-2014 at 02:02 AM.

Page 14 of 226 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast